College Football teams with potential for 2019

2018 Record: 7-6 (3-6 Big Ten)

Last year, Minnesota took full advantage of a weak nonconference slate but battled inconsistency in Big Ten play. The Gophers lost to Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois yet blasted Purdue and Wisconsin.

What do they have in store for 2019?

The optimist says Zack Annexstad and Tanner Morgan are both promising, so the quarterback competition has two good solutions. Minnesota only loses two starters on offense, while the defense has more to replace but has an experienced back seven.

And the schedule―oh, the schedule. The Gophers open with South Dakota State, Fresno State and Georgia Southern, and they do not play Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State. Their opening Big Ten contests are Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland. Of those five, Minnesota is a better team than all except maybe Purdue.

November will determine if Minnesota is a contender, but P.J. Fleck's squad is poised for the essential leap to "competitive" in 2019.

It's nice to get some ink.

But:

"Last year, Minnesota took full advantage of a weak nonconference slate but battled inconsistency in Big Ten play."

Wasn't Fresno State on our non conference schedule in 2018, and didn't Fresno State finish up as the #18 team in the country last year?

Fresno St is a weaker opponent in 2019 vs 2018...

Probably true.

The pulled quote from the article was describing last year's non conference schedule as weak. In 2018, Fresno State was not a "weak" opponent.

Probably true.

The pulled quote from the article was describing last year's non conference schedule as weak. In 2018, Fresno State was not a "weak" opponent.

Yeah, that was arguably the toughest opponent the Gophers defeated last year, which of course includes their Big Ten victories.

Probably true.

The legend of Fresno State continues on. With an S&P+ SOS that ranked 91st in the country, yeah. A juggernaut.

The Gophers with Robb Smith as DC would have gone 12-2 with that schedule, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2018 Record: 7-6 (3-6 Big Ten)

Last year, Minnesota took full advantage of a weak nonconference slate but battled inconsistency in Big Ten play. The Gophers lost to Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois yet blasted Purdue and Wisconsin.

What do they have in store for 2019?

The optimist says Zack Annexstad and Tanner Morgan are both promising, so the quarterback competition has two good solutions. Minnesota only loses two starters on offense, while the defense has more to replace but has an experienced back seven.

And the schedule―oh, the schedule. The Gophers open with South Dakota State, Fresno State and Georgia Southern, and they do not play Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State. Their opening Big Ten contests are Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland. Of those five, Minnesota is a better team than all except maybe Purdue.

November will determine if Minnesota is a contender, but P.J. Fleck's squad is poised for the essential leap to "competitive" in 2019.

I'm surprised we're considered better than Nebraska.

I think Frost gets it done in Nebraska, but I also think Fleck gets it done here, will be fun growing rivalry with them

The legend of Fresno State continues on. With an S&P+ SOS that ranked 91st in the country, yeah. A juggernaut.

The Gophers with Robb Smith as DC would have gone 12-2 with that schedule, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody said they were a "juggernaut". I simply stated (factually) that they finished the season ranked 18th. To be precise, they were #18 in both the AP Top 25 and the Coaches Poll.

Top Bottom