Blind Resume Part 4: 2 Teams For The Final Spot

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This time I'll provide the teams' average NET/KPI ranking.

You're on the Selection Committee, and you have 2 teams under consideration for the final at-large bid. Which one do you select?

If you have an idea who either of these teams might be, I ask that you don't speculate or blurt it out in this thread. The idea of the exercise is anonymity of the teams. Voting stops at 11 a.m. I will follow up with the teams & our voting results.

@ = road win
vs. = neutral-site win
neither = home win

Team A
NET/KPI Average: 31
Quad 1 Record: 0-7
Quad 1/2 Record: 8-8
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 114 (#31, #33, #50)
True Road Record: 2-5
Road/Neutral Record: 5-6
Overall SOS: 34
Non-Conference SOS: 48
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-7

Team B
NET/KPI Average: 33.5
Quad 1 Record: 3-8
Quad 1/2 Record: 9-10
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 100 (#26, vs. #33, @ #41)
True Road Record: 5-5
Road/Neutral Record: 8-6
Overall SOS: 17
Non-Conference SOS: 23
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-9

Last edited:

This time I'll provide the teams' average NET/KPI ranking.

You're on the Selection Committee, and you have 2 teams under consideration for the final at-large bid. Which one do you select?

If you have an idea who either of these teams might be, I ask that you don't speculate or blurt it out in this thread. The idea of the exercise is anonymity of the teams. Voting stops at noon. I will follow up with the teams & our voting results.

@ = road win
vs. = neutral-site win
neither = home win

Team A
NET/KPI Average: 31
Quad 1 Record: 0-7
Quad 1/2 Record: 8-8
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 114 (#31, #33, #50)
True Road Record: 2-5
Road/Neutral Record: 5-6
Overall SOS: 34
Non-Conference SOS: 48
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-7

Team B
NET/KPI Average: 33.5
Quad 1 Record: 3-8
Quad 1/2 Record: 9-10
Best 3 NET Wins/Total: 100 (#26, vs. #33, @ #41)
True Road Record: 5-5
Road/Neutral Record: 8-6
Overall SOS: 17
Non-Conference SOS: 23
Record vs. My Current Field of 68: 3-9

B

Not sure how this is a question

B has better Quad 1 record, road and neutral/road record. Better quality wins and a higher SOS. Only thing against them is a worse record against the field. Would love to see their overall records but I'm going with B.

Team B

I have them both easily in, and they are actually right next to each other on my board.

Voting results & team identities

You all voted for the same team (B), and that doesn't surprise me. ... I did, too.

The point of this Blind Resume was to show that sometimes a team assumed to be in the Field of 68 (Team A) by pretty much every bracketologist can have an inferior looking resume to one that is considered a bubble team (Team B).

Team B, assumed to be a bubble team largely because of its 4-9 Big XII record, is Oklahoma.

Team A, with a sparkly #22 NET ranking despite a grand total of ZERO Quad 1 wins, is considered "safely in the field" by pretty much every reputable bracketologist. Team A = Auburn.

I knew this would be some M. Night Shyamalan **** going on.

You all voted for the same team (B), and that doesn't surprise me. ... I did, too.

The point of this Blind Resume was to show that sometimes a team assumed to be in the Field of 68 (Team A) by pretty much every bracketologist can have an inferior looking resume to one that is considered a bubble team (Team B).

Team B, assumed to be a bubble team largely because of its 4-9 Big XII record, is Oklahoma.

Team A, with a sparkly #22 NET ranking despite a grand total of ZERO Quad 1 wins, is considered "safely in the field" by pretty much every reputable bracketologist. Team A = Auburn.

So really you are saying neither one of them deserves to be in. I agree.:)

So really you are saying neither one of them deserves to be in. I agree.:)

I actually don't mind Oklahoma's resume relative to other bubble teams, but that conference record will be a significant issue for me if it's roughly the same on Selection Sunday, let's say 7-12 (including Big XII tourney results). Those are the ones where it's really hard to decide what I think the committee will do. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to look at it), the Gophers could be in a similar position as Oklahoma if they don't finish strong.

I actually don't mind Oklahoma's resume relative to other bubble teams, but that conference record will be a significant issue for me if it's roughly the same on Selection Sunday, let's say 7-12 (including Big XII tourney results). Those are the ones where it's really hard to decide what I think the committee will do. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to look at it), the Gophers could be in a similar position as Oklahoma if they don't finish strong.

I don't know what the committee will do, but I know what it shouldn't do: take a team with a 7-12 conference record. Only a fraction of the teams picked have much chance of advancing far into the tournament. For the rest of the teams selected, making the tournament as an at large bid is recognition for having a good season. Can we really say that a team with a 7-12 conference record had a good season? I'm guessing that team's diehard fans don't think so.

I don't know what the committee will do, but I know what it shouldn't do: take a team with a 7-12 conference record. Only a fraction of the teams picked have much chance of advancing far into the tournament. For the rest of the teams selected, making the tournament as an at large bid is recognition for having a good season. Can we really say that a team with a 7-12 conference record had a good season? I'm guessing that team's diehard fans don't think so.

Well said.

Well said.

Some of these teams that are considered on the bubble aren't even close to .500 in their conference. Clemson is 5-8 and Oklahoma is 4-9. Selection, just off hand how many teams in your opinion are battling for so many spots? Are there like 17 teams battling for 10 spots? Who should we start rooting against? Obviously, we wont have to worry about it if we keep winning! Thank you for doing what you do Selection!

Some of these teams that are considered on the bubble aren't even close to .500 in their conference. Clemson is 5-8 and Oklahoma is 4-9. Selection, just off hand how many teams in your opinion are battling for so many spots? Are there like 17 teams battling for 10 spots? Who should we start rooting against? Obviously, we wont have to worry about it if we keep winning! Thank you for doing what you do Selection!

Heading into this week I had 56 spots basically filled (includes the 32 auto bids). I had 19 teams under consideration for the final 12 spots, and 3-4 of those 19 were really, really, really weak.

The Gophers have a major opportunity this week to simply put this bubble discussion to rest. Win both this week, and they'd really have to screw up (lose their last 3 + first game in Chicago) to not make the tournament. It's in their hands. They have a top-10 team coming to their own building. Take care of it yourself.

Heading into this week I had 56 spots basically filled (includes the 32 auto bids). I had 19 teams under consideration for the final 12 spots, and 3-4 of those 19 were really, really, really weak.

The Gophers have a major opportunity this week to simply put this bubble discussion to rest. Win both this week, and they'd really have to screw up (lose their last 3 + first game in Chicago) to not make the tournament. It's in their hands. They have a top-10 team coming to their own building. Take care of it yourself.

Thanks Selection! Sounds to me like were sitting in an alright position. Now its just up to us!

Thanks Selection! Sounds to me like were sitting in an alright position. Now its just up to us!

If it's any consolation, nationally there's a group of about 10-15 bubble teams that regularly are being discussed, and the Gophers aren't one of them. If they lose both this week, they almost assuredly will become part of that discussion.

If it's any consolation, nationally there's a group of about 10-15 bubble teams that regularly are being discussed, and the Gophers aren't one of them. If they lose both this week, they almost assuredly will become part of that discussion.

I keep seeing the BTN/Fox guy giving the Gophers a "last four in" marker, which scares me. Ripe for being picked off by a bid stealer in small conference. But as I look at the smaller conferences, I am not seeing many automatic at-larges if the favorites don't win. Gonzaga and Nevada for sure, perhaps Wofford, but beyond that do you see any small conference bid stealing possibilities? Maybe greater concern is some middling Power 5 bubbler making a run in the conference tourney. Ohio State comes to mind in that category. (I think you have the Buckeyes in right now, but I have a hard time seeing them in with the late season schedule of theirs.)

I keep seeing the BTN/Fox guy giving the Gophers a "last four in" marker, which scares me. Ripe for being picked off by a bid stealer in small conference. But as I look at the smaller conferences, I am not seeing many automatic at-larges if the favorites don't win. Gonzaga and Nevada for sure, perhaps Wofford, but beyond that do you see any small conference bid stealing possibilities? Maybe greater concern is some middling Power 5 bubbler making a run in the conference tourney. Ohio State comes to mind in that category. (I think you have the Buckeyes in right now, but I have a hard time seeing them in with the late season schedule of theirs.)

Yeah for sure. Gotta hope someone like Illinois doesnt make some incredible run like they did years back at the united center, but they ran out of gas the last day. Cant remember what year that was.

Potential bid-stealers

Holy Man, here's my short list of potential bid-stealers if they fail to win their conference tournament:

1 ASUN if someone other than Lipscomb wins it

2 Atlantic 10 if someone other than VCU wins it

3 MAC if someone other than Buffalo wins it

4 Mountain West if someone other than Nevada (or perhaps Utah State) wins it

5 Ohio Valley if someone other than Belmont wins it

6 Pac 12 if someone other than Washington (or perhaps Arizona State) wins it

7 SoCon if someone other than Wofford (or perhaps Furman) wins it

8 WCC if someone other than Gonzaga wins it

I would be most concerned about 2-7. I'm not high on Lipscomb's at-large chances, and no one in the WCC is beating Gonzaga.

And obviously that doesn't include the scenario you mentioned with major conference tournaments.

Last edited:

Foxsports has "hated" us all season. Palm at cbssports, on the other hand, has"loved" us all season and currently has us a 9 seed. Truth is somewhere in between I suppose.

Foxsports has "hated" us all season. Palm at cbssports, on the other hand, has"loved" us all season and currently has us a 9 seed. Truth is somewhere in between I suppose.

Howie Schwab (the FOX/BTN bracketologist) is terrible. Can't believe he's the best they can come up with. Put zero stock in his "Last 4 In" and "First 4 Out", especially.

Top Bottom