Peyton Ramsey 128.2
Trace McSorley 124.6
Claton Thorson 121.2
Zach Annexstad 117.6
Kasim Hill 115.7
Al Bush, Jr. 108.5
Brian Lewerke 106.1
Artur Sitkowski 76.4

Tanner Morgan 147.6* (If Morgan had enough attempts to qualify, his rating would have placed him 3rd, behind Haskins and Patterson)

2018 Big Ten All Conference Quarterbacks:

Haskins, First Team
McSorley, Second Team
Patterson, Third Team
Martinez, Thorson, Honorable Mention

Haskins and McSorley are going to the NFL in 2019.

So... who do you project as Big Ten All Conference First Team, Second Team, Third Team and Honorable Mention in 2019?

When looking at the 2018 ratings and the 2019 competition, I like Tanner Morgan's chances to get at least an Honorable Mention.

Adrian Martinez, Nate Stanley, Shea Patterson and Justin Fields would be my pick for the top 4 QBs in 2019

Adrian Martinez, Nate Stanley, Shea Patterson and Justin Fields would be my pick for the top 4 QBs in 2019

Pretty solid picks.

I think Martinez could really blow up in 2019. The running ability sets him apart. Hard to say how good Nebraska will be.

Stanley seems like, well, Stanley. Looks like a top NFL pick one week, then pretty average the next week.

I like Patterson.

Fields is supposedly a generational talent. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the Big Ten. New coach at OSU, too.

Of those coming back Martinez was the most talented QB I saw last year (small sample size). Stanley has all the tools and was solid but loses at least one big weapon. I have no idea how good Fields will be but considering his supporting cast it will be hard for him to be awful. Beyond that I like what Morgan brings and there’s a lot of unknowns at many programs. This could be an intriguing year.

I think Stevens will be the best QB in the Big Ten next year.

Last edited:

I think Steven's will be the best QB in the Big Ten next year.

giphy.gif

As far as Morgan - well, it depends on whether he's the starter.

Annexstad got the nod to start last season. That means something about how Fleck ranked the QB position. And to be fair, Annexstad was playing on 1 leg after the injury, so it's not fair to evaluate his play while injured vs Morgan while healthy.

Let's see how Annexstad looks at 100%, and let him compete against Morgan for the position.

(this, of course, assumes that Clark is not under consideration for the starting job - which he could be IF he is clearly the best QB coming out of Fall camp. Fleck is not shy about throwing a younger player into the lineup if he thinks it will help the team.)

As far as Morgan - well, it depends on whether he's the starter.

Annexstad got the nod to start last season. That means something about how Fleck ranked the QB position. And to be fair, Annexstad was playing on 1 leg after the injury, so it's not fair to evaluate his play while injured vs Morgan while healthy.

Let's see how Annexstad looks at 100%, and let him compete against Morgan for the position.

(this, of course, assumes that Clark is not under consideration for the starting job - which he could be IF he is clearly the best QB coming out of Fall camp. Fleck is not shy about throwing a younger player into the lineup if he thinks it will help the team.)

I think a point being missed here is ZA was healthy the last 4 games of the season. So why didn't he take over the reigns? We only see these guys and how they perform on game day. The coaches see them everyday in practice where it really counts. I personally do not know why ZA didn't regain the QB1 spot but there can only be a few options. 1. He just wasn't good enough to beat out Tanner. 2. He didn't handle not being a starter well. 3. Didn't prepare during the week as well as Tanner. 4. Coaches just thought TM had the hot hand and things were clicking.

There are probably a few more options and/or a combination of some. But the point that needs to be made and clear is there is no way ZA was still hurt for the last 4 games.

I think a point being missed here is ZA was healthy the last 4 games of the season. So why didn't he take over the reigns? We only see these guys and how they perform on game day. The coaches see them everyday in practice where it really counts. I personally do not know why ZA didn't regain the QB1 spot but there can only be a few options. 1. He just wasn't good enough to beat out Tanner. 2. He didn't handle not being a starter well. 3. Didn't prepare during the week as well as Tanner. 4. Coaches just thought TM had the hot hand and things were clicking.

There are probably a few more options and/or a combination of some. But the point that needs to be made and clear is there is no way ZA was still hurt for the last 4 games.

Which has little to do with who starts next year

Which has little to do with who starts next year

How do you figure that? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a successful QB benched in the offseason for one that was mediocre before his injury. Sure, there’s a chance ZA could progress by leaps and bounds but I’ll be astonished if TM isn’t the starter until his play dictates otherwise.

How do you figure that? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a successful QB benched in the offseason for one that was mediocre before his injury. Sure, there’s a chance ZA could progress by leaps and bounds but I’ll be astonished if TM isn’t the starter until his play dictates otherwise.

If it's an open competition, which PJ has said it is, the best QB in spring ball and fall camp should start next year regardless of performance last year.

You believe coach speak? I don’t.

I honestly dont give a crap who is the QB as long as they can drop a 30 yard pass right into Tyler Johnsons hands on a fade in addition to hitting the slant off the RPO with proper technique so that we suck the LBs up the LOS.

Morgan or Annexstad, Clark, Kramer....dont care. What ever qb does those 2 things well, I want him to start as this appears to be what our offense success is predicated off of.

In my ongoing quest to continue pretending that I know what I'm talking about, I liked almost everything about Morgan except for:

When he threw the bubble screen, which we tried many a time, he almost always threw it while backpedaling. The ball then took so long to get there that the defenders had a chance to react and recover. I don't remember that play working at all the last half of the year.

From ESPN

Quarterback Future Power Rankings

http://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/26021751/trevor-lawrence-clemson-atop-quarterback-future-power-rankings

With the return of the Future Power Rankings taking a look at the quarterback position, it's no surprise which team tops the list. Creating these rankings involves examining the next three seasons -- 2019, 2020 and 2021 -- and identifying which teams project best in certain areas. Thanks to draft departures, transfers, coaching changes, emerging performers, recruiting bonanzas and others factors, the current list looks quite different from its predecessor. I place a premium on proven players already on the roster but also consider incoming recruits. I also only evaluate players currently connected to teams, so though it's fun to speculate about future quarterback transfers, they're not part of this evaluation.

7. Ohio State Buckeyes
2018 ranking: 7

Returning starter: None

Scouting the Buckeyes: Ohio State expected to get more than one starting season out of Dwayne Haskins. Fifty touchdown passes and 4,831 yards later, Haskins unsurprisingly left for the NFL. The good news: if record-setting quarterback seasons are the norm under new Buckeyes boss Ryan Day, the program will be just fine. Day turns his attention to Justin Fields, immediately eligible for Ohio State after transferring from Georgia. Fields was ESPN's No. 1 overall recruit in 2018 -- one spot ahead of Clemson's Lawrence -- but couldn't unseat Fromm in Athens. Ohio State will get Fields for at least two seasons. Matthew Baldwin has been solid behind the scenes, and ESPN 300 quarterback Jack Miller arrives in 2020.

8. Nebraska Cornhuskers
2018 ranking: Not ranked

Returning starter: Adrian Martinez

Scouting the Huskers: Quarterback situations change quickly in college football, and Nebraska's transformed in 2018, thanks to Martinez. As a true freshman, he set Nebraska's single-season total offense record by averaging 295.1 yards per game. His completion percentage (64.6) ranked No. 2 in team history, and he recorded 2,617 pass yards, 629 rush yards and 25 touchdowns. Martinez should continue to blossom under coach Scott Frost, and he has at least two more years at the helm of Nebraska's offense. He could quarterback the Huskers through the entire evaluation period as a national awards candidate. Nebraska has some insurance on its roster with Andrew Bunch and Noah Vedral, and just signed Luke McCaffrey, ESPN's No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the 2019 class.

12. Michigan Wolverines
2018 ranking: 21

Returning starter: Shea Patterson

Scouting the Wolverines: The outlook here is certainly better than it was a year ago, as Patterson delivered a strong first season with Michigan (2,600 pass yards, 22 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 149.8 rating). Michigan needs more from the passing game, though, and hopes new offensive coordinator Josh Gattis can better feature the downfield game. Patterson will depart after the 2019 season, at which point Michigan would need its recruiting and development to pay off. Dylan McCaffrey, ESPN's No. 6 pocket passer in the 2017 class, is positioned to take over from Patterson. Joe Milton, an ESPN 300 quarterback in the 2018 class, provides Gattis and coach Jim Harbaugh another option.

14. Penn State Nittany Lions
2018 ranking: 5

Returning starter: None

Scouting the Nittany Lions: Trace McSorley will be missed in Happy Valley after a career filled with victories and team records. But Penn State seems positioned well for the next few seasons. Tommy Stevens eschewed the transfer trend to remain at PSU, where he has appeared in 23 games with more career rush yards (506) than pass yards (304). Stevens will enter spring practice as QB1, but he will need to beat out Sean Clifford, ESPN's No. 3 pocket passer and No. 80 overall player in the 2018 class. Clifford has three seasons of eligibility left. Penn State added to its quarterback depth in the most recent class with ESPN 300 dual-threat prospect Michael Johnson Jr.

From ESPN

http://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/26021751/trevor-lawrence-clemson-atop-quarterback-future-power-rankings

With the return of the Future Power Rankings taking a look at the quarterback position, it's no surprise which team tops the list.Creating these rankings involves examining the next three seasons -- 2019, 2020 and 2021 -- and identifying which teams project best in certain areas.

How does one "examine" three seasons that haven't been played yet?

From ESPN

With the return of the Future Power Rankings taking a look at the quarterback position, it's no surprise which team tops the list.Creating these rankings involves examining the next three seasons -- 2019, 2020 and 2021 -- and identifying which teams project best in certain areas.

How does one "examine" three seasons that haven't been played yet?

I think they're looking at QB's on the roster

Strange they put a mentally weak, untested (Umass does not count) guy ahead of a proven phenom in Martinez and productive guys elsewhere. I realize they want clicks from the rabid Buckeye fan base but totally worthless drivel.

Strange they put a mentally weak, untested (Umass does not count) guy ahead of a proven phenom in Martinez and productive guys elsewhere. I realize they want clicks from the rabid Buckeye fan base but totally worthless drivel.

Gun to your head, if you had to bet, who do you think will have a better season, Martinez or Fields?

I see where you're coming from, but I can't say I disagree with their rankings.

Martinez. I’ve never seen Fields play in a legitimate game. Georgia let him go, although Fromm is pretty good.

Martinez. I’ve never seen Fields play in a legitimate game. Georgia let him go, although Fromm is pretty good.

It's not like Georgia cut him. They would have loved it if he stayed there.

Like I said, I can see your point of view, but I think Justin Fields will be the first team All Big 10 QB. Unfortunately.

He’s unproven. Georgia didn’t trust him to throw in important games, which says something, even if it’s a little something

He’s unproven. Georgia didn’t trust him to throw in important games, which says something, even if it’s a little something

Not following. Georgia entered 2018 with sophomore Jake Frohm, who had just led Georgia to the SEC Championship and overtime in the National Championship game as a true freshman. Frohm didn't struggle this year, leading Bulldogs to the SEC Championship game, where they held a 14 point lead late in the 3rd quarter over Alabama. Frohm finished 5th in FBS in passer rating and 4th in Total QBR.

Its not an indictment on Fields that he didn't get playing time in important games. Just Georgia already having an elite starter.

Not following. Georgia entered 2018 with sophomore Jake Frohm, who had just led Georgia to the SEC Championship and overtime in the National Championship game as a true freshman. Frohm didn't struggle this year, leading Bulldogs to the SEC Championship game, where they held a 14 point lead late in the 3rd quarter over Alabama. Frohm finished 5th in FBS in passer rating and 4th in Total QBR.

Its not an indictment on Fields that he didn't get playing time in important games. Just Georgia already having an elite starter.

If one is projecting him to walk in and be best QB in the Big Ten it matters. Reality vs projection

You're right to point out that just because Fields hasn't played much, it doesn't necessarily follow that he won't be great eventually. But the fact remains: Fields is unproven. We simply don't know, one way or the other.

Martinez, on the other hand, showed some Big Ten talent last season. We have more data on him.

Fromm is the projected #2 overall pick on Walter Football...

I personally think Field's will be the best QB in the big ten next year.

Last edited:

You're right to point out that just because Fields hasn't played much, it doesn't necessarily follow that he won't be great eventually. But the fact remains: Fields is unproven. We simply don't know, one way or the other.

Martinez, on the other hand, showed some Big Ten talent last season. We have more data on him.

We also had more data on Alex Hornibrook coming into the season than Kyler Murray.

Top Bottom