Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Bi-partisan deal reached to avert shutdown

But will Trump agree?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.917abce20ed1

Key lawmakers announced a tentative deal late Monday that would avert another government shutdown at the end of the week while denying President Trump much of the money he’s sought to build new walls along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The agreement came together during intense hours of closed-door negotiations at the Capitol, as lawmakers resurrected talks that had fallen apart over the weekend in a dispute over new Democratic demands to limit immigrant detention. Democrats ultimately dropped some of those demands, which had come under fire from Republicans, clearing the way for a deal.

Hurdles remained, and Trump’s ultimate backing was in doubt after quick opposition emerged from conservatives. But lawmakers on both sides said they were motivated to find agreement by the looming specter of another government shutdown Friday night, three weeks after the last one ended.

“What brought us back together I thought, tonight, was we didn’t want that to happen,” said Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), the lead Republican in the talks.
    The deal includes $1.375 billion for 55 miles of fences along the border, compared with $5.7 billion Trump had sought for more than 200 miles of walls. The deal omits a strict new cap Democrats had sought on immigrants detained within the United States — as opposed to at the border. At the same time, it limits overall levels of detention beds maintained by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, although GOP aides said ICE would have enough money and flexibility to maintain its current detention levels and add more when needed.
    Shelby, Lowey, Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) and Rep. Kay Granger (R-Tex.) participated in the Monday meetings. They are the top lawmakers on a bi*partisan conference committee charged with striking a deal and staving off another shutdown.

If I were him, I'd probably take the money and then declare the national emergency or get additional funds from any source available and build 8-9 billion worth of wall. The problem is that we don't know what other garbage that is hidden in this deal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    If I were him, I'd probably take the money and then declare the national emergency or get additional funds from any source available and build 8-9 billion worth of wall. The problem is that we don't know what other garbage that is hidden in this deal yet.
    The problem is that if he tries to declare a national emergency or steal the cash it will get tied up in the courts past 2020 and his craig/humble Beggar/charter school/looney less fantasy approval rating will drop from 99% to 97%.

He doesn’t have to declare an emergency. The president has a few billion in wiggle room to use as he sees fit.

Blog Entries

Don't know what he will do. Conventional wisdom is that another showdown would hurt him. I believe he knows it actually helps him. In any event he has to makes progress on the wall. He is all about 2020 right now. Great stop in El Paso last night. Beto managed to make a fool of himself.
    Kingdom Warriors

He should build moats and stock them with alligators who like Mexican food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    He doesn’t have to declare an emergency. The president has a few billion in wiggle room to use as he sees fit.
    No, he does not

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    Don't know what he will do. Conventional wisdom is that another showdown would hurt him. I believe he knows it actually helps him. In any event he has to makes progress on the wall. He is all about 2020 right now. Great stop in El Paso last night. Beto managed to make a fool of himself.
    I thought Pelosi already gave him the wall on January 24?

No need for the wall. We've decided to charter buses to send the illegals to Minnesota. Problem solved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    I thought Pelosi already gave him the wall on January 24?
    You are not paying attention. Your checker board is way too much for you.
    Kingdom Warriors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Gopher View Post
    No need for the wall. We've decided to charter buses to send the illegals to Minnesota. Problem solved.
    That still requires a wall. Around Minnesota. They won't be happy when they see the largest achievement gaps in America upon arrival. Deflecting racism doesn't end racism.
    Kingdom Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    I'd declare it. Why not? What is the worst that could happen? He gets rejected and criticized by the press? They do that 24-7 anyway. But I agree with you on other funding. Dip into every single pot you can. I heard this idea the other day: Have the Texas governor declare the need for emergency funds. The challenge would then go to a Texas court instead of the 9th district leftist court. Then Trump can fund it without congress and without declaring a national emergency. Texas builds the wall, pressuring more illegals into other states, who then have to deal with the realities of perhaps declaring the same emergency.

Blog Entries

Source? Not doubting you, just curious.
    Kingdom Warriors

Blog Entries

I'd declare it. Why not? What is the worst that could happen?
    President AOC will declare climate change a national emergency and tax you 100%. 2 is already losing sleep over it.

Blog Entries

Perhaps, howdy. Even AOC is smarter than you. By a bunch. More accomplished as well. She was a bartender.
    Kingdom Warriors