2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I would trade Sano now. His stock may never be higher. This may turn out to be his healthiest season (pending a long play off run I'm counting on) and he's only played 2/3 of it...

I think they will get more production out of him than what they would get in return in a trade. My guess is most people see him as a 1B/DH long term and that might eliminate most of the NL teams.

I think they will get more production out of him than what they would get in return in a trade. My guess is most people see him as a 1B/DH long term and that might eliminate most of the NL teams.

All I'm saying is he's young and never healthy. I don't see him miraculously playing full seasons at an older age. Even as a DH I still see him being hurt a lot of the time. Right now this is the highest his stock has ever been, and may ever be. It's just a gamble.

Ned Yost just announced he's retiring after the year. I want no part of the Twins needing to win even one game in KC this weekend. That team is pesky and resilient to start with, now they have incentive to send him out on a good note. Just sweep the Tigers and be done with it.

I wouldn't trade now that he seems to have figured things out. Plus, he is actually o.k. at 3rd. I agree that we wouldn't get as much in return.

I would trade Sano now. His stock may never be higher. This may turn out to be his healthiest season (pending a long play off run I'm counting on) and he's only played 2/3 of it...

I would too for the right price. But my price would be very high. I think Rosario and possibly Buxton make more sense. I don't see trading more than one out of the 3.

Last edited:

Ned Yost just announced he's retiring after the year. I want no part of the Twins needing to win even one game in KC this weekend. That team is pesky and resilient to start with, now they have incentive to send him out on a good note. Just sweep the Tigers and be done with it.

Gardy might do the same by tomorrow....

I wouldn't trade now that he seems to have figured things out. Plus, he is actually o.k. at 3rd. I agree that we wouldn't get as much in return.

He's not really OK at 3rd. He's one of the worst defensive 3B in the league. They almost have to non-tender Cron and move him to 1B if he's not traded since picking up Cruz's option is a given.

I would too for the right price. But my price would be very high. I think Rosario and possibly Buxton make more sense. I don't see trading more than one out of the 3.

Why do any of them need to be traded? Rosario and Sanó are both under team control for 2 more years, and Buxton is for 3 more years. Trading away your best young players (who are also cheap) is generally not a formula for winning baseball.

Why do any of them need to be traded? Rosario and Sanó are both under team control for 2 more years, and Buxton is for 3 more years. Trading away your best young players (who are also cheap) is generally not a formula for winning baseball.

None of them "need" to be traded. But they have one starting pitcher set for next year and filling out the rest of the rotation all through free agency would be tough as they don't have as much payroll flexibility as they did. None of them will be "cheap" anymore, especially not Sano or Rosario. They will likely both make $7 million + and have 2 years of control left. It makes sense to move one of them if you can get starting pitching back. Especially Rosario since Kierloff is probably close to ready and Gonzalez/Cave can hold it down until he is.

Last edited:

I agree. Keep the core intact. Will likely need a first baseman, back-up catcher, and starting pitching.

None of them "need" to be traded. But they have one starting pitcher set for next year and filling out the rest of the rotation all through free agency would be tough as they don't have as much payroll flexibility as they did. None of them will be "cheap" anymore, especially not Sano or Rosario. They will likely both make $7 million + and have 2 years of control left. It makes sense to move one of them if you can get starting pitching back. Especially Rosario since Kierloff is probably close to ready and Gonzalez/Cave can hold it down until he is.

Agreed all around.

Are we going to sign 4 free agent starting pitchers?

No...they would definitely need to find a couple in-house options. Graterol/Stashak/Thorpe/Romero/Smeltzer/Dobnak/Stewart come to mind. None of those are top of the line starters, I acknowledge.

I really like Marwin in the role he had this year. I wouldn't make him an everyday outfielder. They likely won't sign Schoop or Cron this winter. Gibson and Perez won't be back. Try to keep Odorizzi and sign two free agent starters. I think they have more payroll flexibility than Howie cites.

They do have some money coming off the books.....Addison Reed 8.5 million, Gibson 8.125 million, Pineda 8.0 million, Schoop 7.5 million, Cron 4.8 million, Perez 3.5 million.

Last edited:

No...they would definitely need to find a couple in-house options. Graterol/Stashak/Thorpe/Romero/Smeltzer/Dobnak/Stewart come to mind. None of those are top of the line starters, I acknowledge.

I really like Marwin in the role he had this year. I wouldn't make him an everyday outfielder. They likely won't sign Schoop or Cron this winter. Gibson and Perez won't be back. Try to keep Odorizzi and sign two free agent starters. I think they have more payroll flexibility than Howie cites.

They do have some money coming off the books.....Addison Reed 8.5 million, Gibson 8.125 million, Pineda 8.0 million, Schoop 7.5 million, Cron 4.8 million, Perez 3.5 million.

Do you think Wes Johnson is earning his keep :confused:

Personally I think they should try and get Pineda back cheap...got caught on diet medication that can be used to mask juice not necessarily juicing so I don't see the problem there...he won't be back until later in May, but have a minor league guy start a few in his spot and get him back for 4 months at maybe 5 mil

Also, agree on the trading Rosario...kiriloff will likely be called up at some point next year...trade him in the offseason along with some prospects for a decent starter

Their current payroll is ~$120 million. Assuming they pick up the option on Cruz (no-brainer), keep CJ Cron (he's not a FA), non-tender Dyson (damaged goods) and let everyone else leave (Castro, Schoop, Odorizzi, Gibson Pineda, Perez, Romo) they will have a payroll of ~$100 million before signing any FA's. About $35 million is coming off the books, but there will be large arbitration increases for Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Berrios and Rogers. Also Kepler and Polanco have raises in their extensions.

One high-end starter or two 3/4 types will eat their entire available payroll. You can fill the 5th spot with one of Dobnak/Smeltzer/Thorpe. But I wouldn't count on filling multiple spots. That's why I'd try to sign one top tier starter (perhaps Odorizzi though I'd prefer someone better but Gerrit Cole is the only one that clearly is), trade for one (Rosario + prospects) and bring Pineda back as the #4 starter.

Last edited:

Pineda should be cheap and I would absolutely love re-signing him. They will have to hit the market for at least 1 more starter, hope to sign Odorizzi, then sure you could let it ride with new unproven young talent in the system or since you will have a great offense again (supposedly) you could trade a piece that is replaceable and get another quality starter and really go for a repeat of winning the division.

Their current payroll is ~$120 million. Assuming they pick up the option on Cruz (no-brainer), keep CJ Cron (he's not a FA), non-tender Dyson (damaged goods) and let everyone else leave (Castro, Schoop, Odorizzi, Gibson Pineda, Perez, Romo) they will have a payroll of ~$100 million before signing any FA's. About $35 million is coming off the books, but there will be large arbitration increases for Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Berrios and Rogers. Also Kepler and Polanco have raises in their extensions.

One high-end starter or two 3/4 types will eat their entire available payroll. You can fill the 5th spot with one of Dobnak/Smeltzer/Thorpe. But I wouldn't count on filling multiple spots. That's why I'd try to sign one top tier starter (perhaps Odorizzi though I'd prefer someone better but Gerrit Cole is the only one that clearly is), trade for one (Rosario + prospects) and bring Pineda back as the #4 starter.

Fair evaluation Howie. I would listen on Rosario but it wouldn't be my first choice (he is definitely my least favorite of all their core players). I don't know how close they think Kiriloff is to the majors. If the plan was to bring him up early next year then that might change my perception.

I'm assuming the Twins haven't made any declarations on the payroll next year. Obviously the Twins can spend what they want. Not sure what their "available payroll" number will look like next year.

Fair evaluation Howie. I would listen on Rosario but it wouldn't be my first choice (he is definitely my least favorite of all their core players). I don't know how close they think Kiriloff is to the majors. If the plan was to bring him up early next year then that might change my perception.

I'm assuming the Twins haven't made any declarations on the payroll next year. Obviously the Twins can spend what they want. Not sure what their "available payroll" number will look like next year.

I assume $130 million or so is the ceiling. That's what they had in 2018 but MLB had some one-time $$ from selling off part of their online media.

Rosario is talented but frustrating. His OBP is barely .300 even though he hits .280. He never takes walks and until yesterday had been swinging at everything in sight since the All-Star break. His defense has also lapsed. But he is clutch in a big moment. Since they have already locked up Kepler, I don't see them giving Rosario a long-term contract. If you can get value for him in a trade, you should IMO. I could see trading Buxton instead, but they don't really have an alternate CF option and Kepler playing there is not ideal. Plus you'd be trading him at his lowest value.

Last edited:

All I'm saying is he's young and never healthy. I don't see him miraculously playing full seasons at an older age. Even as a DH I still see him being hurt a lot of the time. Right now this is the highest his stock has ever been, and may ever be. It's just a gamble.

Other teams know this as well. That's why I don't think they'll get much, maybe like a 4th or 5th starter? Maybe I'm wrong and they'd get more for him.

I also wonder what the future is for Cron. Is he back next year? Kirilloff should be close to ready. Gonzalez/Sano could play 1B early on if he isn't ready at the beginning of the season. I also thought maybe Rooker would get a shot but it looks like he didn't play any 1B this season in the minors. Must have been really bad at 1B.

Other teams know this as well. That's why I don't think they'll get much, maybe like a 4th or 5th starter? Maybe I'm wrong and they'd get more for him.

I also wonder what the future is for Cron. Is he back next year? Kirilloff should be close to ready. Gonzalez/Sano could play 1B early on if he isn't ready at the beginning of the season. I also thought maybe Rooker would get a shot but it looks like he didn't play any 1B this season in the minors. Must have been really bad at 1B.

I was assuming they would play Kiriloff in OF, but he was close to 50/50 in the minors.

Cron isnt coming back. I know he's been hurt, but hes pretty limited against decent to good pitching

Here's my guess on the playoff roster

SP (4):
Berrios
Odorizzi
Dobnak
Smeltzer or Thorpe

RP (8):
Smeltzer or Thorpe
Littell
Stashak
Graterrol
Duffey
May
Romo
Rodgers

C (2):
Castro
Garver

DH (1):
Cruz

UT (4):
Adrianza
Astudillo
Arraez
Gonzalez

IF (3):
Polanco
Sano
Schoop

OF (3):
Cave
Kepler
Rosario

I put Astudillo on the roster instead of Wade because he can play catcher.

Here's my guess on the playoff roster

SP (4):
Berrios
Odorizzi
Dobnak
Smeltzer or Thorpe

RP (8):
Smeltzer or Thorpe
Littell
Stashak
Graterrol
Duffey
May
Romo
Rodgers

C (2):
Castro
Garver

DH (1):
Cruz

UT (4):
Adrianza
Astudillo
Arraez
Gonzalez

IF (3):
Polanco
Sano
Schoop

OF (3):
Cave
Kepler
Rosario

I'd put Cron on there in place of Schoop if Cron and Adrianza are healthy enough to play.

On pitching - one thing to consider.

The Twins might suddenly be a lot more attractive place for free agents to consider.

(Twins front office) "Ah, hey there Mr Free Agent Pitcher. How would you feel about playing for the team that set the MLB home-run record and scores a bazillion runs a game?"

I would target free-agent pitchers who got lower run support from their previous teams. throw out some analytics that show how Pitcher X would have won 5 more games with the Twins' offense behind him.

You should be able to sell that - assuming the money is comparable to other teams' offers.

On pitching - one thing to consider.

The Twins might suddenly be a lot more attractive place for free agents to consider.

(Twins front office) "Ah, hey there Mr Free Agent Pitcher. How would you feel about playing for the team that set the MLB home-run record and scores a bazillion runs a game?"

I would target free-agent pitchers who got lower run support from their previous teams. throw out some analytics that show how Pitcher X would have won 5 more games with the Twins' offense behind him.

You should be able to sell that - assuming the money is comparable to other teams' offers.

And despite our HR's Target Field is a pretty fair ballpark now that the concrete dried. :cool:

I'd put Wade on the team. I might even start him over Cave a few games. Great approach at the plate, gets on base a lot. I don't think Astudillo adds much value. Maybe pinch hit for Cave or Wade against a lefty? If a catcher gets hurt in the middle of a series, Astudillo can be added to the roster then. He could still be with the team, just couldn't play unless that happens.

I'd put Wade on the team. I might even start him over Cave a few games. Great approach at the plate, gets on base a lot. I don't think Astudillo adds much value. Maybe pinch hit for Cave or Wade against a lefty? If a catcher gets hurt in the middle of a series, Astudillo can be added to the roster then. He could still be with the team, just couldn't play unless that happens.

He has over and over been the spark to get the team going. His energy alone is a ton of value. I don't disagree with you on Wade vs cron though.

He has over and over been the spark to get the team going. His energy alone is a ton of value. I don't disagree with you on Wade vs cron though.

I'm not sure if you're right or not as I haven't noticed that but his numbers overall have been horrible since April. OPS well under .600 and just 4 extra base hits since then. If he wasn't a chubby, lovable character Twins fans would have been screaming for him to be cut a long time ago.

I'm not sure if you're right or not as I haven't noticed that but his numbers overall have been horrible since April. OPS well under .600 and just 4 extra base hits since then. If he wasn't a chubby, lovable character Twins fans would have been screaming for him to be cut a long time ago.

Agreed.....Cron (assuming he can grip the bat) and Schoop should be on the roster.

Top Bottom