Fake Recruit Catfishes Recruiting Websites

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
Embarrassing for Rivals, and calls into question how they actually rank players.

A few high school students got the best of a few college football recruiting websites recently, after creating a fake prospect in an attempt to fool everyone.

Rivals.com picked up on the story and listed Carrienger as a three-star prospect. Another recruiting site, 247Sports, listed him in its composite rankings but did not provide its own evaluation of the player.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

More important question is, did we offer?

Ha! I'm busted. Still won't be surprised if this devolves into a Stars matter vs no they don't thread.

Yeah I tried to get it going that way but isn't working out so far. I thought about going with the "great another thread about stars and if they matter or not" but spiced it up a little instead.

Yeah I tried to get it going that way but isn't working out so far. I thought about going with the "great another thread about stars and if they matter or not" but spiced it up a little instead.

I thought everyone switched to dots not stars?

I’ve always been big into the idea of, just because the internet says someone has an offer doesn’t mean they do.

I thought everyone switched to dots not stars?

dots-mini-box5.png

41fCoFphZTL.jpg

I just think it is amazing they found the one rater that doesn’t personally watch each player and use their elite knowledge and evaluation to assign their rating. It has been made clear to me that is how it is done - never on offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Not surprising this can happen. There are so many players it is impossible for the sites to truly evaluate everyone. Lots of players get actual evaluations but I am sure there are many that have their star ranking based on their height, weight, and who is recruiting them.

A 247 scout stated 10 percent of their rating algorith is offers.

I think that is fair, obviously not the case for Rivals though, because 1 offer wouldn't get you to 3 stars at 10% weight. Even if it was from Bama.

Seems like a 5.5 is the default starting point for recruits that haven’t been evaluated and with power 5 offers. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. A 5.5 is their lowest three star. Personally I trust Rivals slightly more than 247 based on nothing more than some very wierd ratings undulations and what I perceive to be very active lobbying efforts at times.

Reminds me of Taro Tsujimoto.

It seems like a big part of recruiting ratings is rosters and hype. If there are two equally rated recruits, one with a ton of P5 offers and one with only one or two, odds are the second is better and the first has inflated ratings from all of the teams recruiting him.

Not a great look for 247 but man does this make Rivals look bad

Would have made them look way worse if they had given him a more specific rating rather than the default, lowest starting point for a high major recruit.

Would have made them look way worse if they had given him a more specific rating rather than the default, lowest starting point for a high major recruit.

I would say even having a “default rating” looks bad.

I wonder what Manti Te'o's girlfriend thinks about this?

Then how come the schools that are consistently the best almost always have the highest rated classes?

Because ratings are based largely on offer lists? That would explain this hoax as well.

Top Bottom