Pitino's post game presser after Nebraska game

Indiana: losers of 9 of 10 games. You are at home. It doesn't get much easier

Kiss.
Of.
Death.

Will say that if we blow this game, I do hope Coyle has the guts to fire him right then and there. Don't let it go to the end of the season.

Really don't know how you fix that issue outside of having robots ref games, can't really take the human element out of it regardless of hard you try.

What do you program the robot to look for, to determine if it was a "real" foul on the shot or not??

Maybe the real solution is to just get rid shot fouls all together. Let them tackle guys when shooting. If you get an open look, fine, if not, that's what it is. Huge, fundamental change to the game ... so will never happen.

Last edited:

No kidding. He is a not a smart coach.

He was much smarter when Murphy did the same thing successfully three other times in the last 2:25 of play. On one of the plays he didn't score but Oturu got fouled and made two FTs.

This is just stupid stuff you guys.

Pitino's record is bad for a variety of reasons and there should be a discussion about whether he can be successful here going forward. But this picking apart his every move based on the plays the players made- is just downright stupid. If Murphy makes the basket no one ever says it's a bad play. Everyone congratulates Murphy and moves on.

He was much smarter when Murphy did the same thing successfully three other times in the last 2:25 of play. On one of the plays he didn't score but Oturu got fouled and made two FTs.

Pitino's record is bad for a variety of reasons and there should be a discussion about whether he can be successful here going forward. But this picking apart his every move based on the plays the players made- is just downright stupid. If Murphy makes the basket no one ever says it's a bad play. Everyone congratulates Murphy and moves on.

During that last four minute stretch when Murphy was the focal point, I literally thought to myself, “This is not offense.”

Yes he made some buckets; a couple of them were incredibly lucky. Luck runs out as we all witnessed on our final offensive possession. Nebraska is not a good team. The gopher’s end of game offense would not be effective against 90% of the big ten. Dump it into Murphy and hope for the best while everyone else sits around.

As soon as we began to run the stall offense, I knew how the game would end.

Huh?

13:30Gabe Kalscheur Block.12 - 4
13:25Daniel Oturu Defensive Rebound.12 - 4
13:22Amir Coffey made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Dupree McBrayer.15 - 4

Looks like he stuck with the starters for the first 7 minutes. Usually first subs, for a lot of teams are in before that. By the way, Murphy was still in as well at this point as he was involved a play or two later.....

Oh and by the way- what is this?:
10:19Matz Stockman made Dunk. Assisted by Jordan Murphy.19 - 8

All that bad subbing and we were still up 11 with 10 minutes gone.

Also- the starters played 33,34, 35, 36 and 39 minutes (Coffey). Murphy and Kalscheur both got 2 fouls and sat some in the first half.

Geez- stick to the truth- you don't have to exaggerate to make the case that you don't like Pitino.
Hey, some people are in circumstances where they have to rely on their memory.

The bottom line is bad subbing (bad game management) killed the game. It's like RP was giving Miles a Valentine's Day present.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Regardless of how bad the foul call on Coffey was, and it was atrocious, how do the officials not at least review the OB call on McBrayer/Oturu? They pretty much always look at anything remotely close in the last 2 minutes just to make sure they got it right.

Gophers rebounded a Nebraska miss cleanly, not OB, and I'm not sure Oturu ever touched the ball. It would've been Gophers ball, and Palmer never gets the chance for that last foul to happen. I'm completely baffled at how you don't at the very least review the OB call. If the Big Ten had any guts, it would suspend Kelly Pfeifer. He made all 3 calls (charge on Murphy, which wasn't a charge), the OB call and the foul on Coffey. He had just a terrible night.

Is he the one who tried to give Nebraska the ball when they threw the inbounds away with no one within 10 feet of the ball? If so, that is all I need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy was getting the ball on the low left block about 8 feet from the basket and backing down Roby while bullying him to get to the basket.

The last 46 seconds Murphy got the ball at the top of the right side about 20 feet from the basket with no time or opportunity to back the defender down. Only thing available was a straight line drive to the hoop with time running out on the shot clock. It went completely away from what was working for Murphy.

So no it's not just stupid stuff.

Murphy was getting the ball on the low left block about 8 feet from the basket and backing down Roby while bullying him to get to the basket.

The last 46 seconds Murphy got the ball at the top of the right side about 20 feet from the basket with no time or opportunity to back the defender down. Only thing available was a straight line drive to the hoop with time running out on the shot clock. It went completely away from what was working for Murphy.

So no it's not just stupid stuff.

Watch the tape. You will find that 8 feet looks a lot more like 13 to 15 feet when you see it. Just go to the 2:25 mark and watch it. Murphy usually scores in two ways: 1. He gets the ball 12-15 feet away and drives 2. He or a teammate misses and he cleans up the junk. He doesn't receive the ball on the low blocks that often. He needs a head of steam.

When he got the ball on that last offensive play (pun) he did get it at 20 feet. I think we all wish he would have gotten it a little closer and maybe Pitino wanted it to be that way too. Or maybe Pitino is just a dumb stupid idiot who doesn't know a thing about basketball. Are we talking about how stupid the play was if Murphy makes the shot or gets fouled? No chance.

Hey, some people are in circumstances where they have to rely on their memory.

The bottom line is bad subbing (bad game management) killed the game. It's like RP was giving Miles a Valentine's Day present.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
So you are wrong but sticking with it. Good plan.

Regardless of how bad the foul call on Coffey was, and it was atrocious, how do the officials not at least review the OB call on McBrayer/Oturu? They pretty much always look at anything remotely close in the last 2 minutes just to make sure they got it right.

Gophers rebounded a Nebraska miss cleanly, not OB, and I'm not sure Oturu ever touched the ball. It would've been Gophers ball, and Palmer never gets the chance for that last foul to happen. I'm completely baffled at how you don't at the very least review the OB call. If the Big Ten had any guts, it would suspend Kelly Pfeifer. He made all 3 calls (charge on Murphy, which wasn't a charge), the OB call and the foul on Coffey. He had just a terrible night.

Why didn't COACH Pitino ask that the refs review the call??????

Refs were bad, Pitino was bad. Pitino is paid millions, the refs not so much.

Is he the one who tried to give Nebraska the ball when they threw the inbounds away with no one within 10 feet of the ball? If so, that is all I need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep. dude didn't have a clue last night

Kalscheur didn't yank him down. It wasn't a foul and if they were looking to right that "wrong" that never existed, that makes the horrible officiating at the end even worse.

I've felt that, if there was a call they were trying to make up, it was an uncalled offensive call on Murphy in the last few minutes. But they surely made it up in triplicate.

If Pitino thinks the Gophers played "really well", his expectations are way too low. After 6 years, losing to a team who had lost 7 straight, even with a few questionable calls, is far from "very well" and if Pitino's expectations are that low, he should be replaced with someone who expects to make us a contender in 6 years.

The out of bounds call and the last foul were bad. We should be mad about that and Pitino/Coyle should be getting on the Big 10 about how they are okay with that, the Michigan shot clock incident, and Brad Davidson's attempt to hurt Murphy. But Nebraska has been a bad team recently and we went up 11 early so the last few minutes should have just been us killing the clock.

On the substitution thing, from my math the bench played 23 minutes total out of a 40 minute game. That means that if Pitnio wanted to, he could have made sure there were 4 starters on the court the entire time. He could have very easily made sure there were at least 3 starters on the court at the very least. If you're sitting your starters an average of 4.5 minutes each, why would you ever have 3 starters sitting at the same time? Pitino also chooses who to sub in so why would he play Stull in an important game not in garbage time? Stull was on the court for 10 minutes and the only productive thing he did was grab a rebound. I also remember him playing horrible defense leading to a free basket at least once.

As a side note, the next coach should get a budget built into his contract for fines. Wouldn't be much to the overall budget and a few well-timed rants during press conferences could fire up the team and the fans.

Winning will fire up the fans. The right coach has his team focused, he wins and the fans and the money come pouring in.

You know it's bad reffing when Nebraska's pass for the inbounds is off by three feet so that no one touches it...yet the ref calls it Nebraska ball. Ya just can't make up that kind of stupid.

You know it's bad reffing when Nebraska's pass for the inbounds is off by three feet so that no one touches it...yet the ref calls it Nebraska ball. Ya just can't make up that kind of stupid.
Reminds me of a fumble in a Gopher game a couple years ago. It was really early in the game and the Gophers very clearly recovered a fumble. The refs didn't rule it a fumble and nearly didn't review it. But they did and fortunately got it right.

Top Bottom