2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Actually yeah....you do. All the time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dude STFU and let us just have a fun sports thread.

The twins clinched the division for the first time since what 2010? And you are really going to come here and start this petty crap?

Drink a cold beer.

FWIW - in 1987 after the Twins Clinched a playoff spot, they went 0-5 the rest of the regular season.

Dude STFU and let us just have a fun sports thread.

The twins clinched the division for the first time since what 2010? And you are really going to come here and start this petty crap?

Drink a cold beer.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....chill out.

LOL, he did have a good game. I personally don't know if he makes the roster and it's not my decision but if it were I'd have him on the roster. I've heard over and over the positive impact he has on the team. Rocco likes a loose locker room and I think he provides that.

Even if he doesn't make the initial postseason roster, he'll still be with the team (along with a few other players) in case a catcher goes down. If someone gets hurt in the middle of a series, you can replace them right away. However I believe the player that got hurt has to sit out the rest of that series and the next one.

Lost in all this: with their series loss to the White Sox (!), the Indians are in deep poop. 2 games behind the Rays and 3 back of the A's with three games to go.

Saw on twitter yesterday that if the Twins win one more, four teams will have 100+ wins for the first time ever. There are also four teams with 100+ losses. I wonder if that is a record as well.

Looking at the weather, the Twins might only have one game left. Sunday might be the only game for this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw on twitter yesterday that if the Twins win one more, four teams will have 100+ wins for the first time ever. There are also four teams with 100+ losses. I wonder if that is a record as well.

I've been thinking about this: hell of a time to try and compete for a championship, with all the super teams in MLB. The Dodgers and Astros are practically in their own league. The Yankees would easily be good enough to win it all, except that they'll have to play veritable all-star teams in both the ALSC and WS if the bracket goes chalk. You're going to have a team--the Indians--win mid 90s games and miss the postseason altogether. The Cubs are actually really, really good but have been bitten by the unbalanced schedule and some close losses.

I've been thinking about this: hell of a time to try and compete for a championship, with all the super teams in MLB. The Dodgers and Astros are practically in their own league. The Yankees would easily be good enough to win it all, except that they'll have to play veritable all-star teams in both the ALSC and WS if the bracket goes chalk. You're going to have a team--the Indians--win mid 90s games and miss the postseason altogether. The Cubs are actually really, really good but have been bitten by the unbalanced schedule and some close losses.

I'll be shocked if Astros and Dodgers dont make WS.

I'll also be shocked if Twins /Yankees isnt a slug fest. Both teams are eerily similar. Awful SP, good BP (crazy we can say that about twins), and power lineup. Not sure who has a worse rotation.

Looking at the weather, the Twins might only have one game left. Sunday might be the only game for this series.

That would suck. I don't really want Berrios going into game 1 not having pitched in two weeks.

I'll be shocked if Astros and Dodgers dont make WS.

I'll also be shocked if Twins /Yankees isnt a slug fest. Both teams are eerily similar. Awful SP, good BP (crazy we can say that about twins), and power lineup. Not sure who has a worse rotation.

I have to take back my awful SP comment about yankees. That is not true. They have pitched well lately. That being said, I dont think they will give the twins a ton of problems. Still predicting slug fest

Boy....that would be the pits with a 100 win season and a team home run record in sight. Tonight's game certainly looks in doubt based on the forecast....but tomorrow nights game seems much more plausible....especially since the thunderstorm likelihood percentage is all over the board during the day.

I wonder if they would consider a Sunday doubleheader. I mean....it's far from a meaningless game.

I may have to start hating the Astros. Not sure the Dodgers can handle them. Having Verlander is such a huge advantage in the post season.

Verlander's career World Series numbers: 0-4 with a 5.67 ERA. His numbers in the Division and LCS rounds are outstanding. The NL Champ has gotten to him almost every time.

Boy....that would be the pits with a 100 win season and a team home run record in sight. Tonight's game certainly looks in doubt based on the forecast....but tomorrow nights game seems much more plausible....especially since the thunderstorm likelihood percentage is all over the board during the day.

I wonder if they would consider a Sunday doubleheader. I mean....it's far from a meaningless game.

They actually moved tomorrow’s game to an afternoon start now.

Verlander's career World Series numbers: 0-4 with a 5.67 ERA. His numbers in the Division and LCS rounds are outstanding. The NL Champ has gotten to him almost every time.

I seem to remember him dominating my Dodgers a few years ago. Was it that year or last that MLB switched the balls on the pitchers?

Well.....Twins are up 6-1 going into the bottom of the 3rd. Sano and Lamarre have both hit home runs so far. Yankees are in the 4th and have hit 3 solo home runs so far. :(

Twins still have a one home run lead.

Well.....Twins are up 6-1 going into the bottom of the 3rd. Sano and Lamarre have both hit home runs so far. Yankees are in the 4th and have hit 3 solo home runs so far. :(

Twins still have a one home run lead.

Yankees have 4 dingers now.
Tied on the season.

5 dingers now for the Yanks.
4 solos and a 2-run

We are down by one on the season.

Now 6 dingers for NYY.

Last edited:

Yankees have 4 dingers now.
Tied on the season.

5 dingers now for the Yanks.
4 solos and a 2-run

We are down by one on the season.

Now 6 dingers for NYY.

The Rangers threw a sacrificial lamb out on the mound. Those cowards. I'd be very surprised to see the Twins somehow retake the lead now.

The Rangers threw a sacrificial lamb out on the mound. Those cowards. I'd be very surprised to see the Twins somehow retake the lead now.

And in that little band box of a stadium, too. Between that and New York playing Baltimore 19 times (I think they hit 61 of their homers against the O's)...

As cool as it would be to see the Twins get the homerun record, it would be pretty meaningless to try to compare to past teams if the baseballs have indeed been altered. I can't think of a better explanation as to why so many teams and players are suddenly hitting many more homeruns. It doesn't make sense to me to say that altered baseball records count more than steroid era records.

per Sid:

JOTTINGS

• The Twins had the second-largest attendance increase in Major League Baseball in 2019, trailing only the Phillies. They gained 334,955 fans compared to their 2018 totals, a difference of 4,135 fans per game. They finished the season with 2,294,152 fans, the 10th-highest total in franchise history.

http://www.startribune.com/ex-gms-t...d-a-hand-in-building-twins-success/561651922/

Win Twins!!

As cool as it would be to see the Twins get the homerun record, it would be pretty meaningless to try to compare to past teams if the baseballs have indeed been altered. I can't think of a better explanation as to why so many teams and players are suddenly hitting many more homeruns. It doesn't make sense to me to say that altered baseball records count more than steroid era records.

This has been discussed here before. There certainly are things different with the baseballs. But people struggle to grasp that the age of hitting for average is over. The Mauer type players are not as valuable. The piranhas are dead. Players are changing the way they swing...emphasizing power and optimal flight angles. There's a reason why strikeouts have also been at all time highs.

And the home run record isn't dead....incredibly. The Twins only got one today thanks to Cruz....but the Yankees amazingly netted zero! So the Twins will have a shot tomorrow. And the Royals are tossing out some Jorge Lopez guy with a 6.35 ERA....while the Yankees will be going up against one of the Rangers better starter in Lance Lynn (3.76 ERA).

This has been discussed here before. There certainly are things different with the baseballs. But people struggle to grasp that the age of hitting for average is over. The Mauer type players are not as valuable. The piranhas are dead. Players are changing the way they swing...emphasizing power and optimal flight angles. There's a reason why strikeouts have also been at all time highs.

And the home run record isn't dead....incredibly. The Twins only got one today thanks to Cruz....but the Yankees amazingly netted zero! So the Twins will have a shot tomorrow. And the Royals are tossing out some Jorge Lopez guy with a 6.35 ERA....while the Yankees will be going up against one of the Rangers better starter in Lance Lynn (3.76 ERA).

That said, on-base percentage is a darling of the stats guys, which is why Mauer was considered so valuable by them. The model is, get some guys on base and jack a 3-run dong. Which is not altogether different than the Earl Weaver method TBH.

If I'm correct, we are 1 home run behind coming into today.

305 to 304

Castro hits a home run in the fifth to put the Twins back up by one!

Yankees game just finished up. They couldn't manage another home run. So not only did the Twins end up with a 100 win season.....they also set the team home run record for a season with 307!!!

Top Bottom