2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Both is too much unless there is more coming back. But they certainly have enough pieces to do it with one of them and some of their other top 20 guys.

They can have both for deGrom. If they want both for Syndergaard, they can go pound sand.

Is it too much if they include Diaz?

I might do that. His ERA is near 5 this year though. If you think he'll return to form, I would do it. He's under control through 2022.

Relievers are so fickle. But at the end of the day, you give yourself a great shot this year and have an ace and a closer through the next 2/3 years. So yes. The Twins are pretty set in the OF/2b/SS through that period with the current roster.

Last edited:

They can have both for deGrom. If they want both for Syndergaard, they can go pound sand.

Neither side would do that. The Mets would want more for deGrom (rightfully so) and he has an extension kicking in next year that pays him $160M over the next 5 years. The Twins won't pay $20M+/yr for anyone aside from light-hitting first basemen who grew up in St. Paul.

The Twins became the fastest team in MLB history to hit 200 HRs in a season. We did it in 105 games...Texas has the previous record when they did it in 122 games.

Win Twins!!

Neither side would do that. The Mets would want more for deGrom (rightfully so) and he has an extension kicking in next year that pays him $160M over the next 5 years. The Twins won't pay $20M+/yr for anyone aside from light-hitting first basemen who grew up in St. Paul.

$20-25M a year wouldn't be so bad but deGrom is set to make over $32M when he is 36. Rarely do these big contracts work out. Mauer was one of the many examples. But at least the Twins also had Mauer when he was great and was making hardly anything.

Look at what Falvey and Levine did coming into this season. Virtually every deal they made was for one year, or one year with an option. At least for now, these guys have not been tying themselves down to long-term, big-buck deals. Yes, they extended Polanco and Kepler, but they are younger guys who will be under team control at a reasonable salary.

I just don't see them going out and bringing in some guy who is going to want a $25M deal. Especially for pitchers - teams are getting a lot more wary of committing big, long-term deals for pitching. I think the trend is turning toward shorter deals.

I suspect that Falvey and Levine will be more about developing their own players from the farm system, and rewarding them with deals once they show they deserve it.

The Minnesota Twins are deep into talks with the Miami Marlins on a deal that would send reliever Sergio Romo to Minnesota, sources with knowledge of the situation tell ESPN. The expectation is a trade will soon be finalized.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1155272313333587968

One Marlins source says the deal should be completed soon. It would add a much-needed bullpen piece to the Twins, who continue to be aggressive in pursuit of help to their pitching staff.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1155272561959350272

Sergio Romo traded to the Twins for Lewin Diaz.

The Minnesota Twins are deep into talks with the Miami Marlins on a deal that would send reliever Sergio Romo to Minnesota, sources with knowledge of the situation tell ESPN. The expectation is a trade will soon be finalized.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1155272313333587968

One Marlins source says the deal should be completed soon. It would add a much-needed bullpen piece to the Twins, who continue to be aggressive in pursuit of help to their pitching staff.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1155272561959350272

Sergio Romo traded to the Twins for Lewin Diaz.

That does nothing for me. He is very mediocre. They need a better arm than that if they want to win.

That does nothing for me. He is very mediocre. They need a better arm than that if they want to win.

Looks like he's been lights out lately though. From my rough math, in his last 11 outings he has 11 K, 0 BB, and 0 ER, going back to mid-June. Doesn't walk people and doesn't put many people on base. Looks like the Marlins threw in a half-way decent pitching prospect as well.

For a prospect like Lewin Diaz, I'd say it's a decent pickup. Diaz has some serious power potential but not many positional options.

Looks like he's been lights out lately though. From my rough math, in his last 11 outings he has 11 K, 0 BB, and 0 ER, going back to mid-June. Doesn't walk people and doesn't put many people on base. Looks like the Marlins threw in a half-way decent pitching prospect as well.

For a prospect like Lewin Diaz, I'd say it's a decent pickup. Diaz has some serious power potential but not many positional options.

He is also moving to the AL. NL pitchers who are just ok scare me when they move to the AL. It's a whole different ballgame in the AL.

Twins lose to the White Sox. Indians won. Twins lead in the AL Central over the Indians down to 1 game.

Twins offense didn't do anything tonight.

Cleveland is on fire. They're not losing much at all these days.

Charley Walters: Higher payroll with more wins is ‘part of the deal’ for Twins’ Pohlad

With success will come cost. If the Twins continue to perform at their current pace, team payroll — now No. 20 among baseball’s 30 clubs — could increase dramatically.

That’s fine with ownership.

“I understand that — it’s all part of the deal,” owner Jim Pohlad said last week before the Yankees won two of three games at Target Field.

“I mean, that’s a positive thing. They (players) are worth it. That’s where we all want to get to. That’s where the players want to get to, that’s where the owners want to get to — paying for players who are really good and contributing. That’s what everybody wants.”

Jose Berrios, Byron Buxton, Eddie Rosario, Jake Odorizzi, Kyle Gibson, Taylor Rogers and Mitch Garver could warrant substantial contracts if they continue at their present pace. Jorge Polanco and Max Kepler signed team-friendly five-year extensions last winter.

Berrios, 25, who is 9-5 and pitching for $620,000 this season, said he would like a long-term contract but there are no new negotiations underway.

“I want it, but at the right time,” he said. “We’ll wait until the end of the season, put my numbers (statistics) out there and then we’ll talk about it.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/...re-wins-is-part-of-the-deal-for-twins-pohlad/

Win Twins!!

He is also moving to the AL. NL pitchers who are just ok scare me when they move to the AL. It's a whole different ballgame in the AL.

He pitched for Tampa the last two seasons, so Rocco knows what he is getting.

They can make more than one move. It's a nice addition. Some people are saying the pitching prospect they got in the deal is the real get here. Diaz was due to be on the 40 man next year. I'm not sure he would have ever gotten a shot with the Twins. I look at it as Romo just being the extra guy in this deal.

Twins are either going to have to dish out a lot of assets or get creative. Every team in contention has pitching issues. Lots of demand.

Twins are either going to have to dish out a lot of assets or get creative. Every team in contention has pitching issues. Lots of demand.

They have more/better assets than most buyers. Your offer just has to be better than the next guys. Stroman didn't bring that big of a haul from the Mets. They need a starter and another reliever. No excuses.

They have more/better assets than most buyers. Your offer just has to be better than the next guys. Stroman didn't bring that big of a haul from the Mets. They need a starter and another reliever. No excuses.
Two of the Mets top ten prospects.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think I saw a post that the Mets gave up their #3 and #6 prospects for Stroman - but neither one was among the top 100 prospects overall. The Twins have 5 prospects in the top 100 - Lewis, Kiriloff, Graterol, Larnach and Balazovic. So the Twins have the ammunition. Also saw a couple of people claiming the Mets want "MLB" level talent for Syndergaard - prompting some to start the "trade Sano" routine.

Twins need another solid bullpen arm if they want to feel good about making the playoffs. I think they can limp in with their current starting rotation but need a starter if they want to be serious about possibly winning a series.

Two of the Mets top ten prospects.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All relative. The Mets farm system isn't at the Twins level. They could have gotten him without giving up any of their top 3 guys. I'm OK if they don't want to pay the freight on Syndergaard. But something like Robby Ray and Ian Kennedy would be good.

Last edited:

I think I saw a post that the Mets gave up their #3 and #6 prospects for Stroman - but neither one was among the top 100 prospects overall. The Twins have 5 prospects in the top 100 - Lewis, Kiriloff, Graterol, Larnach and Balazovic. So the Twins have the ammunition. Also saw a couple of people claiming the Mets want "MLB" level talent for Syndergaard - prompting some to start the "trade Sano" routine.

I've been jumping back and forth over that fence. Ultimately, I think you would lose the clubhouse if you trade Sano in the middle of a pennant race, even if it was for Syndergaard. I would trade him in the off-season though. He can't play 3B past this year, IMO. He has ~14 errors in a little over 2 months. So one of Sano, Cruz or Cron would have to go from the 1B/DH spots.

Twins need another solid bullpen arm if they want to feel good about making the playoffs. I think they can limp in with their current starting rotation but need a starter if they want to be serious about possibly winning a series.

Agreed. I really can't see Odo or Gibson making a start at Yankee stadium and getting through 5 innings. I would honestly start Pineda in game 2 if he's still available at that point, which is unlikely.

I've been jumping back and forth over that fence. Ultimately, I think you would lose the clubhouse if you trade Sano in the middle of a pennant race, even if it was for Syndergaard. I would trade him in the off-season though. He can't play 3B past this year, IMO. He has ~14 errors in a little over 2 months. So one of Sano, Cruz or Cron would have to go from the 1B/DH spots.

Sano is the one definite who should stay of those three. Cruz would be my choice as second and Cron would be the one on his way out next year. Don't believe trading Sano would be in the best interest of the team now or the next couple of years. .

Sano is the one definite who should stay of those three. Cruz would be my choice as second and Cron would be the one on his way out next year. Don't believe trading Sano would be in the best interest of the team now or the next couple of years. .

We only have control of Sano for two more years and I can't see signing him to a long-term extension at this point. He could have significant trade value. Cron and Cruz will not.

We only have control of Sano for two more years and I can't see signing him to a long-term extension at this point. He could have significant trade value. Cron and Cruz will not.

They dont want Cruz or Cron.

Cant believe the Mets asked for Buxton.

I really want Thor, but I think youre dealing with a volatile Mets front office

I still expect them to get a starter, but it will be off the radar

I'd love it if Caleb Smith switched dugouts this series.

Agreed. I really can't see Odo or Gibson making a start at Yankee stadium and getting through 5 innings. I would honestly start Pineda in game 2 if he's still available at that point, which is unlikely.

I think we can, and have to, rely on Odo for one start. I like the thought of Pineda starting a game just based on the fact that I think he has the most potential of the next 3 to just shut a team down. He has the ability to strike out 14 guys in a start. However, if my memory serves me, Gibby has some decent starts against NY over the years. Maybe we win a few 10-9 games?

Yeah. I wasn't referencing the Mets. I meant trading Sano in the off-season. If the Mets think it's Lewis and Buxton for Thor, hang up the phone and block the #.

They could get someone cheap like Mike Leake from Seattle and shut down Pineda for a month so save his innings for the play-offs.

Last edited:

I think we can, and have to, rely on Odo for one start. I like the thought of Pineda starting a game just based on the fact that I think he has the most potential of the next 3 to just shut a team down. He has the ability to strike out 14 guys in a start. However, if my memory serves me, Gibby has some decent starts against NY over the years. Maybe we win a few 10-9 games?

I trust Gibby over Odo at this point. It was a fun 2 month mirage, but Odo is who he is. Gibby is more consistent.

Top Bottom