Jerry Kill Slams PJ

J.K. needs to step back and understand that P.J., in the act of wooing a potential employer, and appeasing a new employer once he was hired, didn't have a lot of choice but to beat the "culture drum".

I think most everyone with a clear head could see that the Kill/Claeys regime did wonderful things to get the football program back on track in and out of the classroom, and you know damn well P.J. knows it too.

And...???

Where is all the evidence that Fleck is all about himself?

I agree he's not shy in front of a mic.
I agree he's confident in his abilities and the process he uses for developing young men.
I agree he uses hokey phrases and motivational methods.

Does that make him all about himself? I see the exact opposite.

He preaches a culture of service -- and actually expects players to live it out.
He apparently spends a lot of time meeting individually with players and connecting with them personally (the stories about his chats with Mo).
Sounds like the kids love playing for him.
He promotes the program harder than any coach I can remember.
He does things like send text messages to equipment managers on their wedding anniversaries. I barely remember my own.

I don't know that he's NOT all about himself (perhaps he's an arrogant, egomaniacal b@$tard IRL), but I don't think anyone can say that definitively based on the evidence.

+100

Jerry Kill is criticizing Fleck for changing? If you aren't changing, you are remaining the same. I criticize people for not changing. Tough to get better if you are the same. Not sure I get his point. Is he implying something else? He doesn't like Fleck running up and down the field? Seems petty and strange and embarrassing to mentioning that in your criticism of someone.

Jerry is all uptight because he is stuck in the MAC and PJ has accomplished in 2 years what his staff tried to do in 5 by winning the Axe and giving fans hope

Coyle and PJ did handle the transition press conferences poorly IMO and I totally understand where Jerry is coming from in terms of defending his players and coaches. Sure, Jerry and PJ could both be better adults and discussed things privately but when massive egos collide from opposite ends of the spectrum sometimes things happen.

I tend to agree with the Jer the publicity seems carefully crafted and PJ has clearly read and took to heart the classic book How to Win Friends and Influence People. There’s nothing wrong with that as it serves the mission of the program and his brand, but my BS meter immediately pings because I know so many similar people in my personal and business life. I admit I could be way, way off and it’s more important what recruits and their handlers think - If he can take the program to the next level I will contribute to the statue.

I don't get all the hate for PJ. He is a coach with a vision for the program. It seems to be heading in the right direction.
Kill was a OK coach. He wasn't nearly the great coach that a lot of people on here think he was. Time to move on, Jerry.

Kill touched on something I think PJ would like hidden. Kill mentioned how PJ changed and he mentioned PJs first wife, the one who also lost a child. Something happened there with his first wife that caused her to divorce him. PJ isn't a saint, no matter the persona he portrays.
That said, it seems to take a prick to build a football program. PJ may be a top-notch coach and a d!ck at the same time.

I recall your sympathy for PJ following the death of Nick Connelly. It is hard to reconcile with this callous speculation about his marriage following the death of a child.

On January 5, 2017 - Coach Kill made statements regarding "not stepping foot back in the stadium" and "I won't be stepping back into the university." This, of course was, after Coyle stated to his longtime assistant that the program was in need of "integrity and class." (ESPN Article)

One day later, Coach Fleck stated, "Coach Kill taught me how to care through the head coaches eyes." (Nadine's Presser Notes 1-6-17). TwinCities.com article (1-7-17) quoted PJ saying, "Coach Kill did tell me, hey, tell him you're a Kill guy."

It is my pure speculation that --- these quotes made by Kill and Fleck (within days of one another) really lit a match. Again, pure speculation. But, I don't recall, PJ mentioning Coach Kill and his association with his staff since. He certainly brings up Joe Novak from time to time - but since that introductory press conference I haven't heard.

I wish both of them nothing but the best. I am appreciative of the time Coach Kill spent here and equally appreciative of the time Coach Fleck is putting in here. Both are entitled to an opinion of one another and both will communicate that opinion as they see fit.

Both will move on and work hard at achieving their goals for their respective institutions.

The only thing I can guarantee is that I will be cheering for and supporting Gopher Football regardless of what current or former Head Coaches say. This may make for an interesting Q and A session during B1G Media Days or during Sunday Sports Huddle (special shout out to S.O.N.) though.

Ski-U-Mah

I've been a big Jerry Kill fan for awhile, but I'm starting to lose some respect for him. Well past time for him to let bygones be bygones.

Coyle and PJ did handle the transition press conferences poorly IMO and I totally understand where Jerry is coming from in terms of defending his players and coaches. Sure, Jerry and PJ could both be better adults and discussed things privately but when massive egos collide from opposite ends of the spectrum sometimes things happen.

I tend to agree with the Jer the publicity seems carefully crafted and PJ has clearly read and took to heart the classic book How to Win Friends and Influence People. There’s nothing wrong with that as it serves the mission of the program and his brand, but my BS meter immediately pings because I know so many similar people in my personal and business life. I admit I could be way, way off and it’s more important what recruits and their handlers think - If he can take the program to the next level I will contribute to the statue.

Does you BS meter react differently between PJ and the Brew? If not, you need to get it recalibrated. I can understand not liking his style, but everyone who really knows him says he is the same all the time and he backs it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know what how? That what JK said is correct? Are you serious? Have you been paying attention to PJ?

It is puzzling how some who watch so closely can be so blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to recall Jerry Kill blaming the players after a loss or more (I could be wrong, but that's what I remember). Something like, "players need to execute" (aka it's not my fault). It sounds like he defends his players when it is convenient to defend them. That stated, I only know what I see publicly.

Does you BS meter react differently between PJ and the Brew? If not, you need to get it recalibrated. I can understand not liking his style, but everyone who really knows him says he is the same all the time and he backs it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^ makes mild chili ^^^

I am disappointed in Jerry Kill not taking the high road. He's bitter about some things.

Credit goes to him for cleaning up the mess post Brewster and for bringing in discipline and improve academics. He pushed hard for the Athletic Village. Mega Tongue was ineffective. However, Kill and Claeys did not exactly light a fire on the recruiting front.

Say all you want about PJ Fleck. He's an indefatigable recruiter and promo guy. The kids love playing for him. If he brings Big Ten titles someday, I am not complaining.

Last edited:

I seem to recall Jerry Kill blaming the players after a loss or more (I could be wrong, but that's what I remember). Something like, "players need to execute" (aka it's not my fault). It sounds like he defends his players when it is convenient to defend them. That stated, I only know what I see publicly.

I think Howden was thrown under the bus last year worse than any Gopher I can recall.

Please explain how the culture has changed for the better under Fleck? And please remember that Kill had already resigned long before the rape allegations came to light.

My guess is that other coaches feel the same way about PJ as Kill does.

Kill took over a team that had won 3 games the year before, PJ took over a team that won 9 games. I would say Kill built a pretty good culture.

My thought is that Kill was actually kind in his assessment of PJ. My guess is that off the record, Kill would be a lot more forthright about his true feelings towards PJ.

Why is PJ on wife number two? I think it's a valid question considering the loyalty and culture PJ demands.

This is just an excellent post. Also, thinking this and wondering about the last question doesn’t mean someone can’t be a supporter of Fleck.

This is just an excellent post. Also, thinking this and wondering about the last question doesn’t mean someone can’t be a supporter of Fleck.

I don't think the 2nd wife is a fair issue to be bringing up unless you have lost a kid the way they did and were somehow able to stay with your wife. I hope to never find out what it's like to lose a child. I can only imagine how difficult that would be.

Jerry Kill, be quite while you never were on top like PJ Fleck was when he whooped Wisconsin LIKE you never could...

Kill touched on something I think PJ would like hidden. Kill mentioned how PJ changed and he mentioned PJs first wife, the one who also lost a child. Something happened there with his first wife that caused her to divorce him. PJ isn't a saint, no matter the persona he portrays.
That said, it seems to take a prick to build a football program. PJ may be a top-notch coach and a d!ck at the same time.

Makes Kill even look more of a prick by bringing in PJ's former wife who lost a child.

Can't really get more classless than that.

I think Howden was thrown under the bus last year worse than any Gopher I can recall.

PJ is famous for immediately saying a loss is his fault and then going on about XYZ lack of talent, lack of depth...every coach does this. Not a big deal to me. He took the high road publicly with Robb even when his unit was a historic shipwreck. Some coaches will shut down and answer every question with my fault, got to coach better which is safer.

Makes Kill even look more of a prick by bringing in PJ's former wife who lost a child.

He said PJ changed after going under Schiano’s thumb. I took that to mean maybe his attitude change, etc, contributed to the divorce. Sounds like Kill doesn’t like Schiano much, or maybe I’m reading too much into it.

So when did PJ directly criticize Jerry? If it happened I missed it. I know PJ talked about culture change and the like, but I recall Jerry did the same thing as a new coach and I don’t think Brewster ever felt the need to publicly complain about it.

PJ drives me crazy sometimes, but so did Jerry. Both have massive egos. I have no problem with that because I think both of them are also massively capable. But I do miss Tracy Claeys and his low key, humble manner.

Please explain how the culture has changed for the better under Fleck? And please remember that Kill had already resigned long before the rape allegations came to light.

My guess is that other coaches feel the same way about PJ as Kill does.

Kill took over a team that had won 3 games the year before, PJ took over a team that won 9 games. I would say Kill built a pretty good culture.

My thought is that Kill was actually kind in his assessment of PJ. My guess is that off the record, Kill would be a lot more forthright about his true feelings towards PJ.

Why is PJ on wife number two? I think it's a valid question considering the loyalty and culture PJ demands.

No it isn't. Why do you think the public is entitled to the reasons why someone got divorced?

I had left this alone and tried to move on but.....

Jerry Kill is a hypocritical assh*le of biblical proportions.

The self serving sh**t he did to players when he came in. The leaking seizures to certain media member (not plural) to deflect, trashing players publicly and then telling them he was playing the media and didn’t mean it privately.

Man, I could on and get far more specific but what’s the point. PJ isn’t my cup of tea either but it’s just about style, dude can coach. Kill is just a jealous media whore that needs to go away.

Point is PJ changed. You can think it was for good or for bad, but he changed. He changed enough that the woman who once loved him and bore his children felt she needed a divorce. This is simply fact.
Again, being a prick doesn't mean PJ isn't or won't be a very good coach.

He said PJ changed after going under Schiano’s thumb. I took that to mean maybe his attitude change, etc, contributed to the divorce. Sounds like Kill doesn’t like Schiano much, or maybe I’m reading too much into it.
Yeah, I think you may be on to something there.

Where is all the evidence that Fleck is all about himself?

I agree he's not shy in front of a mic.
I agree he's confident in his abilities and the process he uses for developing young men.
I agree he uses hokey phrases and motivational methods.

Does that make him all about himself? I see the exact opposite.

He preaches a culture of service -- and actually expects players to live it out.
He apparently spends a lot of time meeting individually with players and connecting with them personally (the stories about his chats with Mo).
Sounds like the kids love playing for him.
He promotes the program harder than any coach I can remember.
He does things like send text messages to equipment managers on their wedding anniversaries. I barely remember my own.

I don't know that he's NOT all about himself (perhaps he's an arrogant, egomaniacal b@$tard IRL), but I don't think anyone can say that definitively based on the evidence.

Great post.

Top Bottom