***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Pitino needs to go. Enough is enough. 6 years coaching here and he still looks like a first year coach

To reiterate, I've seen enough, but I don't think the AD has. I might be wrong.

Then I am losing faith in Coyle. If we had a promising recruiting class coming in, I could see it. But as it is, what exactly is going to change next year?

Richard Pitino has every right to run that official off the court and cuss him out like he did.

I didn't love the play to isolate Murphy, but it wasn't a charge. Roby was moving, didn't beat Murphy to the spot, wasn't a charge. But you can't put him in that position.

Regardless, Kalscheur grabbed the rebound the ref called OB on Oturu, who never touched the ball. Not sure he was that close to it. I'm stunned they didn't at least review it to double check it.

The call on Coffey is one of the worst I've ever seen. He bought for the pump fake slightly, but stood straight up with his arms up, Palmer initiated the contact if there was any. Just a horrible sequence for an official that should probably face a suspension if the Big Ten had any guts. On top of the fact that there wasn't a foul, you typically don't get a whistle in that situation 99.9 percent of the time unless the shooter absolutely gets mugged.

Gotta move on, the loss doesn't mean much if you beat Indiana and Purdue at home, and NW and Rutgers on the road. Take a breath, the Gophers still very much control their own NCAA destiny. Meanwhile, Tim Miles will be unemployed after Nebraska loses in the BTT.

I'm pretty sure he got the ball with eight seconds left. And I guess it depends on if you agree with the charge call, but I thought it was a good look.

Just watched the replay again and it was about 6 seconds when he got the ball.

Watson traveled on that last inbounds play too by the way.

If you have a bench like we do, you have to do a better job of staggering the rest. You have to have Stull, Hurt, Matz, and Omersa out there at some point, yes, but you need to pick and choose your spots better and try to not have them out there as a group.

I'd agree with that. I don't know that Hurt played but your point is correct. Matz didn't hurt us. Stull did and Omersa shot the boneheaded three.
Nebraska made shots they have not been making (they shot 50%) and I don't think our defense (other than against the drive for about 5 minutes in the first half) was bad.

Tim Miles is so corny. He reminds me more of a band teacher than a basketball coach. They must be sick of him in Lincoln. Did you hear his hump day joke?

To reiterate, I've seen enough, but I don't think the AD has. I might be wrong.

I’ve came to the conclusion this is probably correct.

Though I disagree with it highly probable Pitino gets another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our final possession, it seems like it might’ve been smarter to try for a 2-for-1 (making the massive assumption we could get a decent look) as opposed to holding it for 25 seconds and then letting Murphy bowl into the guy from the free throw line. Why give Nebraska the last shot?

That is exactly what I wanted also!

On a side note, hurt hasn’t played in a minute. Pretty much can count his brother out now

Just watched the replay again and it was about 6 seconds when he got the ball.

Watson traveled on that last inbounds play too by the way.

Why did they call the ball out of bounds in the first place with 3 seconds left? It looked like McBrayer secures the rebound. Did it hit Oturu while he was on the baseline?

I didn’t like that they got Murphy the ball that far out after the stall but I am not sure what you mean that it makes no sense to run an isolation play as we don’t have one player who can break down a defender and score consistently. I saw the opposite. Our entire offense was isolating Murphy as Roby couldn’t handle him defensively. Murphy was the only one scoring consistently at the end.
In that situation everyone can help on Murphy and there is no time to kick it out. In previous possessions Murph got the isolation off ball movement. Running a 1-4 low with no movement just made the Gophers easy to guard.

Might be 3 or 4 coaching openings in the Big Ten. Even Collins at Northwestern in year 6 :) ....but their history saves him.

I hear you, maybe he should have done something different, but Murphy had been making plays the whole half by getting the ball on the perimeter and driving into the paint and he had been successful. After some early in the half garbage plays by him he played an amazing second half, battled his tail off. I'd have put it in his hands just like that. If he scores or is fouled- we are up two or three.

Part of this correct. Murphy was getting the ball on the perimeter and driving into the paint and being successful.

That was from 8 feet out not 20 feet out which is what happened on a ridiculous set called by Pitino. So yes it’s totally on the coach.

That is exactly what I wanted also!

The Gophers pass it in, ball goes to Bobby Jackson, he bobs, he weaves and hits the step back 3! Yes! Gophers up 4 with 38 seconds left!
Oh wait, we don't have a guy like that....... :(

Why did they call the ball out of bounds in the first place with 3 seconds left? It looked like McBrayer secures the rebound. Did it hit Oturu while he was on the baseline?

We never got a good angle there for some reason. From what we could see it didn’t look like McBrayer was out of bounds.

Part of this correct. Murphy was getting the ball on the perimeter and driving into the paint and being successful.

That was from 8 feet out not 20 feet out which is what happened on a ridiculous set called by Pitino. So yes it’s totally on the coach.

Yep. A lot of the final 6-8 minutes was Murphy getting isolated in left block post ups. Two turnovers trying to feed the other big when the double came but a lot of good looks for him and a wide open 3 from Coffey that he knocked down.

The final play was not a left block post up. Or a post up at all really. Confusing.

Gotta move on, the loss doesn't mean much if you beat Indiana and Purdue at home, and NW and Rutgers on the road. Take a breath, the Gophers still very much control their own NCAA destiny.

This isn’t happening.

I believe the "set" was to get murphy the ball which was accomplished. The players guarding Murphy sag off and let him get into the lane pretty easily so its not much of a problem where he catches it. Murphy just need to take it to the rim and draw a foul... O wait he did and the refs blew the call

Might be 3 or 4 coaching openings in the Big Ten. Even Collins at Northwestern in year 6 :) ....but their history saves him.

Collins has a better B1G record than Pitino

I think a one on one drive with murphy was exactly what we would want in the situation, especially after he had made the previous two shots. But sure blame pitino for "not running a play".

Any time Murphy takes more than one dribble, it's trouble. If you're running that type of isolation play, we needed someone who could beat his guy off the dribble and take a short jumper or dish to someone down low. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone like that. You'd like to think that could be IW, but you can't really trust his decision making.

Tim Miles is so corny. He reminds me more of a band teacher than a basketball coach. They must be sick of him in Lincoln. Did you hear his hump day joke?

I chuckled. It would be weird if Geico weren't running all of their classic ads again.

I chuckled. It would be weird if Geico weren't running all of their classic ads again.
It's so easy, even a caveman can do it. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe the "set" was to get murphy the ball which was accomplished. The players guarding Murphy sag off and let him get into the lane pretty easily so its not much of a problem where he catches it. Murphy just need to take it to the rim and draw a foul... O wait he did and the refs blew the call

Murphy never got close to the rim. He ran over a dude well before that.

Any time Murphy takes more than one dribble, it's trouble. If you're running that type of isolation play, we needed someone who could beat his guy off the dribble and take a short jumper or dish to someone down low. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone like that. You'd like to think that could be IW, but you can't really trust his decision making.

Almost every one of his baskets tonight was after more than 1 dribble.

Watch the last three minutes again (I just did) you will see something different. At the 2:11 mark- Murph gets the ball 15 feet away and drives in for two (could have been and one) with bodies all over him. At 1:25 he gets the ball 20 feet out and drives in, misses but Oturu gets fouled and they get two more points (59-59). 1:02 Murphy gets the ball 13 feet out dribbles in and scores. 61- 59

Then the officiating began- Oturu a clean block of Palmer- foul. Palmer makes one. 61-60 Then the Murphy charge- marginal call at best. Murphy did get the ball at 20 feet but was open for the drive, could have pulled up from 10 but Murphy doesn't do that. Then McBrayer got blown by, by Allen, out of bounds off Oturu? I couldn't see that but maybe. Then the bad call on Coffey....

This is Gopher basketball for most of the last 40+ years it seems.

Listen, it doesn’t matter if Minnesota won or lost this game, Pitino was gone either way. He’s capable of winning one, maybe two more games this season. Just get it over with.

Collins has a better B1G record than Pitino

Not by much....
Collins- 10th, 10th, 9th, 5th, 10th, 3-10 this year 36-64 total

Pitino - 7th, 10th, 13th, 4th, 11th 6-8 this year 37-67 total

Watch the last three minutes again (I just did) you will see something different. At the 2:11 mark- Murph gets the ball 15 feet away and drives in for two (could have been and one) with bodies all over him. At 1:25 he gets the ball 20 feet out and drives in, misses but Oturu gets fouled and they get two more points (59-59). 1:02 Murphy gets the ball 13 feet out dribbles in and scores. 61- 59

Then the officiating began- Oturu a clean block of Palmer- foul. Palmer makes one. 61-60 Then the Murphy charge- marginal call at best. Murphy did get the ball at 20 feet but was open for the drive, could have pulled up from 10 but Murphy doesn't do that. Then McBrayer got blown by, by Allen, out of bounds off Oturu? I couldn't see that but maybe. Then the bad call on Coffey....

This is Gopher basketball for most of the last 40+ years it seems.

Murphy was not getting the ball where he got it on the last
play not matter how many times you rewatch it and try and defend the coach.

The outbounds call was on McBrayer who was out of bounds not on Oturu.

Top Bottom