Blind Resume Part 5: 2 Teams For 1 At-Large Bid

Not really. Here's what those profiles look like using RPI instead of NET...

BELMONT
RPI/KPI Average: 50.5
Q1 Record: 2-1
Q1/Q2 Record: 5-1
Best 3 Wins/Total : 200 (@ #64, #64, @ #72)
True Road Record: 10-3
Road/Neutral Record: 10-3
Overall SOS: 205
Nonconference SOS: 70

MINNESOTA
RPI/KPI Average: 43
Q1 Record: 3-6
Q1/Q2 Record: 3-9
Best 3 Wins/Total : 75 (vs #21, @ #26, #28)
True Road Record: 1-7
Road/Neutral Record: 5-7
Overall SOS: 46
Nonconference SOS: 166

The only major change when you use RPI instead of NET is that our Q1/Q2 wins go from 8 to 3. I don't see how that is helpful.

The fewest Q1/Q2 wins by an at-large team last year was 7 I believe. So we'd have quite a bit of work to do if they still went by RPI.

I'm just referring to the overall ranking.
RPI of 50 or lower for small conferences is an automatic ticket out of the tournament.
Top 40-45 traditionally make it for large conference teams.

With NET being emphasized, I'm going to be looking at the NET vs RPI teams with the largest Delta's to see if the old standard RPI rules have been rewritten with the new selection committee.

Yep. I use Warren Nolan team sheets.

Pardon my ignorance, but I see us having a 75 sos on Nolan. Must be looking at the wrong thing. At any rate, would the seeding committee use 61 for our sos?

Could you post overall records when making these? Or quad 3/4 records? I believe that you’ve said before that you really only care about quad 1/2 games - however, by only posting these records, you’re forcing everyone else to use only the information you prioritize as opposed to the information the committee has available. I agree that the top tier games carry more weight, but when teams resumes are as close as they are in these exercises, if the top ends of resumes are similar but team A has 3 quad 4 losses where team B has 0, that might be a deciding factor to tip the balance. Love that you’re posting these, but just personally think it would be more accurate if we had all the information the committee has.

Top Bottom