Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Field of 68 Projection (through Feb. 10)

NET rankings in parentheses and are through games played Feb. 12.

FIELD OF 68

America East (1): Vermont (67)

American (3): *Houston (5), Cincinnati (23), UCF (45)

ACC (9): *Duke (1), Virginia (3), North Carolina (9), Virginia Tech (13), Louisville (16), Florida State (26), NC State (37), Clemson (39), Syracuse (47)

ASUN (1): Lipscomb (30)

Atlantic 10 (1): VCU (43)

Big East (5): Marquette (19), *Villanova (21), Saint John's (48), Butler (53), Seton Hall (69)

Big Sky (1): Montana (111)

Big South (1): Radford (123)

B1G (9): Michigan State (7), *Michigan (8), Purdue (11), Wisconsin (15), Maryland (22), Iowa (29), Ohio State (36), Indiana (49), GOPHERS (58)

Big XII (7): Texas Tech (10), Iowa State (17), Kansas (18), *Kansas State (25), Baylor (32), TCU (33), Texas (34)

Big West (1): UC-Irvine (108)

CAA (1): Hofstra (51)

Conference USA (1): Old Dominion (84)

Horizon (1): Northern Kentucky (104)

Ivy (1): Yale (62)

MAAC (1): Monmouth (275)

MAC (1): Buffalo (24)

MEAC (1): Norfolk State (251)

Missouri Valley (1): Loyola-Chicago (114)

Mountain West (1): Nevada (12)

NEC (1): Robert Morris (259)

OVC (1): Belmont (60)

Pac 12 (2): *Washington (31), Arizona State (72)

Patriot (1): Bucknell (152)

SEC (8): *Tennessee (4), Kentucky (6), LSU (14), Auburn (20), Mississippi State (27), Ole Miss (35), Alabama (44), Arkansas (63)

SoCon (1): Wofford (28)

Southland (1): Sam Houston State (170)

SWAC (1): Prairie View A&M (230)

Summit (1): South Dakota State (93)

Sun Belt (1): Texas State (113)

WCC (1): Gonzaga (2)

WAC (1): New Mexico State (59)

Last 4 In: UCF (45), Indiana (49), Butler (53), Arkansas (63)

First 4 Out: Utah State (38), Oklahoma (41), NC-Greensboro (46), Temple (55)

Movin' On In: Arkansas, Bucknell, Butler, Clemson, Monmouth, NC State, Seton Hall, Texas State, Yale

Movin' On Out: Bowling Green, Davidson, Georgia State, Lehigh, NC-Greensboro, Oklahoma, Princeton, Rider, Utah State

Non-Power 6 At-Larges (2): Cincinnati (23), UCF (45)

Gophers vs. Projected Field of 68: 3-6 (Iowa W, Maryland L, @ Michigan L, @ Michigan State L, @ Ohio State L, @ Purdue L, vs. Washington W, @ Wisconsin W, Wisconsin L
    Last edited by SelectionSunday; 02-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.

This opinion is specific to Indiana but encompasses my feelings in general. I wish the NCAA would make a rule that you had to be at least .500 in conference to make the tourney. I don't care about NET, RPI, SAGRIN, LMNOP, if you can't win half your games in conference, you shouldn't play in the tourney. I'd rather see good and fun small conference teams. Just IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNGophfan View Post
    This opinion is specific to Indiana but encompasses my feelings in general. I wish the NCAA would make a rule that you had to be at least .500 in conference to make the tourney. I don't care about NET, RPI, SAGRIN, LMNOP, if you can't win half your games in conference, you shouldn't play in the tourney. I'd rather see good and fun small conference teams. Just IMO.
    1. That very likely means we aren’t making it because there’s a strong chance we go 9-11.

2. Indiana beat Marquette and Louisville. I think they will likely miss out due to overall record if they stay on this path but that’s as good or better than our big wins of @WI and Washington.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNGophfan View Post
    I donít disagree with you.

It will never happen because it would hurt the major conferences, but Iím a proponent of the must be .500 in conference requirement. But the caveat is that would include conference tournament games. I think Joe Lunardi was the first person I saw bring this up.

So (for example) a 10-10 Big Ten team would have to win a conference tourney game just to be eligible for at-large bid. Or (another example), a 9-11 team would have to win 3 just to be eligible. Certainly would add a little extra juice to most of the major conference tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    I donít disagree with you.

It will never happen because it would hurt the major conferences, but Iím a proponent of the must be .500 in conference requirement. But the caveat is that would include conference tournament games. I think Joe Lunardi was the first person I saw bring this up.

So (for example) a 10-10 Big Ten team would have to win a conference tourney game just to be eligible for at-large bid. Or (another example), a 9-11 team would have to win 3 just to be eligible. Certainly would add a little extra juice to most of the major conference tournaments.
    Good points. I would be good with that (not that anybody in power cares about what I think).

Quote Originally Posted by RickDornsby View Post
    1. That very likely means we aren’t making it because there’s a strong chance we go 9-11.

2. Indiana beat Marquette and Louisville. I think they will likely miss out due to overall record if they stay on this path but that’s as good or better than our big wins of @WI and Washington.
    Indiana also has that pesky little win at Michigan State. Still i do not think they will make it. Have thought for years that no one under .500 in any conference should not get in.

I really hope teams like Buffalo, Wofford, Lispcomb and Belmont lose their conference tournaments(and get in as at larges) because seeing the last 4 in makes me want to puke. I mean for christ sakes a team like UCF is 3-3 against the top 100 of the NET, has a Q4 loss, no Q1 wins, and they are still in contention? That's atrocious. Give it to a team like UNC Greensboro, at least they don't have any bad losses and actually HAVE a Q1 win. Not calling you out specifically SS, just an overall general thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7633 View Post
    I really hope teams like Buffalo, Wofford, Lispcomb and Belmont lose their conference tournaments(and get in as at larges) because seeing the last 4 in makes me want to puke. I mean for christ sakes a team like UCF is 3-3 against the top 100 of the NET, has a Q4 loss, no Q1 wins, and they are still in contention? That's atrocious. Give it to a team like UNC Greensboro, at least they don't have any bad losses and actually HAVE a Q1 win. Not calling you out specifically SS, just an overall general thought.
    No offense taken. I, too, would like to see some of the high-quality mid-majors that don’t win their confefence tourney get in.

Big week for the Gophers NCAA tournament hopes and Pitino.

While I don't think it's required that they sweep this weeks games, it would definitely open up their margin of error. At the same time, every tournament team is beating Nebraska right now and you want to defend your home court against a team that's in a similar, somewhat worse, position for a NCAA tournament berth.

For Pitino, he has to stop this losing streak at Nebraska. If he doesn't, then at home vs. Indiana is almost a must win.

Quote Originally Posted by Winona Gopher View Post

While I don't think it's required that they sweep this weeks games, it would definitely open up their margin of error. At the same time, every tournament team is beating Nebraska right now and you want to defend your home court against a team that's in a similar, somewhat worse, position for a NCAA tournament berth.

For Pitino, he has to stop this losing streak at Nebraska. If he doesn't, then at home vs. Indiana is almost a must win.
    Both games are must wins, especially from a psychological perspective. Team not mentally tough enough to recover from another setback. Wheels fall off if we don't go 2-0.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winona Gopher View Post

If they lose to Nebraska, their NCAA hopes drop from 50/50 to 10%. If they lose both, they're done. There is zero chance they're going 4-1 in the last 5. Both games this week are basically must win.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    If they lose to Nebraska, their NCAA hopes drop from 50/50 to 10%. If they lose both, they're done. There is zero chance they're going 4-1 in the last 5. Both games this week are basically must win.
    I agree with this.

I also think if they lose to Nebraska, the wheels will fall off and they lose out. They aren't mentally tough and a defeat to Nebraska will certainly put them in more of a tailspin than they are already in.

Blog Entries

For whatever it’s worth, TeamRankings, which puts their Sagarin/KenPom-like projections ahead to future games puts our tournament odds at 13.4% right now. Of course that is probably being a bit nice to how good Nebraska currently is and things like that. Projected record is 18.3-12.7 so it thinks we will finish 2-5, maybe 3-4.

We will probably be underdogs in 6 of the final 7 games. A lot of them will feature close spreads, though.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    They don’t need 4 wins to make tourney.

3 wins an a BTT win gets them in.
    Look how awful the bubble is

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    They donít need 4 wins to make tourney.

3 wins an a BTT win gets them in.
    Look how awful the bubble is
    Maybe, but I donít think so. Donít forget, we can count on a few bids being stolen in conference tournaments. The bubble will shrink, and even with a ďweakĒ bubble (if thatís the case) 20-13 would be pretty dicey territory.