2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

$50 million seems high unless we're going to have a $150 payroll (certainly could, but I'd be surprised).

Again, with some estimations with arbitration costs involved we're only looking at about 65-75 mil on the books next year. Assuming one of our starters is either Thorpe or Smeltzer we can likely put in some offers on a decent starter or decent reliever.

per Axios:

By the numbers: After being out-homered by their opponents in 26 of the past 27 seasons, the Twins obliterated the single-season HR record this year (tied with the Yankees for the major league lead with 299).

Win Twins!!

Again, with some estimations with arbitration costs involved we're only looking at about 65-75 mil on the books next year. Assuming one of our starters is either Thorpe or Smeltzer we can likely put in some offers on a decent starter or decent reliever.

I'd be interested to see the detail. I agree that it's around $65 million when you remove all the expiring contracts, it just seems like the arbitration/increases will bring it back closer to $90 million than $75 million. I could be wrong.

It's worth noting that the Twins and Yankess are tied at 299 home runs. Twins have 4 games left; the Yanks have 3. Assuming the Twins' post-clinch lineup gets no-hit today (JK), it's three games apiece to claim the record.

I'd be interested to see the detail. I agree that it's around $65 million when you remove all the expiring contracts, it just seems like the arbitration/increases will bring it back closer to $90 million than $75 million. I could be wrong.

You could be right on that too. We obviously will be increasing off of that $65 million...still good to see us in relatively decent financial shape going into the offseason AND not losing a ton of contributing players.

It's just too bad that we have to fire Falvey and Levine after the season because they didn't trade for a starter at the deadline. Right, Howie?

The Twins clinch a play-off spot and you come here to post this. It must be fun being you.

Says the poster who has prematurely called "ballgame" in all three of our football game threads so far this year? Not to mention in a decent number of basketball game threads last year?

Shut up, howie.

It's worth noting that the Twins and Yankess are tied at 299 home runs. Twins have 4 games left; the Yanks have 3. Assuming the Twins' post-clinch lineup gets no-hit today (JK), it's three games apiece to claim the record.

Why it kind of sucks to see the lineup for today's game. Twins have a chance to set an MLB record. Don't mail it in and let the Yankees claim it.

Says the poster who has prematurely called "ballgame" in all three of our football game threads so far this year? Not to mention in a decent number of basketball game threads last year?

Shut up, howie.

Actually no. But I don't care to derail this thread. Feel free to put me on ignore.

Your post-clinching starting lineup:

This lineup has scored 8 runs already today. It would be cool to get to 100 wins.

After Sunday the Twins won't play again until next Friday so that helps guys like Gonzalez and Kepler get extra rest. At the same time it would be nice to get them a few at-bats over the weekend.

I get that the Twins will rest much of the starters over the remaining games, but I really hope they understand how amazing it is to reach 100 wins. Very difficult to do, and the Twins haven't done it in my lifetime. Looks like they're going to win today, so we need one more win against KC.

I get that the Twins will rest much of the starters over the remaining games, but I really hope they understand how amazing it is to reach 100 wins. Very difficult to do, and the Twins haven't done it in my lifetime. Looks like they're going to win today, so we need one more win against KC.

I feel like they'll still get guys some action. I can see the main guys starting the remaining games and then subbing some out in the later innings. Like I mentioned in my previous post, their first playoff game won't be until Friday so you don't want to give them too much time off.

This lineup has scored 8 runs already today. It would be cool to get to 100 wins.

After Sunday the Twins won't play again until next Friday so that helps guys like Gonzalez and Kepler get extra rest. At the same time it would be nice to get them a few at-bats over the weekend.

It would especially good to get Kepler in a game. I can't imagine you'd want to take your 1st AB in 3 weeks leading off game 1.

I feel like they'll still get guys some action. I can see the main guys starting the remaining games and then subbing some out in the later innings. Like I mentioned in my previous post, their first playoff game won't be until Friday so you don't want to give them too much time off.

They're starting Berrios tomorrow, so I suspect most regulars will play and then sit Saturday and Sunday.

I bet they will have like half their starters play tomorrow, most on Saturday, then barely any again Sunday

It would especially good to get Kepler in a game. I can't imagine you'd want to take your 1st AB in 3 weeks leading off game 1.

He needs to at least get some pinch hit at bats. Or start a game and get him a couple and take him out a couple times.

As far as pushing for 100 wins, as cool as it would be and historic as it would be I just want them to do whatever they need to do to get healthy and prepare for the playoffs.

With that said... I'm greedy and want the HR record over the yankees, so if they could just tell their players to swing only for the fences thatwould be great! ;)

Hopefully Perez can be Straker like.

I hope Perez is not starting any games. I'd go Odo, Berrios, Dobnak, Bullpen game started by Smeltzer.

Also, IIRC, Straker didn't do much. He started the only game they lost against Detroit, lost game 3 of the World Series and we won game 6 by coming back late I think.

He needs to at least get some pinch hit at bats. Or start a game and get him a couple and take him out a couple times.

As far as pushing for 100 wins, as cool as it would be and historic as it would be I just want them to do whatever they need to do to get healthy and prepare for the playoffs.

With that said... I'm greedy and want the HR record over the yankees, so if they could just tell their players to swing only for the fences that would be great! ;)

Absolutely!

The 2 today will help. I think it was 2 i couldn't pay close attention.

Two bomba lead, but... New York gets Texas, and their park is small. The plot thickens! Should be a fun story to follow. In any case, nobody can ever take away from the Twins that they were the first team ever to break the 300 threshold.

One more thing: I watched the celebration last night, and it was sort of raucous but pretty subdued compared to others I've seen. Post-celebration locker room interviews: not much slurring of words. I don't think this is going to be the week-long hangover--either emotionally or physically--that the Twins suffered in 2006 on their way to being swept by the A's. Their depleted squad may or may not be able to give the Yanks a series, but my guess is that they're not going to come out flat. Hope I'm right.

I hope Perez is not starting any games. I'd go Odo, Berrios, Dobnak, Bullpen game started by Smeltzer.

Also, IIRC, Straker didn't do much. He started the only game they lost against Detroit, lost game 3 of the World Series and we won game 6 by coming back late I think.

Straker threw 6 shutout innings in game 3 before giving way to Berenguer, who gave up 3 and took the loss.

Of course Astudillo had 4 hits including a HR today making me look really stupid.

LOL, he did have a good game. I personally don't know if he makes the roster and it's not my decision but if it were I'd have him on the roster. I've heard over and over the positive impact he has on the team. Rocco likes a loose locker room and I think he provides that.

Top Bottom