Gopher basketball starting over

I’m a supporter through thick and thin.

That being said, I hate turnover, because of the old “grass is always greener” theory doesn’t always work out.

Pitino has not had the success any of us wanted. Yep, he probably should be let go.

But, I would never, ever Pitinos passion and desire to do what’s best for the program. Also, all indications are he’s a good guy. That being said, of course, your evaluated on performance...which has been questionable at best.

The fact that some come on after the emotional loss last night, literally giddy over the fact he will be gone is pathetic. I looked at those posts and of course, about half are not even regular posters. They come here for the drama and to create it. They could give a rats ass about the program as a whole only ready to watch someone else’s misery. If you don’t think emotionally it would upset Pitino and most of the players he recruited, you’re an idiot.

He probably needs to win 3 more games and 2 in the B1G tourney to keep his job (which will get us in the dance). If you think he doesn’t know that...again, you’re an idiot and a drama queen.

Other than IW do you think anyone else will transfer if he leaves? I do. I think a couple of them will. If it happens it will be a nightmare season next year...but I imagine that will be ok for some of the trolls who like that stuff.

We have 3 winnable games coming up. We need to be 100% behind the players AND the coach!

Ski-U-Mah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That being said, I hate turnover, because of the old “grass is always greener” theory doesn’t always work out.

Pitino has not had the success any of us wanted. Yep, he probably should be let go.

But, I would never, ever Pitinos passion and desire to do what’s best for the program. Also, all indications are he’s a good guy. That being said, of course, your evaluated on performance...which has been questionable at best.

The fact that some come on after the emotional loss last night, literally giddy over the fact he will be gone is pathetic. I looked at those posts and of course, about half are not even regular posters. They come here for the drama and to create it. They could give a rats ass about the program as a whole only ready to watch someone else’s misery. If you don’t think emotionally it would upset Pitino and most of the players he recruited, you’re an idiot.

He probably needs to win 3 more games and 2 in the B1G tourney to keep his job (which will get us in the dance). If you think he doesn’t know that...again, you’re an idiot and a drama queen.

Other than IW do you think anyone else will transfer if he leaves? I do. I think a couple of them will. If it happens it will be a nightmare season next year...but I imagine that will be ok for some of the trolls who like that stuff.

We have 3 winnable games coming up. We need to be 100% behind the players AND the coach!

Ski-U-Mah

Oh, shut up you fascist dolt. We can feel whatever we like and you can take a flying leap off the moon. The fact that we post here regularly and have watched every (or almost every) game for years should be clear evidence that we care about the program. We want a better program and that's why we no longer want Pitino.

Oh, shut up you fascist dolt. We can feel whatever we like and you can take a flying leap off the moon. The fact that we post here regularly and have watched every (or almost every) game for years should be clear evidence that we care about the program. We want a better program and that's why we no longer want Pitino.

You found fascism in my post? Too funny. Have a great day!

Who will transfer if he stays? He had such a short bench last night! You telling me IW couldn't get ten minutes of run out there? Stull only guard to play off bench. That's just plain nuts! IW must be in the doghouse for something.

That's just plain nuts! IW must be in the doghouse for something.

Throughout his time here, Pitino has seemed to pick some player to humiliate. First it was Elliot, then it was Morris, then it was Buggs,, and now it's Washington. Perhaps he think this is effective leadership. He is wrong.

Ski-U-Mah

This^^

Who will transfer if he stays? He had such a short bench last night! You telling me IW couldn't get ten minutes of run out there? Stull only guard to play off bench. That's just plain nuts! IW must be in the doghouse for something.

IW played 2 minutes. Doesn’t get over a screen and Pitino yanks him...IW was walking to the bench, he knew. It was encouraging towards the end of the game though he was hyping up players during a time out. But, I guess I agree with most, I think he’ll take his talents elsewhere.

Ski-U-Mah

I agree with this. And I'd like to add that I don't think it's possible for someone to really be a supporter of the team if they're calling the players and/or coach derogatory names. Hopefully, the genuine fans can see through that nonsense.

Reasons to fire pitino:. Lousy record, recruiting, etc.

Reasons to keep pitino: buy out, other than that I don't have a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IW played 2 minutes. Doesn’t get over a screen and Pitino yanks him...IW was walking to the bench, he knew. It was encouraging towards the end of the game though he was hyping up players during a time out. But, I guess I agree with most, I think he’ll take his talents elsewhere.

He didn't get over a screen and he dribbled around while the shot clock ran out (of course McBrayer then sunk a three a half second too late). It is so frustrating with IW because his potential ability is needed so badly on this team. He makes the offense run better when he is dialed in.

Monson wasn't a Big Ten caliber coach, Tubby pretty much checked out by his third season, not a very good sample size in my mind, get a good coach and they can win.
Monson was a good coach...he was handcuffed by sanctions for most of his tenure. Tubby did give up.

A new coach will set the program back 2 years unless you qe hire coach K or the like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That decision may have had less to do with Coyle than with others. People should remember that athletic directors are not the popes of universities. They are still under the authority of the president's office. They also pay close attention to the behaviors of donors and the trend of athletic department receipts. If Pitino is fired, that action may be influenced by people other than Coyle.

Agree. I also wonder how much athletic directors have their ear to the ground regarding recruiting. I would hope that the outlook of recruiting, one way or the other, would be a veey large determiner of any Coyle decision.I know that we need to recruit nationally, but we also have some highly rated recruits upcoming and important that we have success attracting some of those as we did with last year's class.

Good post.

The worst thing that happened to us was hiring a great coach like Tubby Smith and him not getting it done. Now we are the only place that Hall of Fame coach Tubby Smith couldn't win at. Not once did he get above .500. Minnesota ended Musselman's college coaching career, it ended Dutcher's coaching career, it ended Haskin's coaching career. Monson dropped to a lower level. Tubby had to go to a basement team. It's not easy here. The best coaches we ever had took high risk players to try to get it done and got burned with sanctions or scandals.

This coach was supposed to be the long term play that gave us stability. Those calling for him to be fired are not wrong, but the next coach may not be the answer either. I HOPE HE IS! Pitino is wishing he had taken that Bama job right about now...if it was ever offered.
Tubby was never a great coach...never

A new coach will set the program back 2 years

Doesn't the program already feel set back by two years?? From the 2016-2017 season.

I fail to see your reasoning .... unless you're arguing that Pitino leaving will cause a mass exodus of players.

Last edited:

the best way to get long term sustained success is to have a long term coach. Very few programs can do it switching coaches every few years

As was quickly and correctly pointed out in post #2 .... you have this backwards.

- coaches who have long term success .... got to stay at the program long term because they were successful
- and it's not like schools plan to fire coaches every few years ... they do it for a reason, either lack of winning or some kind of scandal
- OR the coach starts having success and is plucked away by another program

Matt McMahon from Murray State seems like he'd be a good target. He's got a top 3 pick in NBA this year. Small enough program where we'd have a chance at him

Coyle didnt hesitate to make a move with the football program when he saw it necessary so I believe he will do the same with bb when he thinks it is needed. He certainly has way more information and input than anyone else, so I'll trust his judgment either way.

I have been thinking the same thing. I have complete faith in Mark Coyle to make the right hire.

Doesn't the program already feel set back by two years?? From the 2016-2017 season.

I fail to see your reasoning .... unless you're arguing that Pitino leaving will cause a mass exodus of players.
It will happen...in players leaving...recruiting...learning new Offense...ect.

Throughout his time here, Pitino has seemed to pick some player to humiliate. First it was Elliot, then it was Morris, then it was Buggs,, and now it's Washington. Perhaps he think this is effective leadership. He is wrong.

Two Tubby guys and two Pitino guys- all with low basketball court sense at times. Tubby had Devron Bostick, Chip Armelin, Devoe Joseph, Justin Cobb and Iverson who he couldn't get to. Monson had Pryz among others. Clem had a number of them too. It is hard to say who is to blame in these situations. Anytime a player fails it is a coaching failure in part: communication, recruiting error or failure to develop. Some of it is on the player. Players transfer every year from most every program and a lot of it relates to these issues- the coach and the player not connecting or a lack of a system fit. I don't think Pitino stands out as a coach that has this problem. But right now- he is NOT WINNING and that is bad.

Everybody is ticked off at not winning. So now people are sitting here picking everything about the coach apart because the perfect coach is a panacea.

When's football season start?

I don't think anyone roots for the team to lose so Pitino will lose his job. That is silly talk. All of us want the team to win. Most of us want the team to win with Pitino. Hell, a young guy with a big name, he's likeable, somewhat of a "cool" guy. Who wouldn't want him to win? Pitino lead gophers reach sweet sixteen. Everyone wants to see those headlines.

And I never said you did. But a lot of fans are happy we lost because it might get Pitino fired.

I don't think those who are happy about the Gophers losing and wishing Pitino would get fired would necessarily be fans. On the football board there were a lot of new accounts that showed up when Fleck's team was struggling, and they were very vocal about how he stunk. I think the same thing happens on the basketball board.
I hate coaching changes as well, but I have confidence in Coyle and have to think that if he is thinking about making a change that he is working behind the scenes now to line up a candidate.

Last edited:

Monson was a good coach...he was handcuffed by sanctions for most of his tenure. Tubby did give up.

A new coach will set the program back 2 years unless you qe hire coach K or the like.

It will happen...in players leaving...recruiting...learning new Offense...ect.

I'm not sure what the program would be set back two years FROM. A run of NCAA tournament appearances? An identity or culture that has taken time to build and will be blown up? A young team trending in the right direction? Everybody is debating reasons to fire Pitino, but what are the reasons to keep him?

Your concerns seem flimsy. Learning a new offense? Good. (This isn't football, changing from the wishbone to West Coast.) Recruiting? We have one guy signed for 2019 and there's still time for 2020. Players leaving? Who? Coffey could grad transfer, that would hurt for one year. Gabe, Oturu and Carr are the only others who matter; I don't see them leaving, although I could be wrong.

I'm not sure what the program would be set back two years FROM. A run of NCAA tournament appearances? An identity or culture that has taken time to build and will be blown up? A young team trending in the right direction? Everybody is debating reasons to fire Pitino, but what are the reasons to keep him?

Your concerns seem flimsy. Learning a new offense? Good. (This isn't football, changing from the wishbone to West Coast.) Recruiting? We have one guy signed for 2019 and there's still time for 2020. Players leaving? Who? Coffey could grad transfer, that would hurt for one year. Gabe, Oturu and Carr are the only others who matter; I don't see them leaving, although I could be wrong.
My concerns are irrelevant.... it will happen.

I thought I could still support Pitino but after watching last night I am sick of watching a third grade offense of passing it to Murphy and watching him spend 5-10 seconds backing his defender into the paint only to turn right into a double or triple team and put a garbage shot up. Zero adjustments or decent offense. No incoming recruits to be excited about. Average past recruiting classes (yes that includes the last one since only Oturo was highly rated or sought after). Cut our losses and get a decent coach.

I thought I could still support Pitino but after watching last night I am sick of watching a third grade offense of passing it to Murphy and watching him spend 5-10 seconds backing his defender into the paint only to turn right into a double or triple team and put a garbage shot up. Zero adjustments or decent offense. No incoming recruits to be excited about. Average past recruiting classes (yes that includes the last one since only Oturo was highly rated or sought after). Cut our losses and get a decent coach.

What do you think Gard does with Happ? They work the clock to get to that play. Isolate Happ and let him wheel and deal. He is a great passer and dribbler and that helps the process work.

What do you think Gard does with Happ? They work the clock to get to that play. Isolate Happ and let him wheel and deal. He is a great passer and dribbler and that helps the process work.

Doesn't work for us obviously. Are you seriously defending that garbage?. What a terrible take.

I think what is most revealing is that even during Clem's years, this program dating back to Jim Dutcher has largely been very consistent as a middle-lower tier Big Ten Team.

It's just who we are. It's hard to believe a change in coaching is really going to matter much.

When Tubby was at the end of his string, we all thought things couldn't get much worse and could only get better, but in reality it's just been the same.

Same with Clem, (except 1997), same with Monson, same with Tubby, same with Dutcher (except 1982).

I think what is most revealing is that even during Clem's years, this program dating back to Jim Dutcher has largely been very consistent as a middle-lower tier Big Ten Team.

It's just who we are. It's hard to believe a change in coaching is really going to matter much.

When Tubby was at the end of his string, we all thought things couldn't get much worse and could only get better, but in reality it's just been the same.

Same with Clem, (except 1997), same with Monson, same with Tubby, same with Dutcher (except 1982).

Not that much different in college football. There are just teams that are at the tip-top, and have done whatever it is that they needed to do in the past in order to get there ....... and the momentum of all the things, just makes it almost impossible for any team to get there and SUSTAIN being there, if they're not already there.

Yup

No one would come here after the clem scandal. It lingers to this very day.

Ridiculous. Monson was a hot coach when we got him and Tubby could have gone to other power 5 jobs from Kentucky.

Top Bottom