Jerry Kill Slams PJ

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he only wants to help boys turn in to men and football is his method. while i don't agree with his interview, he must see this as a way to teach his boys a life lesson.

I don't think anyone really disagrees that PJ is about himself to a large degree. But I'm not sure what Kill is trying to accomplish by saying this, or why he thinks he's in a place to do so. By winning the Axe, PJ already has a bigger legacy at the U than Kill could get in his tenure.

I love Kill and all he did for the U but it’s getting to the point he’s embarrassing himself and those that associate with him. Maybe he’ll try aw shucks his way out

The fact that it involves younger folks, and physically demanding work.... that just has to raise tensions a bit and change perspectives based on outcomes.

Nahh, it’s way more simpler than that. Kill is jealous and mad he didn’t get the AD job. I seriously doubt he could care less about what happened to Claeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill touched on something I think PJ would like hidden. Kill mentioned how PJ changed and he mentioned PJs first wife, the one who also lost a child. Something happened there with his first wife that caused her to divorce him. PJ isn't a saint, no matter the persona he portrays.
That said, it seems to take a prick to build a football program. PJ may be a top-notch coach and a d!ck at the same time.

Jerry kill is a jackass for bringing up this relationship , until Jerry kill knows what a relationship goes through when you bury a child he can eat a 27" di*k

Like many people, I appreciated much of what Kill did for the program.

But...I think the answer to this weird and childish outburst is a simple one.

This smells like jealousy. Kill worked his way up through the head coaching ranks, clawing to his way from job to job, until finally landing a highly-paid gig at a Power 5 university. He was a millionaire, as well as the most prominent face and name in a big-time athletic program. He was the toast of the Twin Cities.

A few years later and he is the athletic director at a much less important school, making a fraction of the money he used to make, and living in nondescript Carbondale. I can't believe he ever imagined this was how he would serve out his final working years.

I believe Kill is jealous. I probably would be, too. But that's no excuse for him to publicly lash the head coach of his former school. That's a dick move.

NJ.com: Former Rutgers assistant Jerry Kill rips Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck: ‘He’s about himself’

P.J. Fleck’s Rutgers ties will be a storyline when his Minnesota team comes to Piscataway in the fall.

But there would be a heck of a lot more bad blood in play if Jerry Kill was still with the Scarlet Knights.

The former Rutgers offensive coordinator and Minnesota head coach blasted Fleck, who once worked for him, during a Tuesday interview on Sirius XM College Sports Radio. Kill, who was forced to retire after one year on Scarlet Knights coach Chris Ash’s staff due to health issues, recently became Southern Illinois’ permanent athletics director after an interim stint. He was interviewed by Sirius’ A.J. Hawk and Matt Schick following his appointment, and when Fleck came up, Kill went off.

“Do I still root for the Gophers? I do. Do I enjoy him running up and down the sideline? No,” Kill said. “Do I think that he’s about the players? No. He’s about himself.”

Fleck, who just took Minnesota to a bowl game in his second season, played at Northern Illinois and was retained as an assistant there when Kill was hired as NIU’s head coach in 2009. In 2010, he left to become Rutgers wide receivers coach under Greg Schiano.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ps-minnesotas-pj-fleck-hes-about-himself.html

Go Gophers!!

I don't know either PJ or Kill personally....but there are going to be people who don't like other people for one reason or another. I know parents of a former Kill player who could not stand him. I'm sure there are parents who haven't liked every coach....but it doesn't mean they are a bad guy.

Great point but Kill is a bad guy. Good guys don’t play to their illness when it benefits them (how did the media find out about all those seizures that happened at the Kill home)?

PJ annoys me (row the boat $h**t) but that’s not a knock on PJ. I just my find it annoying.

ESPN: Ex-Gophers coach Jerry Kill criticizes current coach P.J. Fleck

Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill is no fan of the man currently leading the Golden Gophers program.

Kill, who recently was named permanent athletic director at Southern Illinois, criticized Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck during an interview Tuesday with SiriusXM College's "Big Ten Today." Kill didn't like the way Fleck handled the transition after taking over the Minnesota program from Tracy Claeys, a longtime Kill assistant.

"Sometimes ego gets carried away," Kill told "Big Ten Today" hosts Matt Schick and A.J. Hawk. "When he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys, telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture and that it was a bad culture and bad people. He made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing.

"I took it personal. You just don't treat people who have helped your career, and you don't even talk to 'em once you get the job."

"Do I enjoy him running up and down the sidelines? No. Do I think he's about the players? No. He's about himself."
Jerry Kill on Gophers coach P.J. Fleck
Kill resigned as Minnesota's coach in October 2015 because of health reasons related to epilepsy. Claeys took over as interim head coach and then landed the permanent job, but was fired after the 2016 season, despite a 9-4 record. Minnesota hired Fleck weeks later.

Fleck served as an assistant for Kill at Northern Illinois, Fleck's alma mater, in 2009 and 2010. Kill said he helped Fleck land the head-coaching position at Western Michigan in 2013.

Kill said the two men spoke once after Fleck got the job at Minnesota.

"It wasn't good," Kill told SiriusXM. "That's the last time, and it will be the last time. Do I still root for the Gophers? I do. Do I enjoy him running up and down the sidelines? No. Do I think he's about the players? No. He's about himself."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-jerry-kill-criticizes-current-coach-pj-fleck

Go Gophers!!

Why? That makes Kill look even worse seeing it in writing. PJ has never said there was bad culture or bad people. Makes Kill look like he’s grasping at straws and bitter

I know, but seeing even more quotes, I agree it looks even worse. Just saying the story is going to pick up some more steam now that it's hitting papers too.

Another excellent post.

I’d add that I will always remember Jerry Kill for publicly saying that he wanted to get his assistants taken care of financially before I worried about his next contract. Not just once, but multiple times.

Staff continuity isn’t by itself indicative of a great culture; however, you can’t take one isolated incident over a year after he leaves and say there was a problem with the culture.

Fleck probably hammered the culture point after getting hired to run off more upperclassmen who would take offense to it and also to get “his guys” in there sooner. That doesn’t mean Kill doesn’t have the right to be upset.

It’s like selling your house and the buyer tells all your neighbors how poor your house was maintained, decorated, and laid out everything was when they got there. Even though you built that house with your bare hands with the same buddies you have been building houses with for many years. And you know what works!

Don't let the old "pay my assistants" fool you. It was a very good idea that Kill ask the U to use part of his HC salary figure to be used for his assistants. It allowed the U to raise their salaries to be competitive. But Kill also knew he would get it back later because it left he salary below his B1G peers. And sure enough, they gave Kill a hefty raise to bring him up to the pack. He got both, pay for his assistants and pay for himself. PJ is PJ, his culture and way of doing things is a big part of his process. I don't think we lost anymore upperclassman than during other coaching changes.

I've read enough to accept that Fleck is a prick with an ego and attitude about how he intends to win. You can't find a coach at that level that isn't a prick so don't get your balls all tightened in your Speedos.
Are you so naive as to imagine PJ is a saint? You must be living in a cave if you think P in PJ doesn't stand for Prick.
But, being a prick doesn't mean he isn't a good football coach who can get the most out of 18-21 year old kids.
Now, go back to your cave if you can't handle PJ getting a bit of criticism.
What you write in a lot of your posts are complete BS and are slanderous! You just make stuff up , just like our President. I suspect you are actually a Russian hacker.

I know, but seeing even more quotes, I agree it looks even worse. Just saying the story is going to pick up some more steam now that it's hitting papers too.

Only ones it’s going to embarrass are kill and SIU as I fully expect PJ to high road this one and come out looking fine

SB Nation: Former coaches almost never rip their successors like Jerry Kill just ripped P.J. Fleck

College football coaching is a high-turnover business, and the churn naturally leads to icy relations between some coaches. When a new coach takes over a program, he’ll almost always talk about building a culture and, broadly, changing the team to make it better. Implicit when that happens is a statement that the last coach didn’t do a good job. Making that more clear, the new coach usually fires all the previous coach’s assistants.

For the most part, this tension stays quiet. When a team’s former coach does interviews, it’s not uncommon for him to simply not talk at all about the guy who came after him.

That context makes these comments, from former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill about current Gophers head man P.J. Fleck, downright jarring:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/19/18232701/jerry-kill-pj-fleck

Go Gophers!!

https://saturdaytradition.com/minn...-into-goldmine/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Saw this on twitter reposted from 2 years ago or so:

Kill on Minnesota after being hired by Rutgers “People were saying they have to rebuild Minnesota. Shoot. That thing is built and ready to go. This year should be the best that Minnesota has had. I support (P.J.) Fleck on what he is doing. You have to do what you have to do. It is his program now. But I am not crazy about him saying they have to rebuild the program. We went in there and said a lot of the same things when I took over, but that’s not the case now. That new A.D. (Mark Coyle) has no idea what we inherited. (Former A.D.) Joel Maturi does. Call him. We inherited a mess. (Fleck) has walked into a gold mine.”

per Rogust: Former Minnesota Coach Jerry Kill Destroys Current Coach PJ Fleck in Wild Interview

Former Minnesota Golden Gophers head coach Jerry Kill is back in the headlines, but not for his work as Southern Illinois University's athletic director. Rather, it's for his scathing comments toward the man who once coached under him and now holds his former job.

During an interview with Sirius XM's A.J. Hawk and Matt Schick on Tuesday, Kill fired some shots at current Minnesota head coach​ P.J. Fleck, who previously worked for him at Northern Illinois. Kill didn't mince any words, saying Fleck changed once he joined the coaching staff of ​Greg Schiano at Rutgers.

It even got to the point where Kill brought up Fleck's first wife.

​“After that, he changed a lot," said Kill. "I’m just going to be honest with you guys. People who have known him before, when he got with Schiano, just his personality changed a lot. I knew his first wife, and he just changed a lot."

Yikes.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6301037-...terview?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[ncaa-football]

Go Gophers!!

Good point. Below is what Fleck had to say at his press conference about Kill. Pretty nice i would say.
Also if Coyle was already hired when Kill had to retire, Claeys wouldn’t have been the coach for 2016
fc15e674d08d3d530d9fa5a58924f4b3.jpg

I’m telling you cats Kill is using Claeys to justify going after PJ. Dude is simply jealous. And what an absolutely Richard move to bring up PJ’s ex.

Nah, this started well before that. Fleck was one of two coaches retained from Novak's staff when Kill came in at NIU. I'm assuming when Fleck bolted for Rutgers, that didn't sit well with Kill.

Interesting, could be why PJ goes out of his way to state he wants his assistant to move on. I always thought that was odd but it makes sense in context of PJ’s personal journey.

Fox 9: Ex-Gophers coach Kill: P.J. Fleck is 'about himself' not the players

Former University of Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill didn't mince words Tuesday when talking about current Gophers Coach P.J. Fleck in a radio interview.

Kill opened up during an interview with Big Ten Sirius XM radio, saying Fleck is "about himself" and not the players. Fleck once worked under Kill in 2008 as the wide receivers coach at Northern Illinois, but Kill claims Fleck's personality has changed.

"Once he became a head coach, I mean I helped him get the job at Western Michigan and I just think sometimes ego gets carried away," said Kill. "And when he went into Minnesota and treated people the way he treated my guys and tell them he had to go in an completely change the culture and it was a bad culture and bad people - you know he made it sound like we didn’t know what we were doing and I took it personal. You just don’t treat people that have been with you and helped your career and you don’t even talk to them you know once you get the job."

http://www.fox9.com/sports/ex-gophers-coach-kill-pj-fleck-is-about-himself-not-the-players

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Great point but Kill is a bad guy. Good guys don’t play to their illness when it benefits them (how did the media find out about all those seizures that happened at the Kill home)?

PJ annoys me (row the boat $h**t) but that’s not a knock on PJ. I just my find it annoying.

I wasn't referring to you....but a parent of a player who played for Kill at a different school. I have no idea what happened, and never asked. But the mother did not like Kill at all, and it seemed to be more personal than just playing time.

Top Bottom