Sid: Fleck on Micah Dew-Treadway and Gervarrius Owens

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

JOTTINGS

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck recently talked about how transfers Micah Dew-Treadway and Gervarrius Owens can help the team immediately: “Dew-Treadway, the defensive tackle from Notre Dame, will help us and he will play. We get him for one year and maybe, hopefully, for two. … Owens is a guy we signed and we have him for three years, which is really good because we need some depth in the secondary.”

http://www.startribune.com/jim-pohlad-sees-twins-going-through-major-changes/505945242/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

JOTTINGS

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck recently talked about how transfers Micah Dew-Treadway and Gervarrius Owens can help the team immediately: “Dew-Treadway, the defensive tackle from Notre Dame, will help us and he will play. We get him for one year and maybe, hopefully, for two. … Owens is a guy we signed and we have him for three years, which is really good because we need some depth in the secondary.”

http://www.startribune.com/jim-pohlad-sees-twins-going-through-major-changes/505945242/

Go Gophers!!

It's interesting what he said about Owens and depth. I wonder if that means he feels pretty comfortable with the current starters at safety. I guess those would be Winfield and... Howden?

It's interesting what he said about Owens and depth. I wonder if that means he feels pretty comfortable with the current starters at safety. I guess those would be Winfield and... Howden?
I am looking forward to seeing Bennie Sapp play safety too. Owens will not be here for spring ball so I bet Sapp and Howden are battling for that spot.

"Depth" could also mean that Owens starts, and a former starter becomes a backup - improving depth at that position.

Bottom line - having more good players at any position is important. More good players is good. Doesn't matter how you rank them. If this year's top 4 safeties are better than last year's top 4 safeties, that's the goal.

"Depth" could also mean that Owens starts, and a former starter becomes a backup - improving depth at that position.

Bottom line - having more good players at any position is important. More good players is good. Doesn't matter how you rank them. If this year's top 4 safeties are better than last year's top 4 safeties, that's the goal.

You're right. Good point.

Winfield and Howden play the same position.
Battle is to start at the other safety spot and most think it’s Sapp in front for now. I don’t know where the juco fits in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Howden is our best option, I am sure they would start him alongside Winfield Jr.

Safety is probably the position with the least depth on the entire team. Winfield has missed the better part of two seasons so he can’t be counted on until he shows he can stay on the field. Howden played well at the end of the season but struggled mightily right after he replaced Winfield. Other than those two, I don’t think we have a single player who has seen live game action at the position. Maybe Calvin Swenson for a few snaps. A lot of people are penciling in Sapp, but if that’s the case I’m not sure why we wouldn’t have seen him last year. We desperately need players and Owens appears to have a great chance at being an opening night starter.

Agree, Sapp needs to show he is ready in spring before we can anoint him the starter.

Safety is probably the position with the least depth on the entire team. Winfield has missed the better part of two seasons so he can’t be counted on until he shows he can stay on the field. Howden played well at the end of the season but struggled mightily right after he replaced Winfield. Other than those two, I don’t think we have a single player who has seen live game action at the position. Maybe Calvin Swenson for a few snaps. A lot of people are penciling in Sapp, but if that’s the case I’m not sure why we wouldn’t have seen him last year. We desperately need players and Owens appears to have a great chance at being an opening night starter.

Agree with you completely on this. Sapp is a completely unproven commodity.

Agree with you completely on this. Sapp is a completely unproven commodity.

Didn't he sustain ACL tears on both knees in high school? I thought I saw somewhere that his stock was up while attending HS in Florida until the ACL tears. Then he finished his HS in Eden Prairie. I stand to be corrected.

Didn't he sustain ACL tears on both knees in high school? I thought I saw somewhere that his stock was up while attending HS in Florida until the ACL tears. Then he finished his HS in Eden Prairie. I stand to be corrected.

Not sure if it was both, but yes he was a very highly regarded recruit before the ACL tear(s). Hopefully he heals from injuries like Adrian Peterson or Wolverine.

Handy-Holly and Beck transferring really killed our depth last year.

Not sure if it was both, but yes he was a very highly regarded recruit before the ACL tear(s). Hopefully he heals from injuries like Adrian Peterson or Wolverine.

???? He played in all 13 games last year.

???? He played in all 13 games last year.

A lot of players don't ever get back their full speed/strength after an injury like an ACL tear. So it may "heal" but not back to 100% of what it once was. I used Adrian Peterson as an example because many people have pointed out how he came back as strong or even stronger after the injuries.

Interesting article that talks about how some athletes never return to the same form: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

So like I said, hopefully he's more like Adrian Peterson (or better yet, Wolverine or Deadpool) than others' whose careers were ended or impacted by an ACL tear (https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-f...ers-have-ended-because-of-an-acl-injury.html/).

Top Bottom