2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Yeah Odo has bounced back some. I still just if I had to choose 1 pitcher to get me through 5 innings and into the 6th and feel confident they will only give up 2-3 runs max it would be Pineda. I don't have that confidence in anyone else.

Almost as important who are they moving to the bullpen. Perez? Have him come in in the 3rd when Berrios is getting popped?

It depends if they use 4 starters. Then Perez may start ahead of Gibson. They have plenty of long reliever options (Smeltzer, Stewart etc.) that might be better than converting a guy who's been in the rotation all year.

It depends if they use 4 starters. Then Perez may start ahead of Gibson. They have plenty of long reliever options (Smeltzer, Stewart etc.) that might be better than converting a guy who's been in the rotation all year.

I have no confidence in Gibson anymore. His typical 1 good game out of 4 isn't going to help this team in the playoffs (knocking on wood that we still win the division). If he didn't have this offense behind him, he would have a sub .500 record easily. If we stick with 4 starters, then I would hope Gibson gets sent to the bullpen, but I'm pretty sure Rocco would stick with Gibson and send Perez to the pen.

I have no confidence in Gibson anymore. His typical 1 good game out of 4 isn't going to help this team in the playoffs (knocking on wood that we still win the division). If he didn't have this offense behind him, he would have a sub .500 record easily. If we stick with 4 starters, then I would hope Gibson gets sent to the bullpen, but I'm pretty sure Rocco would stick with Gibson and send Perez to the pen.

Gibby is a head case. Plenty good stuff. I agree with you.

If the Twins win tomorrow, we will be 33 games over .500 for the first time since 1970.

Win Twins!!

STrib: Twins are five shy of the major league home run record

The countdown is on.

The Twins are just five home runs shy of tying the major league single season record of 267 home runs hit by the New York Yankees last season.

Given that the Twins are averaging 1.9 home runs a game, they could break the record by Monday.

It’s been a long summer of loud contact by Twins hitters, and it is about to land them in the record books. But how much can the Twins savor the moment bomba No. 268 clears the fence? There is something bigger out there to achieve, a division championship. The Twins are trying to hold off the Indians in the AL Central in a race that didn’t exist in June but has heated up within the past month.

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli, who said Friday that his lineup has no bottom, added that reaching 268 home runs will be an achievement worth savoring.

“Everyone enjoys it a little bit differently and just cause we probably don’t talk about it and bring it up on our end doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate it,” Baldelli said. “The offensive year we have had to this point has been pretty special. The home runs are glamorous and all of that. It’s been fun to be a part of it and watch it, and I feel lucky to be able to sit there and just watch our guys go out there and do what they have done."

http://www.startribune.com/twins-are-six-shy-of-the-major-league-home-run-record/558866032/

Win Twins!!

Tonight was my last straw for Gibson. I've been an advocate of keeping him as a #4 starter for a reasonable price. But enough. Odorizzi drives me nuts sometimes too, but at least his best starts are good.

Gibson and Perez should not be on the roster next season, if we're a serious team. They really need someone like Cole. With Cole at the top.of the rotation, we'd have a solid staff, assuming we keep Pineda amd Odorizzi around.

Stop hating on Gibson everyone! You are so mean! :cool02:

Gibson and Perez should not be on the roster next season, if we're a serious team. They really need someone like Cole. With Cole at the top.of the rotation, we'd have a solid staff, assuming we keep Pineda amd Odorizzi around.

They have an option on Perez for $7.5 million. That's a pretty good deal even if he's .500 with a 4.50 ERA. Gibson, Odo and Pineda are all free agents. I'll be surprised if they keep more than one of them. Pineda is most likely, IMO. Someone will give Odorizzi 3/$45 million or more. I'd pass on that.

It's a thing. Just a tad arrogant to start it when you're only up 3.5 games.

Not when you do it like this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Minnesota Twins just broke the single season MLB record for homerun with 268. Mitch Garver with the record setting homerun in the 9th.

And the lead is 5.5 games. Nice work.

Nice to see Graterol get his feet wet in what was not a high stress situation. Good for him. Good to see the Twins open up a decent lead to start September for the home stretch

And the lead is 5.5 games. Nice work.

Nice to see Graterol get his feet wet in what was not a high stress situation. Good for him. Good to see the Twins open up a decent lead to start September for the home stretch

When you can throw 100 that effortlessly, just throw strikes and let them try and hit it. Strange that they didn't add him yesterday to make him eligible for post-season. But I'm sure that someone can be "injured" if necessary.

When you can throw 100 that effortlessly, just throw strikes and let them try and hit it. Strange that they didn't add him yesterday to make him eligible for post-season. But I'm sure that someone can be "injured" if necessary.

Kibby’s Tummy hurts.

All players on the 40-man roster are eligible for the playoffs.

Big stretch for the Twins starting tonight: 3 with Boston, 6 with Cleveland, and 3 with Washington. Go at least 6-6 with at least 3 wins against Cleveland and they will be in really good shape. Last 13 games are against Chicago, KC, and Detroit.

Big stretch for the Twins starting tonight: 3 with Boston, 6 with Cleveland, and 3 with Washington. Go at least 6-6 with at least 3 wins against Cleveland and they will be in really good shape. Last 13 games are against Chicago, KC, and Detroit.

Strange decision to start Dobnak tonight and push Berrios back a day. Means Dobnak will start against Cleveland this week-end and Berrios will not. If he needs the rest, I get it, but it's hard to see one day making a difference.

Isn't that pretty much what I said? He either had to be on before 9/1 or there had to be an injury.

You said that they could create an "injury" later on if needed. There has to be a player on the IL as of 8/31, and they have to be the same position - i.e., pitcher for pitcher, batter for batter. Seth Littell was on the 40-man and on the IL as of 8/31, which is why they could afford to call Graterol up on 9/1.

You said that they could create an "injury" later on if needed. There has to be a player on the IL as of 8/31, and they have to be the same position - i.e., pitcher for pitcher, batter for batter. Seth Littell was on the 40-man and on the IL as of 8/31, which is why they could afford to call Graterol up on 9/1.

Do you have a link for that? I was under the impression that any player could be moved off the 40 man to the 60 day IL before the play-offs and any player could replace them.

Do you have a link for that? I was under the impression that any player could be moved off the 40 man to the 60 day IL before the play-offs and any player could replace them.

And I butchered the name - I meant Sean Poppen, not Seth Littell, who isn't a pitcher in the Twins organization.

Also, this:

Those two would seem to contradict regarding whether it has to be a pitcher or not. In any event, I guess they have to tell Poppen he's hurt and not getting any better. They should have just called him on up Saturday. They could have lived without Cody Steshak or someone else for 5-6 extra days given that they were calling up 87 relievers on Sunday.

Top Bottom