STrib: Isaiah Washington sits out but Eric Curry returns

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Gophers were down one player to injury for Saturday’s 84-63 win vs. Indiana, but they gained another back into the rotation.

Sophomore point guard Isaiah Washington was sidelined Saturday because of a tailbone injury. Missing Washington off the bench was offset by redshirt sophomore big man Eric Curry’s return after missing two games with a calf injury.

Curry had two points, two rebounds and two assists in 19 minutes. He was a valuable frontcourt presence with starting center Daniel Oturu in foul trouble. Oturu fouled out with only seven points and one rebound in 13 minutes against the Hoosiers.

“I love Curry,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said. “I’m like the president of his fan club. The guy just makes me look like a good coach, because he’s a smart, smart player.”

Curry, who missed the first 12 games this season after knee surgery, was out for a second straight game in Wednesday’s 62-61 loss at Nebraska. Curry, who was averaging 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds in 19.5 minutes this season, started five games this season. The 6-9 Memphis native had been showing progress in January and scored a season-best 11 points in a Jan. 19 victory over Penn State.

“To miss as many games as he’s missed, it’s hard to come in and be effective,” Pitino said. “But he’s a good passer. I only have to look at him and he knows exactly what I’m saying.”

Washington tried to warm up with his teammates a couple of hours before the game, but he was ruled out and watched the game in street clothes. The 6-1 New York native averages 4.7 points and a team-best 3.2 assists this season in 17.2 minutes off the bench. But Washington’s production had dropped off recently in conference games.

In the loss at Nebraska, Washington was limited to two minutes. He played a combined 27 minutes and scored four points on 2-for-9 shooting in losses to Wisconsin and Michigan State.

“He was hurting,” Pitino said. “He didn’t practice yesterday. He tried to give it a go, but he was hobbling pretty good. Hopefully, tomorrow we get off and get him back.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...on-sits-out-but-eric-curry-returns/505948342/

Go Gophers!!

Curry does not look to be playing 100%. His multiple surgeries appear to have limited both his speed and jumping ability.

Curry does not look to be playing 100%. His multiple surgeries appear to have limited both his speed and jumping ability.

As long as he can keep from re-injuring himself from now until the end of the season.....there's hope that he can come back for his next two seasons stronger. Curry has shown glimpses of being an impact player dating back to his freshman season.

Either way....Pitino needs to address the front court this off season. Even WITH Curry....we are not deep enough.

As long as he can keep from re-injuring himself from now until the end of the season.....there's hope that he can come back for his next two seasons stronger. Curry has shown glimpses of being an impact player dating back to his freshman season.

Either way....Pitino needs to address the front court this off season. Even WITH Curry....we are not deep enough.

If we’re being honest, we have 3 big ten starters on this team next year and no depth. The only position I feel good about is center with Curry and Oturu. I’m also feeling decent about the 2 with Gabe and newcomer Tre Williams.

We need major upgrades at the 1, 4, and depth at the 3. I’m not counting on some miracle off season for IW or for Carr to be a big ten starter.

Pitino needs to work some magic with his remaining 3 scholarships. A tournament bid might help, but it’s probably already too late to expect much in terms of multiple immediate impact players.

Last edited:

He was sucking wind like crazy yesterday as well. I'm not sure how many minutes he played, but you could see him lining up on the free throw lane and really winded. He needs a lot more time to get in shape, and it is highly doubtful that he will ever get back to his original speed and jumping ability. He can still be a solid player, though.

If we’re being honest, we have 3 big ten starters on this team next year and no depth. The only position I feel good about is center with Curry and Oturu. I’m also feeling decent about the 2 with Gabe and newcomer Tre Williams.

We need major upgrades at the 1, 4, and depth at the 3. I’m not counting on some miracle off season for IW or for Carr to be a big ten starter.

Pitino needs to work some magic with his remaining 3 scholarships. A tournament bid might help, but it’s probably already too late to expect much in terms of multiple immediate impact players.

Carr was an all season starter on an ACC team last year as a freshman. He should be Big Ten ready. We should all expect improvement from all the players, but front court is a glaring need. I think Pitino can use Jordan's success as a recruiting tool, both selling his career here and the playing time that is available with his graduation. There have to be some big, athletic jucos or grad transfers clamoring for playing time, and we have it to give.

You're not counting on player who was a double digit scorer as a true freshman in the ACC to be a Big Ten starter? Carr averaged over 10 and 4 and will have had an entire year of development. I don't think anybody is expecting him to be Nate Mason but I think it's safe to say Carr will be a likely Big Ten caliber starter.

Curry was not an explosive athlete as a freshman. I don't think his ACL injury is responsible for lack of bounce, though the brace is probably somewhat of a hindrance.

Curry needs to train those muscles and get in better shape, which he will, eventually.

PG-Carr/IW (I really, really hope IW stays)
SG-Kalscheur/Carr/Willis/Williams
SF-Coffey/Willis
PF-Curry/Omersa
C-Oturu/Curry

Thin but strong rotation. Definitely need help upfront and a dynamic SF would be nice too.

PG-Carr/IW (I really, really hope IW stays)
SG-Kalscheur/Carr/Willis/Williams
SF-Coffey/Willis
PF-Curry/Omersa
C-Oturu/Curry

Thin but strong rotation. Definitely need help upfront and a dynamic SF would be nice too.

Strong if the starters can play 40 minutes. Emphasis on thin. I’m ok with the backups at PG and Center, but not at SG, SF or PF. Now, I’m hoping Willis is better that I’ve seen (scrimmage) and heard (mostly guys here saying he was terrible on his last stop). Pitino has referred to him as a good shooter. That would be a pleasant surprise. Omersa is a kid you pull for to have a light go on and see him figure out the game. He is such a great teammate and full of smiles. He just looks so lost on the court. Like someone you saw in a field playing soccer with a bunch of kids and said “holy cow, look how tall and athletic that kid is! Let’s teach him how to play basketball! And you find out he doesn’t know anything about the game. Then we have the freshman Williams. Like always, I’m excited about him. However, he will be a freshman, and we mustn’t forget that freshman will be freshman (unless their name happens to be Zion).

So, that brings us to next year. In my humble view, we would be a little worse next year due to the loss of Murphy (super hard to replace his production) offset by the significantly improved play at PG (I’m taking the leap to believe that Carr is going to be better than solid from day 1), offset by the very weak bench. One positive offset by two negatives. The one negative we can reverse is the bench and to do that we need one or two VERY SOLID transfers. Or someone named Zion. Or Sampson (the guy from the Bible with long hair). Is there any chance of this happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not counting on player who was a double digit scorer as a true freshman in the ACC to be a Big Ten starter? Carr averaged over 10 and 4 and will have had an entire year of development. I don't think anybody is expecting him to be Nate Mason but I think it's safe to say Carr will be a likely Big Ten caliber starter.

No, and they are smart to not be counting on him in that way. He played on a terrible team that lost almost every game they played. I'd guess he will be a middle to low end type guard in the B1G. If he was more of a player, he would have ended up somewhere besides here most likely. Will he help? He should, but to count on him as a savior wouldn't be smart either. I'm just guessing here, but I would say IW is probably a better player.

No, and they are smart to not be counting on him in that way. He played on a terrible team that lost almost every game they played. I'd guess he will be a middle to low end type guard in the B1G. If he was more of a player, he would have ended up somewhere besides here most likely. Will he help? He should, but to count on him as a savior wouldn't be smart either. I'm just guessing here, but I would say IW is probably a better player.

I think you are coming in too low on Carr. His numbers would indicate he is a significantly better shooter than IW while being much more of a presence on the defensive end at 6'2" with a big frame. There was a reason the Gophers so desperately wanted him eligible this year.

Strong if the starters can play 40 minutes. Emphasis on thin. I’m ok with the backups at PG and Center, but not at SG, SF or PF. Now, I’m hoping Willis is better that I’ve seen (scrimmage) and heard (mostly guys here saying he was terrible on his last stop). Pitino has referred to him as a good shooter. That would be a pleasant surprise. Omersa is a kid you pull for to have a light go on and see him figure out the game. He is such a great teammate and full of smiles. He just looks so lost on the court. Like someone you saw in a field playing soccer with a bunch of kids and said “holy cow, look how tall and athletic that kid is! Let’s teach him how to play basketball! And you find out he doesn’t know anything about the game. Then we have the freshman Williams. Like always, I’m excited about him. However, he will be a freshman, and we mustn’t forget that freshman will be freshman (unless their name happens to be Zion).

So, that brings us to next year. In my humble view, we would be a little worse next year due to the loss of Murphy (super hard to replace his production) offset by the significantly improved play at PG (I’m taking the leap to believe that Carr is going to be better than solid from day 1), offset by the very weak bench. One positive offset by two negatives. The one negative we can reverse is the bench and to do that we need one or two VERY SOLID transfers. Or someone named Zion. Or Sampson (the guy from the Bible with long hair). Is there any chance of this happening?

Oturo will likely take a step forward next year; Curry will be reacclimatized to college ball and Coffey (please stay) will be the unquestioned alpha. I think next year's team will be better if no unscheduled departures. Always a big if.

Its also somewhat relative to the rest of the league.

I think you are coming in too low on Carr. His numbers would indicate he is a significantly better shooter than IW while being much more of a presence on the defensive end at 6'2" with a big frame. There was a reason the Gophers so desperately wanted him eligible this year.

I hope I am!!!

Oturo will likely take a step forward next year; Curry will be reacclimatized to college ball and Coffey (please stay) will be the unquestioned alpha. I think next year's team will be better if no unscheduled departures. Always a big if.

Its also somewhat relative to the rest of the league.

Coffey will or at least should stay. Guys who are unilateral with their dribbling, often have 4 TO/game and disappear frequently from games aren’t ready for NBA success yet.

Coffey will or at least should stay. Guys who are unilateral with their dribbling, often have 4 TO/game and disappear frequently from games aren’t ready for NBA success yet.

Plenty of guys aren't ready for the NBA but end up being first round picks or even lottery picks anyways. I hope he stay's but let's not act like you have to be a first team all american to get drafted these days. With his current skill set and 6-8 frame, someone may feel good enough to draft him in the second round. I'd be especially worried if Pitino is fired and the new coach takes more of a rebuilding approach and doesn't seem as invested in immediate success.

Plenty of guys aren't ready for the NBA but end up being first round picks or even lottery picks anyways. I hope he stay's but let's not act like you have to be a first team all american to get drafted these days.

It's much harder to get drafted now than it was 30 years ago. Yes, very young players often aren't ready but they're getting drafted based on their estimated ceiling. In fact, 4 year players who have really good college careers have a harder time getting drafted than highly rated freshmen.

There are only two rounds now and players are drafted from all over the world. 30 years ago players like Coffey routinely were drafted. Not so much anymore.

It's much harder to get drafted now than it was 30 years ago. Yes, very young players often aren't ready but they're getting drafted based on their estimated ceiling. In fact, 4 year players who have really good college careers have a harder time getting drafted than highly rated freshmen.

There are only two rounds now and players are drafted from all over the world. 30 years ago players like Coffey routinely were drafted. Not so much anymore.

Its a crazy system to be sure. I think there are way too many gambles taken on one-and-done players. I think at two years you can get a real sense for how a young college player might fit at the pro level, but its almost like sophomores are considered over the hill.

I hope the Timberwolves get a "mature" player like PJ Washington that brings some leadership attributes as well as opposed to rolling the dice on a one-and-done.

I'm not saying this to be a d!ck, I'm saying this to hopefully get you more excited about next season: please go actually watch tape of Carr playing. He'd be starting on this year's team.

Is it unreasonable to assume Kalesheur play some SF next year?

I'm not saying this to be a d!ck, I'm saying this to hopefully get you more excited about next season: please go actually watch tape of Carr playing. He'd be starting on this year's team.

No question he would be starting, the combination of athleticism and skills are probably better than most currently eligible Gophers. With three more years of eligibility let's hope Carr and Oturu will be a dominating force in the B1G.

If IW gets going they could be a very athletic team next year, still have to score though and that might be the issue.

No question he would be starting, the combination of athleticism and skills are probably better than most currently eligible Gophers. With three more years of eligibility let's hope Carr and Oturu will be a dominating force in the B1G.

If IW gets going they could be a very athletic team next year, still have to score though and that might be the issue.

Scoring from the guard and SF positions will improve with Carr replacing Coffey as PG and Coffey moving to SF. Scoring from the center position will improve as Oturu is showing great improvement in his ability to score and will be more comfortable as a sophomore. SG is solid as Gabe should improve a bit (he’s already good) as a sophomore. The big issue is replacing Murphy’s rebounding and scoring. That’s going to be a tough nut to crack.

Thank you. I don't take it as you being a dick. Hopefully he is as good as advertised. I just never get too excited about transfers from terrible teams.

Just think what a real point guard could do for the roster this year!!

Thank you. I don't take it as you being a dick. Hopefully he is as good as advertised. I just never get too excited about transfers from terrible teams.

Just think what a real point guard could do for the roster this year!!

Carr's 2017 Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDKGxn6q5Dw

I know its a highlight film but the talent is very obvious.

I'm still counting on Omersa to develop next year. I believe he, Oturu, and Curry will be a good big man rotation.

Its a crazy system to be sure. I think there are way too many gambles taken on one-and-done players. I think at two years you can get a real sense for how a young college player might fit at the pro level, but its almost like sophomores are considered over the hill.

Yes, it does seem like a crazy system but it's surprising how often they are right. Of course, sometimes they are terribly wrong (e.g., Anthony Bennett).

Is it unreasonable to assume Kalesheur play some SF next year?

I define players position by who they can guard. I think Kalscheur can guard SF positions on opposing teams as well or better than Coffey can.

Top Bottom