Jerry Kill Slams PJ

They use up their timeouts pretty quickly in a game. Not sure I'd use clock management as a compliment to PJ.

I don't really care anymore if he uses RTB. I just thought it odd that someone was using Jerrysota against Jerry Kill.

It was a rip on Claeys not having any in the Michigan game. I thought the way we used the clock in the Wisconsin game was exceptional. Are there times in games when we wasted time outs? Sure, but he seems to be aware of when the offense is running out of time to get a play off and sprints down to the official to avoid a penalty most of the time.

I’m 100% for everything it stands for, which mainly boils down to working hard and doing things the right way. Good way to live.

I understand and have sympathy for the trials that Fleck has been through, from which the mantra was created.

My point is simply about the principle of forcing it into the uniforms. Especially since it will leave with Fleck, if he leaves.

All the exact same culture, principles, way of doing business could have been implemented exactly the same, without it being all over the uniforms.

Yes, I’m very happy to die on this hill. My drum banging arms have already fallen off.

Doesn't every regime usually have new uniforms anyway? That's why I don't care that much. If he leaves, the new staff will get new uniforms just like PJ did, just like Kill did. Also, some painter will get very rich painting over the slogans around the facility lol

Doesn't every regime usually have new uniforms anyway? That's why I don't care that much. If he leaves, the new staff will get new uniforms just like PJ did, just like Kill did. Also, some painter will get very rich painting over the slogans around the facility lol

Exactly. Been substantial uniform changes every new coaching regime for decades.

https://www.gopherjerseys.com/uni-history.html

Yeah and even if it was only a thing under PJ.... most of the other teams do it too, even teams with iconic type uniforms.

Folks who are all about how it is all about PJ assign a lot of stuff to PJ, that's not really about PJ.

It's like POTUS and the economy or gas prices ...

I know I am late to the party , but my take is

Does PJ promote himself? Yes
Does he care for his player? of course he does

I think lots of people assume that a culture change is because there was something wrong with the previous culture. That is not always the case, a culture change is just that, a change in culture. Some is change is small and some can be large. The changes I like about PJ are the way he hands out schollys to walk ons. Kill may have done the same, but the culture is now to share it with world. Also PJ has a lot more visibility on community service by the players. Again, Kill may have done things similar, but now it is more public, which is a great thing. The one small one I enjoy the most, is the gopher players seeking out the refs to hand them the ball. they dont throw it at them , or drop it on the ground, they make conscience effort to find a ref and go hand him the ball. I dont think I have ever seen an entire team do this. That is also a culture change

Not sure why Kill felt this was a good time to go off on Pj, but he doenst look good for doing this. I lost a lot of respect for Kill. He was the right coach at the right time for this program, but I can see now, he was not the guy to bring it forward

I don't really care anymore if he uses RTB. I just thought it odd that someone was using Jerrysota against Jerry Kill.

The University marketed and sold shirts with Jerrysota and Jerry Kill's likeness on them. Literally replaced the name of state and University with the name of the coach. Did Jerry Kill have anything to do with this? You'd have to believe he at least signed off on it on some level.

That's why when Kill mentions that Fleck is all about himself, I find the irony. Pot meet kettle...

They use up their timeouts pretty quickly in a game. Not sure I'd use clock management as a compliment to PJ.

Using timeouts in the first and third quarter means bad game management?

Better fire the coach who used early timeouts in the Super Bowl

Wait a minute, he is the greatest coach of all time

I think Kill needs to understand something: regardless of the actual state of the program, Fleck HAD to make a big deal about his culture, doing things the right way, "cleaning" things up, etc.

Because of the scandal. Duh. That's what Fleck was talking about. I believe that was preordained messaging, from the top down.

NOT that he had to clean up the stuff that Kill and Claeys had in place. I'm sure a lot of that was good.

I agree with this take. I think that he was told to mention that because Coyle was fighting for his own job with the admin. Let's be honest, all these top guys as another poster pointed out for the most part are pricks. It is what it is. You get to a high level like this and it's very tough to be all things to everyone. No matter what you do you will have some that like you and some that don't. I think if you stay true to your values that is what is going to set you apart. Coyle really handled things poorly with Claeys. Kill is pissed about that. Kill also is jealous that PJ got the job and "didn't pay his dues" in my opinion. That's his take and he's entitled to that. He also is mad that PJ insinuated that he had to "clean up the mess" that was the U of M football program. I don't think that PJ said that, he was careful in his praise of Kill that was noted already by a poster in the presser. He also noted how proud he was to work with Kill. I think PJ handled it about as good as could be handled. But, you could also look at the words "culture change" and imply that it was a dirty mess...and I think that is how Coyle portrayed it and I think that is how Kill and his former coaches interpreted it (numerous coaches have made comments about that). It's unfortunate because Kill was very liked in this community. If PJ is smart I think that he should just really stay quiet on this and it will probably be fine for him.

An interesting piece at the Daily Gopher. A bit of it:

Fleck and his players can visit patients at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital. He can invite fall practice attendees to bring donations for the Diaper Bank of Minnesota and host his annual Turkey Drive in November. He can reward walk-ons with scholarships, staging elaborate presentations that the players will never forget. Fleck can do all of that and yet his staunchest critics will remain unmoved, certain in their unyielding belief that his culture of “serving and giving” is nothing more than a song and dance routine.

Consider this: Does it really matter?

I can promise you the argument of whether or not Fleck is “authentic” is moot to the hospital patients who light up at the sight of Gopher football players gathered by their bedside. The local families in need who benefit from the donated diapers and the free turkeys aren’t up at night wondering whether they’ve accepted goods from a fraud.

Fleck and his players are making positive contributions within the community, which both benefits the public perception of the program and also, you know, the people on the receiving end of those positive contributions. If it all is an act to serve the program, Fleck must be a method actor. But again, if his actions match his words, what’s the problem here?

As for whether Fleck is “about himself,” I’ll leave that up to the players to decide. If he didn’t care about his players, he’d have a tough time recruiting. And even if he somehow managed to coerce them into signing with Minnesota under the guise of a caring head coach, I don’t think it’d take them long to figure out they’d been duped and buy the first plane ticket out of Minneapolis.

And at the end of the day, isn’t Fleck here to run a clean program and win football games? He has accomplished the former for the most part and seems to be on the right track in terms of the latter. But if you can’t accept either of those outcomes because you have personal doubts about his personal motives, then you’re never going to be satisfied.

Long story short: Go ahead and make fun of “Row the Boat.” Feel free to roll your eyes when Fleck or his players get involved in the community.

But know that it says more about you than it does P.J. Fleck.

Kill is a wanker for airing dirty laundry and perceived greivences in that interview. All he does is come across as bitter, and spiteful. This wreaks of him being pissed that PJ didn't kiss the Kill ring or the crack of Kills ass enough. Kill wanted more smooching of his rear end from the U or more groveling from PJ. PJ isn't running
On the sideline to draw attention to himself, he is doing it to rally the players to be together in the same direction. Kill could have turned the cheek, instead he decided to look to the past and heap hate on someone else and act like he was all about the players. sing Tapatalk

Last edited:

Holy overreactions. WhiteSpeedReceiver...ought to look in the mirror. Yeah, I’m going to respond in a very loud, angry voice to offhand (and yes, inappropriate to air in public) comments about a situation or situations I don’t really understand. None of us know either one of these guys and IMO both have enormous egos. There are plenty of (old) rumors swirling around if you pay attention to WMU fans. Perhaps Jerry knows a different PJ. The less said publicly, the better.

Jerry should have held his fire about all this but the reactive venom is inappropriate as well. I think this is the last we’ll hear about this feud. Jerry finally got his shot in. Fair to say this is a learning experience of what not to do.

The thing is WMU was nationally known for the "row the boat" phrase. It all started there and was someone else's thing. PJ now owns the rights and if he leaves for somewhere else (not saying he will or won't), his next school will be nationally known for "row the boat."

With Brick by Brick, it wasn't previously associated with a different school, it all started here.

Also Row the Boat feels more contradictory to our tradition of being the golden gophers and having the Ski-U-Mah phrase. Putting oars on the helmets gives me the feel that we are the boat rowers and not the golden gophers. Having brick by brick on the helmets and having the numbers look like bricks never really felt contradictory but more complimentary.

This is inaccurate as the University of Tennessee owns the rights to "Brick by Brick". The U had to quick using it because of that. You didn't notice how it was slowly phased out even before Kill left for medical reasons? But, you know, don't let the #Narrative and all get in the way.

The ego of Jerry Kill almost killed him. How many times was Jerry doing a crappie flop on the TCF turf in front of players and fans? Kill should have walked away after the first episode for his own health and for the players. I can’t imagine what the players felt watching their coach have these attacks. Calling Fleck out for ego and his first wife is petty BS.

Fleck and his players can visit patients at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital. He can invite fall practice attendees to bring donations for the Diaper Bank of Minnesota and host his annual Turkey Drive in November. He can reward walk-ons with scholarships, staging elaborate presentations that the players will never forget. Fleck can do all of that and yet his staunchest critics will remain unmoved, certain in their unyielding belief that his culture of “serving and giving” is nothing more than a song and dance routine.

I can promise you the argument of whether or not Fleck is “authentic” is moot to the hospital patients who light up at the sight of Gopher football players gathered by their bedside. The local families in need who benefit from the donated diapers and the free turkeys aren’t up at night wondering whether they’ve accepted goods from a fraud.

Fleck and his players are making positive contributions within the community, which both benefits the public perception of the program and also, you know, the people on the receiving end of those positive contributions. If it all is an act to serve the program, Fleck must be a method actor. But again, if his actions match his words, what’s the problem here?

As for whether Fleck is “about himself,” I’ll leave that up to the players to decide. If he didn’t care about his players, he’d have a tough time recruiting. And even if he somehow managed to coerce them into signing with Minnesota under the guise of a caring head coach, I don’t think it’d take them long to figure out they’d been duped and buy the first plane ticket out of Minneapolis.

And at the end of the day, isn’t Fleck here to run a clean program and win football games? He has accomplished the former for the most part and seems to be on the right track in terms of the latter. But if you can’t accept either of those outcomes because you have personal doubts about his personal motives, then you’re never going to be satisfied.

Long story short: Go ahead and make fun of “Row the Boat.” Feel free to roll your eyes when Fleck or his players get involved in the community.

TDG gets it. Great content over there always.

This is inaccurate as the University of Tennessee owns the rights to "Brick by Brick". The U had to quick using it because of that. You didn't notice how it was slowly phased out even before Kill left for medical reasons? But, you know, don't let the #Narrative and all get in the way.

Yes, I know Tennessee also had the brick by brick phase but that's not a phrase that is nationally associated with Tennessee and that is a completely different staff that uses that phrase. When you think of Tennessee football, you don't think of "brick by brick." Thats more for the players and coaches inside the program. When people thought of WMU and now Minnesota, everybody thinks about the "row the boat" phrase. If everybody nationally associated "brick by brick" with Tennessee football and then we hired their coach and he brought the phrase here with him, I wouldn't like it either. Or if Kill had used the phrase at NIU and was nationally known for it then I wouldn't like it. But thats not the case, two completely separate staffs used the same phrase and neither program was nationally associated with the phrase the same way WMU and the U is associated with the "row the boat" phrase.

Yeah we hear a lot of talk about how PJ is from folks who really don't even know him / work with him.

Sure about that?

http://www.startribune.com/trademark-bullies-many-big-colleges-fiercely-protect-brands/491858961/

When the University of Tennessee tried getting trademarks for then-football coach Butch Jones' slogan "Brick By Brick" in 2014, the University of Minnesota sent its lawyers to stop it. In a letter, they noted that Minnesota's coach, Jerry Kill, had been using the slogan for years, and ordered Tennessee to stop using it immediately. More than a year later, the schools signed an agreement allowing both to use the phrase on merchandise and advertisements, but only if it's accompanied by their respective school colors.

Holy overreactions. WhiteSpeedReceiver...ought to look in the mirror. Yeah, I’m going to respond in a very loud, angry voice to offhand (and yes, inappropriate to air in public) comments about a situation or situations I don’t really understand. None of us know either one of these guys and IMO both have enormous egos. There are plenty of (old) rumors swirling around if you pay attention to WMU fans. Perhaps Jerry knows a different PJ. The less said publicly, the better.

Jerry should have held his fire about all this but the reactive venom is inappropriate as well. I think this is the last we’ll hear about this feud. Jerry finally got his shot in. Fair to say this is a learning experience of what not to do.

He got his shot in two years ago when he made similar comments didn't he? I attended one of his speeches and all he did was talk about how great he was. His book is very similar. The guy has a massive ego and it's no wonder he got his feelings hurt when someone dared to challenge his "culture".

Sure about that?

http://www.startribune.com/trademark-bullies-many-big-colleges-fiercely-protect-brands/491858961/

When the University of Tennessee tried getting trademarks for then-football coach Butch Jones' slogan "Brick By Brick" in 2014, the University of Minnesota sent its lawyers to stop it. In a letter, they noted that Minnesota's coach, Jerry Kill, had been using the slogan for years, and ordered Tennessee to stop using it immediately. More than a year later, the schools signed an agreement allowing both to use the phrase on merchandise and advertisements, but only if it's accompanied by their respective school colors.

It was so original and important to the U of M, they agreed to share it, then give it up. Great history behind it. :rolleyes:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2016/12/13/tennessee-coach-butch-jones-explains-brick-brick-origin/95384568/

It was so original and important to the U of M, they agreed to share it, then give it up. Great history behind it. :rolleyes:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2016/12/13/tennessee-coach-butch-jones-explains-brick-brick-origin/95384568/

More like nobody wants to go head to head with another university in a legal fight.

Also a lot of trademarks are on shaky ground to begin with. It's plausible to come out of a legal fight without your trademark.

Sure about that?

Not sure how this is relevant. Old slogan, new slogan, old way, new way...who cares? This is truly unfortunate for all parties involved. I think some minds need to be opened...probably not healthy for Kill or anyone to be carrying around so much bitterness. Fleck would be wise to keep it 100% out of the public realm -- even indirect or implied responses should not occur. Clearly Kill is upset, right or wrong. No need to inflame more. I hope they can all just move on and wish each other well despite some obvious differences...life is too short to be so bitter.

I wish Claeys would have been able to run up the sideline to call a timeout in that Michigan debacle.

Claey's time mismanagement with 19 seconds left and on the Michigan one was inexcusable and utterly incompetent.

I thought Jerry Kill was an okay coach, not great, but okay. I think Fleck has great upside potential, and his moves to adjust the ship midseason showed determination and good character last year as a leader. I just don't like Jerry Kill stepping on the program by throwing doubt on the current coach. Respect does not involve public commentary ridiculing a man's personal life, although I have done the same to members of this board, out of fairness. Shame on me.

Claey's time mismanagement with 19 seconds left and on the Michigan one was inexcusable and utterly incompetent.

At least he didn’t call a timeout in the 3rd quarter so he had one left to not call

I know I am late to the party , but my take is

Does PJ promote himself? Yes
Does he care for his player? of course he does

I think lots of people assume that a culture change is because there was something wrong with the previous culture. That is not always the case, a culture change is just that, a change in culture. Some is change is small and some can be large. The changes I like about PJ are the way he hands out schollys to walk ons. Kill may have done the same, but the culture is now to share it with world. Also PJ has a lot more visibility on community service by the players. Again, Kill may have done things similar, but now it is more public, which is a great thing. The one small one I enjoy the most, is the gopher players seeking out the refs to hand them the ball. they dont throw it at them , or drop it on the ground, they make conscience effort to find a ref and go hand him the ball. I dont think I have ever seen an entire team do this. That is also a culture change

Not sure why Kill felt this was a good time to go off on Pj, but he doenst look good for doing this. I lost a lot of respect for Kill. He was the right coach at the right time for this program, but I can see now, he was not the guy to bring it forward

As I think about Kills comments, I see a conspiracy brewing. Kill knows that recruits will hear/read about the controversy and some will get turned off. Missed recruits hurts the Gophers and PJ success. Sad, really sad.

As I think about Kills comments, I see a conspiracy brewing. Kill knows that recruits will hear/read about the controversy and some will get turned off. Missed recruits hurts the Gophers and PJ success. Sad, really sad.

I think you're reading way too much into it. I don't think our recruits are gonna give a lick about what Kill says.

I think you're reading way too much into it. I don't think our recruits are gonna give a lick about what Kill says.

If the Gophers are competing with SIU for recruits, the problems are going to be way bigger than a bitter former coach.

Top Bottom