2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I wasn’t saying they shouldn’t try to make a big move. I believe they did try. My point is I think they’ll have opportunities to make a big move in the next few years. Because it didn’t happen this year doesn’t mean it can’t happen in the future or that they didn’t try. What happened 5, 10, 15 years ago has nothing to do with the current front office.

Fair or not, it does. When an organization has had multiple good teams the last 15 years, and every time has "tried and failed" to make an aggressive move at the deadline, they don't get a free pass. The Yankees failed to make any moves this year, and their fans are upset. But they have made those moves many, many times in the past. We never, ever do.

The terrible decision to send the runner in the 9th and blowing the game in the 10th. This feels like a season turner in the wrong direction.

Of course it is. It’s Minnesota.

This series will be turning point for Cleveland to win the Central.

Twins 3rd base coach Diaz has some explaining to do. Diaz sent Pinch runner Ehire Adrianza around trying to end the game. Ehire Adrianza get thrown out easy. Horrible decison.

Did the same thing last night when Kepler was up next. Neither were close plays at all. Really poor decisions by him.
Rather have 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. In that situation with Hand not having his best stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like it, but as a Twins fan, I've accepted the fact that they will not make any big moves when the trade deadline looms. Their strategy is and has been taking a look in the "discount bin", and hoping the player(s) they pick up overachieves.

I like the addition of Sergio Romo, but he doesn't provide the good starter(s) that I think they really need. Generally, good pitching is more important than good hitting. Well, Cleveland had (before Bauer trade) and still has (after Bauer trade) better pitching than the Twins. Now, they've upgraded their hitting so that it isn't far behind the Twins', and to me, they look like the better team on paper, and are now proving it on the field.

Of course it is. It’s Minnesota.

This series will be turning point for Cleveland to win the Central.

No matter how many times we get kicked in the shins, it still hurts. I look forward to Gopher football starting 6-1 only to finish 7-5.

I wasn’t saying they shouldn’t try to make a big move. I believe they did try. My point is I think they’ll have opportunities to make a big move in the next few years. Because it didn’t happen this year doesn’t mean it can’t happen in the future or that they didn’t try. What happened 5, 10, 15 years ago has nothing to do with the current front office.

It's about the cheap ownership group.
This is a cheap ownership group who tried to remove the team from existence for cold hard cash.
That owner never apologized.
Now his family still owns the team, and they seem to be worse owners than Carl was.

Did the same thing last night when Kepler was up next. Neither were close plays at all. Really poor decisions by him.
Rather have 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. In that situation with Hand not having his best stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate to say it, but...Rocco’s “What, me worry?” Attitude is contagious. Diaz needs someone to ream him a new *sshole. He has sent more than a couple of Twins base runners to their early deaths at home. Can u imagine going back to the dugout to face Billy Martin after that decision?
Let’s not over think this game. Play the percentage!

Fair or not, it does. When an organization has had multiple good teams the last 15 years, and every time has "tried and failed" to make an aggressive move at the deadline, they don't get a free pass. The Yankees failed to make any moves this year, and their fans are upset. But they have made those moves many, many times in the past. We never, ever do.

Sorry but I think that’s ridiculous. Should Fleck be blamed for mistakes Brewster made? It was a weird trade deadline. Most that follow it closely said that. There were more teams in the hunt than normal.

It’s funny because some say they should just give whatever it takes to land someone, yet many fans still complain about the Capps-Ramos trade.

I remember when Diaz sent Sano a week or two ago when there was ZERO chance he was going to make it. Sano!! WTF?

I rarely think this way but today’s loss was on the coaching staff. With 1 out you don’t send him there. With 2, maybe. But I’m even more aggravated by Adrianza still being used as a pinch runner. He’s not fast. In fact he’s barely faster than Cron. But Cave is much faster. His speed difference is about 10 extra feet going from 1st to home. And then why use Rogers there after 31 pitches like 17 hours ago?

The terrible decision to send the runner in the 9th and blowing the game in the 10th. This feels like a season turner in the wrong direction.
Was there today. When he was thrown out, 42,000 people made that sound you make when you see someone’s bad sunburn.

Sorry but I think that’s ridiculous. Should Fleck be blamed for mistakes Brewster made? It was a weird trade deadline. Most that follow it closely said that. There were more teams in the hunt than normal.

It’s funny because some say they should just give whatever it takes to land someone, yet many fans still complain about the Capps-Ramos trade.

People complain about the Ramos trade because they have nothing else to complain about when it comes to deadline deals in the Pohlad era. Matt Capps is the biggest name ever acquired by a team that won 6 division titles in an 8 year span.

People complain about the Ramos trade because they have nothing else to complain about when it comes to deadline deals in the Pohlad era. Matt Capps is the biggest name ever acquired by a team that won 6 division titles in an 8 year span.

Shannon Stewart was a bigger name. Both really helped the Twins the year they were traded.

Those fans are wrong. The 2006 and 2010 team were good enough to win it all, like this one was. Yes it was a steep price, but I'm glad they did it. It would have been nice to get someone better than Capps, but the point stands. However, they could have gotten Cliff Lee for Aaron Hicks, and wouldn't pull the trigger.

In 2006, they needed one more bat. They could have gotten Soriano in his prime for Kevin Slowey or Scott Baker. Nope, too steep a price. Wouldn't do it.

And I'm not advocating any move just to make a move. But I don't believe they "weren't given a chance" on Stroman or couldn't get something done with Minor. Grienke may have been impossible and Syndergaard may have been a ridiculous price. But there were other moves they could have made. They didn't part with a single prospect in their top 20.

Last edited:

Shannon Stewart trade was a big win for us.
You don't win all trades, but that was one we did win.

Frank Viola trade was the other I can think of right now.

Shannon Stewart trade was a big win for us.
You don't win all trades, but that was one we did win.

Frank Viola trade was the other I can think of right now.

Trading AJ to the Giants was the biggest win ever for the Twins (Nathan, Liriano and Bonser).

Shannon Stewart was a bigger name. Both really helped the Twins the year they were traded.

Splitting hairs here, but in trading for Capps, the Twins got an All-Star. Capps was also the best reliever that got moved at that deadline. They were in a tough spot with Nathan on the shelf. I don't think most people are mad that they made that trade. The frustration comes from relief pitching being the easiest thing to acquire at the deadline and high-level catching prospects being few and far between. A GM that wasn't in way over his head could have gotten a deal done without Ramos (who ended up being a good pro, but not great).

Trading AJ to the Giants was the biggest win ever for the Twins (Nathan, Liriano and Bonser).

+1. Terry Ryan made some good trades. But they were almost all that direction, never us trading prospects for an established player.

Shama: Twins Fans Make a Statement

Looking for a positive storyline from the Twins-Indians four-game series at Target Field? While the hometown club lost three of four to Cleveland, the fans came through for the Twins.

The Indians scooted out of Minneapolis in a first place tie in the AL Central with Minnesota but don’t blame local baseball patrons for lack of support. Series attendance averaged 35,568 with a four game total of 142,275—the fourth highest for a four-game series in Target Field history. The largest crowd was Sunday afternoon, a reported sellout of 37,849.

Fans turned out even though they could have stayed at home watching the series on HD TV. Many drove through rush hour traffic and construction for the Thursday and Friday evening games. Fans sat through a two-hour rain delay on Saturday night and arrived on Sunday despite threatening morning skies and a 2-1 series lead by the Indians.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Win Twins!!

I went Friday And Sunday. Baseball is a great live sport.

Gossip is Gossip

Those fans are wrong. The 2006 and 2010 team were good enough to win it all, like this one was. Yes it was a steep price, but I'm glad they did it. It would have been nice to get someone better than Capps, but the point stands. However, they could have gotten Cliff Lee for Aaron Hicks, and wouldn't pull the trigger.

In 2006, they needed one more bat. They could have gotten Soriano in his prime for Kevin Slowey or Scott Baker. Nope, too steep a price. Wouldn't do it.

And I'm not advocating any move just to make a move. But I don't believe they "weren't given a chance" on Stroman or couldn't get something done with Minor. Grienke may have been impossible and Syndergaard may have been a ridiculous price. But there were other moves they could have made. They didn't part with a single prospect in their top 20.

I could have bought a Ferrari too but I couldn't pull the trigger... the price was too steep. It is easy to spend someone else's money. I highly doubt many of the trade rumors we hear. If they are too good to be true, they aren't.

I get sick of the cheap owner trope. The baseball guys have been diligently rebuilding the talent in the minors. They have said repeatedly that the Pohlads have given the OK to do what is needed to improve the club.

I hate to tell you but this team is more than a couple pieces away. We've been caught up in the HR mania. How many dingers have been solo shots? This team has the offensive potential to hit some shots but has really been lackluster in the clutch or stringing together timely hits. As others have mentioned, the pitching staff is NOT playoff worthy.

I don't think you mortgage the future for this team. There are too many warts. I think we have seen the success of the Astros model... let's set the stage for longer term success.

Last edited:

I could have bought a Ferrari too but I couldn't pull the trigger... the price was too steep. It is easy to spend someone else's money. I highly doubt many of the trade rumors we hear. If they are too good to be true, they aren't.

I get sick of the cheap owner trope. The baseball guys have been diligently rebuilding the talent in the minors. They have said repeatedly that the Pohlads have given the OK to do what is needed to improve the club.

I hate to tell you but this team is more than a couple pieces away. We've been caught up in the HR mania. How many dingers have been solo shots? This team has the offensive potential to hit some shots but has really been lackluster in the clutch or stringing together timely hits. As others have mentioned, the pitching staff is NOT playoff worthy.

I don't think you mortgage the future for this team. There are too many warts. I think we have seen the success of the Astros model... let's set the stage for longer term success.

The failure to make moves at the deadline is not the Pohlad's fault and is not financial cheapness. It is mostly on the front office for clinging to their prospects like grim death. I am not suggesting mortgaging the future. But trading one of your top 5 or two of your top 10 prospects isn't mortgaging the future. A deal for a starter could have been made without touching the top 3.

I agree, I don't think they were going to win the WS, but your odds in any year even once you make the play-offs are only 10-20%. They should have at least given themselves a shot and they didn't. Next year, Nelson Cruz probably won't be as good. We probably won't have the best hitting catching combo on the game. We have no idea what our pitching rotation will look like. The shot was there for the taking but we deferred to "next year" again.

Last edited:

Twins best prospects from 2017
1. Nick Gordon
2. Stephen Gonsalves
3. Fernando Romero
4. Alex Kiriloff
5. Tyler Jay
6. Lewin Diaz
7. Adalberto Mejia
8. Travis Blankenhorn
9. Wander Javier
10. JT Chargois

Some names to keep in mind if you're afraid of "mortgaging the future". Prospects are just raffle tickets. More often than not, they don't work out. For every John Smoltz, there's 25 Phil Humbers.

And your Minnesota Twins are now in 2nd place. Cleveland continues to scorch. Hand blows another save, but it doesn't matter, as Carlos Santana homers in the bottom of the 9th.
It should be noted that Santana is only back with the Indians because owner Larry Dolan had buyer's remorse after signing Encarnacion to the richest free agent deal in club history.

Twins Prospects in the Bigs

Twins best prospects from 2017

Some names to keep in mind if you're afraid of "mortgaging the future". Prospects are just raffle tickets. More often than not, they don't work out. For every John Smoltz, there's 25 Phil Humbers.

But look at the previous prospect lists and note how many (8) are key players on this year's squad. (Year most recently listed as prospect and rank that year.)

1. Buxton
2. Berrios
3. Kepler
6. Polanco

2. Sano
9. Rosario

4. Gibson
7. May

TRADED AWAY
5. Arcia traded to Tampa for player to be named- even trade as Arcia fizzled out
6. Hicks traded to NY for John Ryan Murphy- poor trade

4. Revere traded to Phillies for Worley and May- good trade

https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/twins-2019-top-30-prospects-list

I again don't think it is worth trading top prospects in a sellers market. Too many buyers... not enough sellers in 2019. The assets available were not going to make or break the club this year. We need too much help in the pitching staff (starters and relievers), need some consistent on-base offensive players to set up some long balls with runners on base, and need some stronger players in the field to cut down on the awful errors. Even if we outbid some teams for some of the top names, they would only help in one of these areas.

Cleveland has gotten healthy and the Twins have gotten their share of the injury bug. Buxton is surprisingly valuable for a .250 hitter because of his defense and ability to hit some doubles.

Last edited:

This team is so dumb. Another win given away. I can't stand any of the guys in the bullpen.

Sorry, but how do you measure this?

Liriano had 1 1/2 good years with us?
Nathan was great until the playoffs.
AJ was an all-star, although his stint with SF was short.
In that regard it was a good trade, but the Viola trade won us a World Series.
The AJ trade didn't.

Another dual swing. Cashner strikes out Perez as the go-ahead run, seconds later Marwin hammers one over the fence.

Top Bottom