Just want to hear the barn rock again

TheBarnyard

Reaction score
It may be sad, but for me there aren’t many things better in life than hearing the barn reach deafening levels and watching passion ooze from players and fans. It felt like it had a chance against Bucky but it just didn’t get there. Will we ever hear that place reach it’s full potential again? It was ready to go against Miami last year too but again it never got there. Clem’s teams always found a way to bring the best out of that building. Anyways, just some early Wednesday morning wishful thinking.

And a blast from the past. Toughest building in the country in 97.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xpbq5l-_A8E

Wow that was a great team. Rutgers and Nebraska weren't in the Big Ten at that time, so it felt like the conference wasn't as watered down as it is now. For a few years heading into that season the Big Ten hadn't performed well in the NCAA Tournament, but the Gophers broke that bad streak too....by making it to the Final 4. About 10 years earlier Indiana won the NCAA Championship with Alford. A few years after that Michigan won it with Glen Rice...beating Kendal Gill's Illinois team in the Final 4. A few years after that Indiana and Michigan's Fab 5 freshmen made the Final 4 up here in Minneapolis, but once the Fab 5 left, the Big Ten had some disappointments in the tournament. That Gopher team started to change that trend. Thanks for awakening some old memories and reminding us what Williams Arena can be like.

I agree completely that the Big Ten “14” feels watered down. It doesn’t feel quite as gritty anymore. Also good point about the conference hitting a lull for some years there. That 97 team was truly great. Undefeated at Williams Arena. You can feel Williams want to rock again. We just need a tough winning team to wake it up. Thanks for sharing!

You are spot on with your reference to the Miami and Wisconsin games. Student sections were packed and you could feel the buzz. Real bummer that, in both games, just as we would get on a little roll and have a chance to stand up and scream, the opponent would hit a stinking three. That happened 2-3 times in the Sconnie game, and those shots were well-guarded. It was uncanny. It was a testament to our effort on defense that we were still in the game considering our putrid shooting (again). Such a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebraska game this year was pretty good and real close to what you are talking about.

last time I heard it was Ohio State a few years ago. the Black Out game. You could feel the Barn through your feet.

Great place to be when it happens!! The Barn is the best venue in Minnesota.

We just need to win to get the crowds back! Two consecutive seasons of good basketball would bring it back!

We just need to win to get the crowds back! Two consecutive seasons of good basketball would bring it back!

Yes sir, winning does it everywhere. Same in football, if we were winning Division titles the stadium would be full and loud. Williams is special when it rocks. I have been to over 80 venues and Only Phog Allen, Cameron Indoor surpass it. Our problem is for me that it so rarely happens, now lots of places rock every game.

Yes sir, winning does it everywhere. Same in football, if we were winning Division titles the stadium would be full and loud. Williams is special when it rocks. I have been to over 80 venues and Only Phog Allen, Cameron Indoor surpass it. Our problem is for me that it so rarely happens, now lots of places rock every game.

I haven't been to Cameron, but Phog Allen certainly at the very top. I'd put Hilton Coliseum right up there, too.

Yes you are right, winning is everything! One of the things that sometimes takes away from it really getting rocking is that there are so many dam timeouts these days. 13 really for a team with the 8 media timeouts. Everytime a place starts to rock the opposing coach just calls timeout. Why wouldn't they do that? Seems like your always a couple minutes at most from getting a timeout.

Correct!!

Nothing better than a Sam Jacobsen alley oop or Courtney James getting the ball down low and dunking it in someone's face while screaming as loud as he could.
Man those teams played hard. I sure miss the barn from yesteryear.

Yes you are right, winning is everything! One of the things that sometimes takes away from it really getting rocking is that there are so many dam timeouts these days. 13 really for a team with the 8 media timeouts. Everytime a place starts to rock the opposing coach just calls timeout. Why wouldn't they do that? Seems like your always a couple minutes at most from getting a timeout.

Have said for a long time that with TV timeouts i wish teams had only 3 timeouts and that you had to use one in the 1st half. Last night, the only thing i enjoyed about the Duke game was Lousiville using all their timeouts to stop the run before the last media timeout and being able to see the frenzy of the last few minutes. The other thing i deplore as it relates to atmosphere is the constant pursuit of getting every call right and having to go to the monitor. Living with bad calls and moving on, dealing with it was just like life itself. SS , agree with you on Hilton which proves that you do not even need a long rich tradition for a great setting but you do need competitive success and no betrayal to the fan base with scandal or poor customer service.

Have said for a long time that with TV timeouts i wish teams had only 3 timeouts and that you had to use one in the 1st half. Last night, the only thing i enjoyed about the Duke game was Lousiville using all their timeouts to stop the run before the last media timeout and being able to see the frenzy of the last few minutes. The other thing i deplore as it relates to atmosphere is the constant pursuit of getting every call right and having to go to the monitor. Living with bad calls and moving on, dealing with it was just like life itself. SS , agree with you on Hilton which proves that you do not even need a long rich tradition for a great setting but you do need competitive success and no betrayal to the fan base with scandal or poor customer service.

Yeah true! The other night i was watching some game and the coach purposely asked for a review just to get a chance to talk to his guys. Not only can you get a chance to set up a play or talk strategy, but it gives a quick rest also.

Good god some of the TV timeouts irk me..there is spans during games where there will be like 5 breaks in 10 minutes. Don't really see it changing to be honest though

You are spot on with your reference to the Miami and Wisconsin games. Student sections were packed and you could feel the buzz. Real bummer that, in both games, just as we would get on a little roll and have a chance to stand up and scream, the opponent would hit a stinking three. That happened 2-3 times in the Sconnie game, and those shots were well-guarded. It was uncanny. It was a testament to our effort on defense that we were still in the game considering our putrid shooting (again). Such a bummer.

+22. the crowd vs WI was SO ready to bring it, we were going crazy anytime it even got within one possession. I firmly believe that if the team could have gotten over the hump just once and taken one lead the place would have exploded and we'd have had a good chance of hanging on.

Opposing teams shoot around 98% when the crowd is standing and cheering. Maybe 99%. Its amazing.

I was at the Iowa game during that 97-98 season and it was right up there with the big win over #1 Illinois back in 1990.
That 97-98 really was stacked with talent. Three or four of the guys off the bench (maybe not Miles) on that team would be starters on this team I think.
Like others have said the barn is the best venue in the state for sports when it’s good.

I was at the Iowa game during that 97-98 season and it was right up there with the big win over #1 Illinois back in 1990.
That 97-98 really was stacked with talent. Three or four of the guys off the bench (maybe not Miles) on that team would be starters on this team I think.
Like others have said the barn is the best venue in the state for sports when it’s good.

Quincy Lewis definitely. Charles Thomas maybe. Everyone else no.

Last edited:

Not JPJ? :rolleyes:

Opposing teams shoot around 98% when the crowd is standing and cheering. Maybe 99%. Its amazing.

That percentage would go way down if they would just stand for more of the game.

When was the last time you saw a Duke student at Cameron sit down?

Seems like this is the wish every year. Not good.

I think Trevor Winter as well but you may be right.

I’m trying to think who would winter start ahead of between Coffey, oturu, and Murphy. I think Q and Coffey play the same position. Could probably slide Q to the 2 since the dude can shoot. Perhaps a 3 big lineup against certain teams.

That percentage would go way down if they would just stand for more of the game.

When was the last time you saw a Duke student at Cameron sit down?

When was the last time the Gophers were perpetually ranked in the top 5? I'll stand the entire game when they are ranked #2. THE ENTIRE GAME. I would stand from the second the doors open until they kick me out of the arena.

Cameron is also different. It holds 9,000 people. The camera angles show you a packed house, which for big games is true. There are plenty of photos of empty seats in the student section at Cameron. Gasp, I know.

2012 article from the NY Times. Knew this existed but couldn't remember the source. Duke was "down" and look what happens...people don't care. AT DUKE. Gophers haven't been really good in 20 years. Current students weren't alive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/...es-cameron-crazies-lose-their-enthusiasm.html

Last edited:

Lots of places where the students are on the side and do not sit down.

I would honestly rather they get every call wrong than go to the monitor and I have said that during Gopher games as well.

The other thing that hinders crowd noise is that there are so many people just f-ing around on their cell phones, even during action. I get it, you want your 2364 acquaintances to know you were at a game you clearly don't care about.

Top Bottom