2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Dozier/Plouffe/Kepler at Yankee stadium in 2016.

Huh would have thought it would have been longer than that since we are usually lower in HRs. Wish I would have been at the game rather than watching on gamecast at work...

I couldn't believe this so I just pulled up the gamecast and he isn't listed as a starter. That seems insanely stupid and that it will make a lot of fans mad. I know a few people that bought the la tortuga package and they were legit going just because they love that guy. Now they don't even get to see him play.

They sold out of t-shirt/ticket packages. 3000 of them. I know he's started in the field at 4 positions, and yeah, he's a righty, but so is the catcher. I wouldn't want to be a Twins employee tonight.

Astudillo to 10 day DL with a pulled hamstring tagging up today. Assume Cave will be back.

How is Duffy not out of options? He's been up and down since 2015.

It only counts as an option if you're sent down after having been up for the first time ever. He made his debut in 2015 and finished the year with the big club, so that's not an option. He spent the full year with the Twins in 2017, so that's also not an option. You get three options, and he was sent down in 2016, 2018, and 2019. He can be sent up and down as many times this season as the Twins want without being exposed to waivers, but he's out of options starting in 2020.

It only counts as an option if you're sent down after having been up for the first time ever. He made his debut in 2015 and finished the year with the big club, so that's not an option. He spent the full year with the Twins in 2017, so that's also not an option. You get three options, and he was sent down in 2016, 2018, and 2019. He can be sent up and down as many times this season as the Twins want without being exposed to waivers, but he's out of options starting in 2020.

I recall him being sent back down immediately after his first start in 2015. His game logs show 10 days in between 1st and second appearance but I could be wrong.

I recall him being sent back down immediately after his first start in 2015. His game logs show 10 days in between 1st and second appearance but I could be wrong.

You're right, actually. He pitched one game for the Red Wings on August 11 before coming back up and finishing out with the Twins. I don't know what to tell you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions#Options

Could it be one of these two?

A player is considered to have used one of those three option years when he spends at least 20 days in the minors in any of those 3 seasons.

an assignment of a player on a major-league disabled list to the minors while on a rehabilitation assignment does not count as time spent in the minors

Twins sweeo the Orioles. They have a 4 game series with Houston coming up. Then oh boy a 3 game series with the oh boy the New York Yankees in the Bronx. I see the Yankees sweeping the Twins.

Twins sweeo the Orioles. They have a 4 game series with Houston coming up. Then oh boy a 3 game series with the oh boy the New York Yankees in the Bronx. I see the Yankees sweeping the Twins.

I'm not sure what the records have been in more recent seasons, but the Twins seem to do well against the Orioles and, surprisingly, the Red Sox. They have been terrible against the rest of that division, and especially the Yankees.

Great pitching tonight from the Twins with a nice 1-0 win over Verlander.

Win Twins!!

I've not been an Odorizzi fan, but that was his best start as a Twin considering the opponent.

I've not been an Odorizzi fan, but that was his best start as a Twin considering the opponent.
A rare game where I saw the entire thing. He was terrific. He was pulled after only 85 pitches. But it could have been because he left two breaking balls up in the center of the zone in the 7th that weren't taken advantage of. Baldie might have noticed and figured the next one is going about 450 feet. Outside of that, he was lights out.

A rare game where I saw the entire thing. He was terrific. He was pulled after only 85 pitches. But it could have been because he left two breaking balls up in the center of the zone in the 7th that weren't taken advantage of. Baldie might have noticed and figured the next one is going about 450 feet. Outside of that, he was lights out.

I would have taken him out too. You had a rested Taylor Rodgers available and there was no sense pressing your luck.

I might be buying Odorizzi stock.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I might be buying Odorizzi stock.

Eggs Odorizzi has good stuff. If he can throw strikes he can be really good.

Sid: Manager Rocco Baldelli has Twins off to historic start

What an incredible start to the season for the Minnesota Twins and new manager Rocco Baldelli.

A dominant 6-2 win over the Astros on Wednesday moved their record to 18-10 through 28 games, matching their fourth-best start since the team moved here from Washington in 1961 and the best in the American League.

It also means that on Thursday, with staff ace Jose Berrios on the mound, the Twins will have a chance to win the season series over Houston, the 2017 World Series champs and one of the best teams in baseball.

For Baldelli, he tied the second-best start for a Twins manager in his first year at the helm of the franchise, bested only by Billy Martin, who went 19-9 in 1969 and matched by Bill Rigney in 1970.

Including Baldelli this year, the Twins have had 14 seasons with a first-year manager, and somewhat surprisingly 10 of those managers had a winning record through 28 games.

http://www.startribune.com/manager-rocco-baldelli-has-twins-off-to-historic-start/509355012/

Win Twins!!

ESPN: From A-plus to, wait, F-minus!? First-month grades for all 30 teams

Minnesota Twins: A

Best storyline: Dingers! The Twins homered 49 times in their first 25 games and led the majors in home-run rate and at-bats per home run through Sunday. They look like a lock to beat the franchise record for home runs of 225, set in 1963 -- the longest-standing team home run record. They've taken advantage of a soft schedule -- they're 10-0 against the Orioles, Royals and Tigers -- but that's the path to a division title. Beat up on the weaklings of the AL and hold your own against everyone else.

Mulligan: Everyone applauded the Marwin Gonzalez signing, but he has been helpless at the plate. Miguel Sano isn't expected to return until late May, but Gonzalez's struggles have opened the door for Sano to get a chance at third base.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26636376/from-plus-wait-f-minus-first-month-grades-all-30-teams

Win Twins!!

Castro having the game of his career

This line-up is so good that Rosario is 0 for his last 24 and you don't really notice.

Sano 4-4 with a HR in rehab game in Class A. Moving up to AA for next game. Could potentially be back with the Twins by end of next week.

Imagining a batting order of Kepler - Polanco - Cruz - Rosario - Cron - Schoop - Sano - Castro/Garver - Buxton.

Use Gonzalez to give guys a day off here and there.

When was the last time the Twins had the best record in baseball in May?

Sid: Twins pitching staff is quieting doubters

In all of my recent years covering the Twins, it’s hard to remember a performance that was so dominant and surprising as what their starting pitchers did this week in three of the four games against the Astros.

The question coming into this season was whether or not Wes Johnson was going to be the guy to turn this pitching staff around. Coming from the University of Arkansas, he was the first college coach to ever make the leap to pitching coach in the major leagues.

More than a month into the season, the answer seems to be yes, and the pitching staff’s performance against the mighty Astros this week was great.

In the series opener Monday, Jake Odorizzi threw seven shutout innings, giving up four hits and one walk while striking out seven to win a pitcher’s duel against Justin Verlander.

On Tuesday Houston rolled 11-0 in a game where Michael Pineda really struggled, but it was the Twins’ lone poor performance.

Wednesday saw left*hander Martin Perez lower his ERA a full run from 4.44 to 3.41 after he threw eight shutout innings while striking out seven and giving up only four hits.

And Thursday, All-Star Jose Berrios did what he has done all season, throwing seven innings and giving up two runs on seven hits with five strikeouts and needing only 88 pitches to do it.

For Johnson, this kind of series, against one of the best teams in baseball, was a big first step in a long season.

He broke down what he saw from the three winning pitchers.

“I would start off with Jake Odorizzi, this guy was really good,” Johnson said. “He has had a phenomenal offseason and just came in and really executed his plan.

“What Martin did [Wednesday] night and how hard he has worked since spring training, since the day he showed up here, you’re starting to see he’s starting to get real comfortable with his pitch mix. The cutter is really, really playing well for him now.

“Then gosh, today, I mean Jose works hard all the time. We almost have to get him not to work hard. ‘Hey, take a day off, it’s OK.’ He is prepared, the way he prepares not only physically but mentally, I can speak to for probably hours. But he really commanded his fastball today and we didn’t even really have to go to the breaking ball much, which is unusual for him.”

Was he surprised to see the team win three out of four?

“You always expect that, we prepare and play to win,” Johnson said. “You hope if you go out and put forth your best game that you come out on the winning side. With that being said, [the Astros] are a really quality club. I was pleased we threw the ball well and give our offense a ton of credit. I mean, these guys can really hit.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-pitching-staff-is-quieting-doubters/509409212/

Win Twins!!

STrib: Twins' Miguel Sano ready to take next step in rehab assignment

Miguel Sano celebrated his next step toward a return to the major leagues in the best way possible.

Sano went 4-for-4 on Thursday, including a two-run homer, in Class A Fort Myers’ 4-3 walkoff victory over Clearwater. Then he packed his bags for Class AA Pensacola, where the 2017 All-Star is expected to play this weekend.

Sano, rehabbing from a severely lacerated right heel he suffered in January, is now on a timetable that the Twins hope brings him to Target Field in about 10 days, with May 12 the target date, according to a source with knowledge of the team’s plans. His promotion to Pensacola is expected to be announced Friday, and if all goes well, he could be playing with Class AAA Rochester sometime early next week.

Sano has been in Fort Myers since mid-April, completing his own “spring training” regimen to restore his physical shape and ready himself for playing on a daily basis. His formal rehab assignment began Tuesday for the Miracle, and he went 0-for-1 with a walk and a hit-by-pitch.

After Wednesday’s game was rained out, Sano pounded Clearwater pitching on Thursday for three singles, a home run and three RBI, with 2017 No. 1 overall pick Royce Lewis scoring ahead of him on the home run, and 2019 first-round pick Trevor Larnach singling home the winning run in the bottom of the seventh (and final) inning.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-miguel-sano-ready-to-take-next-step-in-rehab-assignment/509405481/

Win Twins!!

Now imagine if they added Kuechel to the rotation....

Top Bottom