Jerry Kill Slams PJ

This is amusing how we continually try to create a substantial difference between:

"Row the Boat"
"Jerrysota"
and
"Brick by Brick"

One of those is REALLY REALLY BAD.
The other two are fine.

Oh, the outrage of the one that is bad!!!

Obviously the one that is bad is really self-centered!

I'm just glad we didn't try to buy the rights to Northern Jerry-nois from the Huskies

Gold rush, how do you get a reply post to show the post you are replying to in the light blue box, as you responded to my post. When I hit "reply with quote", I get nothing that looks like your reply post. What am I missing other than a few marbles?

Gold rush, how do you get a reply post to show the post you are replying to in the light blue box, as you responded to my post. When I hit "reply with quote", I get nothing that looks like your reply post. What am I missing other than a few marbles?

click "reply with quote" before you start typing

IMO, as soon as Kill didn't get the Admin job he was pushing for with the U, he started acting like a petulant child. PJ, along with support from Heather, represent and promote the U and the football program very well. PJ and Heather know what they're about and don't have to prove anything to the likes of JK.

Kill comes off looking like a tool and I'm glad he's no longer associated with the U. I have zero respect left for Kill...he can go pound sand.

For the Win: The P.J. Fleck vs. Jerry Kill beef, explained

Welcome to FTW Explains, a guide to catching up on and better understanding stuff going on in the world.

You may have seen some talk around social media and sports sites like ours about names like P.J. Fleck and former Golden Gophers head coach Jerry Kill, and how those two football coaches are having a bit of a conflict that blew up this week thanks to a radio interview.

If so, and if you’ve wondered what was up with that, don’t be alarmed. As always, we’re here to help with a breakdown of the what’s going on.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/minnesota-pj-fleck-jerry-kill

Go Gophers!!

You DO understand the *critical* difference between "Row the boat" and slogans like "Brick by brick", "Jerrysota", etc??

The latter came from the U, and the AD marketing dept. They're intellectual property of the U.

Row the Boat is Fleck's personal, trademarked brand, that he takes with him wherever he goes, and demands that it be put into the uniforms, and it becomes ubiquitous on other merch as well. When and if he leaves, the U of Minn can't keep using that. It's not ours. It belongs to him.

You get it, yes?

You do understand that Fleck does not receive a single cent from any Row The Boat sales if its used in any way for U of M. The money goes to the Athletic Department and the U of MN Children's hospital.

Last edited:

You do understand that all Fleck does not receive a single cent from any Row The Boat sales if its used in any way for U of M. The money goes to the Athletic Department and the U of MN Children's hospital.

How dare you try and discredit his fabricated narrative (heavy on the sarcasm there)

City Pages: Jerry Kill rips P.J. Fleck as an all-about-me Gophers football coach

If you’ve always been a little suspicious about University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck, Jerry Kill shares your doubts.

Perhaps it’s Fleck’s relentless sloganeering, which makes him sound like he’s running a get-rich-quick real estate seminar at a hotel near the airport. Perhaps it’s his preening interviews, which tend to have a none-too-subtle undercurrent of self-importance.

If you weren’t the charitable type, you might get the feeling that P.J. Fleck is deeply in love with... P.J. Fleck. And there’s not much room left for love of another.

Were you to harbor such thoughts, you’d be in league with former Gophers coach Jerry Kill. He served at the U from 2011-2015, revitalizing the program with an old school pound-the-run, play defense formula. If Fleck is the showman, Kill was his polar opposite, a humble guy-next-door whose intellect carried far more firepower than might initially appear.

Yet he was forced to retire due to epilepsy. The U hired assistant Tracy Claeys, only to cast him aside after one year and row the boat with Fleck. Though Claeys led the team to a 9-4 season, Fleck was soon talking as if he’d inherited a ’94 Buick with no transmission and holes in the floorboards.

The obvious implication was that Kill, Claeys, and the players he assumed were not up to the more discerning standards of P.J. Fleck.

Two years later, it appears that Kill’s still seething. In an interview with SiriusXM yesterday, he unloaded on Fleck:

http://www.citypages.com/news/jerry...all-about-me-gophers-football-coach/506100091

Go Gophers!!

You do understand that Fleck does not receive a single cent from any Row The Boat sales if its used in any way for U of M. The money goes to the Athletic Department and the U of MN Children's hospital.

I hope that is god’s honest truth!!!!! That is absolutely how it SHOULD be.

If Fleck was banking any money, in any wa (ie, licensing royalties), that would be awful. Hopefully I don’t have to explicitly say why ...

This is amusing how we continually try to create a substantial difference between:

"Row the Boat"
"Jerrysota"
and
"Brick by Brick"

One of those is REALLY REALLY BAD.
The other two are fine.

Oh, the outrage of the one that is bad!!!

Obviously the one that is bad is really self-centered!

The thing is WMU was nationally known for the "row the boat" phrase. It all started there and was someone else's thing. PJ now owns the rights and if he leaves for somewhere else (not saying he will or won't), his next school will be nationally known for "row the boat."

With Brick by Brick, it wasn't previously associated with a different school, it all started here.

Also Row the Boat feels more contradictory to our tradition of being the golden gophers and having the Ski-U-Mah phrase. Putting oars on the helmets gives me the feel that we are the boat rowers and not the golden gophers. Having brick by brick on the helmets and having the numbers look like bricks never really felt contradictory but more complimentary.

I hope that is god’s honest truth!!!!! That is absolutely how it SHOULD be.

If Fleck was banking any money, in any wa (ie, licensing royalties), that would be awful. Hopefully I don’t have to explicitly say why ...

Licensor hereby grants to Licensee an exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, with right to sublicense, the Licensed Marks for the manufacture, import, sale, and distribution of teh Exclusive Licensed Goods and for the promotion of the Licensed Services during the Term, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

Here is the full contract. https://www.publicrecordmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/MGDPAUM20182_pd_001-013.pdf

Sorry dude, I don't have the time nor crayons to further explain how a snarky comment about not making things about himself could be connected to Jerry's comments

I mean it would be a phrase he says .... it doesn't have to be about the thing you're thinking about.

I didn't realise until reading this thread that Coach Fleck had lost a child... My wife and I lost our amazing 21 year old daughter just over four months ago and I can promise that everyday is hard in every possible way. It is hard to see a positive future or feel your life has purpose, hard to find any joy in the world and hard to be responsive to the emotions of those around us as we all deal with tragedy in different ways at different times (even though the sense of loss doesn't seem to diminish).

I'm not sure if all GopherHolers are aware of this but I just searched this article explaining where the row the boat mantra comes from apologies if it is just me that didn't know).

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...oach-p-j-fleck-tells-emotional-181358296.html

My experience is that it is inevitable that a person changes after losing a child. The fact that Coach Fleck has devoted himself to a mantra/culture that accentuates community, serving, giving and compassion I find inspiring. I don't find it surprising that it requires incredible self-belief, self-affirmation and unwavering devotion to sustain this either as it is so easy to retreat into nothingness, given the circumstances, if doubt creeps in.

I like and respect Coach Kill (but feel these comments show lack of understanding); I like Coach Claeys (and felt sorry that he became a scapegoat IMHO at the time of his departure) and I believe 100% that Coach Fleck is genuinely a great man and a great role model/football coach.

As a side note, there has only been two occasions since what happened that I have felt a surge of positive emotions - once when we captured the axe and again when we won the bowl game.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine going through that, but I am sure her spirit lives on through and many others! If there is anything Gopherhole can do for you, I’m in.

So we are going to pretend now that PJ doesn’t benefit personally from the “RTB” brand just because he doesn’t get royalties on U of M use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Licensor hereby grants to Licensee an exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, with right to sublicense, the Licensed Marks for the manufacture, import, sale, and distribution of teh Exclusive Licensed Goods and for the promotion of the Licensed Services during the Term, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

Here is the full contract. https://www.publicrecordmedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/MGDPAUM20182_pd_001-013.pdf

Thank you for posting this!!

It means Fleck allowed the U to license RTB without paying any royalties to him.

Everything else I’ve said about is true though. It is substantially different.

I look at the time between quarters is to rest, recharge your batteries. When Fleck runs, the rest of the team on the field is instructed to run as well. To me that isn't resting but rather using more energy. I probably should have said it differently. Why run the team hard on the field when you don't have to?

Sends a message... Similar to Northwestern coming in late last season and warming up shirtless.

Sure. Fleck wants his image, at this time, to be a high energy, youthful head coach.

I have no problem with that gimmick.

Flecks entire culture is meant to push everyone associated with the program to pursue greatness (on and off the field). It takes energy to pursue greatness. So I do not see it a gimmick, but rather part of the fabric of his being.

to put this into context - we are talking about 2 minutes of a longer interview. 2 minutes.

My gut tells me that this goes back to Kill and Fleck's shared history of working together at NIU. Kill claims he helped Fleck get the head coaching job at WMU. (I have no way to prove or disprove that statement - just noting that Kill apparently believes it.)

It appears that Kill saw himself as mentoring a young coach and helping him move up the career path. that same coach - in Kill's opinion - has not shown sufficient respect or gratitude. Kill pointedly also talked about Jimbo Fischer not showing respect or gratitude to coaches he worked with. Seems like a big deal to Kill.

so, the way I read this, Kill feels he deserves respect and/or gratitude from Fleck, and instead, feels Fleck dissed him with the "changing the culture" mantra, and failed to give Kill and staff any credit for the positive changes they made at MN.

You can understand why Kill might feel this way.

You can also feel Kill should not have said it in public.

There are always two sides or more to every story.

And the "he's changed - I knew his first wife...." I don't read that as being about the divorce. I read that as Kill saying he worked with Fleck before, and he thinks Fleck acts differently now than he did then. (with the implication that the changes were made to further his career).

What is the meaning of Jerrysota? I think that would be a big difference also.

Wasn't it just a silly thing the student section came up with? I don't remember Jerry ever talking about it or wearing it on a shirt or putting it on the uniforms.

Wasn't it just a silly thing the student section came up with? I don't remember Jerry ever talking about it or wearing it on a shirt or putting it on the uniforms.

Or being part of the culture. Ridiculous false equivalence, by those looking to fight anyone questioning any aspect of the RTB branding.

Or being part of the culture. Ridiculous false equivalence, by those looking to fight anyone questioning any aspect of the RTB branding.

My point was Row the Boat has a meaning to it. Working together for a greater good. I don't understand what the big deal is...like it hurts the University of Minnesota's brand. I'm in my 50's and we haven't been good since I was born. I don't get why we are so concerned about upsetting that brand. After every interview, PJ ends it with RTB, Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers! He has energy....he sings The Rouser with enthusiasm...he has clock and game awareness. We beat Wisconsin for the first time in over a decade...and in Wisconsin in over two decades. Maybe if Kill or Claeys would have been able to beat Wisconsin just once, TC would still be coach.

he has clock and game awareness

They use up their timeouts pretty quickly in a game. Not sure I'd use clock management as a compliment to PJ.

I don't really care anymore if he uses RTB. I just thought it odd that someone was using Jerrysota against Jerry Kill.

My point was Row the Boat has a meaning to it. Working together for a greater good. I don't understand what the big deal is...like it hurts the University of Minnesota's brand. I'm in my 50's and we haven't been good since I was born. I don't get why we are so concerned about upsetting that brand. After every interview, PJ ends it with RTB, Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers! He has energy....he sings The Rouser with enthusiasm...he has clock and game awareness. We beat Wisconsin for the first time in over a decade...and in Wisconsin in over two decades. Maybe if Kill or Claeys would have been able to beat Wisconsin just once, TC would still be coach.

I’m 100% for everything it stands for, which mainly boils down to working hard and doing things the right way. Good way to live.

I understand and have sympathy for the trials that Fleck has been through, from which the mantra was created.

My point is simply about the principle of forcing it into the uniforms. Especially since it will leave with Fleck, if he leaves.

All the exact same culture, principles, way of doing business could have been implemented exactly the same, without it being all over the uniforms.

Yes, I’m very happy to die on this hill. My drum banging arms have already fallen off.

Top Bottom