2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Bad loss last night, gotta win today.

Win Twins!!

Bad loss last night, gotta win today.

Win Twins!!

What the last few games have reinforced is the need to upgrade the bullpen if they're going to be a legit championship contender. Every World Series team I can remember has had a fearsome bullpen. This team is going to have to pay the price if they want to run with the big dogs.

My hope is that they make some sort of package deal to pull a couple of pitchers off of a seller's roster (In order of how likely I think they are):

Stroman/Ken Giles
MadBum/Will Smith
Grienke/Greg Holland
Scherzer/Doolittle

Are Stroman and MadBaum FA's after the season? Also what does Grienke have left on his contract? IIRC it's a lot. In general I agree with this.

Are Stroman and MadBaum FA's after the season? Also what does Grienke have left on his contract? IIRC it's a lot. In general I agree with this.

Baumgardner is, Stroman has another year. Greinke has two more years left at $35M a year. He's 35 now which is concerning but he continues to pitch well.

Baumgardner is, Stroman has another year. Greinke has two more years left at $35M a year. He's 35 now which is concerning but he continues to pitch well.

$35 M a year. Uff da. At least that should bring the prospect price down. I'd push for Stroman/Giles.

Let's not forget, there are a lot of players that have to be put on the 40-man roster after this year, or risk being lost to the Rule 5 Draft.

That makes those prospects that are iffy for the 40 good trade bait.

$35 M a year. Uff da. At least that should bring the prospect price down. I'd push for Stroman/Giles.

It's a lot of money, but you can probably get Arizona to eat some of that money. Detroit did when they shipped off Verlander.

And as pointed out, they need to trade prospects or risk losing them in the Rule 5 Draft, so they almost certainly have to do something.

In order to compete for a World Series, I think they need a starter, a righty from the pen and a lefty from the pen.

Last edited:

I think the real question is - do Falvey and Levine really want to go "all in" this season?

My gut tells me that they did not expect things to go this well so soon. I think their plan called for getting over .500 this year, and continuing to build for a possible pennant run in '20 or '21.

now, they're in a spot where the team is having more success than they expected, and that has them trying to decide whether they want to move up the timetable, and how aggressive they are willing to be.

If I had to predict, I would guess that they are not willing to trade away any top-10 level prospects this year. any help they pick up is not going to be a big name with a big contract. As least that's how I read the tea leaves. I could be wrong.....

I think the real question is - do Falvey and Levine really want to go "all in" this season?

My gut tells me that they did not expect things to go this well so soon. I think their plan called for getting over .500 this year, and continuing to build for a possible pennant run in '20 or '21.

now, they're in a spot where the team is having more success than they expected, and that has them trying to decide whether they want to move up the timetable, and how aggressive they are willing to be.

If I had to predict, I would guess that they are not willing to trade away any top-10 level prospects this year. any help they pick up is not going to be a big name with a big contract. As least that's how I read the tea leaves. I could be wrong.....

If they don't go all in they are fools. You don't get this clear a path to the play-offs very often. And the Astros and Yankees are good, but not unbeatable by any means.

Keep an eye out for a mystery pitcher. LHP bullpen arm, K/BB ratio approaching 3/1 and a 1.29 ERA.

If they don't go all in they are fools. You don't get this clear a path to the play-offs very often. And the Astros and Yankees are good, but not unbeatable by any means.

I don't think it's an either or situation. You can make moves to help this team without sacrificing the future too much. If you add a few arms that are on expiring contracts, it won't cost as much.

I don't think it's an either or situation. You can make moves to help this team without sacrificing the future too much. If you add a few arms that are on expiring contracts, it won't cost as much.

I'd trade anyone but Lewis or Graderal. Doesn't mean you have to gut the farm system. But they should be willing to give up 3-4 prospects to add two pitchers and the untouchable list should be short.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

I'd trade anyone but Lewis or Graderal. Doesn't mean you have to gut the farm system. But they should be willing to give up 3-4 prospects to add two pitchers and the untouchable list should be short.

I'd add Kirilloff to that list as well. A guy I wouldn't call untouchable but is someone I really want them to hang onto is Duran. They got him from Arizona in the Escobar trade. He reportedly has hit 100 mph this year while at Ft Myers. 21 year olds that throw that hard are not easy to find.

I'd add Kirilloff to that list as well. A guy I wouldn't call untouchable but is someone I really want them to hang onto is Duran. They got him from Arizona in the Escobar trade. He reportedly has hit 100 mph this year while at Ft Myers. 21 year olds that throw that hard are not easy to find.

I certainly wouldn't trade Kirilloff for that Jays package. But if it was to get say Bauer and Hand from the Indians I would. I doubt Cleveland will go there unless we vastly overpay though.

I certainly wouldn't trade Kirilloff for that Jays package. But if it was to get say Bauer and Hand from the Indians I would. I doubt Cleveland will go there unless we vastly overpay though.

Hard to say anyone is untouchable really, without knowing what the trade target is. Of the top prospects, Kirilloff is actually my favorite, but for a #1 or #2 or maybe even #3 starter with several years of team control, why wouldn't you make that move? A proven commodity over prospects, I would do that. A 2019 rental? Then yes, there are several that are untouchable. But not otherwise.

Kuchel to the Braves on a one year $21 million deal prorated. I'm more disappointed in the Twins not jumping on this than I am about Kimbrel. Pineda is a mess and Perez is regressing. We could use him. Plus I think Pineda could actually be good in the bullpen.

The Twins are going to let every good available pitcher go somewhere else.

Kuchel to the Braves on a one year $21 million deal prorated. I'm more disappointed in the Twins not jumping on this than I am about Kimbrel. Pineda is a mess and Perez is regressing. We could use him. Plus I think Pineda could actually be good in the bullpen.

There appears to be wider opinions on Keuchel than Kimbrel. I don't think he is even close to worth that kind of money right now. He allowed more hits than innings pitched last year. His strikeout numbers continue to increase. I mentioned it earlier that his numbers combine over the past three years are very similar to what Gibson has done in the past year and a half. Solid but not even close to what he did in his Cy Young season. Then you add in that history has shown that pitchers that miss all or part of spring training usually struggle for awhile, I just don't think he's a big upgrade.

I'm curious and excited to see what the Twins do in the next two months. I really think they'll make a few moves.

Kimbrel would have been fine, but the fact that Boston didn't seem to want him back even though their bullpen is worse than the Twins raises all sorts of questions. I wanted zero part of Keuchel. The division is all but won. Anyone they add needs to help you win a playoff series. I don't think Keuchel does that. At all. His velocity is down, his flyball rate is up and he doesn't strike anyone out with any regularity. If they end up matching up with Houston or New York, look at all the power righties in those lineups. A weak armed lefty against those bats? No thanks.

Kimbrel would have been fine, but the fact that Boston didn't seem to want him back even though their bullpen is worse than the Twins raises all sorts of questions. I wanted zero part of Keuchel. The division is all but won. Anyone they add needs to help you win a playoff series. I don't think Keuchel does that. At all. His velocity is down, his flyball rate is up and he doesn't strike anyone out with any regularity. If they end up matching up with Houston or New York, look at all the power righties in those lineups. A weak armed lefty against those bats? No thanks.

I'm not disappointed with not getting either of them. I will be if they don't make any pitching moves though.

There appears to be wider opinions on Keuchel than Kimbrel. I don't think he is even close to worth that kind of money right now. He allowed more hits than innings pitched last year. His strikeout numbers continue to increase. I mentioned it earlier that his numbers combine over the past three years are very similar to what Gibson has done in the past year and a half. Solid but not even close to what he did in his Cy Young season. Then you add in that history has shown that pitchers that miss all or part of spring training usually struggle for awhile, I just don't think he's a big upgrade.

I'm curious and excited to see what the Twins do in the next two months. I really think they'll make a few moves.

i wouldnt have signed him. 50% because of his declining numbers/50% because of the layoff. But we do need another started to push Pienda into bulllpen and Perez to 5th spot.

I just hope the new guys in the front office really do have free rein to go get some guys to make this team better. I know we have the best record in the AL but I don't think this is a world series team this year personally. But at this point if they can get a couple pitchers to make this team better we should expect some good play off action and who knows, with a little luck maybe we could see a world series. It would just take a lot of luck for this team I think.

I'm not disappointed with not getting either of them. I will be if they don't make any pitching moves though.

Same. A Jamie Garcia trade isn't what I'm after either. At least two arms that you can look at and know they can help you in October.

Exactly

We'll have to wait until 8/1 to judge it all. At the very least, the Twins don't do a good job of managing expectations. The fan base is used to them "having interest" in high priced guys only to do nothing. And yet they again let the Strib know they were all in on one or both and again did nothing.

Falvey and Levine seem to be smart baseball guys but lack common sense in dealing with the team and PR wise. Whether it's this, how they handled Buxton last September or letting Molitor find out that Escobar was traded by seeing in on TV while he was meeting with the media.

Last edited:

We'll have to wait until 8/1 to judge it all. At the very least, the Twins don't do a good job of managing expectations. The fan base is used to them "having interest" in high priced guys only to do nothing. And yet they again let the Strib know they were all in on one or both and again did nothing.

Falvey and Levine seem to be smart baseball guys but lack common sense in dealing with the team and PR wise. Whether it's this, how they handled Buxton last September or letting Molitor find out that Escobar was traded by seeing in on TV while he was meeting with the media.

Falvey and Levine like a lot of front office guys in sports or even managers in a lot of companies just see the players as numbers. Probably even more so since they are analytics guys. It's a business plain and simple.

As far as us always just "having interest" do you think a lot of that has to do with the Twins and their reputation? If you were a higher end free agent would you even entertain an equal offer from the twins? Certainly not if you got a comparable offer from say the cubs. Getting players through trade will always be easier for MN cuz we are the twins.

What's considered a high priced free agent? Cruz and Gonzalez were signed for a similar amount per year that Keuchel and Kimbrel were. Lance Lynn was considered a top 10 free agent last year.

Falvey and Levine like a lot of front office guys in sports or even managers in a lot of companies just see the players as numbers. Probably even more so since they are analytics guys. It's a business plain and simple.

As far as us always just "having interest" do you think a lot of that has to do with the Twins and their reputation? If you were a higher end free agent would you even entertain an equal offer from the twins? Certainly not if you got a comparable offer from say the cubs. Getting players through trade will always be easier for MN cuz we are the twins.

If you're going to run an MLB team you have to walk and chew gum. Falvey did a couple innings of TV with Bremer during the re-scheduled game. He's not dumb or an awkward public speaker, like say Zigi Wilf or Jim Pohlad. He just doesn't seem to care about these things. A simple statement that you're open-minded to all options but think the trade market will make more sense and the public expectations don't go to 100.

For a Muchado/Harper mega-deal you're right. Even in Kimbrel's case, we would probably have to pay more than the Cubs to get him. But for a deal like Kuechel's, it's all about this year. We're more likely to make the play-offs than Atlanta. He probably would have come here for equal or close to equal $.

What's considered a high priced free agent? Cruz and Gonzalez were signed for a similar amount per year that Keuchel and Kimbrel were. Lance Lynn was considered a top 10 free agent last year.

Yeah but none of them were "the" free agent or the popular one. When was the last time the twins got "the" free agent?

Top Bottom