Pitino's post game presser after Nebraska game

He seems a bit pissed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I hope he said that the refs stole the game. He’s got nothing to lose at this point, that horrendous series of calls just bounced them from the Tournament and made sure he lost this job.

I hope he said that the refs stole the game. He’s got nothing to lose at this point, that horrendous series of calls just bounced them from the Tournament and made sure he lost this job.

If they fail to make the tournament there is a lot more to blame than the refs calls at the end of the game. They lost to a bad Nebraska team. They got a lead and blew it. That isn’t on the officials.

Just like failing to win @ Purdue and @ Michigan isn’t on the officials.

The Gophers have had plenty of opportunities to get quality wins during the conference season and hasn’t got it done.

One bad call against them isn’t what will cost Pitino his job if he is in fact fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He can be fined which is problematic when your future income stream is in question.

Lets not claim the bad calls cost this team a tournament berth. They could STILL get in without doing anything spectacular:

Indiana: losers of 9 of 10 games. You are at home. It doesn't get much easier
Michigan: has played two terrible road games at Iowa and at Penn State. Also lost at Wisconsin.
@Rutgers
@Northwestern: Two road games against the bottom of the conference who have little to play for, if you don't win these...who do you beat on the road?
Purdue
@Maryland: If you haven't won the first four, you have two more opportunities to get one more. If you need it and they just want it, maybe you can pull the upset?

Obviously, I don't expect it to happen but literally one win over a tournament team and not losing to any more teams that have little or nothing to play for gets you in to the Dance. That's a fortunate position to be in with how poorly this team has played for much of the year.

He seems a bit pissed

Yeah..came off a bit petulant. I get it. I might just skip the presser in a case like this. Not sure if he gets fined for doing that too.

No other sport is officiating influenced by the home crowd more than basketball (college and pro). Really don't know how you fix that issue outside of having robots ref games, can't really take the human element out of it regardless of hard you try. Really nothing you can do about as a team at this point, just have to move on and use it as motivation for your next game. Still plenty of opportunities to turn this ship around, won't be easy, but easy games aren't what raises your net. Steal one against Michigan and/or Purdue and I think they are in good shape again. As I have been saying all season regardless of a win or a loss, just let the season play out before you overreact either way.

Did we not see the the controversial call where we yanked their player down and their inbounds pass went straight out of bounds? A little soft but still a foul on us.

It was clear that the referees were going to give Nebraska a makeup call in the last few seconds.

Our task is to NOT put ourselves in a situation where we have to rely on the officials NOT giving a makeup call after we benefit from a cheap one. Sore losership but I guess what can you expect coaches and players to say?

Did we not see the the controversial call where we yanked their player down and their inbounds pass went straight out of bounds? A little soft but still a foul on us.

It was clear that the referees were going to give Nebraska a makeup call in the last few seconds.

Our task is to NOT put ourselves in a situation where we have to rely on the officials NOT giving a makeup call after we benefit from a cheap one. Sore losership but I guess what can you expect coaches and players to say?

Holding the ball at the end of the game and letting Murphy dribble more thsn once to the basket was a truly stupid coaching decision.

This was never a game where it felt like Minnesota owned it and it got stolen.

The refs didn't steal the game. They stole our chance to win at the end.

We had a chance to win it by how we played.
We didn't own the game and have it stolen.

That's how I see it.

Yes, they played well enough to win, but they also played poorly enough to lose it.

Kalscheur didn't yank him down. It wasn't a foul and if they were looking to right that "wrong" that never existed, that makes the horrible officiating at the end even worse.

No other sport is officiating influenced by the home crowd more than basketball (college and pro). Really don't know how you fix that issue outside of having robots ref games, can't really take the human element out of it regardless of hard you try. Really nothing you can do about as a team at this point, just have to move on and use it as motivation for your next game. Still plenty of opportunities to turn this ship around, won't be easy, but easy games aren't what raises your net. Steal one against Michigan and/or Purdue and I think they are in good shape again. As I have been saying all season regardless of a win or a loss, just let the season play out before you overreact either way.
Agree. Unfortunately we have lots people here that think he lost his job yesterday.

People love drama

Silly. Kal didn’t “yank” the NE down. They got their feet tangled and no call was correct.

I believe it was the same D-bag official who made all the awful calls down the stretch. That guy should never do another D1 game again.

Maybe the officials should have held a press conference to discuss how poorly Pitino did his job.

Those calls were bad, I get that. But Nebraska has lost how many in a row? If you're a tournament team you beat them by 10, in their barn. Bottom line.

Maybe the officials should have held a press conference to discuss how poorly Pitino did his job.
"Hey, we did not substitute in our deep bench when we were up over 10 points and it was four minutes into the game." (end of press conference)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think I have come to the conclusion that basketball must be the hardest sport to ref because it consistently has the most incorrect calls made. I have seen it at so many levels youth through college (NBA is better). Ideally you don't put yourself in a position where an incompetent ref decides the game. But this was a brutal call to end the game.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I think I have come to the conclusion that basketball must be the hardest sport to ref because it consistently has the most incorrect calls made. I have seen it at so many levels youth through college (NBA is better). Ideally you don't put yourself in a position where an incompetent ref decides the game. But this was a brutal call to end the game.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Basketball is a really hard game to ref because there is a lot going on in a relatively small space. That said, in the case of the last call there was really no excuse for blowing that call because the ref had a clear view and there wasn't much else going on in that area.

Pitino is rightfully pissed about how it ended but I don't agree with his assessment that we played a great game to that point. As has been discussed the Murphy drive was just dumb in that situation because that is not his strong suit and he is prone to getting called for offensive fouls. Absolutely get the ball to Murph but get it to him close to the basket where he has a chance to do something, not up top where he has to put it on the floor.

The ref absolutely blew the call at the very end of the game that cost us the victory but there are plenty of things we could have done differently leading up to that play to not be in that situation. Making the NCAA tournament is still possible for this team but with each loss their margin for error gets slimmer and slimmer.

Regardless of how bad the foul call on Coffey was, and it was atrocious, how do the officials not at least review the OB call on McBrayer/Oturu? They pretty much always look at anything remotely close in the last 2 minutes just to make sure they got it right.

Gophers rebounded a Nebraska miss cleanly, not OB, and I'm not sure Oturu ever touched the ball. It would've been Gophers ball, and Palmer never gets the chance for that last foul to happen. I'm completely baffled at how you don't at the very least review the OB call. If the Big Ten had any guts, it would suspend Kelly Pfeifer. He made all 3 calls (charge on Murphy, which wasn't a charge), the OB call and the foul on Coffey. He had just a terrible night.

Agree. Unfortunately we have lots people here that think he lost his job yesterday.

People love drama

It's not that people think that he will lose his job from that game in particular. It is everything leading up to this point AND the fact that if they can't beat that piss poor team, they won't be able to do enough the rest of the way to get into the NCAA most likely. My guess is they win 1 or 2 at best from here on out and end up in the totally worthless NIT.

Pitino is rightfully pissed about how it ended but I don't agree with his assessment that we played a great game to that point.

I'm with you. I think part of his problem is that Pitino thinks that effort last night was good enough. Had they won or lost, he shouldn't have been pleased. You have to shoot to be the best, not be complacent and happy to barely eak out a win against a terrible team. Tom Izzo would have let his players have it if they won by a point against a team like Nebraska last night.

Regardless of how bad the foul call on Coffey was, and it was atrocious, how do the officials not at least review the OB call on McBrayer/Oturu? They pretty much always look at anything remotely close in the last 2 minutes just to make sure they got it right.

Gophers rebounded a Nebraska miss cleanly, not OB, and I'm not sure Oturu ever touched the ball. It would've been Gophers ball, and Palmer never gets the chance for that last foul to happen. I'm completely baffled at how you don't at the very least review the OB call. If the Big Ten had any guts, it would suspend Kelly Pfeifer. He made all 3 calls (charge on Murphy, which wasn't a charge), the OB call and the foul on Coffey. He had just a terrible night.

I’m thinking they can’t review the out of bounds play because review is reserved for “who touched it last?” and not “did he step out?” for the most part.

?? But we didn't rebound it cleanly. Dupree blocked the shot from behind, it caromed off the lower part of the backboard into Oturu's leg (who was already airborne from trying to block the shot), it hit the floor and was heading out of bounds, McBrayer lunged for it and grabbed it, but it looked like his toe was unfortunately on the line when he touched it, then he moved his foot back.

I don't know if it should have been reviewable, but I don't think they would have changed it. That was just bad luck that the ball ended up there to be honest. A lot like the end of the Michigan game.

I’m thinking they can’t review the out of bounds play because review is reserved for “who touched it last?” and not “did he step out?” for the most part.

that would be really dumb if true.

This is correct. Whether the ball or player was OOB is not a reviewable play.

"Hey, we did not substitute in our deep bench when we were up over 10 points and it was four minutes into the game." (end of press conference)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Huh?

13:30 Gabe Kalscheur Block. 12 - 4
13:25 Daniel Oturu Defensive Rebound. 12 - 4
13:22 Amir Coffey made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Dupree McBrayer. 15 - 4

Looks like he stuck with the starters for the first 7 minutes. Usually first subs, for a lot of teams are in before that. By the way, Murphy was still in as well at this point as he was involved a play or two later.....

Oh and by the way- what is this?:
10:19 Matz Stockman made Dunk. Assisted by Jordan Murphy. 19 - 8

All that bad subbing and we were still up 11 with 10 minutes gone.

Also- the starters played 33,34, 35, 36 and 39 minutes (Coffey). Murphy and Kalscheur both got 2 fouls and sat some in the first half.

Geez- stick to the truth- you don't have to exaggerate to make the case that you don't like Pitino.

Last edited:

Top Bottom