Wisconsin's Jon Dietzen announces retirement due to injuries

They have some depth, so I think they'll be fine. The Bruss kid is good. Kasl from Forest Lake bailing from the program definitely hurts them.

They have some depth, so I think they'll be fine. The Bruss kid is good. Kasl from Forest Lake bailing from the program definitely hurts them.

They may be "fine" but doubt they will be close to as dominant as they were the last two years.

I didn't realize that Kasl left the Badger program. Any insight?

I strongly disagree.

4 of 5 starters are now gonzo, finished, kaput. The offensive line has to take a step back — unless the backups from last year are just as good as the departing former starters, which seems highly unlikely.

They are replacing 80% of their starters on their o-line, and the guys up front are crucial in the style of offense they play.

They have quality recruits. However it doesnt mean their OL will have the experience and be as productive.

When you start a very young OL, it almost always means ups and downs. If I had to guess, they will not be as dominant up front as they have been. Now...2020 will be better but for 2019, I'd say a slight regression

Never good for the sport, we've had a few early retirements.

Their younger guys will probably start slow, but they will be good in the back half of the year. Good coaching helps.

Cole Van Lanen was a pretty highly regarded recruit who started a number of games for them. It’s not like they will be starting 4 guys without game experience.

In addition to replacing four olinemen (three of them are at NFL combine), Badger run game needs to replace fullback Ingold (also at combine) and tight end Penniston, who started ten games last year but entered transfer portal.

In addition to replacing four olinemen (three of them are at NFL combine), Badger run game needs to replace fullback Ingold (also at combine) and tight end Penniston, who started ten games last year but entered transfer portal.

In my opinion, the Gopher offensive line has a fair chance to be equal to or even better than Wisconsin's in 2019.

At the end of last season, the Gophers were beating quality teams by relentlessly running the ball down their opponents' throats — the same way Wisconsin has done it for years.

Wisconsin has continually replaced NFL offensive lineman with NFL offensive lineman year after year. I don't know why next year would be any different.

But it doesn't matter, we own Wisconsin now.

Wisconsin has continually replaced NFL offensive lineman with NFL offensive lineman year after year. I don't know why next year would be any different.

Her's what will be different this time around: they must replace 4 out of 5 starters in the same season. That's going to be a challenge, no matter how you look at it.

Offensive lines have to work as a unit to be really effective. The new starters will need time to develop the necessary coordination and communication between players.

In the first half of 2019, the Badgers play Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State and Ohio State — all in a span of six weeks.

Their brand-new offensive line will have to synch up in a hurry.

Never like to see a kid retire from injuries. Hopefully its nothing that hurts his life/future.

Next year's starters will probably be ok, but if they are hit with any injuries in season that's when it's really going to hurt them.

Similar to our situation at NT. Thought we were starting a 5th yr senior and 6th yr senior, and all of a sudden both of them leave within a matter of weeks, so now the "quality depth" becomes the starters, and the developmental deep reserves are one injury away from having to play.

We win two in a row and I'm cutting an "Own, Wisconsin!" remix and putting it on youtube.

Never like to see a kid retire from injuries. Hopefully its nothing that hurts his life/future.

I love football and there is nothing like it.

Deep down though, I know these guys are destroying their bodies for my entertainment. I try not to think that way but the older I get, the more it's true.

The steroid program in Madison will not go away as long as Barry is there. There is a reason they have monsters up front every single year.

In my opinion, the Gopher offensive line has a fair chance to be equal to or even better than Wisconsin's in 2019.

At the end of last season, the Gophers were beating quality teams by relentlessly running the ball down their opponents' throats — the same way Wisconsin has done it for years.

I think it’s more than a chance. It’s likely. I think we’ve got great talent, experience, and great coaching. First time I’ve been optimistic about the OL in forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the take that our o-line could be better than Wisky’s next year. I disagree that Wisky is likely to fall of a cliff. Even though we have young talent on the o-line, we still don’t have depth. If we assume our starters from left to right next year are Dickson, Dunlap, Olson, Andries and Faalele, we only have one other player, Schleuter, with any real game experience.

I agree with the take that our o-line could be better than Wisky’s next year. I disagree that Wisky is likely to fall of a cliff. Even though we have young talent on the o-line, we still don’t have depth. If we assume our starters from left to right next year are Dickson, Dunlap, Olson, Andries and Faalele, we only have one other player, Schleuter, with any real game experience.

Did someone say they were going to "fall off a cliff"?

Ah, they’ll be young. Not much you can do with young players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on this board since 2009 and on average about once every other year I used to become convinced from reading other people's opinions that Wisconsin was in the process of returning to the consistent mediocre team that they were during most of my childhood. And they always bounce back. So I won't make that assumption again.

However, that doesn't mean I won't quit hoping it does happen at some point. They just had a very nice recruiting class so I would think they are seeing this past season as a dip in the road and nothing to be long-term concerned about. It was nice to not only beat them, but beat them convincingly in 2018. I don't think it is a stretch to say the MN o-line will be better than theirs in 2019 (barring injury) and when was the last time we could say that?

I have been on this board since 2009 and on average about once every other year I used to become convinced from reading other people's opinions that Wisconsin was in the process of returning to the consistent mediocre team that they were during most of my childhood. And they always bounce back. So I won't make that assumption again.

However, that doesn't mean I won't quit hoping it does happen at some point. They just had a very nice recruiting class so I would think they are seeing this past season as a dip in the road and nothing to be long-term concerned about. It was nice to not only beat them, but beat them convincingly in 2018. I don't think it is a stretch to say the MN o-line will be better than theirs in 2019 (barring injury) and when was the last time we could say that?

A long time. Maybe never, at least not since Alvarez put them on the map.

And to me, the o-line is the heart of the team. A team with a good o-line can run well. A team that can run well can impose their will on their opponents, and dominate time of possession, and even dictate how the other team runs their own offense, forcing them yo play catch-up.

I think moving Faalele into the starting lineup changed the entire demeanor of the Gophers last year. He is a physically imposing young man!

I'm sure Wisconsin has plenty of really good OLine prospects and their line will be just fine. Maybe not as dominant as years past, especially at the start of the season. But you have to be crazy to think they won't have a good OLine.

I'm sure Wisconsin has plenty of really good OLine prospects and their line will be just fine. Maybe not as dominant as years past, especially at the start of the season. But you have to be crazy to think they won't have a good OLine.

Last year the Badgers went 8-5, and they were not as dominant as they have been. And they will have to replace 4 of 5 starters on their o-line.

I don't know exactly what "they'll be fine" means, or how we would quantify "good" when it comes to o-line play.

But I certainly don't think it's crazy to say they face a daunting challenge up front, and to state that they might take a step back.

Top Bottom