I still support Pitino!

How successful was he with Tubby's players? I thought the squad including two Hollins as a senior and junior should have been a tournament team, instead they ended up in the NIT.

Well Andre was hurt a number of games which didn't help

how was he successful with Tubby's players, does it have something to do with player development and fundamentals,

Yes. I have been arguing for a couple of years now that Pitino and his staff are terrible player development coaches. Of course, I have received the "Anyone who doesn't think Pitino is a good player development coach is _____ (insert lazy man's preferred dismissal slur of the moment, e.g., a moron, crazy, blind)" from the usual suspects.

Also, he was successful with Tubby's players for one year. The second year was another signature underachievement. Not improving, or even deteriorating, under Pitino over time has been a familiar occurrence throughout his time here. I would also add that, in his first year, he had a team leader (Austin Hollins) of a caliber he's never has been able to replicate. Perhaps Pitino doesn't like sharing power with players so he feels grooming leaders is counter productive.

How successful was he with Tubby's players? I thought the squad including two Hollins as a senior and junior should have been a tournament team, instead they ended up in the NIT.

Honestly, I thought he did well enough in his first year. As much as I liked the Hollins duo (particularly Austin) neither one of them was a real point guard and Pitino did bring in a point guard who was mostly much better than expected that year. I think that would have been a tournament team if Pitino could have gotten that other power forward (a Louisville transfer) from Florida Atlantic approved. Having Joey King play the four was a big hole in the lineup.

Six seasons. Poor recruiting class and poor big ten seasons. This feels eerily similar to the Monson departure. Its Hurt or bust for Pitino.

The 2020 guys will still come here (if they were going to) if we get a good coach after the season.

I feel like the title of this thread is like a GM giving the kiss of death by supporting the coach. He gone.

I still support Pitino!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Six seasons. Poor recruiting class and poor big ten seasons. This feels eerily similar to the Monson departure. Its Hurt or bust for Pitino.

The 2020 guys will still come here (if they were going to) if we get a good coach after the season.

Yes and no. Monson lost the fans. Pitino hasn't yet. The Barn was a very boring place to be during the Monson years (end of them). Pitino is heading in that direction.

Yes and no. Monson lost the fans. Pitino hasn't yet. The Barn was a very boring place to be during the Monson years (end of them). Pitino is heading in that direction.
Monson's teams completely quit. Pitino's teams fight very hard for 40 minutes. They are not checked out. They are not overtly dismissing him (IW excepted?). The Clemson game - Monson's last game - was the worst basketball game I maybe ever saw, in terms of fight, engagement of the players, etc. It was the icing on the cake of a lot of that going on for the past year.

Pitino's kids seem to still want to play. HUGE difference.

Anyone ever hear what the players think of Pitino? If I s been covered sorry for asking.

Anyone ever hear what the players think of Pitino? If I s been covered sorry for asking.

I don’t think any player is going to come out and say fire Pitino he’s a terrible coach. That’s like GopherLady asking IW if he’s going to transfer.

I don’t think any player is going to come out and say fire Pitino he’s a terrible coach. That’s like GopherLady asking IW if he’s going to transfer.
But would their on court play say anything?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

To a degree. I would expect a coach would be able to motivate his team and inspire them to play hard. There has been a lot of uninspired Gopher basketball as of late. Where’s the fire? Where’s the desire to win? You’d expect your seniors and upperclassmen to be leaders, and it seems Oturu and GK are the ones playing to the end. Just how I feel.

Sure, but for the vast majority of every game the guys have played hard. More concerned by the lack of a cohesive toughness. Like many teams these guys let bad shooting drag them down and fall off defensively. Pitino even admitted it ! That is coaching, that is when you dig in and fight for every possession and sometimes survive. Good teams survive it often. What we can not know is how close the team is because if they are in it all the way they will rebound and win their way into the tourney. We have hints of good and bad chemistry. Good was obvious with Dupree family situation. Bad is bad body language with IW and Coffee but i would not pay that great attention as it may just how they deal with frustration. I can say i do not like it and that it is my belief it is the coaches job to get it stopped. Losing wears on everyone and 6 of 7 is a terrible bloe but winners are revealed with how you handle yourself and respond.

To a degree. I would expect a coach would be able to motivate his team and inspire them to play hard. There has been a lot of uninspired Gopher basketball as of late. Where’s the fire? Where’s the desire to win? You’d expect your seniors and upperclassmen to be leaders, and it seems Oturu and GK are the ones playing to the end. Just how I feel.

I don’t think there has been any problem with fire or desire to win. These guys are still playing had, just get into bad shooting slumps.

I do feel Richard is a good coach and would have a much different year with Carr be cleared. Additionally I think he leans on it as an excuse but having Curry out was a tough hit. Curry is just now getting into season shape and he is one of our top 5 players, and our best passing big. That being said.....

I feel like he has regressed, I suspect Johnson had more input during in-game play-calling and decisions than I may have thought. Little things like not switching Gabe off of guarding the Rutgers guard despite having 4 fouls. Or running NO offensive sets that offer consistent screens off the ball. Or how for the life of me, we can't get an open look despite every team doubling Murphy. That's on Coaching.

Last edited:

I do feel Richard is a good coach and would have a much different year with Carr be cleared. Additionally I think he leans on it as an excuse but having Curry out was a tough hit. Curry is just now getting into season shape and he is one of our top 5 players, and our best passing big. That being said.....

I feel like he has regressed, I suspect Johnson had more input during in-game play-calling and decisions than I may have thought. Little things like not switching Gabe off of guarding the Rutgers guard despite having 4 fouls. Or running NO offensive sets that offer consistent screens off the ball. Or how for the life of me, we can't get an open look despite every team doubling Murphy. That's on Coaching.

Of all the things to criticize Pitino for, i don't think an inability to get open looks is one of them. One if the big frustrations with this team has been how many open shots they miss, but they are getting those looks.

Top Bottom