B1G Game 14: Gophers Visit Purdue (2-14-19)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Role Reversal

Purdue (7-6) is headed one way; Minnesota (6-7) the other. The Boilers are 1-4 since defeating the Golden Gophers 64-53 at Williams Arena while Minnesota is 4-1.

Two of the Boiler’s four defeats were to Nebraska including last Sunday’s late loss in Lincoln. A Kate Cain layup with 1:48 remaining gave the Huskers a lead they never relinquished. Purdue led 20-14 at the end of one, 28-23 at the end of a scintillating second quarter and 48-42 heading into the fourth. Purdue’s switch from zone to man seemed to be working. Then, the Boilers went cold and Nebraska outscored them 12-4 in the game’s last 5:21.

Sharon Versyp might offer a different focus. Fouls. There were 24 fouls called against Purdue. Oden fouled out while Harris and McLaughlin picked up four each). Versyp was not pleased with the officiating-especially in the paint. The source of Versyps annoyance was Leigha Brown (30 points for the Huskers) whose drives down the lane collected 9 fouls against Purdue defenders. With Keke Bell leading the nation (as of February 8th) with 196 free throw attempts, Minnesota’s coaches should find the film review intriguing.

Going cold in the fourth is plaguing Purdue in recent outings. Against the Hawkeyes in Iowa City the Boilers rallied from 13 down to tie the score late in the 3rd quarter only to give up an 11-2 run as Iowa pulled away for a 58-72 win. Purdue also rallied from a 13 point half time deficit in East Lansing tying the Spartans with :57 seconds remaining before MSU outscored them 8 zip.

Naturally, the easiest way to defeat Purdue is to shoot over their normal zone. That’s what happened to Purdue in their first loss to Nebraska. The Husker’s Hannah Whitish (28 points) went 6-10 from three and the Huskers 11-27 from beyond the arc. This time, Purdue was cold early trailing 18-6 at the end of one. They never recovered and Nebraska swept to an 84-64 win.

Summing up: there are multiple ways to defeat the Boilers-even in Lafayette.

Some Numbers (B1G Games):

Scoring: 3rd Bell 18.5, 7th McLaughlin 15.7, 8th Oden 15.3 and 11th Pitts 13.5

Rebounds: 2nd T Bello 12.3, 4th Harris 9.3 and 5th Farquahar 8.7

3 Point %: 5th McLaughlin .371 and Pitts .319

Blocks: 1st Harris 3.2 and 6th T Bello 1.7

Minutes Played: 1st McLaughlin 38.9, 2nd Pitts 37.8, Bell 37.2 and 4th Oden 37.1

B1G Wins: Ohio State 60-42, Michigan 71-70, Iowa 62-57, Northwestern 57-54, Indiana 56-53, @ Minnesota 64-53, Illinois 72-50.

B1G Losses: @Wisconsin 69-76, @ Rutgers 63-65, @ Iowa 58-72, Nebraska 65-84, @ Michigan State 66-74, @ Nebraska 61-67.

Starters:

5’7” G So Karissa McLaughlin (15.7 points, 2.0 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 38.5 minutes/game)
5’8” G Jr Dominique Oden (15.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 37.1 minutes/game)
6’1” F Jr Ae’Rianna Harris (13.1 points, 9.3 rebounds in 35.1 minutes/game)
6’0” G So Tamara Farquhar (7.8 points, 8.7 rebounds in 33.0 minutes/game)
5’9” G Fr Kayana Traylor (4.7 points, 2.2 rebounds in 24.3 minutes/game)

Other:

5’11” G So Lyndsey Whilby (4.7 points, .09 rebounds in 10.4 minutes/game
6’4” C Jr Fatou Diagne (2.7 points, 3.0 rebounds in 9.5 minutes/game)
5’10” G Fr Cassidy Hardin (1.9 points, .04 rebounds in 14.0 minutes/game)

Gophers owe Purdue a tough game. That game Gophers were better team on floor, but went stone cold from the floor. That and everything Purdue threw up went in all game long. Snooty and uppity Purdue grads need to be taken down a notch. I have one at work im betting a good lunch on the Gophers.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Pretty big game in my opinion. You want to go into that final gauntlet stretch on a high note and what better high note than a 6 game winning streak. In order to get to 6 we need to get to 5 first. Very winnable game and one that definitely helps us out. Keep beating those teams ahead of you. I have a good feeling about this one. They've shown a lot of guts the last few games. Time for a full game win from start to finish.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/article_2475369f-3f42-5121-964e-a86ea22ab147.html

The Boilers talk Bello:

“The first time we played against them, we did a really good job boxing out No. 5,” junior guard Dominique Oden said. “That’s a really big key, boxing out and rebounding and just pushing the ball because if we (give) them too many offensive boards, it’s not going to be a good thing.”

Tonight’s game will ultimately be won on the glass. The Gophers’ junior forward Taiye Bello averages nearly 12 rebounds a game and has a knack for coming up with offensive boards.

Bello also has scoring ability down low, and Purdue’s forwards will have to make it a point to box out and not allow Bello to get easy looks off of missed shots.

“Bello can just dominate,” head coach Sharon Versyp said. “She’s always going to get 15-18 boards. You just don’t want her to score a lot of points.”

Pretty good description of T. Bello (as well as what K. Bello could develop into). Probably couldn’t have done a better description ourselves.

Go be exactly what Purdue doesn’t want you to be, Taiye!

6nANUn1.jpg

Multiple bad passes from Bell tonight.

Pitts is heating up and yes we need Bell to protect the ball.

Going to get their 7th W ! Really played inspired in the 4th.

A great performance. Have to consider the difference that exists for Whalen and her acceptance of the good and bad in Bell (7 TO) and Pitino who can't handle one mistake from Washington.

A great performance. Have to consider the difference that exists for Whalen and her acceptance of the good and bad in Bell (7 TO) and Pitino who can't handle one mistake from Washington.

The difference is defense. Bell is one of the best defenders in the country, Jelly is the worst defender on the team.

DESTINY!!!!

And a big thanks to Lamke for battling in the paint.

Plus it was nice to relax the last two minutes of a game.

What a 4th quarter performance tonight, 20-2 to finish it up. Irene the unsung hero her defense the 2nd half was tremendous on McLaughin.

Excellent point ! IW has tremendous talent and yes he makes mistakes but Pitino has way too short a leash on him. One error and he is benched. Yet Pitino will watch McBrayer lay brick walls game after game. Jelly will never get confidence if he is not allowed to play more minutes and work through his development.

Really nice road win for our Gophers. Pitts with a terrific second half. She was 10-12 from the field for the game, 5-6 FTs, and 7 rebounds. Big three for Perez to put the Gophers up by 13 and provide a dagger in the 4th quarter. Not the best of games for Bello with 6 TOs and only 5 rebounds. Lamke with some valuable minutes off the bench. Brunson started the game hot for the Gophers. Bell with 7 turnovers, but 9 rebounds. Gophers defense really solid the entire game. Gophers still need to do a much better job of cutting down on the turnovers. But all in all, a good road win for the Gophers.

That's the kind of win I was looking for! That 4th quarter was unbelievably good! Let's keep this thing rolling!

Excellent point ! IW has tremendous talent and yes he makes mistakes but Pitino has way too short a leash on him. One error and he is benched. Yet Pitino will watch McBrayer lay brick walls game after game. Jelly will never get confidence if he is not allowed to play more minutes and work through his development.

DEFENSE. Go back and watch Jellys minute or so last night, he made 2 defensive mistakes and cost the team 5 pts and then dribbled out the shot clock. He just has no clue what hes doing defensively.

Purdue in the fourth: 0-11 FG, 2-4 FT and 8 turnovers.

Now that's a rare box score.

What a 4th quarter performance tonight, 20-2 to finish it up. Irene the unsung hero her defense the 2nd half was tremendous on McLaughin.

I agree 100%. The team has played so much better with Irene in the lineup. She handles the ball well; doesn't commit TOs; can hit threes when the time is right; plays defense; and she has foot speed, can cover the court well. Plus you don't notice her much until you realize all the things she's doing.

DEFENSE. Go back and watch Jellys minute or so last night, he made 2 defensive mistakes and cost the team 5 pts and then dribbled out the shot clock. He just has no clue what hes doing defensively.

I've been to or watched every game. No doubt he does not consistently play good D and neither do multiple other players. The flip side is he is a true point guard and many times the offense flows better when he is on the court because the others can play their more natural position. Like Coffey on the wing- he is not a PG. I think he needs more PT and a coach who encourages him. He will probably leave so this discussion will be a moot point next year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lamke turns the game.

I've been to or watched every game. No doubt he does not consistently play good D and neither do multiple other players. The flip side is he is a true point guard and many times the offense flows better when he is on the court because the others can play their more natural position. Like Coffey on the wing- he is not a PG. I think he needs more PT and a coach who encourages him. He will probably leave so this discussion will be a moot point next year.
The point is the fact that Whalen has made her job to support Bell's play, which means accepting that a true point guard is going to be out of control sometimes. The last two games I've watched she has been amazing - and has had 7+ turnovers. I would argue that we have no idea who IW is because he's rarely been allowed to be in the flow of the game. When he has, his defense doesnt suck.
This is a compliment to Whalen's ability to make adjustments and draw out the best in her players by giving them room to develop. This is a very positive sign for the future of the program

A very solid effort for the full length of the game by the Gophers! Well done!

Pitts outscored the entire Purdue team in the second half. One of the things I really liked about her game tonight was that she didn't just rely on threes. She had some pull-up jumpers, some drives to the hoop, and some layups. IMO, her best overall offensive game as a Gopher, even though she's scored more points in previous games.

There's no doubt that moving Perez into the rotation has been one of the reasons for the Gophers recent success. That being said, I'll point out that if Hubbard had been healthy this year, the Gophers may have even been experiencing more success, especially offensively. (It could be argued that Perez might be a better defender, but Hubbard is a much better offensive player.)

Just finished watching the recording (easier to do when you know we won). I must say I surprised to see us not fade in the 4th quarter. But in part that was due to Purdue's lack of scoring (which Gophers get credit for on defense). BTN analyst Vera Jones noted that many of the turnovers were due to the strong defenses employed by both teams as opposed to careless turnovers (which we have seen in previous games).

Great win. Now let's just not let up in the next one.

Top Bottom