Jerry Kill Slams PJ

I was out when these 28 pages of comments marched forth from GH. So, I'm sure there are others that share my feelings but just to reiterate:

1. Sad about Kill's comments. Makes him look petty.
2. Kill hinted or talked outright about this on several occasions, with the worst being the sirius radio interview this week. He seems to be butt hurt about two things: Fleck mentioning the need for a culture change, and the dismissal of Claeys and staff. These hard feelings have mixed and grown into comments that make Kill look petty.
3. Ironically, I don't have any memory of Fleck bad mouthing Kill and although his comments might reveal some hard feelings, he always managed to stay professional with his public comments. When talking about the need for change and culture improvement, I don't recall Fleck ever calling out specific coaching regimes that came before him. He would always say "50 years" which to me meant that the program was hindered by 50 years of losing. Kill apparently read between the lines and took this personally.
4. comments about ex-wives is totally out of bounds and central to the need for an apology
5. Previous Kill comments about never stepping foot on campus or in the stadium again sadly fit with this recent radio interview to make him look small.
6. If he had chosen a different set of responses, Kill was positioned to be continually remembered as a great agent for a turn around and setting the stage for any success that Fleck has. Instead he will be remembered as a petty guy that took things personally.

I had very fond feelings related to Kill and staff and I was very happy with the way they dug in, worked hard, and turned the team from a near-joke level to a hardened "tough out" with possibilities of even reaching higher. I was sad about him having to quit and I will always wonder what he would have accomplished if he had been able to be the head coach here long term. Now he will be mostly remembered as that sniping, petty coach that was here before Fleck.

I was out when these 28 pages of comments marched forth from GH. So, I'm sure there are others that share my feelings but just to reiterate:

2. Kill hinted or talked outright about this on several occasions, with the worst being the sirius radio interview this week. He seems to be butt hurt about two things: Fleck mentioning the need for a culture change, and the dismissal of Claeys and staff. These hard feelings have mixed and grown into comments that make Kill look petty.
3. Ironically, I don't have any memory of Fleck bad mouthing Kill and although his comments might reveal some hard feelings, he always managed to stay professional with his public comments. When talking about the need for change and culture improvement, I don't recall Fleck ever calling out specific coaching regimes that came before him. He would always say "50 years" which to me meant that the program was hindered by 50 years of losing. Kill apparently read between the lines and took this personally.
4. comments about ex-wives is totally out of bounds and central to the need for an apology
5. Previous Kill comments about never stepping foot on campus or in the stadium again sadly fit with this recent radio interview to make him look small.
6. If he had chosen a different set of responses, Kill was positioned to be continually remembered as a great agent for a turn around and setting the stage for any success that Fleck has. Instead he will be remembered as a petty guy that took things personally.

I had very fond feelings related to Kill and staff and I was very happy with the way they dug in, worked hard, and turned the team from a near-joke level to a hardened "tough out" with possibilities of even reaching higher. I was sad about him having to quit and I will always wonder what he would have accomplished if he had been able to be the head coach here long term. Now he will be mostly remembered as that sniping, petty coach that was here before Fleck.

You could have saved us 28 pages on this topic if you had posted earlier. Very well stated.

I wonder if Jerry wishes he hadn't quit MN....

- It was very sudden.
- He was really emotional when it happened.
- The University reportedly offered him the option of taking some time off or anything he needed to not quit...
- Dan O'Brien straight up said he was sure Jerry would be coaching again.

I wonder if all the hurt feelings really started from a bad call on Jerry's part. Then things went bad from there and Jerry just doesn't know how to operate for long without coaching...

Jerry Kill is a small man. He revealed his character this week.

BINGO! Let's not forget Jerry that TC fired Limegrover within days of becoming the U's official HC. I respected that move because after years of staff cohesion, TC broke the mold. He was doing it his way... the right way.

Now we Have Fleck and guess what? PJ is doing it his way.. the right way. That can be respected, right???

Everyone agrees it was an inappropriate forum to vent like that.

I'm not sure there is an appropriate forum for Kill to vent like that. Kill is free to have whatever opinion he wants of Fleck, but to go off unprovoked like that, 2 years after the hire is just weird. Jealousy has to be a big part of this, Kill wants to be where Fleck is right now.

For my part I am glad people are finally getting to see the other side of Jerry Kill. When he took over at the U he didn't exactly treat the people in place well as he rushed them out to bring in his own guys but nobody saw that side of him because he hid it well behind his awe shucks, down home, country boy routine. Kill's ego is just as big as Fleck's, he just doesn't want people to think it is.

Kill needs to go away and focus on what he is doing now, let whatever beef he has towards Fleck and the U go, and move on. The amazing part of all this is in the end he probably ends up helping Fleck, since pretty much everyone has slammed Kill for it.

BINGO! Let's not forget Jerry that TC fired Limegrover within days of becoming the U's official HC. I respected that move because after years of staff cohesion, TC broke the mold. He was doing it his way... the right way.

Now we Have Fleck and guess what? PJ is doing it his way.. the right way. That can be respected, right???

Jerry's loyalty to Limegrover always made me wonder if we had seen the plateau of Jerry & Co in 2014....

Very well said, +1000

I bought the book, "Chasing Dreams" and had it autographed. He signed it, "To XXXXX, thank you for being my number one fan". This number one fan is sad about it. In his book, he faced opposition head on and overcame. This is so far from the Jerry Kill I read about in the book. Whether it's Meds, Old-Age, or something else; I am shocked and disappointed. I'm not going to go so far as to burn his book, but I will not look up to him in the way I did in the past. #RTB and Ski-U-Mah!

KARE 11: Jerry Kill vs. P.J. Fleck

There's a bit of drama between the current Gopher football coach, and a former Gopher football coach.

While the ish between Jerry Kill and P.J. Fleck may have been known to some for years, it is now way out in the open, after Kill let his thoughts on Fleck be known Tuesday night... on a radio show.

This was too big to not bring in sports relationship expert Paul Lambert, better known as Meatsauce on the KFAN PowerTrip morning show.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...fleck/89-92abeb95-ab51-441b-905b-0e2c2543d8e7

Go Gophers!!

I almost never watch "Breaking the News" but I happened to somehow see it last night. Hearing meat sauce referred to as a "sports relationship expert" caused my drink to to exit my nose. Of course he just used the opportunity to express why he doesn't like Fleck. They took the time to do a segment on Kill's sirius radio interview and "feud" with Fleck and even involved a "sports relationship expert" but failed to mention the comments about the ex-wife, or much history at all related to comments made prior to the interview. All in all it was a good reminder of why I don't watch "breaking the news" given how shallow the reporting is.

These coaches are just men, with faulty personalities and character faults and personal spats like you and me. Look at how many of you have responded to a public insult- with public insults that in many cases go way beyond what Jerry said. In some cases there has been some level of an inflation of what he really said to garner an increase in outrage. Is that really any better than what Kill did? Are many of you any better ? No.

He shouldn’t have gone out of his way to say what he did, in a public forum. He should issue an apology. Then everyone should move on.

These coaches are just men, with faulty personalities and character faults and personal spats like you and me. Look at how many of you have responded to a public insult- with public insults that in many cases go way beyond what Jerry said. In some cases there has been some level of an inflation of what he really said to garner an increase in outrage. Is that really any better than what Kill did? Are many of you any better ? No.

He shouldn’t have gone out of his way to say what he did, in a public forum. He should issue an apology. Then everyone should move on.

Yes we've all done it in the heat of battle - But 3+ year later and on the news. Way different.

Yes we've all done it in the heat of battle - But 3+ year later and on the news. Way different.

Of all the things said about PJ, the rumors, you think this is worse? It’s sensational only because Kill is a fellow public figure, not because what he said is particularly outrageous or insulting. All of the items have been raised in public forums here and elsewhere. It’s already out there. JK didn’t create it.

Following Jerry Kill's comments, Gophers jump to show support for P.J. Fleck

Several Minnesota football players have jumped to the defense of their head coach following recent comments made by former program leader Jerry Kill.

Earlier this week, Kill slammed Fleck in a radio interview, saying he’s lost a lot of respect for the current Gophers head coach and that Fleck is “about himself.”

“Do I still root for the Gophers? I do,” Kill said. “Do I enjoy him running up and down the sideline? No. Do I think that he’s about the players? No. He’s about himself.

“You can’t tell me — you’ve watched him — you listen to his interviews, you think he thinks about the players? I just lost a lot of respect.”

Those comments didn’t sit well with several current Gophers. Guys like Carter Coughlin, Rashod Bateman, Tanner Morgan and others jumped to defend their head coach following Kill’s comments.

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...s-gophers-jump-to-show-support-for-p-j-fleck/

Go Gophers!!

Jerry Kill was completely out of line in this interview. The 2 guys were ready to sign off with him before he made a random comment that Fleck probably doesn't like him, which led to the 2-4 minute rant because they had to ask why? They never asked about Fleck, it was unprovoked.

The purpose of the interview was for his recent hire as SIU AD, and he took it as his personal chance to take shots at the Gopher program over the way Tracy Claeys was dismissed. This had little to do with Fleck, he felt the need to stand up for his friend Claeys, and that's how he chose to do it.

Why change coaches if you're not going to change the culture? Claeys was a nice guy, but not head coaching material. Never will be.

People change, stuff happens. What matters right now is the current group of Gophers love playing for Fleck. We'll see how it translates on the field this season.

Jerry Kill was completely out of line in this interview. The 2 guys were ready to sign off with him before he made a random comment that Fleck probably doesn't like him, which led to the 2-4 minute rant because they had to ask why? They never asked about Fleck, it was unprovoked.

The purpose of the interview was for his recent hire as SIU AD, and he took it as his personal chance to take shots at the Gopher program over the way Tracy Claeys was dismissed. This had little to do with Fleck, he felt the need to stand up for his friend Claeys, and that's how he chose to do it.

Why change coaches if you're not going to change the culture? Claeys was a nice guy, but not head coaching material. Never will be.

People change, stuff happens. What matters right now is the current group of Gophers love playing for Fleck. We'll see how it translates on the field this season.

Disagree that he wanted to take a shot at the program for Claeys.

He wanted to say some things about Fleck, based on Fleck saying that the culture of the program needed to change, when he was hired. That’s entirely what the point/basis of the rant was.

As I explained in an earlier post (might’ve been on the other thread), I’m betting that Fleck was told to make a big deal about changing the culture. And that was due to the scandal. It was a PR move.

Kill took some personal shots at Fleck, saying he changed as a person in that his ego got way larger and took over. That was the main thrust of his rant.

I just don't get how anyone thinks that Jerry wasn't out of line. He doesn't know the full story of what happened and neither do I. So to comment and imply he essentially dropped his first wife after their kid died, well that is just insane considering he doesn't know the circumstances. Especially looks worse considering he just pulled it out of nowhere.

I know someone who works at SIU and they have said he definitely has a short fuse and some of the tirades are unnecessary. With that being said he is old school and I think we might have known it to a lesser degree.

What makes it even more weird to me is that Kill first says PJ is mad at him, then when asked why he goes on and on about reasons he is mad at Fleck.

What makes it even more weird to me is that Kill first says PJ is mad at him, then when asked why he goes on and on about reasons he is mad at Fleck.

Like I said, not the most logical or eloquent speaker. I’m guessing in his (Kill’s) head it made sense, because he was explaining what led up to their last phone conversation, which is why Fleck doesn’t like him.

There was that rumored dust up when they supposedly ran into each other while crooting. Could be as much PJ walking away "what was that guy's problem" and Jerry is just mad.... about how his career played out but thinks PJ is spending his days thinking about that one run in with Jerry.

Lot of folks here are incessantly pushing the narrative that Kill went over the line.

What is the line?? And why?

Lot of folks here are incessantly pushing the narrative that Kill went over the line.

I think it's the fact that this was brought up publicly that rubs people the wrong way. Certainly bringing up the ex-wife is going too far in my opinion.

My main reaction to all of this is disappointment. I've always been a big supporter of Kill and wished he could have continued to coach at MN. This doesn't make him look good at all.

Do you feel like there was nothing wrong with what Kill did? Because he seems to be getting pretty universally panned for it, not just in here, but in the media reports about the story as well.

I could get this a little more if it happened right after Fleck got hired but we are now a few years in so it seems really out of place and petty. The reality is that Kill clearly harbors a lot of negative feelings towards Fleck. I have no clue how Fleck feels about Kill because he has not taken to the National airwaves to blast him but if I had to guess I would bet that at this point Fleck really could care less about Kill or what Kill thinks about him.

In terms of the world of college football coaching Jerry Kill is a has been and based on how hard he has tried to get back into coaching, even with all his health issues, I bet that drives him nuts.

Am I missing something or wasn't Tracy Claeys the head coach for 1.5 years after Jerry Kill? Wouldn't any perceived slights that PJ made in reference to culture be geared towards Claeys? Or does Kill simply view Claeys as an extension of himself and not a HC that formed his own identity.

Am I missing something or wasn't Tracy Claeys the head coach for 1.5 years after Jerry Kill? Wouldn't any perceived slights that PJ made in reference to culture be geared towards Claeys? Or does Kill simply view Claeys as an extension of himself and not a HC that formed his own identity.

The logical answer is something in between. There were large number of people who were with both "regimes". That's why most of us on here often refer to that time as Kill/Claeys or something like that.

It's just an opinion. You can agree or disagree.

The line - - it depends on the situation.

IMO, Kill went out of his way to trash PJ. He could have just not brought it up. If it did come up, he could have taken the high road.

It's kind of a "totality of circumstances" sort of thing.

IMO (you are free to disagree), Kill crossed a line bringing up Fleck's ex-wife. I don't know if Kill crossed a line complaining about PJ, but I thought it came off as petty and weird. PJ is now the head coach of a university that paid Kill a lot of money. PJ is the head coach of a lot of players that Kill personally recruited. To me, it crosses a line to go out of your way to trash someone in those circumstances.

Obviously you're not going to get a clear-cut answer, this is, by definition, a threshold question.

Well of his legacy no doubt.

I suspect he was even a bit disappointed when TC fired Limegrover, he said TC had to make his own decisions... but I kinda suspect really Jerry is upset that he even quit.

Oh Jerry, everyone had been rooting for you. Now I'm not so sure. You've got a huge bridge to rebuild.

This. I want to like Jerry, but he keeps acting like a bitter jackhole. Important note to Jerry: you left us, we didn't leave you. Quit acting like a jackhole.

Top Bottom