Jerry Kill Slams PJ

It's always been obvious to me. Fleck cares only about the Fleck brand. He's a joke. Kill's comments were spot on.

Eleven Warriors: FORMER MINNESOTA COACH JERRY KILL PUBLICLY BLASTS CURRENT GOPHERS COACH P.J. FLECK

Not every coaching transition is all sunshine and rainbows, and that certainly isn't the case over in Minnesota, where former coach Jerry Kill is publicly blasting current coach P.J. Fleck.

Kill joined Matt Schick and A.J. Hawk's radio show this week and when he was asked about Fleck, he did not hold back, blasting his ego and selfishness and claiming he would never speak to him again.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/coll...ublicly-blasts-current-gophers-coach-pj-fleck

Go Gophers!!

I say we schedule So. Illinois and beat the living bleep out of them. And then Jerry Kill, whom I liked, can have something more to whine about.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per The Spun: Jerry Kill Is Getting Crushed For What He Said About P.J. Fleck

A former college football coach is getting crushed for what he said about his old program’s new head coach. The former coach is not a fan of the new coach.

Former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill, who recently landed an athletic director job at another school, does not believe the Golden Gophers’ new head coach, P.J. Fleck, is a genuine guy.

Fleck has a boisterous personality and his “Row the Boat” mantra made him famous before he arrived with the Golden Gophers.

Kill crushed Fleck in an interview on SiriusXM.

https://thespun.com/college-football/jerry-kill-is-getting-crushed-for-what-he-said-about-p-j-fleck

Go Gophers!!

Chip chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Athlon: Former Minnesota Coach Jerry Kill Blasts P.J. Fleck

You can't please everybody.

P.J. Fleck is learning that lesson the hard way. The current Minnesota football head coach was put on blast by former Gophers coach Jerry Kill. During an interview on Sirius XM College Sports, Kill was asked about why he thinks Fleck doesn't like him and why the two can't get along and he didn't hold back.

"When he went into Minnesota and treated the people the way he treated my guys and telling them he had to go in and completely change the culture, and it was a bad culture and bad people ... you know he made it sound like we didn't know what we were doing," Kill said.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/former-minnesota-coach-jerry-kill-blasts-pj-fleck-gophers

Go Gophers!!

I didn't realise until reading this thread that Coach Fleck had lost a child... My wife and I lost our amazing 21 year old daughter just over four months ago and I can promise that everyday is hard in every possible way. It is hard to see a positive future or feel your life has purpose, hard to find any joy in the world and hard to be responsive to the emotions of those around us as we all deal with tragedy in different ways at different times (even though the sense of loss doesn't seem to diminish).

I'm not sure if all GopherHolers are aware of this but I just searched this article explaining where the row the boat mantra comes from apologies if it is just me that didn't know).

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...oach-p-j-fleck-tells-emotional-181358296.html

My experience is that it is inevitable that a person changes after losing a child. The fact that Coach Fleck has devoted himself to a mantra/culture that accentuates community, serving, giving and compassion I find inspiring. I don't find it surprising that it requires incredible self-belief, self-affirmation and unwavering devotion to sustain this either as it is so easy to retreat into nothingness, given the circumstances, if doubt creeps in.

I like and respect Coach Kill (but feel these comments show lack of understanding); I like Coach Claeys (and felt sorry that he became a scapegoat IMHO at the time of his departure) and I believe 100% that Coach Fleck is genuinely a great man and a great role model/football coach.

As a side note, there has only been two occasions since what happened that I have felt a surge of positive emotions - once when we captured the axe and again when we won the bowl game.

I can't really comment on your loss other than to offer my condolences. I have never been through such a tragedy that and hope never to. I hope you heal somehow.

I will say that I couldn't believe the elation I felt when they won the axe. I am not a grad nor Minnesotan but I was happy for days. It surprised me how much I enjoyed that win. I have watched the game 4 times since and my do a 5th tonight. They destroyed Wisconsin.

I've seen several people comment that the full interview makes Kill look even worse. Haven't heard it myself though.

I remember seeing Soupcan call Kill "writhering on the ground" or something disgusting like that. Kill should know better than to engage in that level of pettiness. You really want to rally the worst media group in the country FOR PJ? Was this 5d chess or something?

Chip chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Spot on from Chip. Kill needs to move the F on.

I am so glad people are starting to see through some of Kill's BS. He has just as much ego as any of these other guys, the difference between him and Fleck is that Fleck doesn't pretend not to have an ego the way Kill does.

I have not listened to the full interview but Kill makes himself look like a fool at the end. Asserting that the 2017 version of the Gophers was a 10 win team is just foolish. He clearly wanted to go after Fleck because the interview was over when the final bit started. Like Chip, I respect what Kill was able to do during his time here, but he needs to stop living in the past and move on.

per The Spun: Jerry Kill Is Getting Crushed For What He Said About P.J. Fleck

A former college football coach is getting crushed for what he said about his old program’s new head coach.

Good. Being unprofessional should have consequences. If you're prepared to have your criticisms splashed across the country's major websites, then you better be prepared to handle the blowback.

I still maintain that it's all jealousy. He's sitting in his Carbondale office, earning his $200,000/year, and brooding on Fleck earning $3.55 million/year. I think he would jealously snipe at whoever the Gopher coach was.

I've seen several people comment that the full interview makes Kill look even worse. Haven't heard it myself though.

Unfortunately, it does. The interview was over and Jerry started bringing up PJ out of nowhere and how “he doesn’t like me” - basically begging to be asked, “why”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to hear more about how it was phased out even before Kill stepped away.

+1. Call out someone for not letting facts get in the way of an #Agenda with misinformation to push your own #Agenda.... then disappear. LOL.

Unfortunately, it does. The interview was over and Jerry started bringing up PJ out of nowhere and how “he doesn’t like me” - basically begging to be asked, “why”.

You totally nailed this thread taking over from Maxwell's...

Kill’s wife should tell him to zip it

Last edited:

I didn't realise until reading this thread that Coach Fleck had lost a child... My wife and I lost our amazing 21 year old daughter just over four months ago and I can promise that everyday is hard in every possible way.

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

I didn't realise until reading this thread that Coach Fleck had lost a child... My wife and I lost our amazing 21 year old daughter just over four months ago and I can promise that everyday is hard in every possible way.

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

Row the Boat has a strong connection to the loss of his child.

The thing is WMU was nationally known for the "row the boat" phrase. It all started there and was someone else's thing. PJ now owns the rights and if he leaves for somewhere else (not saying he will or won't), his next school will be nationally known for "row the boat."

With Brick by Brick, it wasn't previously associated with a different school, it all started here.

Also Row the Boat feels more contradictory to our tradition of being the golden gophers and having the Ski-U-Mah phrase. Putting oars on the helmets gives me the feel that we are the boat rowers and not the golden gophers. Having brick by brick on the helmets and having the numbers look like bricks never really felt contradictory but more complimentary.

Who else?

Hey Jer, PJ beat the snot out of Purdue and Bucky. Then he kicked the crap out of Ga Tech. Eat that.

This thread is so, so much wose than the Janes thread. 26 pages of yawn. No drugs, no allegations, no craziness. Gopherhole back to tedium.

Top Bottom