Purdue to add grad transfer line LB; DC Holt’s son from WKU

swingman

Reaction score
Western Kentucky captain, leading tackler LB Ben Holt transferring to Purdue football
Mike Carmin, Lafayette Journal & Courier Published 2:19 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2019 | Updated 2:25 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2019
Ben Holt plans to join the Boilermakers as a graduate transfer this summer

WEST LAFAYETTE – Purdue is expected to add depth to a much-needed position during the offseason.

Ben Holt, who played three seasons at Western Kentucky, confirmed to the Journal & Courier through email that he plans to join the Boilermakers in the summer as a graduate transfer.

Holt is the son of co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Nick Holt, who came to Purdue with head coach Jeff Brohm after the 2016 season. The coaching staff isn't permitted to comment about Ben Holt until he enrolls in classes at Purdue.

Holt, one the Hilltoppers’ captains last season, said he’ll graduate from WKU in May. He said he’ll be on scholarship with the Boilermakers.

Purdue has been thin at linebacker for several years and adding the 5-10, 220-pound Holt helps beef up the depth chart. With Derrick Barnes moving to the program’s Leo position — a hybrid linebacker/defensive end — the Boilermakers need more linebackers.

For spring practice, Purdue will have Markus Bailey, Jack Smith, Jaylan Alexander and possibly Barnes along with a group of walk-ons. Look for a lot of shuffling at the linebacker position since Cornel Jones will miss spring practice after undergoing foot surgery. He is expected to be ready for training camp in August.

Holt led the Hilltoppers in tackles last season, collecting 116 — 40 more than linebacker Masai Whyte, who ranked second. Holt had a team-best 11.5 tackles for loss, including 2.5 sacks. He forced and recovered one fumble. Holt was an All-Conference USA honorable mention selection.

During his career, Holt had 189 tackles and 15 tackles for loss.

Freshman Jacob Wahlberg will also help improve the numbers at linebacker when he joins the program in the summer.

According to Wahlberg’s high school coach — Mark Koziak — the 6-foot-3, 225-pounder who attended Mona Shores will enroll in school in June and be placed on scholarship in August. Koziak said Wahlberg’s scholarship will count toward the 2020 class.

Wahlberg had committed to Western Michigan last summer but decided to join the Boilermakers, despite the lack of an available scholarship in the 2019 class.

“When Jacob de-committed from Western to go to Purdue, they didn’t have any scholarships at the time,” Koziak said

Western Kentucky captain, leading tackler LB Ben Holt transferring to Purdue football
Mike Carmin, Lafayette Journal & Courier Published 2:19 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2019 | Updated 2:25 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2019
Ben Holt plans to join the Boilermakers as a graduate transfer this summer

WEST LAFAYETTE – Purdue is expected to add depth to a much-needed position during the offseason.

Ben Holt, who played three seasons at Western Kentucky, confirmed to the Journal & Courier through email that he plans to join the Boilermakers in the summer as a graduate transfer.

Holt is the son of co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Nick Holt, who came to Purdue with head coach Jeff Brohm after the 2016 season. The coaching staff isn't permitted to comment about Ben Holt until he enrolls in classes at Purdue.

Holt, one the Hilltoppers’ captains last season, said he’ll graduate from WKU in May. He said he’ll be on scholarship with the Boilermakers.

Purdue has been thin at linebacker for several years and adding the 5-10, 220-pound Holt helps beef up the depth chart. With Derrick Barnes moving to the program’s Leo position — a hybrid linebacker/defensive end — the Boilermakers need more linebackers.

For spring practice, Purdue will have Markus Bailey, Jack Smith, Jaylan Alexander and possibly Barnes along with a group of walk-ons. Look for a lot of shuffling at the linebacker position since Cornel Jones will miss spring practice after undergoing foot surgery. He is expected to be ready for training camp in August.

Holt led the Hilltoppers in tackles last season, collecting 116 — 40 more than linebacker Masai Whyte, who ranked second. Holt had a team-best 11.5 tackles for loss, including 2.5 sacks. He forced and recovered one fumble. Holt was an All-Conference USA honorable mention selection.

During his career, Holt had 189 tackles and 15 tackles for loss.

Freshman Jacob Wahlberg will also help improve the numbers at linebacker when he joins the program in the summer.

According to Wahlberg’s high school coach — Mark Koziak — the 6-foot-3, 225-pounder who attended Mona Shores will enroll in school in June and be placed on scholarship in August. Koziak said Wahlberg’s scholarship will count toward the 2020 class.

Wahlberg had committed to Western Michigan last summer but decided to join the Boilermakers, despite the lack of an available scholarship in the 2019 class.

“When Jacob de-committed from Western to go to Purdue, they didn’t have any scholarships at the time,” Koziak said

Who cares???

All I know is this Fleck hate has gone too far. It needs to stop.

Before somebody gets hurt. For the love of God.

What is the proper number of expected wins next season to avoid Trollin’ ? Is the range between 7-9. Let’s establish Troll ground rules. Are news of problems at our opponents, eg Wisconsin losing 4 offensive linemen good news or considered hateful of the Gophers.

Before somebody gets hurt. For the love of God.

What is the proper number of expected wins next season to avoid Trollin’ ? Is the range between 7-9. Let’s establish Troll ground rules. Are news of problems at our opponents, eg Wisconsin losing 4 offensive linemen good news or considered hateful of the Gophers.

I would like to ask Highway these questions. Although he was slow identifying Swingman as one, he still seems to be the in-house expert on what qualifies one as a Troll. Unfortunately, there are so many trolls on here that he has half the site on his ignore list and so it is tough to reach him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to ask Highway these questions. Although he was slow identifying Swingman as one, he still seems to be the in-house expert on what qualifies one as a Troll. Unfortunately, there are so many trolls on here that he has half the site on his ignore list and so it is tough to reach him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Highway was the arbiter of what we can and what we can't talk about. I fear that giving him the control on the official definition of a troll is just too much power in one place.

I thought Highway was the arbiter of what we can and what we can't talk about. I fear that giving him the control on the official definition of a troll is just too much power in one place.

Good question. His Ignore list has to be pretty large...he might only be seeing his own posts...

Top Bottom