Tanner Morgan's Pace

fmlizard

Reaction score
I was having a little fun with the all time passer table today at Sports-reference.com. Turns out that Captain Morgan would be the 6th highest rated QB in the history of the Big Ten if he had enough pass attempts to qualify. Consider that virtually all of his stats have come against quality P5 competition and have very little padding on them (and he of course is a freshman) and there might be something very special here.

I'm excited and don't think there's a serious QB competition this fall.

Reference: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/pass-rating-player-career.html

Morgan has put up good numbers and is 4-2 as a starter. I really think Gopher fans should be more excited about him too.

And he had committed to play for Fleck at W Michigan! They’d be mopping up the MAC if they’d stayed there.

I was having a little fun with the all time passer table today at Sports-reference.com. Turns out that Captain Morgan would be the 6th highest rated QB in the history of the Big Ten if he had enough pass attempts to qualify. Consider that virtually all of his stats have come against quality P5 competition and have very little padding on them (and he of course is a freshman) and there might be something very special here.

Reference: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/pass-rating-player-career.html

I like Morgan a lot as well. I'm really glad he followed Fleck here.

Admittedly he doesn't have the usual traits that us fans go crazy over, like a cannon for an arm or the running ability of J.T. Barrett. He's not 6'5'. He won't wow anybody with raw physical talent.

But he has moxie and smarts. If you watch video of the team after he took over, it really seemed to me that Tanner was an excellent fit.

That being said, I was also pretty impressed with Annexstad — especially before he got banged up.

The minimum cutoff of 700 pass attempts seems arbitrary and unnecessarily high. Guys often get only one or two years of starting (even if they're really good) just because they had to wait their turn behind an upperclassman. Dwayne Haskins, for example, would be #1 on this list (easily - by more than 20 points, or more than the margin between the current #1 and #32 players) but he "only" has 590 pass attempts. Troy Smith would also be #1 (or #2 behind Haskins, as it were), but he too "only" had 670 pass attempts.

AAK is #18 all-time. I’m not sure how good of a measure this is...

2018 FBS Yards Per Pass Attempt Leaders (min 150 attempts)

1) Kyler Murray, OKLA (11.6)
2) Tua Tagovailoa, BAMA (11.2)
3) Brock Purdy, Iowa St (10.2)
4) Will Grier, WV (9.7)
5) Jordan Ta'amu, MISS (9.4)
6) Ross Comis, UMASS (9.3)
7) Tanner Morgan, MINN (9.2)

2018 FBS Yards Per Pass Attempt Leaders (min 150 attempts)

1) Kyler Murray, OKLA (11.6)
2) Tua Tagovailoa, BAMA (11.2)
3) Brock Purdy, Iowa St (10.2)
4) Will Grier, WV (9.7)
5) Jordan Ta'amu, MISS (9.4)
6) Ross Comis, UMASS (9.3)
7) Tanner Morgan, MINN (9.2)

Pretty impressive.

The 247 site is about as plugged in as anone who covers Gophers...Burns says he thinks Annexstad is QB1.

The 247 site is about as plugged in as anone who covers Gophers...Burns says he thinks Annexstad is QB1.

If a healthy Annexstad with an improved offensive line is better than Morgan, then that bodes well for Gophers. Because I believe Morgan has established himself as an above average QB.

Impossible to know until spring. Guys can look great in winter workouts, and throwing against air. Put the pads on, get out on the field, let’s see what happens. Best player should get first crack at reps with #1 offense in fall camp.

Impossible to know until spring. Guys can look great in winter workouts, and throwing against air. Put the pads on, get out on the field, let’s see what happens. Best player should get first crack at reps with #1 offense in fall camp.

A lot can change between spring and fall, especially when you are talking about all young QBs.

The 247 site is about as plugged in as anyone who covers Gophers...Burns says he thinks Annexstad is QB1.

If he's truly better than Morgan, then so be it. But from what I've seen so far I'll take Morgan. PJ must really love Zach and I think playing him with 1 leg for as long as he did proves that.

Rivals and 247 both had Clark as a four-star...Rivals had him as 12th best pro style, 247 composite had him as 16th best.

Fun battle to watch over next six months.

Seth Green a great wildcat quarterback.

All the receivers return, plus we add Manns, Gibson, SpannFord, BrownStevens, Nnamdi, Potts to the mix. Maybe the USC transfer.

Morgan looked bad when he played against Miami. I was very concerned about our #2 QB at that time.

Then he got his chance and things started to click. Tanner was a very pleasant surprise the rest of the season.

IMO, going into Spring he has to be #1 and its his job to lose.

It appears that quarterback has become a position of strength, with good depth. Well done, P.J. Fleck and staff.

And it certainly looks as though the 2019 team will have a dominating offensive line, leading a powerful rushing attack. Obviously, our stable of backs is deep and talented. That always helps the QBs.

Then you add in a mostly young wide receiver corps that really started to come into their own last season.

Ciarocca's offensive scheme seems effective and creative.

I'm thinking we'll score some points this season.

A lot can change between spring and fall, especially when you are talking about all young QBs.

Spot on. AZ had a nice glimmer in Spring and was much improved by Fall. Like them both. My guess is AZ will make it a hard choice again for Fleck. Given the improved line and emergence of multiple WRs, would not be surprised if he ends up the starter at some point in 2019.

It appears that quarterback has become a position of strength, with good depth. Well done, P.J. Fleck and staff.

And it certainly looks as though the 2019 team will have a dominating offensive line, leading a powerful rushing attack. Obviously, our stable of backs is deep and talented. That always helps the QBs.

Then you add in a mostly young wide receiver corps that really started to come into their own last season.

No doubt improved at QB, but I need a bigger sample size the move towards thinking it is a position of strength.

<b>It appears that quarterback has become a position of strength, </b>with good depth. Well done, P.J. Fleck and staff.

The position is way ahead of where it was, and the staff deserves your kudos - but let’s not get carried away here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esp for QB's, I think that you don't know until they play in games. Until a QB gets game opportunities you never know. I think that with more PT Strevler would have had a very different Gopher career.

I like the starters on the o-line a lot. We still don't have depth which could derail us if there are injuries. Pretty much every back-up is an underclassmen with little to no game experience. How good are Schmitz, Sassack, Beier, Boe, etc? Who knows...

To me, it seems more like Burn's personal opinion and not based on inside info.

Burns is a famously spotty talent evaluator...but we all have our favorites. His bad calls get broadcast to the masses, or at least thousands. Hundreds?

I don’t know how you sit Morgan after the way he finished out the year. Very impressive display coming off the bench. With the caveat his protection was **** ZA looked pretty rough in terms of the deep ball, pocket presence for most of his tenure outside of that incredible scramble vs Fresno.

Certainly a lot of intrigue with ZA getting healthy and the two new guys coming in. I predict some lively arguing here after the spring game.

The position is way ahead of where it was, and the staff deserves your kudos - but let’s not get carried away here.

Oh, don't worry. This is Gopher Hole, after all! No one will get "carried away" on this particular "fan site".

On this subject alone, I've already had enough wet blankets thrown over me to put out a 5-alarm fire.

Rest assured we all know how to be "Minnesotan", and immediately tamp down any enthusiasm.

And if we play the Rowser, we'll play it very quietly.

Oh, don't worry. This is Gopher Hole, after all! No one will get "carried away" on this particular "fan site".

On this subject alone, I've already had enough wet blankets thrown over me to put out a 5-alarm fire.

Rest assured we all know how to be "Minnesotan", and immediately tamp down any enthusiasm.

And if we play the Rowser, we'll play it very quietly.

“Position of strength” is overstating it. Nothing more implied.

“Position of strength” is overstating it. Nothing more implied.

It's simply amazing to me that any show of enthusiasm on this site is immediately greeted with 3-4 variations of the "Hey, there... calm down, now" response.

I mean, immediately and without fail.

As I've said before, I'm a life-long Minnesotan, so you'd think I would know by now... but it still has me scratching my head sometimes.

The minimum cutoff of 700 pass attempts seems arbitrary and unnecessarily high. Guys often get only one or two years of starting (even if they're really good) just because they had to wait their turn behind an upperclassman. Dwayne Haskins, for example, would be #1 on this list (easily - by more than 20 points, or more than the margin between the current #1 and #32 players) but he "only" has 590 pass attempts. Troy Smith would also be #1 (or #2 behind Haskins, as it were), but he too "only" had 670 pass attempts.

What's your opinion on Tanner DP? You tend to be a stats are what the stats are kind of guy. Do you think this kid is as good as the stat story tells? Or do you anticipate that the "feeling's" around Tanner will be more in line with his tenure as a Gopher QB.

Personally I cannot erase what I feel my eyes see in him which has been some curious turnovers and the inability to throw a quality deep ball. I openly admit, however, that he's a college QB and I cant help but expect him to be a NFL caliber qb and I don't think that's fair or realistic.

I'd ride that hand as long as he's winning.

Burns is a famously spotty talent evaluator...but we all have our favorites. His bad calls get broadcast to the masses, or at least thousands. Hundreds?

I don’t know how you sit Morgan after the way he finished out the year. Very impressive display coming off the bench. With the caveat his protection was **** ZA looked pretty rough in terms of the deep ball, pocket presence for most of his tenure outside of that incredible scramble vs Fresno.

Certainly a lot of intrigue with ZA getting healthy and the two new guys coming in. I predict some lively arguing here after the spring game.

Burns works really hard at what he does and is very good at that and drawing interest in to gopher football which I absolutely love. Its good for the program. Breaking down talent or X's and O's isn't really his strength though. I get sick of seeing a "fast start" as the key to the game. Yeah we would love to open up with 7 too..lets talk about schemes or individual matchups.

Love Burns though and like I said he definitely plays a part and contributes to increasing interest in gopher football which is great.

It's simply amazing to me that any show of enthusiasm on this site is immediately greeted with 3-4 variations of the "Hey, there... calm down, now" response.

I mean, immediately and without fail.

As I've said before, I'm a life-long Minnesotan, so you'd think I would know by now... but it still has me scratching my head sometimes.

Enthusiasm has a whole spectrum, from minor to absurd. I believe he was just acknowledging that the comment was more on the absurd side of the enthusiasm spectrum.

What's your opinion on Tanner DP? You tend to be a stats are what the stats are kind of guy. Do you think this kid is as good as the stat story tells? Or do you anticipate that the "feeling's" around Tanner will be more in line with his tenure as a Gopher QB.

Personally I cannot erase what I feel my eyes see in him which has been some curious turnovers and the inability to throw a quality deep ball. I openly admit, however, that he's a college QB and I cant help but expect him to be a NFL caliber qb and I don't think that's fair or realistic.

I'd ride that hand as long as he's winning.

I think it’s rare enough for a senior college QB to play like that, let alone a 19 year old redshirt freshman.

Top Bottom