Jerry Kill Slams PJ

I had left this alone and tried to move on but.....

Jerry Kill is a hypocritical assh*le of biblical proportions.

The self serving sh**t he did to players when he came in. The leaking seizures to certain media member (not plural) to deflect, trashing players publicly and then telling them he was playing the media and didn’t mean it privately.

Man, I could on and get far more specific but what’s the point. PJ isn’t my cup of tea either but it’s just about style, dude can coach. Kill is just a jealous media whore that needs to go away.

For what it's worth, I know a former defensive starter pretty well (was recruited by Brewster and played 1 year for Brewster, then 3 for Kill). He says nothing but great things about Kill/Claeys (and Brewster for that matter). I'll bet he knows Kim well.

So it's just interesting that different players can have such different perspectives of their coaches.

Coyle definitely took shots at Kill/Claeys, so maybe some of Kill's anger is misplaced. I think PJ was urged by Coyle to talk a lot about changing culture at the initial press conference and I think his message of his own culture got mixed in with Coyle's shots at the Kill culture. Thus the confusion.

I think Fleck probably talked about his culture from the start of the interview process and Coyle decided to borrow it in his press conference to intro PJ.
And that's when Kill's feathers got ruffled.

It's dumb that Jerry is this pissed about a "change in culture".
It's corporate speak anytime you have new management come in.

For what it's worth, I know a former defensive starter pretty well (was recruited by Brewster and played 1 year for Brewster, then 3 for Kill). He says nothing but great things about Kill/Claeys (and Brewster for that matter). I'll bet he knows Kim well.

So it's just interesting that different players can have such different perspectives of their coaches.

The fact that it involves younger folks, and physically demanding work.... that just has to raise tensions a bit and change perspectives based on outcomes.

I don't know either PJ or Kill personally....but there are going to be people who don't like other people for one reason or another. I know parents of a former Kill player who could not stand him. I'm sure there are parents who haven't liked every coach....but it doesn't mean they are a bad guy.

I think Fleck probably talked about his culture from the start of the interview process and Coyle decided to borrow it in his press conference to intro PJ.
And that's when Kill's feathers got ruffled.

It's dumb that Jerry is this pissed about a "change in culture".
It's corporate speak anytime you have new management come in.

I think a lot of this could have been avoided by a more adept press conference by Mr. Coyle. Should have just said he wanted to hire his own guy and thought PJ could take us to the promised land and left it at that. It's not PJ's fault Coyle handled it so poorly. I think PJ has handled things just fine.

This has been brewing for a while, both on GH and by what hasn't been said. It's been the elephant in the room and Jerry finally called it out. Jerry has always like to speak his mind, so it's not surprising to me that it finally came out. He wasn't going to Southern Illinois quietly...

It's also pretty clear that Jerry saw Tracy as an extension of himself and what he built, so the endless chatter about Claeys carving his own niche, 1st year coach, etc doesn't seem to mean much to him.

Another excellent post.

I’d add that I will always remember Jerry Kill for publicly saying that he wanted to get his assistants taken care of financially before I worried about his next contract. Not just once, but multiple times.

Staff continuity isn’t by itself indicative of a great culture; however, you can’t take one isolated incident over a year after he leaves and say there was a problem with the culture.

Fleck probably hammered the culture point after getting hired to run off more upperclassmen who would take offense to it and also to get “his guys” in there sooner. That doesn’t mean Kill doesn’t have the right to be upset.

It’s like selling your house and the buyer tells all your neighbors how poor your house was maintained, decorated, and laid out everything was when they got there. Even though you built that house with your bare hands with the same buddies you have been building houses with for many years. And you know what works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry Kill is criticizing Fleck for changing? If you aren't changing, you are remaining the same. I criticize people for not changing. Tough to get better if you are the same. Not sure I get his point. Is he implying something else? He doesn't like Fleck running up and down the field? Seems petty and strange and embarrassing to mentioning that in your criticism of someone.

I wish Claeys would have been able to run up the sideline to call a timeout in that Michigan debacle.

I think this all started when PJ fired Kill's main man Claeys and then demanded "culture change" from his replacement.

Wait, what?

My mistake, that wasn't PJ that did that....

I think a lot of this could have been avoided by a more adept press conference by Mr. Coyle. Should have just said he wanted to hire his own guy and thought PJ could take us to the promised land and left it at that. It's not PJ's fault Coyle handled it so poorly. I think PJ has handled things just fine.

I think we've established and most will agree that Coyle does not win at press conferences.

Although his hiring of coaches so far can not be criticized greatly.

I think we've established and most will agree that Coyle does not win at press conferences.

Although his hiring of coaches so far can not be criticized greatly.

Agreed, although Fleck, Motzko, and Whalen were all no brainers that any competent AD would have hired. The mens basketball situation will interesting to watch to see how that is handled by Coyle.

I think this all started when PJ fired Kill's main man Claeys and then demanded "culture change" from his replacement.

Wait, what?

My mistake, that wasn't PJ that did that....

Nah, this started well before that. Fleck was one of two coaches retained from Novak's staff when Kill came in at NIU. I'm assuming when Fleck bolted for Rutgers, that didn't sit well with Kill.

I expect PJ to take the high road on this btw.

Coyle definitely took shots at Kill/Claeys, so maybe some of Kill's anger is misplaced. I think PJ was urged by Coyle to talk a lot about changing culture at the initial press conference and I think his message of his own culture got mixed in with Coyle's shots at the Kill culture. Thus the confusion.

Good point. Below is what Fleck had to say at his press conference about Kill. Pretty nice i would say.
Also if Coyle was already hired when Kill had to retire, Claeys wouldn’t have been the coach for 2016
fc15e674d08d3d530d9fa5a58924f4b3.jpg

Agreed, although Fleck, Motzko, and Whalen were all no brainers that any competent AD would have hired. The mens basketball situation will interesting to watch to see how that is handled by Coyle.

You've said this repeatedly, but how many of the 'no brainer' hires have actually been made here over the last several decades? Coyle deserves plenty of credit for getting these hires done.

It’s like selling your house and the buyer tells all your neighbors how poor your house was maintained, decorated, and laid out everything was when they got there. Even though you built that house with your bare hands with the same buddies you have been building houses with for many years. And you know what works!

A better analogy would be if you bought a house, painted the house a different color, maybe replaced a tree you didn’t like and updated some of the landscape. Then the former owner drives by someday and gets mad. The new owners should be able to have things how they want it, doesn’t mean the previous owners didn’t know what they were doing.

Fleck never said the culture was bad like Kill is saying. Fleck was going to change things and do it his way like just about every other new coach does. People will continue to believe for some reason that Fleck only cares about himself but it appears the players love playing for him and that’s all that should matter.

I wish Jerry would just keep these thoughts to himself. Jerry doesn't like PJ and that's unfortunate, but also not particularly relevant and Jerry should just leave it alone. He seems to love the U and the Gophers and he should stick to that instead of focusing on his Fleck issues.

But do we really have to do this ugly Gopher fan base ritual where we now say the most horrible thing about Kill as a way proving our love and loyalty to Fleck?

Kill deserves plenty credit for laying the foundation of a better football program and campaigning for the athletes village. But Fleck is twice the recruiter Kill was, and I think Kill realizes Fleck is headed in the direction to accomplish much more than he and his staff did. It already started by winning the Axe.

Obviously there is history and bad blood between these two, and I think Kill realizes Fleck is going to have success due to some of Kill's hard work. But Jerry looks petty, immature, and much worse than Fleck after this interview.

You've said this repeatedly, but how many of the 'no brainer' hires have actually been made here over the last several decades? Coyle deserves plenty of credit for getting these hires done.

I don't know what he means by no-brainer.

Like, they had local ties and obviously wanted the job (Whalen). Or, they had some local ties and were a hot candidate where this would be a premier job, and arguably one of the best at that level. (Motzko) Or does he mean that candidate was far and away the clear cut choice by how they were climbing the coaching ladder so an obvious choice for your #1 hire.

If it's the last, we've often been in the spot to try to hire the top choice and failed in executing that. So to me that's not a no-brainer. A no brainer to contact, but very hard to land.

What is funny is that if Jerry really took it out on the person who fired TC ... Coyle, the response here might be a lot different.

People will continue to believe for some reason that Fleck only cares about himself but it appears the players love playing for him and that’s all that should matter.

Then why does he demand that his own, patented/trademarked brand ("Row the Boat") be incorporated into the team's uniforms?

That's the biggest, ugliest sticking point to the whole "it's not about me, it's about these young men" narrative.

Coyle and PJ did handle the transition press conferences poorly IMO and I totally understand where Jerry is coming from in terms of defending his players and coaches. Sure, Jerry and PJ could both be better adults and discussed things privately but when massive egos collide from opposite ends of the spectrum sometimes things happen.

I seem to recall Jerry Kill blaming the players after a loss or more (I could be wrong, but that's what I remember). Something like, "players need to execute" (aka it's not my fault). It sounds like he defends his players when it is convenient to defend them. That stated, I only know what I see publicly.

Don't forget the Golden Loafer jersey's that Kill made players wear....

What is funny is that if Jerry really took it out on the person who fired TC ... Coyle, the response here might be a lot different.

That's why there seems to be more behind this. If it was Claeys being run out of here, it would be directed at Coyle, the Regents, the media etc. It seems to be personal. Maybe all the more reason to keep it out of the public, but seems to be a personal beef.

Disappointing that this all came about.

What Kill did, dragging the program back and building a new foundation with some solid discipline was awesome. And it paid off on the field with some nice victories, winning the Jug at the Big House, curb stomping Iowa and beating a ranked Nebraska team in the Sea of Red. All good stuff. I think everyone here was upset he had to retire. We'll never know what success he would have had if the health wasn't an issue, but it was unfortunate all around since he had at least made progress.

So it's really a shame he's had to come back with this. I understand being let down because of everything that happened in 2016 with Claeys, but it seems like it would be time to move on at this point. Plus, bringing up the stuff with Fleck's wife seems quite uncalled for. I don't think it would even be that much of an issue if this had just been some light criticism of Fleck's on the field decisions or his promotional style.

My view points are mine. Kim might feel the same as the player you’re talking about. You’d have to ask him. I would also say that the player your mentioning might have been of more use to Kill (treated better).....with 3 years of eligibility (that’s the key) and all.

I have nothing but good things to say about Claeys and Sawtel. Kill? He’s a worthless human being IMO.

My favorite Kill moment was him quitting mid-season to make a play for the AD job. Priceless.

Then why does he demand that his own, patented/trademarked brand ("Row the Boat") be incorporated into the team's uniforms?

That's the biggest, ugliest sticking point to the whole "it's not about me, it's about these young men" narrative.

Of course Fleck has an ego, what coach doesn’t? Doesn’t mean it’s just about him.

Jerry Kill says PJ changed,

ask PJ's ex-wife.

AJ Barker says bad things about Kill,

ask AJ's mom's friend.

AJ let Kill of the hook by “messing” up. AJ was 100% right to have beef with Kill....as did his moms friend!

Top Bottom