2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Both Romo and Dyson throw junk and that’s not going to work in Houston or the Bronx in the post season. They need to get Graterol up here in August to see what he can do. We have a 15 out starting staff and and probably the weakest post season BP. Calling him up should be an easy decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dyson throws mid-90's, I wouldn't call that "junk". Romo certainly does, but I still trust him not to wet himself in a big spot in Yankee stadium more than May or a rookie with 3 weeks experience. But I'd still like him up here as an option.

Dyson throws mid-90's, I wouldn't call that "junk". Romo certainly does, but I still trust him not to wet himself in a big spot in Yankee stadium more than May or a rookie with 3 weeks experience. But I'd still like him up here as an option.

I’m not saying he’s the answer but what we have isn’t good enough. I’d like to see if he can help. I don’t trust Dyson and, after seeing the fat pitch he threw in MKE, Romo scares me too. There’s no mfe at 83mph.
Romo is a fun guy to have on the team. Very likable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STrib: Twins GM drops in to visit Brusdar Graterol, but says call-up not imminent

On his way to Texas for this weekend’s series against his former employer, Twins General Manager Thad Levine detoured to Pensacola, Fla., where he witnessed something he had seen only once before.

“In my entire career, I’ve never seen a pitcher other than [Yankees All-Star closer] Aroldis Chapman sit above 100 mph for an entire inning,” Levine said after a firsthand glimpse of Brusdar Graterol. “I think he threw one fastball that was timed at 99, and it was almost disappointing.”

Hmm, the general manager of a team with bullpen issues takes a scouting trip to watch the team’s top pitching prospect pitch in relief at Class AA, just two weeks before major league rosters can be expanded? Yes, Levine knows how it looks — but he was quick to downplay the possibility that a call-up is imminent.

“That idea may have been a little overstated,” Levine said of reports that the Twins are considering adding Graterol for the September pennant drive. “We’re not going to force anything. We would only promote someone if we thought he could genuinely contribute, [and that decision] has certainly not been made.”

And the trip wasn’t just to see Graterol anyway, Levine said, though various possible call-ups are being debated internally.

“It’s a little bit ill-advised to focus on one guy; it’s more a swath of players that we may be inclined to say, ‘Hey, if everything clicked, if we imposed realistic guidelines and they checked all those boxes, could they actually serve a role for us?’ ” Levine said. “Our first line of defense is here, in our clubhouse right now. But we are trying to be as creative as we can.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-tr...terol-but-say-call-up-not-imminent/550301742/

Win Twins!!

Charley Walters: Twins hit the jackpot with Luis Arraez

Minnesota Twins utility player Luis Arraez, hitting a club-leading .353, was signed as a 16-year-old out of Venezuela. The rookie, promoted to the big leagues in May, is playing for a prorated major league minimum $555,000. He received a $40,000 signing bonus in 2013.

“Made a meteoric rise through our farm system as a guy who has a tremendous feel to hit,” Twins general manager Thad Levine said. “He’s one of these guys who at every level probably has had a prospect who was more highly regarded than him. And all he would do at each of those levels was outperform that player.”

Arraez, now 22, has played second base, shortstop, third base and outfield this season.

“He’s a bit of a throwback in today’s game where he has a great sense of the strike zone and hitting the ball all over the field — he has been phenomenal,” Levine said. “His attitude is exceptional, and he plays with a lot of confidence. He plays all over, but when he gets real enjoyment is when the bat’s in his hands.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/17/charley-walters-twins-hit-the-jackpot-with-luis-arraez/

Win Twins!!

I’m not saying he’s the answer but what we have isn’t good enough. I’d like to see if he can help. I don’t trust Dyson and, after seeing the fat pitch he threw in MKE, Romo scares me too. There’s no mfe at 83mph.
Romo is a fun guy to have on the team. Very likable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trust Dyson's track record and movement on his pitches, not what happened when they misused him when he arrived.

FWIW, Trevor May has looked really good his last few outings. He's throwing the fast ball for strikes and not trying as many breaking balls. And Duffey has had two good outings in a row. If those guys can be a little more consistent, the bullpen doesn't look so bad.

Now, the starters - that's a different story. If Berrios doesn't turn things around, it's going to be really dicey.

Nice win tonight. But Berrios is very concerning. Maybe just Minnesota sports fan paranoia, but I'm waiting for the injury announcement.

STrib: Twins GM drops in to visit Brusdar Graterol, but says call-up not imminent

On his way to Texas for this weekend’s series against his former employer, Twins General Manager Thad Levine detoured to Pensacola, Fla., where he witnessed something he had seen only once before.

“In my entire career, I’ve never seen a pitcher other than [Yankees All-Star closer] Aroldis Chapman sit above 100 mph for an entire inning,” Levine said after a firsthand glimpse of Brusdar Graterol. “I think he threw one fastball that was timed at 99, and it was almost disappointing.”

Hmm, the general manager of a team with bullpen issues takes a scouting trip to watch the team’s top pitching prospect pitch in relief at Class AA, just two weeks before major league rosters can be expanded? Yes, Levine knows how it looks — but he was quick to downplay the possibility that a call-up is imminent.

“That idea may have been a little overstated,” Levine said of reports that the Twins are considering adding Graterol for the September pennant drive. “We’re not going to force anything. We would only promote someone if we thought he could genuinely contribute, [and that decision] has certainly not been made.”

And the trip wasn’t just to see Graterol anyway, Levine said, though various possible call-ups are being debated internally.

“It’s a little bit ill-advised to focus on one guy; it’s more a swath of players that we may be inclined to say, ‘Hey, if everything clicked, if we imposed realistic guidelines and they checked all those boxes, could they actually serve a role for us?’ ” Levine said. “Our first line of defense is here, in our clubhouse right now. But we are trying to be as creative as we can.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-tr...terol-but-say-call-up-not-imminent/550301742/

Win Twins!!

Graterol and Alcala were both promoted to Rochester. Will be there Monday. Alcala is an interesting prospect. He was acquired in the Pressley trade. His numbers are not very good this year but he throws very hard as well.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bullpen Bullpen. They blow one today. up 3-2 and Dyson give up a game tying homerun.

Twins scores 3 in the top of the 8th. lead 6-3.

Last edited:

Bullpen Bullpen. They blow one today. up 3-2 and Dyson give up a game tying homerun.
Giving up one run over 4 innings is not blowing it. Every team has bullpen issues. Ours was excellent today. The other teams bring up major league hitters to the batter's box. They aren't going to be perfect.

Not a bad place to be at this point.

2.5 games up on Cleveland going into a 6-game home stand against Chicago and Detroit, while Cleveland goes to the Mets for 3 before going home. Cleveland also has a 3-game road trip in Tampa coming up later this month as well. I think I also saw that Nelson Cruz may be back as early as tomorrow.

This team isn't built for the postseason this year, with or without having made more moves before the deadline, but they'll get some postseason experience anyway.

At the very least they've been an entertaining team to watch

Giving up one run over 4 innings is not blowing it. Every team has bullpen issues. Ours was excellent today. The other teams bring up major league hitters to the batter's box. They aren't going to be perfect.

It sucks to give up the lead, but it was on a solo shot against a guy that's killed the Twins basically for the last 10 years.
Also, the Twins left 21 guys on base yesterday. They really should have had a bigger lead at that point in the game.

Not a bad place to be at this point.

2.5 games up on Cleveland going into a 6-game home stand against Chicago and Detroit, while Cleveland goes to the Mets for 3 before going home. Cleveland also has a 3-game road trip in Tampa coming up later this month as well. I think I also saw that Nelson Cruz may be back as early as tomorrow.

This team isn't built for the postseason this year, with or without having made more moves before the deadline, but they'll get some postseason experience anyway.

At the very least they've been an entertaining team to watch

Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice start by Kyle Gibson and then he crap the bin in the 3rd inning. Come on Gibson. Don't be another starter with a bad outting.

Do not post about Gibson. Do not post about Gibson. Do not ... awww crap.

What is Gibson's stats when we need him to win a game for us, not when we are done with the season and just need to play the teams on our schedule?

Gibson didn't give them what they needed, but the offense is just as much to blame. How many times this season have they started out great in the first inning, putting up a crooked number, only to have the bats let them down the rest of the game. Leaving 18 guys on base isn't going to cut it. I'll say it again, it's not against the law to make a productive out or hit a single.

Gibson didn't give them what they needed, but the offense is just as much to blame. How many times this season have they started out great in the first inning, putting up a crooked number, only to have the bats let them down the rest of the game. Leaving 18 guys on base isn't going to cut it. I'll say it again, it's not against the law to make a productive out or hit a single.

Agreed the twins had the opportunity to score a lot more runs last night and just didn't do it. I'm not saying Gibson doesn't need to be better but it wasn't the type of game where we needed our starter to go 8 innings only giving up 1-2 to win. We had so many opportunities to put up big numbers and just didn't do it.

Agreed the twins had the opportunity to score a lot more runs last night and just didn't do it. I'm not saying Gibson doesn't need to be better but it wasn't the type of game where we needed our starter to go 8 innings only giving up 1-2 to win. We had so many opportunities to put up big numbers and just didn't do it.

thats 2 games in a row with a ton LOB.

I was already wrong about the Twins not seeing first place again after that disgusting loss on Aug 11.

Four game sweep of a middling Texas team on the road.

Six game homestand again middling White Sox and last place Tigers. Promptly lose the first game.

Classic Minn team. Sucker you back in only so they can re-disappoint you. Why do I smell 3-3 at best on the homestand coming?

I'd still be happy with 4-2 during the home stand. Can't win them all in baseball, lets see what happens.

I was already wrong about the Twins not seeing first place again after that disgusting loss on Aug 11.

Four game sweep of a middling Texas team on the road.

Six game homestand again middling White Sox and last place Tigers. Promptly lose the first game.

Classic Minn team. Sucker you back in only so they can re-disappoint you. Why do I smell 3-3 at best on the homestand coming?
Your understanding of the grind of a 162 game baseball schedule is lacking.

He's a bandwaggon fan.

When your team’s wagon has three broken axels, no cover, nails sticking out of the boards, and one healthy oxen left .... it’s tough to keep riding that indefinitely.

Feels like there’s a thousand miles until the Willamette Valley, with 22 pounds of food left, and Sally has dysentery.

When your team’s wagon has three broken axels, no cover, nails sticking out of the boards, and one healthy oxen left .... it’s tough to keep riding that indefinitely.

Feels like there’s a thousand miles until the Willamette Valley, with 22 pounds of food left, and Sally has dysentery.

Yep bandwagon fan.

Yeah, about to set the major league record for homeruns. What a $hitpile.

You got a picture of one of these 6-wheeled wagons? I'd like to get a look at that.

Top Bottom