2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I trust Gibby over Odo at this point. It was a fun 2 month mirage, but Odo is who he is. Gibby is more consistent.

Odorizzi's start tonight may tell us a lot. A team as woeful as Miami, close to last in MLB in batting average and runs scored, even Odo should get through 6 innings without a ton of trouble. If not... yikes...

Odorizzi's start tonight may tell us a lot. A team as woeful as Miami, close to last in MLB in batting average and runs scored, even Odo should get through 6 innings without a ton of trouble. If not... yikes...

5 innings. 2 ER's. 100 pitches. Twins win.

Holy crap, the Indians traded away Trevor Bauer. Pretty odd move for a team 3 games out. Definitely good news for the Twins! I'll take it!

I trust Gibby over Odo at this point. It was a fun 2 month mirage, but Odo is who he is. Gibby is more consistent.

I don't think any of the Twins current starters are worthy of ace status for a world series contender, even with the Twins' offensive output so far this season. Odorizzi has had the highest ceiling, but that was years ago. I don't think we will see them pick up any substantial starter, but I guess it's possible that ownership/management will realize this is their best opportunity since 1991 and make the move.

Holy crap, the Indians traded away Trevor Bauer. Pretty odd move for a team 3 games out. Definitely good news for the Twins! I'll take it!

Is it? Did you see what they got in return? Reyes has 27 HR's and Puig has 19. Their offense just got a lot better. This is certainly not a case of selling. They also got prospects. I'd say that's a hell of a return for 1.5 years of a hot headed starter.

Last edited:

Is it? Did you see what they got in return? Reyes has 27 HR's and Puig has 19. Their offense just got a lot better. This is certainly not a case of selling. They also got prospects. I'd say that's a hell of a return for 1.5 years of a hot headed starter.

Agreed indians have plenty of good pitching, their offense has been horrible to say the least. Their team got significantly better....

Sergio Romo didn’t want to consider the possibility of having to face the Marlins, his team as recently as Friday. He established relationships, did what he could to mentor the younger players and enjoyed his nearly four months with them.

“I’d rather not think about it,” he said before Tuesday’s game. “I’m almost hoping they don’t call my name, but I’m pretty sure the way baseball works, I’m going to get called in and called often. Go figure.”

Yes, figure. The Twins needed Romo on Tuesday to protect a one-run lead in the eighth inning. To Romo, the opponents on Tuesday were his brothers.

And 20 pitches later — yes, that’s on the high side — Romo was pounding his chest as he walked off the field after stranding a runner on second. His Twins debut was a success. Moreover, his Twins debut was vital in their 2-1 victory over the Marlins in the first of a three-game series at Marlins Park.

http://www.startribune.com/sergio-r...5PAOeGVRcpVAFqNljOl5LKTM+pkAliv4DjwLsYIYE2+s=

Win Twins!!

STrib: Twins still in the market for more relief pitching

Teams are waiting for arms to start moving on the market, but little had happened as of early Tuesday evening. Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said it wasn’t even worth speculating about what could happen.

“One, I have literally no idea because no one does,” Baldelli said. “No one knows what is going to happen around these times of the year. There’s always a lot of speculation. Everyone has an opinion on what’s going on.”

After looking into top starters such as the Mets’ Noah Syndergaard and the Blue Jays’ Marcus Stroman, the Twins could look to land a reliever to further supplement the bullpen. They believed Syndergaard and Stroman were the best starters available, as well as being contractually under team control for at least another year. Stroman was dealt to the Mets, and the Twins balked when the Mets asked for Byron Buxton as part of any package for Syndergaard.

There are many relievers on the market who could help: Toronto’s Daniel Hudson, San Diego’s Kirby Yates, Arizona’s Greg Holland and Archie Bradley, Baltimore’s Mychal Givens, Seattle’s Roenis Elias and others. The Twins have checked on most available arms.

The Twins also have checked with American League Central Division clubs with pitching to trade, but realize dealing within the division would be problematic.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-still-in-the-market-for-more-relief-pitching/513418082/

Win Twins!!

Agreed indians have plenty of good pitching, their offense has been horrible to say the least. Their team got significantly better....

Their team got significantly better if all the injured guys return to top form. It's pretty risky to assume that Kluber (who was getting knocked around by Miami when they shattered his pitching arm), Carasco (wish him well, but the guy is fighting cancer) and Danny Salazar (who hasn't thrown a meaningful pitch in a couple years) can simply replace what Bauer gave them. Losing Bauer is also going to put a strain on the bullpen unless they can find someone to eat all those innings.

Their team got significantly better if all the injured guys return to top form. It's pretty risky to assume that Kluber (who was getting knocked around by Miami when they shattered his pitching arm), Carasco (wish him well, but the guy is fighting cancer) and Danny Salazar (who hasn't thrown a meaningful pitch in a couple years) can simply replace what Bauer gave them. Losing Bauer is also going to put a strain on the bullpen unless they can find someone to eat all those innings.

They don't need any of that to happen. They already had a top 5 pitching staff in the league but are bottom 3rd in batting and offense. They gave up a couple spots in their pitching ranking but gained huge in offense. They are instantly better whether any of those injured guys return to form or not.

I (albeit optimistically) agree with this take a little more. Good pitching beats good hitting, especially in the postseason. Reyes is definitely a dangerous addition, Puig is a power threat that's kind of a head case and likely gone after this year.

I definitely won't say it's a bad move by Cleveland, but giving up someone like Bauer is a risky move for a team that wants to make postseason noise, no matter how you slice it.

You guys are acting like Bauer was pitching like he did last year. He is a work horse for sure this year and has pitched a lot of innings but he's not having the same success.

If the Twins make zero moves today, Falvey is officially Terry Ryan 2.0 and should be fired.

If the Twins make zero moves today, Falvey is officially Terry Ryan 2.0 and should be fired.

Starting to get antsy. Need to do something. If they'd have done what the Nationals already got done, I'd be thrilled.

Upset that you didn't get any reactions when you posted this stupid take the first time?

Starting to get antsy. Need to do something. If they'd have done what the Nationals already got done, I'd be thrilled.

Meh, none of those guys the Nationals got are game changers. If the asking prices are as high as rumors are saying I'm not going to be terribly disappointed if we don't get a big name. I don't want to sell our farm system for average relievers.

Adding in: Rumored ask for Vazquez from the Pirates is like 2 of a teams top 3 prospects. If the rumors were true that the Mets were wanting Buxton, Lewis and another top 5 prospect for Thor I'm assuming they want 2 top prospects for Edwin Diaz. I'm just not sure I'd do that.

Last edited:

Added Sam Dyson from the Giants, looks like at the last minute. Not sure for who yet.

Added Sam Dyson from the Giants, looks like at the last minute. Not sure for who yet.

Better than nothing. But really wish they could have added a starter. The Astros may have locked up the AL by getting Grienke.

Not a terrible pickup by any means. Uber low WHIP, high ground ball pitcher, veteran arm.

Gave up Jaylin Davis, Kai-Wei Teng (low A) and Prelander Berroa, who I had not heard of before. Teng had some upside, Davis has been coming on strong, maybe the Giants got a couple of lottery tickets, who knows.

I'm okay not giving up the farm for a big name. I really wanted a higher profile move but after thinking about it, it would have sucked to be held ransom by a seller who thinks they have you by the balls and way over pay. Overpaying is okay, for a proven commodity with some team control, WAY overpaying is just not cool. I'm glad the front office exercised some restraint

Berrios is definitely a front line pitcher, Pineda is getting better as the season goes on, and with any luck one of the other 3 separates themselves as the season winds down to be a good 3rd starter in the postseason. At least that's how I see it playing out? Who knows. It'll be interesting to see if they do some load management with Pineda (they have already really) down the stretch since he didn't pitch last year.

Hopefully what they did is enough. We'll see.

I think the hope is to play Yankees in the ALDS and hope the Indians/A's somehow upset Houston. Hard to imagine winning a 7 game series against Verlander/Cole/Grienke and that line-up.

For those complaining about Greinke:

The Twins were in good company.

Last edited:

Has anyone checked out the NY Post yet? Cashman must be getting raked over the coals.

They made a solid and good addition to the bullpen. They did ok there.

They have 1 starter on the team next year. A trade could have helped to have another on staff next season. The rotation next year could be ugly.

I mean, they're in first place and have the 4th best record in baseball. I think they should get a lot of credit for that. Also for having one of the better farm systems in the league.

They did pretty much what I thought they would today. The name isn't flashy but it's a good pickup. Under one more year of control too I think.

Aren't you due to whine about Joe Mauer's contract again?

Factually stating that Mauer's contract was terrible isn't whining.

Looks like Falvey gets to stay employed for another day! If the Twins don't win the division, Falvey is officially Terry Ryan 2.0 and should be fired September 30.

Last edited:

For those complaining about Greinke:

The Twins were in good company.

Presumably, you're on the no trade list so that he can demand more $$. Though in Grienke's case, he might really not want to come here.

The D-Backs are paying $25 of the $75 million Grienke is owed through 2021. If they are also paying the deferred compensation, then it's probably a good trade for the Astros.

Grienke was probably not a realistic option for the Twins. But it's disappointing they couldn't pull of Robbie Ray or Stroman.

They made a solid and good addition to the bullpen. They did ok there.

They have 1 starter on the team next year. A trade could have helped to have another on staff next season. The rotation next year could be ugly.

I'd offer Gibson a 3/$36 extension right now.

I mean, they're in first place and have the 4th best record in baseball. I think they should get a lot of credit for that. Also for having one of the better farm systems in the league.

Yes. But you have the best offense in team history and there's no dominate team in the AL. If you're not going to go for it now, you never will. That was (one of) Terry Ryan's downfalls. If someday will never come, what's the point?

I'm glad they at least fixed the most glaring problem and are giving themselves a chance if Odo or Gibson can shock us.

Top Bottom