Maxwell Janes...not rowing with the team anymore

#2Gopher

Reaction score
February 15, 2019 05:15 PM KSTP

A a former Gophers football player was arrested last Friday after police say he punched an officer.

According to a spokesperson for the university, Maxwell Timothy Janes was dismissed from the team after university officials learned about the incident.

Gopher football coach P.J. Fleck issued the following statement about the incident:

"We have extremely high standards for members of our team and when those standards are not met there are consequences," Fleck said in the statement. "The behavior exhibited in this situation is completely unacceptable and contradictory to the culture we are creating. Law enforcement officers speak to our team and educate them multiple times a year, and we greatly appreciate those who protect and serve us on a daily basis."

According to the criminal complaint, Minneapolis police officers were dispatched to the Main Post Office near 1st Street S. and Hennepin Avenue at about 12:39 a.m. on Feb. 8 for a welfare check.

While en route to the post office, officers were informed that the individual was attempting to get into the post office and was substantially underdressed for the cold weather, the complaint says.

The complaint says after officers arrived, the individual, later identified as Janes, gained access to a loading dock when a garage door opened. Officers were able to stop him, and noticed he appeared to be intoxicated.

The complaint says officers put Janes in their squad car to remove him from the cold conditions, but he then told officers he was about to vomit. After police opened the door to allow him to vomit if he needed to, Janes got out of the car and punched an officer in the face, and then actively fought with officers, the complaint says.

Officers eventually restrained him and took him to jail.

He's being charged with fourth degree assault of a peace officer, which caused demonstrable bodily harm, and is in the Hennepin County Jail.

As a freshman last season, Janes played in all 13 games on special teams for the Gophers. He previously attended Mounds View High School.

yet assaulting a roomate holds up to the "high standards".. nice

I'm not sure if that was anything or not (Brooks). But punching a peace officer is NEVER a good choice. Let's hope it is a lesson to Janes...

I thought the whole thing resulted from the roommate feeling threatened in some way and a call was placed. There may have been some broken glasses. Maybe they kissed and made up. Seems different than allegedly punching a police office in the face and wrestling with others, after illegal entry into a federal office building in a drunken stupor. I get the feeling PJ will toss anyone he feels deserves it, even Shannon Brooks.

The only witnesses were football players so of course Brooks got away with it. Roomate was punched and Brooks kept threatening roomate that he'd have his "people" come shoot and kill him if he called the cops after Brooks took his phone away while being restrained by 3 teammates. Roomate had an emergency OFP against Brooks but he tried to protest it in court with representation by Lee Hutton so roomate didn't want to put himself or his family through that process and dropped it.

Last edited:

The only witnesses were football players so of course Brooks got away with it. Roomate was punched and Brooks kept threatening roomate that he'd have his "people" come shoot and kill him if he called the cops after Brooks took his phone away while being restrained by 3 teammates. Roomate had an emergency OFP against Brooks but he tried to protest it in court with representation by Lee Hutton so roomate didn't want to put himself or his family through that process.

If true it certainly doesn’t reflect well on Brooks. As always I’d like to know the whole story, however. Sometimes roommates are incompatible. Throw in liquor, a bad day, and short tempers and all kinds of things can happen. I’d like to think Brooks isn’t the bully you’re describing but I don’t know him.

You can ask me anything, I've known him for a few years, and he definitely knows hows to act in public but out of that watch out. I was the roommate.

Do you think he should be off the team? You’re saying this is a pattern of behavior?

Did PJ look into this?

I definitely think he should, If the team did secure drug tests he would be kicked off immediately, him and other plays bring in fake piss to get away with it. (I've seen positive at home drug tests done by him that he had sitting around the apartment) He's cheated on his "girlfriend" many times. We almost got evicted because he couldn't control the parties every weekend and would never take responsibility for it. Supposedly PJ looked into it but I don't believe it at all, they never questioned me about anything. Like I said all of the witnesses were football players so of course they were going to save his ass. The reason why I took him into live with me is because he got evicted twice over the summer and working for the team at the time thought to "follow the culture" like I was instructed and took him in as family. Wasn't till a few months later that the head AT said it was "unprofessional" for me to be living with him and wouldn't allow me to explain the situation after the assistants knew and were fine with it. I tried to contact PJ about it but couldn't get to him. Overall the whole situation is F'd up and I wish never would have happened, but I have lost all respect for PJ Fleck and Minnesota athletics..

I definitely think he should, If the team did secure drug tests he would be kicked off immediately, him and other plays bring in fake piss to get away with it. (I've seen positive at home drug tests done by him that he had sitting around the apartment) He's cheated on his "girlfriend" many times. We almost got evicted because he couldn't control the parties every weekend and would never take responsibility for it. Supposedly PJ looked into it but I don't believe it at all, they never questioned me about anything. Like I said all of the witnesses were football players so of course they were going to save his ass. The reason why I took him into live with me is because he got evicted twice over the summer and working for the team at the time thought to "follow the culture" like I was instructed and took him in as family. Wasn't till a few months later that the head AT said it was "unprofessional" for me to be living with him and wouldn't allow me to explain the situation after the assistants knew and were fine with it. I tried to contact PJ about it but couldn't get to him. Overall the whole situation is F'd up and I wish never would have happened, but I have lost all respect for PJ Fleck and Minnesota athletics..

I’m not calling you a liar but I don’t believe this. And why are you on a fan board if you don’t respect Gopher athletics? Good story though.

I’m not sure I follow why you didn’t pursue the police charges/order due to wanting to avoid controversy and further issues but you’re posting these allegations on a public forum. I’d probably delete that and take it up with the coaching staff, and/or the police.

You can believe whatever you want, this is why I didn't come out with the story right away because I knew assholes like you wouldn't believe anything I said because it's so not the public image of shannon. I can show you the email threatening eviction if you really want. lol

I’m not sure I follow why you didn’t pursue the police charges/order due to wanting to avoid controversy and further issues but you’re posting these allegations on a public forum. I’d probably delete that and take it up with the coaching staff, and/or the police.

I did pursue them but there "wasn't enough evidence" aka all of the witnesses where football players. I didn't pursue the order because when I got to the court house I wasn't being represented by anyone and he had Lee Hutton, for my family and my own wellbeing, and mental health we did a verbal agreement as I didn't have representation, and my family doesn't have the money to go up against the University of Minnesota Athletic department. I tried contacting coach fleck but no one would let me get to him, none of the assistants cared.

The reason I'm posting it on here is to have a different viewpoint for others to consider of what happened, whether they want to believe it or not, and to get it off of my chest as it personally has been a large burden.

Even if you are who you say you are, and what you say is the truth ... posting on gopherhole.com is the least helpful thing you can do for yourself.

gopherfan007: How did you end up living with these people you can't stand? And are you still living with them?

Last edited:

Even if you are who you say you are, and what you say is the truth ... posting on gopherhole.com is the least helpful thing you can do for yourself.

Yeah I gotta agree with 4life. Assuming this is the actual roommate and this is what happened, the last thing you need is a couple of these posters tearing into you for disrupting their view of the world. I would stay off this site and seek resolution elsewhere. Good Luck.

Interesting thread. Assuming true, I am sorry you have gone through this.

Kavanaugh's accusers sounded legit until they weren't. There are a ton of services (for little to no cost) you can get in Hennepin County to address your issue 007. Looking for relief or validation here is simply the wrong place.

Hopefully everyone learned from this. Back to the original post by a pretty nice retired guy. I don't recommend punching a peace officer. Did he really think he was going to get away with that?

You can believe whatever you want, this is why I didn't come out with the story right away because I knew assholes like you wouldn't believe anything I said because it's so not the public image of shannon. I can show you the email threatening eviction if you really want. lol

You sound like a ****** and you probably piss off the athletes.

Being skeptical doesn't make someone an asshole.

Anybody can claim to be anybody behind a keyboard. Im not saying you are or aren't his roommate. Just that you can't blame someone for not taking what you said as Gospel and pointing out you haven't given proof of your identity.

Last edited:

Didn't see brooks name in the title of this thread anywhere.. Kind of sounds like this 007 yahoo is butt hurt about something.

Guarantee if 007 was posting happy thoughts no one would doubt his identity.

No clue if he is who he says he is, but for anyone paying attention the inconsistencies in enforcing The Culture has already been proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only witnesses were football players so of course Brooks got away with it. Roomate was punched and Brooks kept threatening roomate that he'd have his "people" come shoot and kill him if he called the cops after Brooks took his phone away while being restrained by 3 teammates. Roomate had an emergency OFP against Brooks but he tried to protest it in court with representation by Lee Hutton so roomate didn't want to put himself or his family through that process and dropped it.

That's YOUR story.

What I heard was way different.

(I didn't actually hear anything. I just have to trust that Fleck is making the right judgements. If he isn't, he'll be looking for new work if he isn't making the best judgements.)

I guess the Gophers are getting another scholarship back?

Guarantee if 007 was posting happy thoughts no one would doubt his identity.

No clue if he is who he says he is, but for anyone paying attention the inconsistencies in enforcing The Culture has already been proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once again tremendous courage displayed by you. Not afraid to stand up and let the The Culture know GHole won’t be fooled.

Top Bottom