Should Amir Coffey been called for a foul on the last play?

Should Amir been called for a foul?

• No, Amir should not have been called for a foul

Votes: 66 77.6%
  • Yes, Amir should have been called for a foul

Votes: 19 22.4%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
What say you GopherHole?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What say you GopherHole?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I say corral the rebound and make it a moot point.

Do not drain the clock all the way down on the previous offensive possession, thus ensuring no chance once the Huskers retook the lead.

Sometimes you get the calls (ie McBrayer vs Penn St) sometimes you don't.

was it a questionable call? yes
was it a foul? yes

real time I thought it was a foul right away....slow motion it was questionable but IMO it was a foul

Do not drain the clock all the way down on the previous offensive possession, thus ensuring no chance once the Huskers retook the lead.

Sometimes you get the calls (ie McBrayer vs Penn St) sometimes you don't.

yes! have some court awareness and get the dang rebound the play before

was it a questionable call? yes
was it a foul? yes

real time I thought it was a foul right away....slow motion it was questionable but IMO it was a foul

Completely agree with this.

Was wondering about the out of bounds call before it though. Did the ball hit out of bounds before we touched it?. Wouldn't it have been our ball then?. Was a scrum so hard to tell and they didn't look very close at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes you get the calls (ie McBrayer vs Penn St)sometimes you don't.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty good point...

37E5C9F5-62FE-4405-A8A8-21DF508BEDB5.jpg

Dont think it was a foul, but also dont think it was as ridiculous as we want to characterize it. Time and score should not affect the call, and were this call made earlier in the game, we would have been annoyed but not outraged. Coffey did leave his feet, and while he got mostly back to vertical at the point of contact, he wasn't completely vertical and was reaching. Some go your way, some don't. Bet we could analyze every foul/no call all game and find ones that went our way.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty good point...

View attachment 5998

Actually incredible how the universe has evened this out:

Screwed:
Michigan shot clock (would’ve gone to OT)
Nebraska Coffey foul (99% win if not called)

Helped?:
McBrayer “fouled” against PSU (would’ve gone to OT)
Gabe might’ve traveled twice before Washington winner (99% loss if called)

It was pretty clear Palmer jumped into Coffey and initiated contact, but getting a call is why you do that right?

Coffey was overpersuing and left himself open to being exploited. He should have stayed on the floor.

It was pretty clear Palmer jumped into Coffey and initiated contact, but getting a call is why you do that right?

Coffey was overpersuing and left himself open to being exploited. He should have stayed on the floor.

Yeah, it seems like if you get a defender in the air, you almost always get the call, regardless of who "initiated" the contact. I'd like to see that changed more globally.

Watching it over and over in slow motion. Both players are on the ground when contact is initiated. Palmer is clearly leaning into Coffey and Coffey is playing positional defense and had not yet arrested his motion towards Palmer. This is therefore, a foul. Correct defense would have moved Coffey a foot closer to the basket so he could elevate and block/obscure Palmer's view. A player who regularly goes for blocks would have played it this way.

Also, really bad positional defense for denying a player the ball on an inbounds pass. Maybe Kalesheur or McBrayer could have covered him better? Or anyone who hadn't played all 40 minutes of the game?

Last edited:

Watching it over and over in slow motion. Both players are on the ground when contact is initiated. Palmer is clearly leaning into Coffey and Coffey is playing positional defense and had not yet arrested his motion towards Palmer. This is therefore, a foul. Correct defense would have moved Coffey a foot closer to the basket so he could elevate and block/obscure Palmer's view. A player who regularly goes for blocks would have played it this way.

Also, really bad positional defense for denying a player the ball on an inbounds pass. Maybe Kalesheur or McBrayer could have covered him better? Or anyone who hadn't played all 40 minutes of the game?

The Nebraska player admitted that he jumped into Amir. The problem as I have lamented earlier. The player gets the disappointment, the Coach gets fined or suspended but the poor official gets a new contract for next year. Sorry but that’s the way it is.

Also when palmer makes contact with coffey, coffeys arms are not straight up. Thats a foul. Now if coffey stayed on the floor and had his arms straight in the air then it might have been different story.

If Coffey doesn’t jump it’s a no call. I have no idea why he jumped and jumped somewhat backwards at that. Stand straight up with arms extended and the ref swallows his whistle. If he does that and the ref blows his whistle then we can start burning cars in the street and riot.

Palmer bobbles the ball catching it. Should he have been called for traveling?

Should Kalesheur come over for the strip?

Offensive foul if any...Palmer initiated the contact. but it should have been a no call

If Coffey doesn’t jump it’s a no call. I have no idea why he jumped and jumped somewhat backwards at that. Stand straight up with arms extended and the ref swallows his whistle. If he does that and the ref blows his whistle then we can start burning cars in the street and riot.

No, you're allowed to jump if you maintain verticality.

Last edited:

Some people in this thread don't seem to understand the rules of verticality. The defender absolutely is allowed to jump without a foul being called, even if there is contact.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf

Some quotes from the NCAA 2018-19 rule book:

- The space that a player may legally occupy is defined by an imaginary cylinder surrounding the player and which extends from the floor to as far above the player as he can jump or extend his arms and body.

- The hands and arms of the defender may be raised within his vertical plane while the defender is on the playing court or in the air.

- The defender shall not be penalized for leaving the playing court vertically or having his hands and arms extended within the vertical plane

- The offensive player, whether on the playing court or airborne, shall not “clear out” or cause contact that is not incidental.

You can debate whether or not it was a foul on Amir, but a lot of people are saying it was a foul based on reasoning that is incorrect.

Last edited:

Palmer started in the lane and ran around a screen that Coffey had to fight to get around. He was in as good a position as he could have been. He fights under that screen and Palmer floats back and gets an open jumper from a better angle. Also, Coffey doesn't always go for blocks. Good defenders like him are taught to get up as close to the shooter as you can. Watch any game when a guy picks up a dribble, the defender doesn't back away to block it, he always steps up into the shooter to prevent him from taking a shot with good form. With only 1 sec. to go, Coffey played it right as Palmer wouldn't have had time to dribble by and shoot. Palmer initiated the contact as you stated therefore it should have been a no call.

Last edited:

Your question might as well be, "are you just a troll on this site or are you actually a Gophers fan?" No neutral person or gopher fan would say it should've been a foul. Only a troll would say that.

No, you're allowed to jump if you maintain verticality.

I wasn't arguing what the letter of the rule is, I was saying that in practice I see a lot of vertical defenses get hit with fouls when they leave their feet and a shooter jumps sideways into them. It's wrong, but it happens.

I wasn't arguing what the letter of the rule is, I was saying that in practice I see a lot of vertical defenses get hit with fouls when they leave their feet and a shooter jumps sideways into them. It's wrong, but it happens.

My bad, I should have replied to a different post. You're right.

Exactly. I would kill to see the Gophers run an inbounds pass that gets a shooter a look like this. I cannot remember if Coffey was picked to create the space for Palmer or if Palmer just had a good cut to the baseline and Coffey was hedging he was going towards the top of the key, but how do you let him catch the pass from 12 feet like that?

Exactly. I would kill to see the Gophers run an inbounds pass that gets a shooter a look like this. I cannot remember if Coffey was picked to create the space for Palmer or if Palmer just had a good cut to the baseline and Coffey was hedging he was going towards the top of the key, but how do you let him catch the pass from 12 feet like that?

We had one last night where Oturu was standing alone under the basket for a second or so and the passer didn't pick it up. Maybe the angle wasn't there.

Also, if this were not the end of the game, it is unlikely Palmer even shoots that shot. It wasn't actually a good look. He would have passed it back out to the wing.

Last edited:

Palmer bobbles the ball catching it. Should he have been called for traveling?

Should Kalesheur come over for the strip?

Watson traveled on the pass in! Watch his feet.

Ok but then did McBrayer foul the guy in the Penn State game?

Thought the same thing last night. In the Penn State game, McBrayer was given a gift foul, the kind of calls you normally get at home -- just like last night.

Watching the previous shot neither McBrayer nor the ball appear to hit out of bounds. Oturu was out of bounds but I don't think he touches the ball then.

Top Bottom