2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Duffy's outing on Saturday after throwing 25 pitches and Rogers 2nd inning tonight are why the answer on Friday wasn't so clear-cut.

Yeah. It would be easier to be optimistic if we weren't watching the same movie for 15 years.

By my calculation, even with a terrible team that has only a 30 percent chance to win a game, the randomized chance of losing 16 straight games is one in 300.

The Twins ⚾️ of recent decades have never been in the business of winning for the sake of winning. It's about winning just enough to pacify folks and get them to come to the park again next year (watch the moves they make after this year to see this philosophy).

The gulf in quality between MN and the Yankees is massive, and their similar records appear to be a mirage as NYY hit the switch with ease. The Twins adding good players? Why, that would cost money! Baseball has a convenient shield of internal farm system/prospect development which allows for constant reliance on a never-ending excuse of "the future is bright and we can't mortgage the future by trading young prospects for current star players." The goalposts are always moving.

I don't blame die-hard Twins fans for disconnecting and treating it as a pure social/entertainment outing until shown otherwise.

I respect the Wilf Vikings because they're willing to do what must be done to win games - even if it doesn't always work out.

Last edited:

By my calculation, even with a terrible team that has only a 30 percent chance to win a game, the randomized chance of losing 16 straight games is one in 300.

That's what makes our Twins exceptional!

Correct. Using your numbers it’s 0.7 to the 16th power == 3.3 thousandths ==> 1 in 303. If it’s 50/50, it’s 1.5/100,000. Wow.

The Twins ⚾️ of recent decades have never been in the business of winning for the sake of winning. It's about winning just enough to pacify folks and get them to come to the park again next year (watch the moves they make after this year to see this philosophy).

The gulf in quality between MN and the Yankees is massive, and their similar records appear to be a mirage as NYY hit the switch with ease. The Twins adding good players? Why, that would cost money! Baseball has a convenient shield of internal farm system/prospect development which allows for constant reliance on a never-ending excuse of "the future is bright and we can't mortgage the future by trading young prospects for current star players." The goalposts are always moving.

I don't blame die-hard Twins fans for disconnecting and treating it as a pure social/entertainment outing until shown otherwise.

I respect the Wilf Vikings because they're willing to do what must be done to win games - even if it doesn't always work out.

They won the second most games in the history of the Twins. Are you saying they purposely bring in guys that perform well in the regular season but not the playoffs? This team is better than they’ve shown in this series.

This is such a canard. The gulf between the Rays and Astros is far bigger than the gulf between the Twins and Yankees. They still managed to man up and win at least one $%%^ game.

I've been defending Rocco a bit, but he uses Rogers and Romo for 2 innings tonight. They both give up runs in the 2nd inning while May and Duffy are sitting unused. He has made a lot of questionable decisions in this series.

2 on in the 9th and you let a clearly injured Kepler hit?

Watching a pitch right down the middle for strike 3 was a fitting end to this series.

The Pohlads' mentality of "we're a small market team" really cripples the Twins.

It's the ownership equivalent of watching a called third strike.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Game 1 is the killer of momentum.

CJ Cron, who should have never been on the postseason roster, dropped that ball for the double play. It should have remained 3-1.

Then, Rocco turned into an over manager and took out Berrios too early. JB has one, if now two innings in him. He then turns to the untested Littel? WTF There goes the lead.

So now the twins are within 3, easily manageable, especially in Yankee stadium, and he goes with Gibson, who gives up 3 runs?

Can anyone imagine TK or Bud or Zimmer saying that on a night like tonight?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Game 1 is the killer of momentum.

CJ Cron, who should have never been on the postseason roster, dropped that ball for the double play. It should have remained 3-1.

Then, Rocco turned into an over manager and took out Berrios too early. JB has one, if now two innings in him. He then turns to the untested Littel? WTF There goes the lead.

So now the twins are within 3, easily manageable, especially in Yankee stadium, and he goes with Gibson, who gives up 3 runs?

The worst move the series was starting Arreaz in game one against a lefty on a bad ankle. Schoop catches the pop-up in RF and makes a better throw on the double-play. It cost the Twins at least two runs. Berrios probably pitches the 5th. Who knows what happens after that.

Also, Kepler should never have been on the ALDS roster. He's not close to healthy and never came remotely close to getting a hit. I'm not sure Garver is close to healthy either.

The Pohlads' mentality of "we're a small market team" really cripples the Twins.

It's the ownership equivalent of watching a called third strike.

The Rays, Royals and A's have won a dozen + play-off games since the Twins last won 1.

The worst move the series was starting Arreaz in game one against a lefty on a bad ankle. Schoop catches the pop-up in RF and makes a better throw on the double-play. It cost the Twins at least two runs. Berrios probably pitches the 5th. Who knows what happens after that.

Also, Kepler should never have been on the ALDS roster. He's not close to healthy and never came remotely close to getting a hit. I'm not sure Garver is close to healthy either.

That's a fair argument on Arraez. However, I disagree with you on that double play. The ball should have never hit the ground. That bum Cron didnt make that play.

Speaking of Cron, he hasnt hit since like June. He should not have been on roster either.

Can anyone imagine TK or Bud or Zimmer saying that on a night like tonight?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nope. But maybe he was saving the criticism for himself

That's a fair argument on Arraez. However, I disagree with you on that double play. The ball should have never hit the ground. That bum Cron didnt make that play.

Speaking of Cron, he hasnt hit since like June. He should not have been on roster either.

I agree. Cron should have caught it. But a better throw makes it a non-issue.

We went with too many hurt players. Kepler was the most obvious. But Cron and Garver were shells of themselves too.

I still don't understand how they could trade for damaged goods like Dyson and think it was okay. Their response has been to throw up their hands and say "You, San Francisco Giants! You got me with that ine!"

I agree. Cron should have caught it. But a better throw makes it a non-issue.

We went with too many hurt players. Kepler was the most obvious. But Cron and Garver were shells of themselves too.
The catcher's interference call on Garver was ominous. First, Judge was playing at a higher awareness level and called it to the pump's attention. Second, why was Garver so lackadaisical about not adjusting his Mitt location for a hitter with a larger swing diameter?

I still don't understand how they could trade for damaged goods like Dyson and think it was okay. Their response has been to throw up their hands and say "You, San Francisco Giants! You got me with that ine!"

I don't think that is necessarily settled. But their options are limited if Dyson sticks to his story that he never disclosed it.

The catcher's interference call on Garver was ominous. First, Judge was playing at a higher awareness level and called it to the pump's attention. Second, why was Garver so lackadaisical about not adjusting his Mitt location for a hitter with a larger swing diameter?

You can go a whole season and not see a catcher's interference. Garver's had two in the last two weeks.

Top Bottom