Jerry Kill Slams PJ

So when did PJ directly criticize Jerry? If it happened I missed it. I know PJ talked about culture change and the like, but I recall Jerry did the same thing as a new coach and I don’t think Brewster ever felt the need to publicly complain about it.

PJ drives me crazy sometimes, but so did Jerry. Both have massive egos. I have no problem with that because I think both of them are also massively capable. But I do miss Tracy Claeys and his low key, humble manner.

You have to consider the entire picture at the time: Coyle’s presser/character assassination of the prior coaching staff was still fresh when PJ came in and started talking about changing the culture. The parking lot squabble ensued and Jerry said that was the last time they “spoke”. To his credit PJ did start to specify in better detail what he meant but at the time it was ripe for misunderstanding and I understand Kill’s anger.

All I remember about Jerry was flopping around like a fish on the sidelines. He needs to just go away. He is a bad classless memory.

This is just an excellent post. Also, thinking this and wondering about the last question doesn’t mean someone can’t be a supporter of Fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So embarrassing Wisconsin in their home stadium and not having sex trains in the National Media is the same culture? [emoji1303]Threatened boycotts of Bowl games. Nah, same. Thanks

All I remember about Jerry was flopping around like a fish on the sidelines. He needs to just go away. He is a bad classless memory.
Looks like we found Souhan.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You have to consider the entire picture at the time: Coyle’s presser/character assassination of the prior coaching staff was still fresh when PJ came in and started talking about changing the culture. The parking lot squabble ensued and Jerry said that was the last time they “spoke”. To his credit PJ did start to specify in better detail what he meant but at the time it was ripe for misunderstanding and I understand Kill’s anger.

What was the “parking lot squabble”?

I don't think the 2nd wife is a fair issue to be bringing up unless you have lost a kid the way they did and were somehow able to stay with your wife. I hope to never find out what it's like to lose a child. I can only imagine how difficult that would be.

I honestly have no idea what caused their divorce and really don't need to know. That is between the two parties involved. However, there is nothing elite about divorce. PJ could be 99% not to blame in the relationship, for all I know.

Actually, it's you that needs to go away. That was one scary moment and you make fun of a man's illness? Get lost troll.

How many times do you see a named athletic director at one university openly criticize a head coach at another university? Not a good look Mr. Kill. Appreciated your work extinguishing the dumpster fire and turning things back in the right direction, but I lost a lot of respect for you making the comments that you did. You had the chance to take the high road when asked those particular questions and instead used them to show your bitterness. I hope PJ shows some class and doesn't comment when asked about them.

I had left this alone and tried to move on but.....

Jerry Kill is a hypocritical assh*le of biblical proportions.

The self serving sh**t he did to players when he came in. The leaking seizures to certain media member (not plural) to deflect, trashing players publicly and then telling them he was playing the media and didn’t mean it privately.

Man, I could on and get far more specific but what’s the point. PJ isn’t my cup of tea either but it’s just about style, dude can coach. Kill is just a jealous media whore that needs to go away.

Given how close you were to the program, this is probably the most accurate take on the entire thread. And I liked Jerry.

What was the “parking lot squabble”?

Hey, maybe we’ll find out what was said someday but it clearly touched a nerve. Consider that Kill is obviously very big on loyalty, returning favors etc and to me he clearly feels like PJ crossed a line of some sort. This feels like we need to put PJ and Jerry on a couch with Dr. Phil to help them hug it out.

So embarrassing Wisconsin in their home stadium and not having sex trains in the National Media is the same culture? [emoji1303]Threatened boycotts of Bowl games. Nah, same. Thanks

Why didn’t you go with getting crushed by IL and and having players commit armed robbery?

Given how close you were to the program, this is probably the most accurate take on the entire thread. And I liked Jerry.

A parent would never have unrealistic expectations about their kid or the handling of their kid on an athletic team. Spill it Sportsfan, you’re on.

A parent would never have unrealistic expectations about their kid or the handling of their kid on an athletic team. Spill it Sportsfan, you’re on.

Kim was an iron man on Kill's 1st year team. He was the only good defensive player they had, and I think he played pretty much every snap all year. He wasn't relegated to the bench or passed over, so there's no reason that SF24 would necessarily be bitter.

100% of PJ Flecks coaching philosophy is culture. He thinks the way to win games is with culture. I don't think I've ever heard an interview where he didn't mention culture.

When he says he was hired to change the culture, it means, he was hired to install his culture. Which is his program, his style, his way, etc. It's not a knock on anyone else, and he's said 100 times, he's not saying anything about anyone else.

PJ is his culture. Culture culture culture.

For Kill to take that personally is embarrassing. Maybe things were said behind the scenes. Toughen up sensitive Jer. This is big boy football. And maybe if you weren't so loyal to your crappy offensive assistants, you'd have had more success here (looking at you BA).

Oh, were to start?

Jerry Kill was a great hire for the University of Minnesota. He brought a disciplined approach that eventually led to a New Year’s Day bowl. A first for Minnesota after over 50 years. It was fabulous.
Then Coyle hires the anti-Christ. This guy comes in with slogans, an ex-wife, and worst of all, an ego. What was Coyle thinking? All this rah-rah crap while true Gopher fans wanted more of the same history. Wait until next year had become the mantra of the Gopher faithful.

Now Mr. Kill has ripped open the scab. Laid bare the fallacy of PJ Fleck. Finally, the truth has been spoken. Imagine, RTB on the helmet of Minnesota players. My god, is there any greater sacrilege than that? Almost 60 years of pathetic failure has been torn asunder by this godless, self-promoting, ego eccentric spawn of Satan.
The Gopher football program has been a joke. Period.

Finally, we have some hope and you few are quick to attack the best hire since Lou Holtz. Yep, way better than Mr. Kill. I’m old enough to remember a successful Gopher football team. This is the closest we’ve come in over 55 years. Embrace it.

When I was Kill’s roommate, he once punched me and threatened to have his people take me out.

Since you picked only the parts of the post I liked to fit your agenda, I will do the same.

Jerry Kill’s culture was the sole reason behind a threatened bowl game boycott? Nah, not the same. Couldn’t have been because how the CURRENT administration mishandled the situation the entire way thru.

100% of PJ Flecks coaching philosophy is culture. He thinks the way to win games is with culture. I don't think I've ever heard an interview where he didn't mention culture.

When he says he was hired to change the culture, it means, he was hired to install his culture. Which is his program, his style, his way, etc. It's not a knock on anyone else, and he's said 100 times, he's not saying anything about anyone else.

For Kill to take that personally is embarrassing. Maybe things were said behind the scenes. Toughen up sensitive Jer. This is big boy football. And maybe if you weren't so loyal to your crappy offensive assistants, you'd have had more success here (looking at you BA).

Pretty funny, in the context of the rest of you getting upset about criticism of PJ.

This has been brewing for a while, both on GH and by what hasn't been said. It's been the elephant in the room and Jerry finally called it out. Jerry has always like to speak his mind, so it's not surprising to me that it finally came out. He wasn't going to Southern Illinois quietly...

It's also pretty clear that Jerry saw Tracy as an extension of himself and what he built, so the endless chatter about Claeys carving his own niche, 1st year coach, etc doesn't seem to mean much to him.

1. Bringing PJ's divorce in to this is unnecessary.

2. Questioning why people change from before a divorce to after is also questionable. Maybe when you saw him and her before the marriage both were unhappy. Then they changed by becoming happy. Being happy will change people a quite a bit.

3. PJ lost his son. Going through grieving of a child isn't a normal process. Maybe that's what changed PJ.

4. I liked Kill and I like PJ. This seems unnecessary, but it appears more sour grapes or lingering bitterness on behalf of Kill. He seemed a bit thin skinned about taking a change of culture this personally. If you were proud of the culture you had, it shouldn't need defending. Ol' Jerr is really hung up about continually defending it and he's pointing at Fleck and Coyle. Maybe he has some displaced anger there.

(I think the culture was good with Kill, but they had the untimely event after he left and that was all Coyle needed for an excuse to bring in his guy).

Oh, were to start?

Jerry Kill was a great hire for the University of Minnesota. He brought a disciplined approach that eventually led to a New Year’s Day bowl. A first for Minnesota after over 50 years. It was fabulous.
Then Coyle hires the anti-Christ. This guy comes in with slogans, an ex-wife, and worst of all, an ego. What was Coyle thinking? All this rah-rah crap while true Gopher fans wanted more of the same history. Wait until next year had become the mantra of the Gopher faithful.

Now Mr. Kill has ripped open the scab. Laid bare the fallacy of PJ Fleck. Finally, the truth has been spoken. Imagine, RTB on the helmet of Minnesota players. My god, is there any greater sacrilege than that? Almost 60 years of pathetic failure has been torn asunder by this godless, self-promoting, ego eccentric spawn of Satan.
The Gopher football program has been a joke. Period.

Finally, we have some hope and you few are quick to attack the best hire since Lou Holtz. Yep, way better than Mr. Kill. I’m old enough to remember a successful Gopher football team. This is the closest we’ve come in over 55 years. Embrace it.

Tremendous [emoji106]

Jerry Kill says PJ changed,

ask PJ's ex-wife.

AJ Barker says bad things about Kill,

ask AJ's mom's friend.

I’m not defending Kill - it’s a bad idea to go public like this. I don’t have a problem with him calling out those early days after Claeys was fired because I agree with his assessment but he needs to move on.

Coyle definitely took shots at Kill/Claeys, so maybe some of Kill's anger is misplaced. I think PJ was urged by Coyle to talk a lot about changing culture at the initial press conference and I think his message of his own culture got mixed in with Coyle's shots at the Kill culture. Thus the confusion.

Top Bottom