2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Nice win. But the fact that they used Rodgers 2 innings last night and with a 4 run lead tonight speaks volumes. They need 2 relievers badly, even if they're rentals.

He started warming up when it was just a 1 run game. After he warmed up, he was going to be unavailable today (Sunday) either way. At that point they might as well use him. If he hadn't warmed up already, he wouldn't have pitched.

It would be interesting to know whether the curve ball May threw - that went for the Game-winning HR - was called by the catcher, or if May shook him off and went to the curve.

Thing is, it would have been a good pitch but he threw it about 8" too high. you want to start that pitch at the knees and have it drop down to the ankles. he just started it too high.

My gut tells me, when you can throw 97, keep throwing it until the guy hits it. that's why I wonder who called the pitch.

Twins still picked up a game in the standings. If they can take 2 out of 3 every time they face Cleveland, they'll be fine.

I hate to see them send Arreaz back when Rosario/Cron are back. Schoop has been awful, especially with runners in scoring position .

I hate to see them send Arreaz back when Rosario/Cron are back. Schoop has been awful, especially with runners in scoring position .

I doubt he's going anywhere. The fact that Arraez has shown that he can play the outfield too (in a pinch) likely means he's up to stay.

It would be REALLY fortunate for the Twins to come out of these next 7 days with any sizable lead over Cleveland at all. While the Twins are hosting 7 games against Oakland and the Yankees, Cleveland is hosting 7 games against Detroit and Kansas City. Ouch.

Fingers crossed they can have some kind of reasonable lead a week from now

I doubt he's going anywhere. The fact that Arraez has shown that he can play the outfield too (in a pinch) likely means he's up to stay.

They only have 3 bench spots. When fully healthy, Castro gets one. Gonzalez gets one. So it comes down to Arreaz and Adrianza. Adrianza is out of options and wouldn't clear waivers. The only other option is to go to 7 relievers, but I doubt they'd be able to stick with that longer than a week. I wouldn't mind just releasing Schoop and making Arreaz the 2B, but that won't happen.

It would be REALLY fortunate for the Twins to come out of these next 7 days with any sizable lead over Cleveland at all. While the Twins are hosting 7 games against Oakland and the Yankees, Cleveland is hosting 7 games against Detroit and Kansas City. Ouch.

Fingers crossed they can have some kind of reasonable lead a week from now

I'll be thrilled if they're 4 up on 8/1.

Brutal loss to a bad team tonight. Some bad luck and they made it exciting but still a game you can't lose. Down to 5. Cleveland will likely go 9-3 or better the next two weeks. Will be lucky to be up 2-3 on 7/30.

I'll say it again, I actually want Cleveland to make it close around the trade deadline, really push our front office to spend.

Brutal loss to a bad team tonight. Some bad luck and they made it exciting but still a game you can't lose. Down to 5. Cleveland will likely go 9-3 or better the next two weeks. Will be lucky to be up 2-3 on 7/30.

If the Twins are still up by a few games at the end of the month, I think they're in solid shape. Cleveland's schedule is much tougher the last two months of the season. They will have played 13 more games against KC, Detroit, and Chicago than the Twins by the end of July.

Of course I hope it's a bigger lead but I'm still pretty optimistic.

After weeks of hearing about how the Twins need to make pitching moves (they do), it's been the offense and defense that have really let them down. Way too many errors and misplays in the field and an offense that just isn't getting it done for the most part.

After weeks of hearing about how the Twins need to make pitching moves (they do), it's been the offense and defense that have really let them down. Way too many errors and misplays in the field and an offense that just isn't getting it done for the most part.

Scored just 29 runs in the last 12 losses.

I'll say it again, I actually want Cleveland to make it close around the trade deadline, really push our front office to spend.

How much closer do you need it to be? They're going to make a move or not, regardless of where Cleveland is. There are few sellers and many buyers this year. I'd rather not wait until the deadline to make a deal.

Last edited:

If the Twins are still up by a few games at the end of the month, I think they're in solid shape. Cleveland's schedule is much tougher the last two months of the season. They will have played 13 more games against KC, Detroit, and Chicago than the Twins by the end of July.

Of course I hope it's a bigger lead but I'm still pretty optimistic.

Both teams play 12 games between now and 7/29. The Twins 1 Mets/4 A's/3 Yankees/4 @ White Sox. The Indians 2 Detroit/3 KC/3 @ Tor/4 @ KC. I'd say the best case for the Twins is 8-4 and the worst case for the Indians is 8-4, which would leave the lead at 5. Worst case is probably 10-2 for Cleveland and 5-7 for the Twins leaving them tied. I'll take a 3 game lead or better on 7/29.

How much closer do you need it to be? They're going to make a move or not, regardless of where Cleveland is. There are few sellers and many buyers this year. I'd rather not wait until the deadline to make a deal.

I mean the 4-5 game range. I was speaking more about early in June when we had a much larger lead if we had run away with it I would have seen them sitting on their hands and us getting swept first round of the play offs. Now they have to make a move and maybe 2 since Cleveland is so close. there are plenty of sellers out there. They should make 1 move sooner and try to snag another one right at the end.

If the front office is going to make a move, they need to do it ASAP.

They have almost 2 weeks.

Yes. But: They need the help now. If it helps them win a couple of these games against the A's and Yankees that's significant. And there are way more buyers than sellers. if you wait, you will be left with nothing that moves the needle.

Yes. But: They need the help now. If it helps them win a couple of these games against the A's and Yankees that's significant. And there are way more buyers than sellers. if you wait, you will be left with nothing that moves the needle.

I disagree, I think the best players are traded towards the end a lot of the time because the teams selling are holding out for the best deal they can get.

And like Iowa said, our bullpen hasn't really been the problem lately our bats have gone cold.

I disagree, I think the best players are traded towards the end a lot of the time because the teams selling are holding out for the best deal they can get.

And like Iowa said, our bullpen hasn't really been the problem lately our bats have gone cold.

I saw someone suggest a trade of Sano for Eddie Escobar. I would take that trade in a heartbeat.

What's funny about it?

Oh I thought you were making a joke. My bad.

For the record I'd trade Sano in a heartbeat if we got anything for him. I know it would come back to bite us in the @ss because he'd go have a great career but that may just be what he needs to improve and it may never happen here.

Oh I thought you were making a joke. My bad.

For the record I'd trade Sano in a heartbeat if we got anything for him. I know it would come back to bite us in the @ss because he'd go have a great career but that may just be what he needs to improve and it may never happen here.

Both under team control through 2021 or 2022. Will probably make similar $$. If the D-Backs think they can unlock Sano's potential, I say let them have at it.

Shot in the arm tonight. Bats were dead again until Rosario hit a pinch-hit 3-run homer and Garver and Cron backed him up with a couple solo shots for insurance.

Huge 3 run pinch hit dong on the first pitch thrown to Rosario in the 7th tonight. Turned an L into a W for Gibson - who had a nice 100+ pitch outing - and the Twins. Only one mistake by Gibby - 2 run blast. Two late solo dongs by Garver and Cron and another 2 inning, 27 pitch save for T-Rog seal the deal. Arraez started the 7th with a double off the right center scoreboard, to accompany his two walks. Can’t keep him out of the lineup.

Big win.

It might have been the most dramatic moment at Target Field all season. The Twins were sleepwalking through the game, the Indians were leading the hapless Tigers and Eddie smacked the first pitch into the night. The place erupted with joy (and relief).

It might have been the most dramatic moment at Target Field all season. The Twins were sleepwalking through the game, the Indians were leading the hapless Tigers and Eddie smacked the first pitch into the night. The place erupted with joy (and relief).

Potential season changer/season saver. I'd put it behind Thome's HR against the White Sox in 2010 only.

Top Bottom