***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

For the people who are so sure one way or the other on how the season will play out, why even bother watching games? It's a done deal right? Just let the season play out folk's

Almost every one of his baskets tonight was after more than 1 dribble.

Exactly right. The play that didn't work was a lot like the play that did work a number of other times during the game and in fact the play that kept us in the game late. The season was on the line and the coach got it to the senior who had been doing it previously. Not a bad idea.

I guess I didn’t miss much that we haven’t seen all year. Great night to go on a date instead ��

Are you still bragging on a message board about going on a date? I feel like you've done this before. Very odd behavior.

Murphy was not getting the ball where he got it on the last
play not matter how many times you rewatch it and try and defend the coach.

The outbounds call was on McBrayer who was out of bounds not on Oturu.

Watch the tape- yes this was a few feet further out but he got challenged at about 8-9 feet just has he was on the other plays.

I can't tell who was out of bounds on that play if anyone, it doesn't appear that McBrayer was ever out of bounds to me but I may be wrong.

Exactly right. The play that didn't work was a lot like the play that did work a number of other times during the game and in fact the play that kept us in the game late. The season was on the line and the coach got it to the senior who had been doing it previously. Not a bad idea.

Man, I don't know what to say if you think the final Gopher possession even approached sound basketball strategy. There was a 15 second differential. Nebraska was going to have plenty of time to get a good shot whether you used all of the shot clock or just half of it. The Gophers were only up 1 which meant a failed offensive possession put Nebraska in a position to win on any basket (or two free throws...yuck). The play was different than many of the possessions where Murphy scored. He got the ball further out than in the past, he needed to make a straight line drive to the basket (not sure he had a single straight line drive all night) and he was limited by the shot clock by the time the ball was in his hands. It's absolutely fine if you want the ball to end up in Murphy's hands, but to just give it to a player who is basically all power and little finesse 18 feet from the basket with 6 seconds on the shot clock or whatever and say "make a play" is just...really, really bad.

I’ve came to the conclusion this is probably correct.

Though I disagree with it highly probable Pitino gets another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want him to get another year if the fan base is against him. This is a program that needs everyone going in the same direction to get this done- administration, fans, media, players and coach. It's too tough of a job to do without 100% backing. When the attitude about the coach is not positive it becomes even harder to get the local players who should be the building blocks. I'll pull for him to rally the troops the rest of the way and hope he gets it done. Barring that we can hope for the next guy.

Man, I don't know what to say if you think the final Gopher possession even approached sound basketball strategy. There was a 15 second differential. Nebraska was going to have plenty of time to get a good shot whether you used all of the shot clock or just half of it. The Gophers were only up 1 which meant a failed offensive possession put Nebraska in a position to win on any basket (or two free throws...yuck). The play was different than many of the possessions where Murphy scored. He got the ball further out than in the past, he needed to make a straight line drive to the basket (not sure he had a single straight line drive all night) and he was limited by the shot clock by the time the ball was in his hands. It's absolutely fine if you want the ball to end up in Murphy's hands, but to just give it to a player who is basically all power and little finesse 18 feet from the basket with 6 seconds on the shot clock or whatever and say "make a play" is just...really, really bad.

So are you thinking that Pitino told Coffey to wait until 6 seconds and until Murphy got to 19 feet from the basket and give him the ball? Or was design for Murphy to cut and get the ball as close in as he could and try to drive in an get fouled or make a basket just as he had done a three times in the last few minutes from 13 to 15 feet out? How do you know that the two executed exactly the time and place Pitino asked for? I think the play was the right idea and probably not executed beautifully. The defenders get a say in it as well.

So are you thinking that Pitino told Coffey to wait until 6 seconds and until Murphy got to 19 feet from the basket and give him the ball? Or was design for Murphy to cut and get the ball as close in as he could and try to drive in an get fouled or make a basket just as he had done a three times in the last few minutes from 13 to 15 feet out? How do you know that the two executed exactly the time and place Pitino asked for? I think the play was the right idea and probably not executed beautifully. The defenders get a say in it as well.

Is it supposed to make us feel better about things if that was the case? The two main leaders can't properly execute a play that could decide our season against a Nebraska team that is basically dead in the water when it comes to NCAA tourney hopes?

Man, I don't know what to say if you think the final Gopher possession even approached sound basketball strategy. There was a 15 second differential. Nebraska was going to have plenty of time to get a good shot whether you used all of the shot clock or just half of it.

I think Pitino had a brain fart and didn't think it over under the pressure of the situation, if he wakes up this morning thinking that was sound strategy that wasn't executed correctly there are bigger problems, I'm sure part of the plan was to try and minimize a chance of a turnover but how can that type of mindset ever be successful.

Someone explain to me that for half the game Coffey was guarded by Watson and they never posted him up down low. Why? Watson is only 6 ft. ?????

Except the rest of the number of times it was within the flow of the offense, people moving, screens, etc. This was run the clock down and isolate. Silly and unimaginative. This is D1 basketball, not a pickup game at the fitness center. Draw something up, every other coach in that situation would have.

I believe the "set" was to get murphy the ball which was accomplished. The players guarding Murphy sag off and let him get into the lane pretty easily so its not much of a problem where he catches it. Murphy just need to take it to the rim and draw a foul... O wait he did and the refs blew the call

They should have gotten him the ball with about 8-10 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 5-6. Then he probably doesn't feel as rushed to get a shot up.

Except the rest of the number of times it was within the flow of the offense, people moving, screens, etc. This was run the clock down and isolate. Silly and unimaginative. This is D1 basketball, not a pickup game at the fitness center. Draw something up, every other coach in that situation would have.

Just about every coach does it with their best player. This is an odd thing about basketball- the other team has a defense that tries to stop what you do. Most plays break down and that's when the better players keep moving without the ball or beat somebody with the ball and make plays.

Last night Allen blew by McBrayer, just beat him off the dribble, no screen, no play, he just beat the defender. He got his shot blocked but that ended up being part of the sequence by which we lost.

They should have gotten him the ball with about 8-10 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 5-6. Then he probably doesn't feel as rushed to get a shot up.

That would have been better. Player execution? Coach made a bad call and told them to wait until then? We'll never know.

Someone explain to me that for half the game Coffey was guarded by Watson and they never posted him up down low. Why? Watson is only 6 ft. ?????

One of the first sets of the second half, they did exactly that. Not sure why it didn't happen more.

That would have been better. Player execution? Coach made a bad call and told them to wait until then? We'll never know.

That's my problem with trying to decipher the Gophers offensive woes. Is it poor coaching or horsecrap execution? If the players (and these are experienced players) can't adjust to the defense and make smart plays to get the ball to the right guy in the right spot, then John Wooden wouldn't have a chance with this bunch. But Coffey can't beat a quicker guy off the dribble when he can only create a shot going to his left, so that eliminates half the floor. And the defense knows this.

I didn't like the iso play at the end because of all the reasons already stated, but perhaps the best asset on the floor is Murphy and Oturu's offensive rebounding. I take a chance with Coffey or Kalschur shooting, maybe it goes in, if not, backup plan is an offensive rebound ends the game. Instead you move Oturu out of the lane to make room for the drive and a good chance you take Murphy out of the rebound chance because he has the ball.

For the people who are so sure one way or the other on how the season will play out, why even bother watching games? It's a done deal right? Just let the season play out folk's

Just wanted to bump this thread so people could get a good laugh at the overreaction from the fanbase after a bad beat, maybe going forward, people will follow this person's sound advice going forward :rolleyes:

Top Bottom