Blind Resume Part 5: 2 Teams For 1 At-Large Bid

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Last one for today. ...

Hint: This one is less apples for apples than some of our other resume exercises. Which one do you select?

Again, if you have an idea who either of these teams might be, I ask that you not hint at it or blurt it out in this thread. Voting stops at 1:30. I will follow up with the teams & our voting results.

@ = road win
vs. = neutral-site win
neither = home win

Team A
NET/KPI Average: 55.5
Quad 1 Record: 2-1
Quad 1/2 Record: 5-2
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 135 (@ #37, #37, @ #61)
True Road Record: 10-3
Road/Neutral Record: same as True Road (no neutral-site games)
Overall SOS: 210
Non-Conference SOS: 77
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-1

Team B
NET/KPI Average: 45.5
Quad 1 Record: 3-7
Quad 1/2 Record: 8-9
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 74 (@ #15, #28, vs. #31)
True Road Record: 1-7
Road/Neutral Record: 5-7
Overall SOS: 61
Non-Conference SOS: 184
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-6

I'm taking A for the road record and the willingness to play a tougher non con schedule. That should be rewarded.

Last one for today. ...

Hint: This one is less apples for apples than some of our other resume exercises. Which one do you select?

Again, if you have an idea who either of these teams might be, I ask that you not hint at it or blurt it out in this thread. Voting stops at 1:30. I will follow up with the teams & our voting results.

@ = road win
vs. = neutral-site win
neither = home win

Team A
NET/KPI Average: 55.5
Quad 1 Record: 2-1
Quad 1/2 Record: 5-2
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 135 (@ #37, #37, @ #61)
Road/Neutral Record: same as True Road (no neutral-site games)
Overall SOS: 210
Non-Conference SOS: 77
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-1

Team B
NET/KPI Average: 45.5
Quad 1 Record: 3-7
Quad 1/2 Record: 8-9
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 74 (@ #15, #28, vs. #31)
Overall SOS: 61
Non-Conference SOS: 184
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-6

B
Tough one. Overall sos makes the difference here for me.

well team b is clearly the gophers right lol...so i choose them

Thanks, dude, appreciate you ruining the whole point of this exercise, LOL.

No need for anyone else to reply to this one, thanks Holy Man and ltf for participating in good faith.

I would have taken A. 10-3 true road record. Better non-conference SOS. Overall SOS is a problem though.

So I knew B was the gophers as well but unbiased I'd choose them still. Team A is likely from a lower level conference judging by the road/neutral record. My guess is they either have to win their conference tourney or aren't in but we will have to wait and see how the committee does things this year.

I would have taken A. 10-3 true road record. Better non-conference SOS. Overall SOS is a problem though.
I still don't know who A is, but yeah that 10-3 true road record looks good on paper, but, as you hinted, their conference schedule appears to be trash so I took that true road record with a grain of salt. but then I looked at their best NET wins, and two came on the road, so that's something

SS, where do you find the overall sos number? Just wondering, thanks.

Team A.

Have both in with A just a couple spots ahead of B.

I knew it was the Gophers too but held back on replying.

Does a victory over Michigan move us to "Should be safe" line.

Team B's third best win is better than Team A's best win.
SOS isn't even close.

Last edited:

I knew team B was the Gophers, but decided not to reply either.

Selection, where are you getting your profile information? I see Wofford with a quad 1 record of 2-4.

I also feel like this is where a simple profile like this can be a little misleading. Would anyone think quad 1 wins vs UNCG and ETSU outweigh, wins at Wisconsin, vs Washington and vs Iowa?

Kenpom has our sos at 23. Just wondering where the 61 comes from.

Team A's other best wins:
#37, #37, #61, #116, #125, #130, #148

Team B's other best wins:
#15, #28, #31, #38, #55, #70, #83, #86, #77, #103, #111

Team B has 11 wins better than the team A's 4th best win.

Selection, where are you getting your profile information? I see Wofford with a quad 1 record of 2-4.

I also feel like this is where a simple profile like this can be a little misleading. Would anyone think quad 1 wins vs UNCG and ETSU outweigh, wins at Wisconsin, vs Washington and vs Iowa?

Good catch (see above). It's Belmont, not Wofford.

I appreciate the comparisons, but these tend to be an exercise of "What limited info can I provide to mislead you into picking the wrong team".

Non-Conference SOS is close to meaningless, especially if you are a major 6 team who is already playing a high number of top 100 teams.
If you are small conference, you will have a weak SOS, so a non-conference SOS would that matter some, but not a lot. A Big Ten schedule with a non-conf of 200 might seem bad but it's pretty close to average for a non-conference schedule.

Traditionally, by old measure of RPI, Team B would be bubble or in and Team A would be outside looking in.

If you had to give me just one item for choosing teams, I'd ask for a list of each teams top 15 wins with an RPI (or even NET) ranking next to them.

Show me the average rating of the top 15 wins for a team and that's the team I'll pick.

I appreciate the comparisons, but these tend to be an exercise of "What limited info can I provide to mislead you into picking the wrong team".

Non-Conference SOS is close to meaningless, especially if you are a major 6 team who is already playing a high number of top 100 teams.
If you are small conference, you will have a weak SOS, so a non-conference SOS would that matter some, but not a lot. A Big Ten schedule with a non-conf of 200 might seem bad but it's pretty close to average for a non-conference schedule.

Traditionally, by old measure of RPI, Team B would be bubble or in and Team A would be outside looking in.

Not really. Here's what those profiles look like using RPI instead of NET...

BELMONT
RPI/KPI Average: 50.5
Q1 Record: 2-1
Q1/Q2 Record: 5-1
Best 3 Wins/Total : 200 (@ #64, #64, @ #72)
Road/Neutral Record: 10-3
Overall SOS: 205
Nonconference SOS: 70

MINNESOTA
RPI/KPI Average: 43
Q1 Record: 3-6
Q1/Q2 Record: 3-9
Best 3 Wins/Total : 75 (vs #21, @ #26, #28)
Overall SOS: 46
Nonconference SOS: 166

The only major change when you use RPI instead of NET is that our Q1/Q2 wins go from 8 to 3. I don't see how that is helpful.

The fewest Q1/Q2 wins by an at-large team last year was 7 I believe. So we'd have quite a bit of work to do if they still went by RPI.

Not really. Here's what those profiles look like using RPI instead of NET...

BELMONT
RPI/KPI Average: 50.5
Q1 Record: 2-1
Q1/Q2 Record: 5-1
Best 3 Wins/Total : 200 (@ #64, #64, @ #72)
Road/Neutral Record: 10-3
Overall SOS: 205
Nonconference SOS: 70

MINNESOTA
RPI/KPI Average: 43
Q1 Record: 3-6
Q1/Q2 Record: 3-9
Best 3 Wins/Total : 75 (vs #21, @ #26, #28)
Overall SOS: 46
Nonconference SOS: 166

The only major change when you use RPI instead of NET is that our Q1/Q2 wins go from 8 to 3. I don't see how that is helpful.

The fewest Q1/Q2 wins by an at-large team last year was 7 I believe. So we'd have quite a bit of work to do if they still went by RPI.

Good stuff, thanks.

Top Bottom