Maxwell Janes...not rowing with the team anymore

Wonder what its going to take to eliminate this thread? Many of the comments posted do not pertain to the topic at the beginning. No doubt it has been feeding the trolls, Ma Barker, and the people who don't like Fleck.

Remember it takes time to change a culture. Doesn't happen within a year or two as you have people who grew up in a particular culture most of their lives and for them its going to take time. Fleck is trying. Takes time.

Tim, we all have our own experiences. I'm glad you have everything figured out and have reached true spiritual enlightenment. My arguments on a freaking message board have zero to do with what I "need to find". If you think Shannon Brooks is a bad guy because some guy on the internet says he does drugs - which is really the whole point of my entire extreme stance, then I feel sorry for you and 007. Good luck to you, man.

I think you misunderstood me if you think I was implying that Shannon Brooks is a bad person if he does in fact use drugs. If drug use or alcohol use causes you to be angry or aggressive like this story implies, not a good thing. But I don't know Shannon Brooks from Adam, so I have no idea if he is a good person.

If any thread is ever evidence that we need to get closer to the season to have football relevant banter, this is the one !!!
Winter and the offseason, possibly seasonal affective disorder is taking its toll.

Last edited:

This thread really has it all. Such a great microcosm of gh football. To summarize:

- shots at PJ, UMN, and d1 football for double standards
- unverifiable personal account of being assaulted by current gopher player
- armchair lawyer discussion of legal ramifications and classification of assault
- argument over benefits/ethics/morality/legality of recreational drug use
- argument over CTE prevalence, implications, and current research

anything else i'm missing?

This thread really has it all. Such a great microcosm of gh football. To summarize:

- armchair lawyer discussion of legal ramifications and classification of assault

I kind of wonder if the possible roommate thinks Pitino saved his job yesterday.

Yes, annoying Fleckites or Flecksters or whatever they’re called.

No one has brought up whether Claeys weighed more or less than 5 average cheer leaders so there is more that could be added.

I've seen some threads on this site go laughably astray but this one takes it to a heretofore unachieved level. This thread should be deleted, attached to a nuclear missile, shot into outer space and detonated. Then we should all go about our lives pretending it never existed.

The best part is that half the posts are by trolls that I’ve ignore listed. I’m not even sure what the thread is about.

Oh yeah, Maxwell Janes. I’ll be honest, I didn’t even remember there was a guy on the team with that name. Thought it was a swingman thread.

Last edited:

I've seen some threads on this site go laughably astray but this one takes it to a heretofore unachieved level. This thread should be deleted, attached to a nuclear missile, shot into outer space and detonated. Then we should all go about our lives pretending it never existed.

If you think drugs are dangerous, they are nothing compared to launching and detonating a nuclear missile.

Discuss.

If anyone is surprised or shocked that a D1 college FB team and coach might - I say might - treat a star player differently than a walk-on, then you have led a very sheltered life.

But, just to play devil's advocate - the Brooks incident - providing it happened as 007 says - is not on the same level as a physical altercation with a police officer. If Brooks was drunk and got into a fracas with a cop, I believe he would be off the team, too.

as far as allegations of drinking and drug use by FB players - again, if you think the entire Gopher FB team is a bunch of choir boys who spend their free nights going to bible study, you have led a very sheltered life. I am NOT suggesting the Gophers are any better, or worse, or different than any other D1 team. take a group of 100 to 120 college age men, and the odds are extremely high that some of them will drink - that some of them will drink too much on occasion, and that some of them might smoke pot or use other recreational drugs.

There may be no other incidents involving Gopher FB players - or there may have been incidents that the public will never know about, because they were handled internally. Doesn't mean the Gophers have a problem. Doesn't mean Fleck isn't sincere about what he says. Just the facts of life when dealing with college kids.

Not shocked, save the sanctimonious preachings of the head life coach and culture cheerleader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, so many experts , so few facts.

Almost as dumb as arguing about sports...but here we (including you) are. :cool:

No one has brought up whether Claeys weighed more or less than 5 average cheer leaders so there is more that could be added.

Fun fact about Claeys, he never used the stairs in the old complex ( always elevator) also never used the shower in his office bathroom as he was too big. lol

Last edited:

I kind of wonder if the possible roommate thinks Pitino saved his job yesterday.

If Pitino didn't win he would more than likely lose his job, Indiana is a terrible team, yes they won against some great non conference teams but lately they are terrible.

I wasn't a player, I worked for the athletic department for 2 years then was an undergraduate athletic medicine intern for a year and a half

I call total BS. BS. BS. BS. You’re full of it. Start to finish. Bye bye.

If 007 has eaten at the Kafe Stuga, he is legit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ahhhh Writer, I wrote the same things under my senior picture in my high school yearbook as you are espousing here. Rebelling against the man and the square rules of common society. Trying so hard for the world and the cool kids to view me as different, unique, and counterculture. Of course I grew up, realized as I moved through college and early 20's that most drug use is not mind expanding, but a way to fit in, feel accepted and compensate for a yet to be developed emotional and intellectual identity.

Understanding with age and knowledge that if I needed drugs to expand my mind that meant my mind was lacking something essential in a non-altered state. Whether that be confidence, intelligence, or happiness, most find those things in relationships or from strength within. At some point experimentation gives way to inadequacy and dependency. At best, you sound like someone that needs to find those things and at this point it probably isn't going to be in a chemical. At worse, you are The Fonz. An adult hoping that he can be thought of as cool by young adults, someone that feels he has stayed true to rebellion and side stepped growing up. Either way it is a sad look, not a cool one. Good Luck man.

But... but... Joe Rogan told me it's cool, and I have to do something to back up my individuality when my totally unique tattoo doesn't show!

Nacho Doritos. <drop mike>

College students in general are faced with a Pandora's Box of opportunities and peer pressures of a magnitude they haven't faced prior to college that they're not generally prepared to face.

Then throw in a cultish following of sports fans it's really surprising there isn't more of this type of thing.

I feel bad for Janes, I can only imagine waking up to the level of "****, what have I done?" he must be facing.

Knowing it would suck. Having it splattered across the media would be inescapable.

we all make choices, but you can't help but wonder if this is a case of 'good riddance' or just a good kid who momentarily lost touch with reality.

Ho-hos or any Little Debbie snack in the box quantities.

February 15, 2019 05:15 PM KSTP

A a former Gophers football player was arrested last Friday after police say he punched an officer.

According to a spokesperson for the university, Maxwell Timothy Janes was dismissed from the team after university officials learned about the incident.

Gopher football coach P.J. Fleck issued the following statement about the incident:

"We have extremely high standards for members of our team and when those standards are not met there are consequences," Fleck said in the statement. "The behavior exhibited in this situation is completely unacceptable and contradictory to the culture we are creating. Law enforcement officers speak to our team and educate them multiple times a year, and we greatly appreciate those who protect and serve us on a daily basis."

According to the criminal complaint, Minneapolis police officers were dispatched to the Main Post Office near 1st Street S. and Hennepin Avenue at about 12:39 a.m. on Feb. 8 for a welfare check.

While en route to the post office, officers were informed that the individual was attempting to get into the post office and was substantially underdressed for the cold weather, the complaint says.

The complaint says after officers arrived, the individual, later identified as Janes, gained access to a loading dock when a garage door opened. Officers were able to stop him, and noticed he appeared to be intoxicated.

The complaint says officers put Janes in their squad car to remove him from the cold conditions, but he then told officers he was about to vomit. After police opened the door to allow him to vomit if he needed to, Janes got out of the car and punched an officer in the face, and then actively fought with officers, the complaint says.

Officers eventually restrained him and took him to jail.

He's being charged with fourth degree assault of a peace officer, which caused demonstrable bodily harm, and is in the Hennepin County Jail.

As a freshman last season, Janes played in all 13 games on special teams for the Gophers. He previously attended Mounds View High School.

College kids do what college kids do. They all have a certain level of maturity and restrain. It is not all about hitting the books, and the football team is not immune to this. Kids party, drink, and go out on the town for fun. It is too bad, this kid will regret this mistake for the rest of his life.

Fun fact about Claeys, he never used the stairs in the old complex ( always elevator) also never used the shower in his office bathroom as he was too big. lol

Do you have any other info on the showering habits of our coaches? This isn't a creepy discussion at all.

Isn't it common sense that punching a cop is a more serious offense than punching your male roommate?

I think most of us on here have gotten into physical altercations with our friends, I doubt many of the posters in this board have punched a cop.

That about sums it up. I can't say whether Brooks is a great guy or a cad, but to the best of my knowledge, he's never punched a cop.

+1

Best thread on Gopherhole in a long while.

Really? Enlighten me as to why. Totally off base. Trashes individuals such as Claeys whom has nothing to do with the thread. Trashes our current coach for trying to change the culture. Are you enjoying the trashing? What is it that you like?

A Charles Manson mention.

Top Bottom