Chip Scoggins: Jordan Murphy's name belongs with the Gophers greats

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Jordan Murphy's height on the official roster is listed at 6-7. In reality, the Gophers power forward is likely an inch or two shorter than that.

Too bad they can't measure the size of his heart. Nobody on the court would top him in that category.

Murphy's wonderful career can be summed up thusly: Undersized but never outworked. And so it was again Saturday at the Barn in the closest thing to a must-win game for a slumping Gophers team.

Desperate to keep their NCAA tournament hopes alive after losing four in a row, the Gophers chose a familiar script. They turned to Murphy for inspiration, production and relentless effort. And he delivered on all accounts, as usual.

Murphy scored 17 of his game-high 23 points in the first half as the Gophers exposed a stunning lack of urgency and competitive fight by the Indiana Hoosiers in an 84-63 win at Williams Arena.

It was a vintage Murphy performance. He was fearless in taking on taller defenders and crafty with his post moves. His brute strength set a physical tone that energized his entire team. He was the toughest player on the floor.

"He's an understated kid so he probably doesn't get the respect that he deserves," Gophers coach Richard Pitino said.

Gophers fans should take time to savor the twilight of Murphy's career. He will be remembered — or should be, at least — among the program's all-time greats. He has a legitimate shot to finish second in school history in scoring, and he already ranks second in Big Ten history in rebounds.

His approach provides the wow factor to his legacy.

http://www.startribune.com/jordan-murphy-s-name-belongs-with-the-gophers-greats/505953612/

Go Gophers!!

per Chip:

Jordan Murphy's height on the official roster is listed at 6-7. In reality, the Gophers power forward is likely an inch or two shorter than that.

Too bad they can't measure the size of his heart. Nobody on the court would top him in that category.

Murphy's wonderful career can be summed up thusly: Undersized but never outworked. And so it was again Saturday at the Barn in the closest thing to a must-win game for a slumping Gophers team.

Desperate to keep their NCAA tournament hopes alive after losing four in a row, the Gophers chose a familiar script. They turned to Murphy for inspiration, production and relentless effort. And he delivered on all accounts, as usual.

Murphy scored 17 of his game-high 23 points in the first half as the Gophers exposed a stunning lack of urgency and competitive fight by the Indiana Hoosiers in an 84-63 win at Williams Arena.

It was a vintage Murphy performance. He was fearless in taking on taller defenders and crafty with his post moves. His brute strength set a physical tone that energized his entire team. He was the toughest player on the floor.

"He's an understated kid so he probably doesn't get the respect that he deserves," Gophers coach Richard Pitino said.

Gophers fans should take time to savor the twilight of Murphy's career. He will be remembered — or should be, at least — among the program's all-time greats. He has a legitimate shot to finish second in school history in scoring, and he already ranks second in Big Ten history in rebounds.

His approach provides the wow factor to his legacy.

http://www.startribune.com/jordan-murphy-s-name-belongs-with-the-gophers-greats/505953612/

Go Gophers!!
To say he is special is an unbelievable understatement. He will be greatly missed.

Its a shame the team has not had more success during his incredible 4-year run. Fingers crossed that they can squeak into the tourney. Murphy will do his part for sure.

I would assume that Murphy is our all-time leader in dunks by a huge margin if they kept the stat.

His jersey will hang in the rafters!

His jersey will hang in the rafters!

Will he get his picture up there with the other Gopher greats? I think he deserves it. 2nd all time B1G in rebounding, amazing.

Yep. You want to show someone what it is to work hard on the glass, show him tape of Jordan Murphy. The guy is a phenomenal rebounder. They will miss that big time next season. I hope they get into the tourney and can make some kind of run. This kid deserves it.

Will he get his picture up there with the other Gopher greats? I think he deserves it. 2nd all time B1G in rebounding, amazing.

I really hope it does and I hope it happens soon enough that the people who vividly remember his time here can appreciate it. The fact we haven't had anyone since Trent Tucker (played almost 40 years ago) is sad.

I really hope it does and I hope it happens soon enough that the people who vividly remember his time here can appreciate it. The fact we haven't had anyone since Trent Tucker (played almost 40 years ago) is sad.

Willie Burton, Voshon Lenard, and Bobby Jackson all belong up there, so it's not like the U hasn't had guys (since Trent) who belong in the rafters. But the U is too PC to ever put Vo & Bobby up there.

Randy Breuer is the most recent player to have his jersey retired.

Thanks. This helps proves my point that you need to be like 45 years old to even have a chance at a memory of any of these guys.

Correct - though the duration is largely reinforced by the fact that Gophers basketball has been mediocre-to-poor for several decades. The only players worthy in that time played during the vacated years. I have argued that Trevor Mbakwe is one of the best Gophers players in a long time, but he only played 2 full seasons and was not a model citizen during his time here - and I'm not even sure whether he graduated? Murphy is probably the only player since that early-80s time period to check all of the boxes (productivity, longevity, "clean" record - self and team).

Why doesn't Willie Burton have his jersey retired? Bobby Jackson I get (vacated wins) but Burton deserves to be up there.

So does Murphy, FWIW.

Murphy deserves to have his picture hanging from the rafters at Williams but when they do his banner they should put 2 images on it. One of him throwing down a dunk and the other of his snagging a rebound. So that every-time someone looks up there at it they can be reminded about him being a double double machine during his time here.

Correct - though the duration is largely reinforced by the fact that Gophers basketball has been mediocre-to-poor for several decades. The only players worthy in that time played during the vacated years. I have argued that Trevor Mbakwe is one of the best Gophers players in a long time, but he only played 2 full seasons and was not a model citizen during his time here - and I'm not even sure whether he graduated? Murphy is probably the only player since that early-80s time period to check all of the boxes (productivity, longevity, "clean" record - self and team).

Did I miss something? Mbakwe had "troubles" before he got to Minnesota but as far as I recall, he was a model citizen at Minnesota.

Did I miss something? Mbakwe had "troubles" before he got to Minnesota but as far as I recall, he was a model citizen at Minnesota.

You're right, my mistake - I was thinking that the whole "2% chance" incident (as noted by memorable tool GopherWarrior) happened after he was already here.

Willie Burton, Voshon Lenard, and Bobby Jackson all belong up there, so it's not like the U hasn't had guys (since Trent) who belong in the rafters. But the U is too PC to ever put Vo & Bobby up there.

Just curious, I was an elementary kid when Voshon was a Gopher. I remember thinking he was just invincible. Because I don't know, what did he do that would ban him from the rafters? Just being in the Clem era?

Either way, they should honor Burton, Voshon, and Bobby along with Jordan Murphy.

I'd be curious to see what Murphy's measurable are when it comes to arm length and vertical. if he measures way above what is expected for his size, he might get serious looks from NBA teams.

He does seem to have a crazy vertical. I can't really recall a player who can elevate like he can with such ease right below the basket. Countless times I've seen him jump up below the rim and I am expecting him to throw up a prayer layup but instead he gets an easy dunk. I have to imagine there is some elite athleticism that allows him to do that

I'd be curious to see what Murphy's measurable are when it comes to arm length and vertical. if he measures way above what is expected for his size, he might get serious looks from NBA teams.

He does seem to have a crazy vertical. I can't really recall a player who can elevate like he can with such ease right below the basket. Countless times I've seen him jump up below the rim and I am expecting him to throw up a prayer layup but instead he gets an easy dunk. I have to imagine there is some elite athleticism that allows him to do that

Does Murphy have any brothers? If he does and if they are only 3 and 5 years old, start recruiting them now!

Just curious, I was an elementary kid when Voshon was a Gopher. I remember thinking he was just invincible. Because I don't know, what did he do that would ban him from the rafters? Just being in the Clem era?

Either way, they should honor Burton, Voshon, and Bobby along with Jordan Murphy.

Voshon had a lot of his stats taken away because of the scandal. Assumption is he played in games he otherwise should have been deemed ineligible.

Voshon had a lot of his stats taken away because of the scandal. Assumption is he played in games he otherwise should have been deemed ineligible.

Was it Voshon or the whole team? I never assumed it was Voshon's thing, but that because the games were vacated so were any individual stats.

Top Bottom