***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

It is stupid what he is saying. Who would you have subbed and when? It didn't work out, I get that but players have to rest and those were the guys we had. Oturu went out at about the 12 minute mark. 8 minutes is a good long run for him and Matz didn't hurt us. Washington hasn't been good and Murphy was fouling so Stull and Omersa were the options....unless he goes to Hurt, which perhaps he should have.

You don’t sub in 3 guys all at once that can’t play offense or defense. Bury that ****ty team and let your bench play then

I think a one on one drive with murphy was exactly what we would want in the situation, especially after he had made the previous two shots. But sure blame pitino for "not running a play".

There are plenty of games this year where Stull and Omersa have not played. And they should not have played tonight.

That's exactly it. Why tonight? Hurt would have been a better option than Omersa, and I agree with others who think that Washington didn't deserve to get benched for his one mistake.

Wonder if we'll finish behind Rutgers and Illinois in the standings? We're probably immune from playing in the bottom four round but I can't say that I'm 100% certain of that.

Andy Katz just argued that a team like Nebraska (and probably us) might be better off playing on Weakling Wednesday to get an extra win. Let's go boys, finish 11th!

It is stupid what he is saying. Who would you have subbed and when? It didn't work out, I get that but players have to rest and those were the guys we had. Oturu went out at about the 12 minute mark. 8 minutes is a good long run for him and Matz didn't hurt us. Washington hasn't been good and Murphy was fouling so Stull and Omersa were the options....unless he goes to Hurt, which perhaps he should have.

Not a big reason why we lost but Matz got yanked right away because he let two guys blow by him for buckets. He was bad in his stint.

Waiting until there's 8 seconds left on the shot clock to start the offense in that situation is a fatal error. No matter when you score, early or late, you're giving the Huskers plenty of time to run their offense on the other end. Give yourself a good chance to score, which means running a plan A with enough time for a plan B and/or an offensive rebound. There's only one thing more annoying than the cliched approach of waiting until that deep in the shot clock, and that's doing so when it makes no sense to or even hurts your cause. Give yourself a f*ucking chance to make a game-winning play! Don't leave it to your defense on the other end or, even worse, the stripes.
Right. It makes no sense to run an isolation play when you don't have even on person capable of breaking down a defender and scoring consistently. We have failed with this strategy on multiple occasions. Better to actually run your offense and get ball movement for an open look.

I think a one on one drive with murphy was exactly what we would want in the situation, especially after he had made the previous two shots. But sure blame pitino for "not running a play".

Not me. Post him up and do it with 20 seconds on the shot clock. He isn’t great driving the ball to the basket and has been called for multiple charges doing so this season

That's exactly it. Why tonight? Hurt would have been a better option than Omersa, and I agree with others who think that Washington didn't deserve to get benched for his one mistake.

Anyone saying subbing patterns tonight were fine must have missed the part where stull went in the game.

Might as well play with 4. At least with 4 you’d get some national publicity

Murphy that far from the hoop is a bad idea. Murphy that far from the hoop with 5 seconds left is really bad. Just a bad decesion overall.

Andy Katz just argued that a team like Nebraska (and probably us) might be better off playing on Weakling Wednesday to get an extra win. Let's go boys, finish 11th!

Big ten could still get 10 in the tourney.
It would probably take Indians winning st Minnesota and Minnesota winning 3 of the other games plus a game in the BTT

For better or worse, he'll be here next year. Write that down.

We will not be significantly better next year. We might be worse. Where is the line? How many years of mediocre or worse do we have to sit through?

Hummel and Katz just said the refs blew the call..... and Watson traveled before the inbound pass..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Carr might be the most overrated player in gopher history to this point in his career.
We scored some points for an 0-18 ACC team. I Don’t really expect him to be a savior.

Me either. But all he has to do is be better than IW and folks will love him.

We will not be significantly better next year. We might be worse. Where is the line? How many years of mediocre or worse do we have to sit through?

To reiterate, I've seen enough, but I don't think the AD has. I might be wrong.

Not me. Post him up and do it with 20 seconds on the shot clock. He isn’t great driving the ball to the basket and has been called for multiple charges doing so this season

I would have still worked time off the clock and tried to get him the ball around 8-10 seconds left.

Nothing more than my reading of the tea leaves / Coyle. Keep in mind that I'm not the decision maker; just making my best prediction.

I fear you're right. If so, I will be less excited for next season than any in years or decades. At least we'll have Oturu to watch hopefully.

Waiting until there's 8 seconds left on the shot clock to start the offense in that situation is a fatal error. No matter when you score, early or late, you're giving the Huskers plenty of time to run their offense on the other end. Give yourself a good chance to score, which means running a plan A with enough time for a plan B and/or an offensive rebound. There's only one thing more annoying than the cliched approach of waiting until that deep in the shot clock, and that's doing so when it makes no sense to or even hurts your cause. Give yourself a f*ucking chance to make a game-winning play! Don't leave it to your defense on the other end or, even worse, the stripes.

I hear you, maybe he should have done something different, but Murphy had been making plays the whole half by getting the ball on the perimeter and driving into the paint and he had been successful. After some early in the half garbage plays by him he played an amazing second half, battled his tail off. I'd have put it in his hands just like that. If he scores or is fouled- we are up two or three. If he and ones it, we win the game.

If Murphy wheels and deals and hits the shot- everybody says "great play by Murphy!" and it is. He misses and the coach called the wrong play.
Like it or not, these games are almost never won by called plays. They are won by players making plays. End of the Washington game, Kalscheur. End of the Michigan game Simpson(?) from the baseline off a offensive rebound. The Wisconsin game- Trice drains the long three. I don't know that I have seen a game ender this year that was on a great designed play.

The next coach needs better guards and maybe just needs to be a better coach, I don't know. Chicken and egg.

Murphy that far from the hoop is a bad idea. Murphy that far from the hoop with 5 seconds left is really bad. Just a bad decesion overall.

I'm pretty sure he got the ball with eight seconds left. And I guess it depends on if you agree with the charge call, but I thought it was a good look.

That also was not a charge but the refs called it! The last two fouls weren't and another ref tried to give the ball to me bvb ranks on an obvious out of bounds. This game officiating reminds me why I quit watching basketball many years ago and that I made a mistake starting again this year. Time to stop again!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm in the same mode. Clear examples include the screw job at the end of the MI game (clock shenanigans that were reviewed but not corrected) and now the obvious screw job vs NE just showcases the incompetence (corruption?). I've seen enough. No sense in getting re-invested in this sport.

There is something wrong with the chemistry on the team.
I can’t exactly say what is the problem, but something is off...

Only twice under Pitino. Penn State in 2014. Rutgers in 2015.

In a real oddity, we won 8 in a row a couple years ago in the Big Ten and none of them was over one of the other three teams we beat. It's pretty hard to get 11 wins without beating anyone twice but we did it.

If it's not a charge you have Murphy at the line where's he's not exactly rock solid. Get Murphy the ball, but not 20 feet from the basket.

For better or worse, he'll be here next year. Write that down.

Even if the Gophers finish, say, 1-10 after being 6-4 in conference? (Not predicting. Just a hypothetical.) What if attendence in Williams starts to drop? When is season ticket renewal?

Hurt can do everything Stull can do (play hot potato) but at least has size and can make a basket at the rim once in a while.

To reiterate, I've seen enough, but I don't think the AD has. I might be wrong.

You may be right about the AD but what about the donors? Have they seen enough? That might mean more than anything else.

Getting to the dance at all is good. Getting blown out in the 1st round is better than an NIT championship in my book. I’d be happy if this university just quit accepting NIT bids. It’s a garbage tournament full of uninteresting bad teams and an embarrassment that we have played in it so much.

Right. It makes no sense to run an isolation play when you don't have even on person capable of breaking down a defender and scoring consistently. We have failed with this strategy on multiple occasions. Better to actually run your offense and get ball movement for an open look.

I didn’t like that they got Murphy the ball that far out after the stall but I am not sure what you mean that it makes no sense to run an isolation play as we don’t have one player who can break down a defender and score consistently. I saw the opposite. Our entire offense was isolating Murphy as Roby couldn’t handle him defensively. Murphy was the only one scoring consistently at the end.

Top Bottom