2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

What's considered a high priced free agent? Cruz and Gonzalez were signed for a similar amount per year that Keuchel and Kimbrel were. Lance Lynn was considered a top 10 free agent last year.

Cruz certainly qualifies but it was a one year deal for a guy near 40, similar to Jim Thome. I'm referring more to big mutl-year deals like making a big push for Yu Darvish, but coming up short (probably for the best.) What's the biggest total FA contract the Twins have ever given to an external FA? Ricky Nolasco, IIRC. That's pretty underwhelming.

If you're going to run an MLB team you have to walk and chew gum. Falvey did a couple innings of TV with Bremer during the re-scheduled game. He's not dumb or an awkward public speaker, like say Zigi Wilf or Jim Pohlad. He just doesn't seem to care about these things. A simple statement that you're open-minded to all options but think the trade market will make more sense and the public expectations don't go to 100.

For a Muchado/Harper mega-deal you're right. Even in Kimbrel's case, we would probably have to pay more than the Cubs to get him. But for a deal like Kuechel's, it's all about this year. We're more likely to make the play-offs than Atlanta. He probably would have come here for equal or close to equal $.

I mean if they can't handle the PR stuff they could certainly hire a young attractive woman to do it for them and I'd be happy about that. I personally just don't care about their PR stuff because I think they are number guys, they are good at it and I want them to just focus on that.

I have no proof but I'd assume we'd have to pay more definitely in Kimbrels case because of the cubs but it's not like Atlanta is out of it, with our reputation I just think it would have been hard to sign either of those guys or any other of the top free agents even if we are willing to pay them more.

I mean if they can't handle the PR stuff they could certainly hire a young attractive woman to do it for them and I'd be happy about that. I personally just don't care about their PR stuff because I think they are number guys, they are good at it and I want them to just focus on that.

I have no proof but I'd assume we'd have to pay more definitely in Kimbrels case because of the cubs but it's not like Atlanta is out of it, with our reputation I just think it would have been hard to sign either of those guys or any other of the top free agents even if we are willing to pay them more.

I don't buy the FA's won't come here line with the Twins or Vikings. The Wolves maybe, because guys don't want to live here when it's -20. You might have to pay a premium in some cases, but it's not like the Twins are a historically terrible franchise or play in a dump (anymore.) If the Cardinals and Brewers can do it, so can the Twins.

Unless you count retaining Kirby Puckett, never.

I'm not talking about retaining players that were already here. I mean of the teams in town the vikes have done it, the wild have done it, the wolves kind of did it. I have to believe the Twins have tried but the players just don't want to play here. And honestly can you blame them? If you had 2 job offers and one company has consistently shown they invest in their employees and one has consistently shown tehy don't, where would you choose to work?

I don't buy the FA's won't come here line with the Twins or Vikings. The Wolves maybe, because guys don't want to live here when it's -20. You might have to pay a premium in some cases, but it's not like the Twins are a historically terrible franchise or play in a dump (anymore.) If the Cardinals and Brewers can do it, so can the Twins.

I'm not saying because they have been bad the last decade. I'm saying because they have the reputation of the "pohlad pocket protectors".

I'm not saying because they have been bad the last decade. I'm saying because they have the reputation of the "pohlad pocket protectors".

Terry Ryan had that rep. Falvey and Levine had payroll at $130 million least year, which was in the middle of the league. Currently $120 million which is like 17th. But if they'd signed either of these pitchers they'd have jumped to around 12th.

Cruz certainly qualifies but it was a one year deal for a guy near 40, similar to Jim Thome. I'm referring more to big mutl-year deals like making a big push for Yu Darvish, but coming up short (probably for the best.) What's the biggest total FA contract the Twins have ever given to an external FA? Ricky Nolasco, IIRC. That's pretty underwhelming.

Twins have a team option for Cruz in 2020. Ervin Santana was a bigger contract than Nolasco I think.

I think it's smart to not give these free agents big time money and terms. Because in most cases, the players never produce at a level even close to what they're getting paid. They're so risky. Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers can afford to take those risks much more than the Twins.

This is long overdue:

Twins send slumping fan favorite Willians Astudillo down to minors

Rosters full of relief pitchers long ago made it impossible for most teams to carry three catchers. Willians Astudillo managed to fend off that reality for more than two months.

But after Friday’s 6-3 victory over the Tigers, with a seven-man bullpen beginning to show signs of wear, the Twins finally decided that they needed the slump-ridden Astudillo’s roster spot. The popular catcher, who earlier in the evening struck out twice for the first time in his career, was informed he is being sent down to Class AAA Rochester.

Another player will join the Twins on Saturday, and all indications are that it will be an eighth reliever for the bullpen.

The 27-year-old Astudillo, whose unique ability to play nearly any position, and also to avoid strikeouts and walks — Friday’s two whiffs gave him eight for his career, in 205 at-bats — made him a valuable part of the bench, had slumped after returning from a strained left hamstring in mid-May.

The Venezuelan fan favorite, nicknamed “La Tortuga” for his hustling exploits on the bases, batted just .190 (12-for-63) in 17 games since being activated May 12. He went 0-for-4 Friday, when he played third base.

http://www.startribune.com/slumping-astudillo-sent-to-rochester/511001072/

Win Twins!!

This is long overdue:

Twins send slumping fan favorite Willians Astudillo down to minors

Rosters full of relief pitchers long ago made it impossible for most teams to carry three catchers. Willians Astudillo managed to fend off that reality for more than two months.

But after Friday’s 6-3 victory over the Tigers, with a seven-man bullpen beginning to show signs of wear, the Twins finally decided that they needed the slump-ridden Astudillo’s roster spot. The popular catcher, who earlier in the evening struck out twice for the first time in his career, was informed he is being sent down to Class AAA Rochester.

Another player will join the Twins on Saturday, and all indications are that it will be an eighth reliever for the bullpen.

The 27-year-old Astudillo, whose unique ability to play nearly any position, and also to avoid strikeouts and walks — Friday’s two whiffs gave him eight for his career, in 205 at-bats — made him a valuable part of the bench, had slumped after returning from a strained left hamstring in mid-May.

The Venezuelan fan favorite, nicknamed “La Tortuga” for his hustling exploits on the bases, batted just .190 (12-for-63) in 17 games since being activated May 12. He went 0-for-4 Friday, when he played third base.

http://www.startribune.com/slumping-astudillo-sent-to-rochester/511001072/

Win Twins!!

We all want La Tortuga on the squad. He's there for his hitting, but when he's not hitting, time to go. They just too much depth right now to give him at bats so he could work his way out of slump

We all want La Tortuga on the squad. He's there for his hitting, but when he's not hitting, time to go. They just too much depth right now to give him at bats so he could work his way out of slump
He’s quite versatile. And he was important when Garver went down. Having a capable 3rd catcher opens up lots of options for the manager. That earns him lots of extra rope.

Charley Walters: Joe Mauer happy to see Twins’ surge toward playoffs

During his 15 wonderful seasons with the Minnesota Twins, Joe Mauer played in just 10 playoff games, none with a victory.

Mauer certainly deserved to enjoy the postseason, but he retired after last year’s 78-84 record and no postseason. Already this year, the Twins have won more than half the games they won all last season and could be headed for a fun playoff run.

But no, Mauer said last week, he doesn’t regret not waiting a season or two more for a chance at baseball’s ultimate prize.

“Overall, no, but obviously it would have been nice to be where they’re at now at this time last year,” the three-time batting champion said. “But I made my decision, and I’m definitely happy about it. And I’m happy to see them doing well.”

Mauer, 36, said he’s not surprised at the Twins’ stunning success this season.

“Definitely not surprised — I played with a lot of these guys and I liked what they did,” he said “And with the signings of the guys who came in, those guys putting everything together, it’s fun to watch. It’s great.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/08/charley-walters-joe-mauer-mn-twins-surge-toward-playoffs/

Win Twins!!

per Shooter:

The Twins definitely will be in the trade market before baseball’s deadline on July 31. And there can be little doubt that the Twins are tuned into the buzz that the lowly Toronto Blue Jays could trade closer Ken Giles, 28.

Although prospects Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff and Brusdar Graterol probably are untouchable, the Twins still have tradeable resources: Nick Gordon, Stephen Gonsalves, Wander Javier, Trevor Larnach, Lewis Thorpe and Brent Rooker, who is an older version of the slugging outfielder the Twins just drafted, Matt Wallner from Forest Lake.

There’s also Miguel Sano, 26, whose future in Minnesota remains uncertain.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/08/charley-walters-joe-mauer-mn-twins-surge-toward-playoffs/

Win Twins!!

Not too shabby...

The Twins started what was a fairly brutal 10-game road trip with a 9.5 game lead on Cleveland and finished it off being 10.5 games up, with the road trip starting by getting thumped by Tampa 14-3. Let's hope they can take care of some business at home in the next week or so against a slightly weaker schedule.

RandBall: With Craig Kimbrel signed, here are 5 relievers Twins could target in trades

That said, here are five relievers the Twins could be able to pursue in order to bolster their bullpen for a push through the summer and into October:

Ken Giles, Blue Jays: He’s been lights-out for Toronto this season, sporting a sparkling 1.08 ERA while striking out an absurd 15.1 batters per nine innings. The righthander would be a nice complement to Taylor Rogers, and Toronto is already far enough out of contention that he should be available. Plus, he’s not a free agent until 2021 so if he pitches well he’d be more than a one-year rental.

Downside: Giles was a disaster for Houston in the 2017 playoffs, posting an 11.74 ERA even as the Astros won the World Series. And despite that, Giles will be in demand — so the asking price in terms of prospects could be high.

Kirby Yates, Padres: This might be the gold standard. Yates, a righthander, is No. 1 among all relievers this season in Win Probability Added, thanks to his 0.96 ERA and 15.4 strikeouts per nine innings. Like Giles, Yates is still under team control in 2020. He’s not a flash in the pan, either: he was dominant last season as well. The Twins have never won a World Series without a Kirby on their roster.

Downside: It’s unclear yet if the Padres will be in sell mode. They entered Monday with a .500 record, 3.5 games out of the second wild card spot. San Diego management has pointed toward next season as the year for true contention, but Yates could be part of that plan. If the Padres fade, though, being aggressive on Yates would be smart.

Felipe Vazquez, Pirates: He’s under contract through 2021 on a very team-friendly deal, and there are two years of team options beyond that. So this would be a move for 2019 and beyond. Vazquez is No. 8 in WPA and is striking out 14.2 batters per nine innings this season.

Downside: He’s a left-hander, and even though his career numbers against righties are quite good (.619 OPS, vs. .530 against lefties), maybe it makes more sense for the Twins go to after a righty to pair with Taylor Rogers? And he, too, would cost a significant prospect haul to pry away from Pittsburgh — a team hanging on the fringes of contention.

Will Smith, Giants: He’s allowed just 13 hits in 24.2 innings this season, continuing a trend from a very strong 2018. In both years, his strikeouts per nine innings number has been above 12. The Giants are way out of the playoff picture, so he should be available.

Downside: He’s another lefty, so it’s another philosophical question. And he’s an impending free agent, so this could be a rental — meaning he might not cost as many prospects but would only be a temporary solution.

Sergio Romo, Marlins: His overall ERA of 5.48 is not good, but it’s bloated because of two terrible outings: his first of the season and his most recent on Sunday, in which he gave up four earned runs both times. In his 21 other appearances, opponents are hitting just .195 against Romo and he’s posted a 2.49 ERA. The 36-year-old Romo also has plenty of playoff experience, posting a 3.09 ERA in 27 postseason appearances.

Downside: He figures to be available and might not require a blue-chip prospect in return. But while he would help the bullpen, he wouldn’t move the needle enough as a sole acquisition.

http://www.startribune.com/with-cra...evers-twins-could-target-in-trades/511082592/

Win Twins!!

What the heck happened to Fernando Romero? He looked so good in his first 4 or 5 starts last year but has struggled big time ever since. Got called up today and couldn't get anyone out.

What the heck happened to Fernando Romero? He looked so good in his first 4 or 5 starts last year but has struggled big time ever since. Got called up today and couldn't get anyone out.

It's still the same old story. Everyone says he has "great stuff." I don't give a rat's butt how good his stuff is. If he can't spot the fastball, or throw the breaking ball for a strike, sooner or later he's going to make a mistake, and a major league hitter is going to rip it.

He really hasn't even been that dominant in Triple-A. He'll have one good outing, and then a bad one. And, if you're not fairly consistent at Triple-A, you are going to get lit up in the majors. Plus, with today's technology, scouting and analytics, if you have a flaw, people find it out very quickly.

I am not saying Romero is a bust - but he clearly has work to do. hopefully he's not a head case like Sano, and will actually listen to the coaches. Speaking of Sano, if I was a manager or pitching coach for another team, I would tell my pitchers "don't give Sano a fastball. throw slop and junk 8" off the plate, and he'll swing at it."

He's young and inconsistent.

Not sure it's making him suck, but he's put on a few since last year. He still throws 98 but can't throw strikes. The Twins could have a decent bullpen if May/Romero/Duffy would just throw strikes.

Charley Walters: Low-key Rocco Baldelli has just the right touch for Twins

If you’ve been watching Rocco Baldelli, you probably haven’t seen him yell. About anything.

“I haven’t seen very much to yell about,” the first-year Twins manager said.

That’s his personality. He should have been a psychologist.

“Everyone handles things differently,” Baldelli said. “Whatever your personality is, that’s how you should be every day, how you should interact with people. Even as a kid and young person, outwardly I generally don’t show very much emotion. This is just natural.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/...-baldelli-has-just-the-right-touch-for-twins/

Win Twins!!

This is great - NBC sports.com had an item about the Twins possibly pursuing a trade with the Giants for Madison Bumgarner.

Two "sources" were quoted - Charley Walters and Doogie.

Insert punch line here.

Quite a game last night. I wonder who they will send down to get pitching for today?

Also, Sano 0-7 with 5 K's. Woof. He's the first thing I would offer in any trade discussions if he still has any value. Any time he comes up in a big spot, it feels like a miracle if he even makes contact.

Quite a game last night. I wonder who they will send down to get pitching for today?

Also, Sano 0-7 with 5 K's. Woof. He's the first thing I would offer in any trade discussions if he still has any value. Any time he comes up in a big spot, it feels like a miracle if he even makes contact.

He seems to fall into the trap of going for HRs

I heard on the Power Trip this morning that he's only the seventh Twin in team history to strike out five times in a game. Both Kepler and Dozier have done it recently. I couldn't remember the other names and cannot find anything on it.

I started watching it at the bottom of the 9th. I feel asleep three different times and still caught the last inning.

I started watching it at the bottom of the 9th. I feel asleep three different times and still caught the last inning.

I started watching in the 13th when I got home from the soccer game. I fell asleep in the 16th, woke up to kepler's interview where he avoided being dumped ice water on and rewound the game to watch the 17th. I am now tired today..

I couldn't stop watching, and I never dozed off, so here I am today fighting through it. A classic game that'll be easier to appreciate in retrospect than it was in real time due to the seeming endlessness of it.

Kepler with a game for the ages that really needs some attention and appreciation:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
The Twins are fighting it a bit at the plate right now, especially in clutch situations and with two outs. They also seem to be leading the league in warning-track flies over the last week or so. This is a game of confidence. Hoping they get their groove back soon.

All this said, even with the sputtering offense by their standards, they're still in great shape and only a game off the pace I was hoping for going into the past two weeks.

Part of the reason they're struggling right now on offense is that the book is out that the Twins swing at everything. The other night, they had a dozen at bats that lasted 2 pitches or less. The manager needs to figure out that it's not against the rules to score a run without hitting it into the stands.

Part of the reason they're struggling right now on offense is that the book is out that the Twins swing at everything. The other night, they had a dozen at bats that lasted 2 pitches or less. The manager needs to figure out that it's not against the rules to score a run without hitting it into the stands.

But they didn't earlier in the year. They had been known for not taking a lot of strikes, but usually didn't swing at bad pitches.

Top Bottom