Tanner Morgan's Pace

Best not characterize it that way, because if you did, well, that would be absurd.

Or so I've been told.

It’s like calling a spade a spade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm.

Like calling a wet blanket a soggy piece of cloth.

Not long ago I was accused of wanting the Gophers to fail because my predictions of success were too high - now I’m a wet blanket because I don’t think our QBs are a “position of strength”.

Funny place here.

Not long ago I was accused of wanting the Gophers to fail because my predictions of success were too high - now I’m a wet blanket because I don’t think our QBs are a “position of strength”.

Funny place here.

Yes, funny. Almost like theater of the absurd!

:cool:

Exactly what I was gonna say. Held on to Smith too long, and should’ve started TM earlier.

Wish there would’ve been a way to know that for Maryland. But shouldve been for all of Nebraska for sure.

Does anyone remember why he hung onto Annexstad too long as starter? The one nonconference game I went to, Morgan came in at some point and absolutely stunk up the place. I think he put the ball on the ground like he did at least once in the spring game. I think the game was Miami, and we would have been better off putting one of the running backs under center when he came in. I'm not going to go back and look it up, but that's what I seem to remember. Maybe I'll get someone riled up enough that they'll look it up and prove me wrong?

Does anyone remember why he hung onto Annexstad too long as starter? The one nonconference game I went to, Morgan came in at some point and absolutely stunk up the place. I think he put the ball on the ground like he did at least once in the spring game. I think the game was Miami, and we would have been better off putting one of the running backs under center when he came in. I'm not going to go back and look it up, but that's what I seem to remember. Maybe I'll get someone riled up enough that they'll look it up and prove me wrong?

It seemed to me at the time that after PJ had waffled for so long naming a starter between TM and ZA that he made it a POINT that he was not going to be pulling the starter if they made a mistake.

I assumed he gave ZA every inch of leeway he could to prove it, as well as bolster Zack's confidence level.

It was apparent, to me anyway, that ZA was struggling and I was surprised that PJ was sticking with him at the time.

You could both be exactly right. In my opinion neither of those excuses not putting TM in earlier. Should’ve put him in the Maryland game for sure. Maybe the Iowa game too.

Maybe if he had done that, TM would’ve shown enough to be the starter for Nebraska. Of course, Robb Smith’s defense was so putrid that we know t wouldn’t have mattered.

Well, he only came in for a quarter or so, had a tipped pass interception, and went something like 1 for 5. Not impressive, but I said at the time it was such as small sample size it was really impossible to draw any conclusions.

The OL did improve, but ZA's pocket presence was atrocious. There were several times that he created the sack by leaving the pocket.

Again, just do not agree with you on this. Atrocious? Many threads and posts pointed out the lack of a pocket and time. With the line play at that time, ZA would have gotten killed had he not moved around like he did. Kid was trying to extend plays.

Well, he only came in for a quarter or so, had a tipped pass interception, and went something like 1 for 5. Not impressive, but I said at the time it was such as small sample size it was really impossible to draw any conclusions.

The amount of reps a QB gets in practice during the week makes all the difference. QB1 is going to take 75-80% of the practice reps. If/when the backup gets in a game, they are by default, less prepared. Going into the Indiana game, TM likely took all the practice reps and it showed on the field.

Again, just do not agree with you on this. Atrocious? Many threads and posts pointed out the lack of a pocket and time. With the line play at that time, ZA would have gotten killed had he not moved around like he did. Kid was trying to extend plays.

He needed to move up within the pocket. ZA's biggest issue was he tried to escape to the outside. The problem there is for one, you don't gain any yards going sideways and two, the you're no longer at the Oline's back. Unless you have excellent speed, you're not going to outrun the sack.

He needed to move up within the pocket. ZA's biggest issue was he tried to escape to the outside. The problem there is for one, you don't gain any yards going sideways and two, the you're no longer at the Oline's back. Unless you have excellent speed, you're not going to outrun the sack.

Not saying he never bailed early but go back and watch...there was no pocket to step into a majority of the time unless he wanted to step into a collapsing one. Pressure was coming from all angles a lot of the time. The line protection was very tenuous in those games.

Not saying he never bailed early but go back and watch...there was no pocket to step into a majority of the time unless he wanted to step into a collapsing one. Pressure was coming from all angles a lot of the time. The line protection was very tenuous in those games.

Sacks are going to happen. But when a QB leaves the pocket he has greatly reduced the chances of a positive outcome and compounds the problem by losing even more yards.

Sacks are going to happen. But when a QB leaves the pocket he has greatly reduced the chances of a positive outcome and compounds the problem by losing even more yards.

Bateman's first college TD in the Maryland game shows AZ staying in the pocket to the last moment to get the throw off then getting drilled. It was under 3 seconds from snap until he got hit by Schlueter's guy. Nice throw and catch. TJ's TD catch before halftime against Iowa is another example. ZA waited to the last moment in the pocket and a DL actually had his hands on ZA when making the throw...Schlueter's guy again.

Just a couple examples. Feels like some overlook the many plays like these when he used the pocket well under pressure.

Yeah Maryland and Iowa especially, Schlueter was struggling. TM had Faalele protecting him.

Funny place here.

People just know you suck and they will look for any angle to tell you that.

Top Bottom