Jerry Kill named athletic director at Southern Illinois

1) hope he stays healty

2) wonder if he’ll go after any of his same crew to be HC. It’s a tough, tough league. IL State is currently top dog in Illinois in that league. SIU hasn’t mattered in a while.

Does this pave the way for Tracy Claeys to be a head coach again?

I don’t anything about anything but I’d guess going from DC at Wazzu to head coach at SIU is a pay cut

It's hard for an FCS school to pay a Head Coach what an FBS Co-Ordinator makes.

Unless he just really, really wants to work for Jerry again - I highly doubt it. He would take a substantial pay cut from his current role.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, it's who he is. if serving as athletic director allows him to turn boys into men, then that's what he'll do.

Good for coach getting back to some of his roots. Could be a good fit.

Good for Jerry! He'd still be here had he stayed healthy. Sounds like he has his epilepsy under control, I hope he can keep that going. He was a good football coach and I have zero doubt he'll leave SIU in a better position than he found it, just like he did with us.

ol' jer is a ball coach. it's in his blood, it's who he is. if serving as athletic director allows him to turn boys into men, then that's what he'll do.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Unless he just really, really wants to work for Jerry again - I highly doubt it. He would take a substantial pay cut from his current role.

Yeah, I won't be shocked one bit if many of Jerry's football hires come from his pool of coaches that were with him forever while he was a head coach. I am sure if Claeys wanted to be a head coach there he would be at the top of Kill's list but tough to say if that is what he really wants or if he is happy being a high level DC.

Sawvel might be a name to watch. Wouldn't shock me to see him resurface at SIU under Kill.

Coach Kill is a very able man, and he may excel at this job or he might merely succeed. But he won't be a failure.

Best wishes for good luck and great success, coach!

Coach Kill is a very able man, and he may excel at this job or he might merely succeed. But he won't be a failure.

Best wishes for good luck and great success, coach!

Hopefully Jerry gets Southern IL to move up in Valley football pecking order, but it’s not the same league he used to run roughshot over.

Last edited:

Good for Jerry. Hopefully he stays healthy and does a good job.

Top Bottom