Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 554
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    One looming issue for the Twins: 2020 status of the current rotation:

    Berrios-1st year arbitration
    Gibson-Free Agent
    Odorizzi- Free Agent
    Perez-Free Agent
    Pineda-Free Agent

    Pineda is bad and I don't yet trust Odorizzi. I'd be willing to sign Gibby to an extension of say 3/$30 and Perez for perhaps 2/$16 or 3/$24.
    whether you agree with the strategy or not, it seems pretty clear that Falvey and Levine went into this season determined that they would not tie up players to long-term contracts unless they were 100% sure that those players were going to be long-term key components. virtually every off-season signing was a 1-year deal, or a 1-year deal with a possible team option. F & L wanted to keep all their options open, and have a year to evaluate the minor-league talent.

    going forward, it all hinges on what happens with the next group of minor-league players - Lewis, Kiriloff, Rooker, Gordon, Graterol, etc. I would not be shocked if half of the 40-man roster turns over in the next 2 or 3 years - especially for the pitching staff and bullpen.


  2. #302
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,603
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    Perez has a team option for 2020 at $7.5 million. I'm assuming they think Graterol will take over one of the spots by next year. He's got a 1.91 ERA at Pensacola right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a September call up if they think he could help a little in the bullpen.
    Didn't know that on Perez. Looks like a no-brainer at this point.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,603
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    whether you agree with the strategy or not, it seems pretty clear that Falvey and Levine went into this season determined that they would not tie up players to long-term contracts unless they were 100% sure that those players were going to be long-term key components. virtually every off-season signing was a 1-year deal, or a 1-year deal with a possible team option. F & L wanted to keep all their options open, and have a year to evaluate the minor-league talent.

    going forward, it all hinges on what happens with the next group of minor-league players - Lewis, Kiriloff, Rooker, Gordon, Graterol, etc. I would not be shocked if half of the 40-man roster turns over in the next 2 or 3 years - especially for the pitching staff and bullpen.
    Yes. I think they are winning a year ahead of schedule, but when the situation changes, your plans should change.

  4. #304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Yes. I think they are winning a year ahead of schedule, but when the situation changes, your plans should change.
    Agreed, no one thought this team would have the best record in the league at any point this season. Some people may have been predicting winning the central (but only because the central for the most part sucks besides cleveland but now their injuries have derailed their season). Now all of a sudden the expectations have changed, it will be interesting to see how that changes their plans and if it messes with their long term plans. But with how good this team is playing their plans should change. The problem is I don't trust the pitchers just yet. Maybe it's the MN sports fan in me but I just can't believe Odo and Perez can keep this up....
    Who hates iowa?

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    6,445

    Default

    Let's see what they do June 3rd. the date you can sign free agents that had compensation due to their former teams.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,603
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Agreed, no one thought this team would have the best record in the league at any point this season. Some people may have been predicting winning the central (but only because the central for the most part sucks besides cleveland but now their injuries have derailed their season). Now all of a sudden the expectations have changed, it will be interesting to see how that changes their plans and if it messes with their long term plans. But with how good this team is playing their plans should change. The problem is I don't trust the pitchers just yet. Maybe it's the MN sports fan in me but I just can't believe Odo and Perez can keep this up....
    I would expect at least one of them to crash back to the mean. They still need one more starter and one more reliever to have a legit shot of making a run in the play-offs. They can probably get to the play-offs as is.

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    I would expect at least one of them to crash back to the mean. They still need one more starter and one more reliever to have a legit shot of making a run in the play-offs. They can probably get to the play-offs as is.
    The bullpen worries me more than the starters. A bullpen with Magill, Harper, Morin, etc is not a playoff bullpen. Hildenberger has been shaky lately. At this point, after Rogers, Parker and May, the bullpen really drops off. And do not bring up Mejia. His best position IMHO is beer vendor.

  8. #308

    Default

    Sid: Twins didn't wait to sign key free agents this offseason

    Last season, Twins Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey and General Manager Thad Levine often talked about how they were comfortable being patient in the free-agent market to add pieces to their club.

    For the past two seasons, Major League Baseball teams have seemed to agree and become more patient, especially about giving out big contracts to premier free agents. So far this season, star pitchers such as former Red Sox reliever Craig Kimbrel and former Astros starter Dallas Keuchel are still unsigned.

    But it seems like the decision by Falvey and Levine to go after players earlier this past offseason is really paying off. The Twins have the best record in baseball at 23-12 through 35 games, compared to 17-18 last season.

    Last season the Twins’ primary free-agent signings were Michael Pineda, Fernando Rodney, Zach Duke, Addison Reed, Anibal Sanchez, Erick Aybar, Logan Morrison and Lance Lynn. They also traded for Jake Odorizzi from Tampa Bay.

    http://www.startribune.com/twins-did...son/509729622/

    Win Twins!!

  9. #309

    Default

    per Shama:

    Flexible Ticket Pricing Now Twins Way

    The Minnesota Twins offered the deepest single game discount on tickets this week that sources could recall.

    Tuesday the club offered thousands of outfield seats for each of the 12 remaining home games in May at a price of $5 per ticket, and by Wednesday afternoon the inventory was gone. Then Wednesday night the organization did a second $5 flash sale for May offering entry to Target Field for games but not a designated seat, and now that inventory is also gone. This afternoon a Twins news release said that 20,000 outfield seats were sold via the first sale and 12,000 ballpark access tickets in the second.

    How fast the Twins sold out the $5 allotment speaks to its popularity. “In my memory, I don’t remember anything this deep affecting so many tickets for this long a time,” said WCCO Radio talk show host Dave Mona who has followed the Twins franchise since its inception in 1961. “They’ve still got a substantial part of May remaining. I think that they (Twins executives) looked at it and said, ‘We need to do something dramatic to get people into the ballpark,’ and this was pretty dramatic.”

    It’s been a rough spring for weather but the Twins have been playing some of the best baseball in the majors and the organization’s marketers want to get fans to Target Field so they can sample the product. “…I am sure they are as perplexed as others at how much of the decline is weather related because it truly has been a terrible spring for baseball,” Mona said. “They’re hoping people come to the park, like what they see and come back even after the promotion ends.”

    The Twins attracted less than two million customers to their games last season. That was the lowest head count since 2010 when they moved into their new home, Target Field. This spring empty seats have been everywhere at the downtown ballpark.

    http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

    Win Twins!!

  10. #310

    Default




    Win Twins!!

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Corn Field
    Posts
    23,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    The bullpen worries me more than the starters. A bullpen with Magill, Harper, Morin, etc is not a playoff bullpen. Hildenberger has been shaky lately. At this point, after Rogers, Parker and May, the bullpen really drops off. And do not bring up Mejia. His best position IMHO is beer vendor.
    Mejia has shown he can be pretty good as a starter. He looked really good in his 4 starts last year. And he's out of options so I imagine they front office wants to hold onto him as long as they can. I could see him getting a few starts if Pineda continues to struggle.

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    33,603
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    Mejia has shown he can be pretty good as a starter. He looked really good in his 4 starts last year. And he's out of options so I imagine they front office wants to hold onto him as long as they can. I could see him getting a few starts if Pineda continues to struggle.
    In the meantime his "hamstring pull" will linger until they decide whether to cut bait with Pineda.

  13. #313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    Mejia has shown he can be pretty good as a starter. He looked really good in his 4 starts last year. And he's out of options so I imagine they front office wants to hold onto him as long as they can. I could see him getting a few starts if Pineda continues to struggle.
    I don’t see this, I root for him so I hope he can find a role.

  14. #314

    Default

    Another shutout!!

    Win Twins!!

  15. #315

    Default

    Where ever that new place Odo trained this off season is going to be flooded with pitchers next year and they will be able to charge whatever they want and make a ton of money. He has been nothing short of amazing this season thus far.
    Who hates iowa?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •